What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do I change my Kannastor kief screen?

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
I have a 3-piece aluminum Kannastor grinder with the kief screen at the bottom. I took the old one out and went to replace it with a new one today and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Does anyone know how to put the replacement into these damn grinders?

:wallbash:

JohnnyATL

Veteran
you have to squeeze the little metal thing under the grinder together and the screen comes out

u might need the little tool

K.J

Veteran
you have to squeeze the little metal thing under the grinder together and the screen comes out

u might need the little tool

Shit, seriously? That thing bends? I thought that might be the key but when I tried to move it, it wouldn't budge. I'll have to find a tool to work it with. Thanks!

K.J

Veteran
Ok, so let's say I'm actually able to find a tool that helps me bend this thing without slipping off (I have no needle nose pliers at the moment). Do I take the ring all the way out, put the screen down, and then install the ring again? Or is there some other method?

JohnnyATL

Veteran
i dont have one, my friend does. with that in mind i would assume you take it out hten put the screen in the put it back in

K.J

Veteran
Man, I tried everything I could to get this ring bent with no luck. Sometimes I was able to bend the two ends toward each other for a brief moment, before the tool slipped off and they snapped back into place. I can't imagine what kind of force it'll take to get it out of there. What a fucked up design. Good job Kannastor.

K.J

Veteran
why would you need to change the screen?

Because they get worn out after a while, the holes expand and stretch. They sell replacement screens for it, so I figured putting new one in every 4-5 months might not be a bad idea.

C

Chamba

What a fucked up design. Good job Kannastor.

yeah, it's all Kannastor's fault! lol you should sue them for pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life

Kannastor is the only aluminum screen grinder with a replaceable mesh....the one I have here came with an extra mesh

use the correct tool to remove the C ring and you will be able to remove and replace the mesh screen in about 8 seconds....normal pliers will not work, you need C ring pliers (I'm not sure of the name of this tool in the USA?)

C

Chamba

Because they get worn out after a while, the holes expand and stretch.

not my experience, as the screens are made of stainless steel......I find it hard to believe that with normal use the mesh holes would expand and stretch???? what do you do? shake the unit or do you poke it with a nail or grind rocks?

K.J

Veteran
Hey Chamba, thanks for all of your kind words of wisdom. Really, that's awesome of you.

Kannastor did indeed do a shitty job of designing a way to easily replace these screens. The first thing the did wrong is to NOT include the instructions on how to do it. The second thing they did wrong is to not sell the tool you need or at least explain to you what it is and where to get it. I mean, seriously. They should look to Vaporbrothers for advice; those cats not only explain how to replace the screen in your whip, but they have even posted a step by step YouTube video on how it's done. Oh, and they also sell you the freakin' tools you need to do it!

I have never seen C-ring pliers, but I'll look into them, thanks for the tip.

K.J

Veteran
Because they get worn out after a while, the holes expand and stretch.

not my experience, as the screens are made of stainless steel......I find it hard to believe that with normal use the mesh holes would expand and stretch???? what do you do? shake the unit or do you poke it with a nail or grind rocks?

Well, call it whatever you want, but I noticed that the kief I'm getting now is a tad more contaminated with plant matter than it was before. Now, maybe I jacked my screen up somehow and that's not the norm; I sure hope so because this is the last time I'm taking the screen out (if I ever get it back in).

JohnnyATL

Veteran
lol sorry about your distress! I think my buddies came with his tool and a little velvet bag to carry it all around in

K.J

Veteran
lol sorry about your distress! I think my buddies came with his tool and a little velvet bag to carry it all around in

Lol, thanks, it's all good...I'm really being just a bit dramatic. I did get a nice bag with mine (not velvet though), but no tool! Maybe it just got left out of my package. I'm going to hit the hardware store today and see if I can't find a good tool to use.