What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stupid Questions about Dumb TV Shows

St. Phatty

I just watched the movie Underwater, with Kristen Stewart.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5774060/

For a low-budget movie, it's good.

If you like Kristen Stewart, it's good.

At a mining rig 8000 feet down. 240 atmospheres, 3600 psi.

SPOILER ALERT.

In the end, 2 of the humans are escaping to the surface, and then the monster starts chasing the escaping humans.

So she makes a show of saving the escaping humans, by blowing up the power generator for the mine.

Do you really think you could harm a creature that lives underwater at 3600 psi, by blowing up a (non-nuclear) power generator 100 yards away ?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Reality is a different deal. Those Russian sub sailors who were trapped in the Kursk were only a couple hundred feet down.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just watched the movie Underwater, with Kristen Stewart.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5774060/

For a low-budget movie, it's good.

If you like Kristen Stewart, it's good.

At a mining rig 8000 feet down. 240 atmospheres, 3600 psi.

SPOILER ALERT.

In the end, 2 of the humans are escaping to the surface, and then the monster starts chasing the escaping humans.

So she makes a show of saving the escaping humans, by blowing up the power generator for the mine.

Do you really think you could harm a creature that lives underwater at 3600 psi, by blowing up a (non-nuclear) power generator 100 yards away ?

sure,that's more or less how depth charges work...it's the pressure wave that does the damage...at that depth it would be like getting smacked by dense gel going just under the speed of sound

troutman

Seed Whore
3,600 psi would crush you. ;)

Kristen Stewart would live cause she has jello for brains and it's hard to compress jello. :laughing:

St. Phatty

Was going to send "Underwater" back after 1 watch.

But if I just listen to it, I don't have to see the crappy special effects.

The slabs of broken concrete at the Staff Living Quarters ? Well maybe if it was built above ground and then barged into place and then sunk.

The motel 6 look of the Staff Living Quarters ? Couldn't they have borrowed some of the sets from The Matrix, some of those living quarters looked better for pressure.

BUT WHAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.

On Sons of Anarchy, they are looking for ways to make money.

They have a Chapter in Rogue River, where you can buy Sniper Quality rifles & semi-auto's ... as much as you want !
Same in Nevada, where they also have a chapter.

It seems very wierd that they are importing IRA wares, and some Russian guns - but ignorring some very high quality CHEAP American hardware.

Also, they are already selling hardware without reg. numbers. Super highly illegal.

It's no more illegal to buy firearms in another US State, and to then remove the reg. number. Also Super highly illegal.

Also, in Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, AND The Closer, they all have episodes where they dispose of bodies using Hydrochloric or Hydrofluoric acid.

Are they trying to educate the American people on the subject - or is it just a catchy plot point ?

The entire 2nd and 3rd episodes of Breaking Bad are about their body disposal situation.

What is up with that ?!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
there are forms of concrete /cement that can be pumped into molds underwater & it will set under those conditions. i watched then repair some bridge pilings on a river near here...

buzzmobile

Veteran
Call it fiction and enjoy the show.
suspension.jpg