What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

using my hands...

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
my wife is a "pointer". you know, (points and says ) "we need to do this and this and this..." when i know she really means "you are going to do this while i critique..."

Mine is a "ponter" as well. And I used to not like this before meeting her. But she's so cute and I like to do stuff so it works out. She doesn't critique me much, tho. I do a good job usually.

hayday

Veteran
What is it with women and the inability to break down a used, empty cardboard box? We have limited space at the country house and my lady has it all occupied with empty boxes.
I broke down a huge amount of them the other weekend and hauled them but the recycle center was full up. She went for a girls weekend last week and just left them be...again.
I'll do it, dang it

armedoldhippy

Veteran
What is it with women and the inability to break down a used, empty cardboard box? We have limited space at the country house and my lady has it all occupied with empty boxes.
I broke down a huge amount of them the other weekend and hauled them but the recycle center was full up. She went for a girls weekend last week and just left them be...again.
I'll do it, dang it

maybe she is saving them to use when she moves out? that's what i keep hoping for...

hayday

Veteran
image.jpg
Been married awhile eh?
once again...

St. Phatty

What is it with women and the inability to break down a used, empty cardboard box?
I'll do it, dang it

I try to use all that cardboard.
I need a thing about 8 feet by 12 feet to protect stuff from the sun.
Was thinking about using 2 pieces of 4x8 plywood 1/4 inch, and 1 home made piece of cardboard glued together & varathaned, also 4x8.

I'll probably never get around to it.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I'll do it, dang it

We keep a box in the kitchen for recycle plastic and another for all clean paper (junk mail often contains too much personal info) and cardboard packaging (food wrappers and cereal boxes)

I have to break the packaging boxes down too, otherwise it fills up the "burn box" too quickly,, About every 5 days or so so I take it out to the burn barrel, out back by the workshop.

By the way, I'm using my hands to build an extension onto the workshop building, for a little more storage space... about 8 ft. x 24 ft...
Got the floor joists framed up today... I enjoy doing the carpentry work, but it's the constant bending over to pick shit up that is killing my old back!

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I came across a bag of quarters from my younger days, as in all pre 1965 coins.
Back then the coins were 90% silver. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver.
I bought a plug and play smelter from Amazon and melted some .999 silver to the quarters to bring it to sterling silver standards, egal to stamp 'Sterling 925' on any casting. I got it yesterday and here is a picture of the first try. Yow, harder than I thought but doable.
Silver casting to order, my daughter is artistic and can do lost wax carvings. When I learn to pour nice casting then she will spend the effort. I am not there yet.
The photo shows the casting from some .999 fine on the bottom to a copper mix that did not mix on top. The round button is sterling but the one next to it is a piece that stuck together but did not mix at all, a strip of .999 stuck to copper alloy.

But this is a fun hobby for my age and abilities. Most assuredly not boring.

Attachments

• photo2036701.jpg
    photo2036701.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 19

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
When I was 15 I used to melt lead... I made fishing sinkers from it...
I even carved a mold in a piece of wood and poured a cool "peace sign" medallion, that I put on a leather thong and wore around my neck...

:yay:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I came across a bag of quarters from my younger days, as in all pre 1965 coins.
Back then the coins were 90% silver. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver.
I bought a plug and play smelter from Amazon and melted some .999 silver to the quarters to bring it to sterling silver standards, egal to stamp 'Sterling 925' on any casting. I got it yesterday and here is a picture of the first try. Yow, harder than I thought but doable.
Silver casting to order, my daughter is artistic and can do lost wax carvings. When I learn to pour nice casting then she will spend the effort. I am not there yet.
The photo shows the casting from some .999 fine on the bottom to a copper mix that did not mix on top. The round button is sterling but the one next to it is a piece that stuck together but did not mix at all, a strip of .999 stuck to copper alloy.

But this is a fun hobby for my age and abilities. Most assuredly not boring.

that would be perfect for making mokume gane...where you take alternating layers of copper and silver,stack them up then solder them together,then draw that out,cut it into sections,restack and solder together,draw it out....etc...usually until you have say 70 layers...then it can be patterned much the same way as damascus steel...you only need like 1000 bucks worth of tools to do it! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts