This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clowntown
    I'm not an "original IC member" that saw the influx of new members since the shutdown of OG; in fact, I'm one of the new members (although I wasn't on OG, timing was just a coincidence).

So apologies if I don't quite "belong" here but I'm feeling a bit swamped by the "new attitude" that I don't think I've seen all that much of, before. Maybe it's always been like this; or maybe it's because I'm noticing more of the same from spending more time on the forums.

What I mean by the "new attitude" are the extremely new members who will fight to the death and refuse to do their homework & research, and pretty much expect you to do everything short of coming over and growing for them. They refuse to search, they refuse to read, and only want direct answers to direct questions, or they get pissy as if something is owed to them.

Is it just me, or are any of you seeing this pattern as well?

I had a chance to talk to some folks at some shops and they're telling me that nowadays, more than ever before, there is a flood of "new breed" customers coming in... the types that they didn't see nearly as much of before. And we're both suspecting that this has quite a bit to do with the current foreclosure crisis in the USA combined with -- as much as some might hate to admit -- the HBO series "Weeds".

I think a living proof of this suspicion is this so-called Oaksterdam University. When I first heard about them about a year or so ago, I recall they were doing single, (relatively) small classrooms at either the OCBC or the coffee shop next to it, or something in some backroom somewhere (I forgot exactly). For those of you who have been to downtown Oakland recently, you'll notice that they have a pretty prominent location right on Broadway, with "Oaksterdam University" in big white letters with all sorts of pro-pot posters all over the windows. I peeked in to find LOTS of tables, chairs, drawing boards, and whatnot. Looks like a pretty successful operation so far. (For those of you unaware of what Oaksterdam University is... in a nutshell, it's a class that teaches complete noobs how to grow pot.)

Again... is it just me, or are any of you seeing this pattern as well?
    CT...long time no talk....I think it just comes with the territory....anytime you have a bunch of teens, early 20's (like it or not our hobby is mostly followed by folks in that age group) you get that kind of thing.....I usually just bail on the thread if I sense it going that way...don't let em ruin your day bro

Comment

Oh boy

Hello Clowntown:

Yes, I see this attitude.

Yes, many others my age 40+ have noticed it too.

There was an entire piece on 60 minutes about the 20 something generation in the work place. Some of the things covered were what people are saying in this thread.

In the 60 minutes segment they showed classes being conducted at some rather large corporations for new to business 20 something folks that teaches things like

showing up for work on time

showing up for work on a regular basis

showing up even if its a nice day

your Boss may not reward you simply for 'trying"

you may not get raises if you dont do a good job

etc etc..

It seemed to have something to do with the their parents telling them that everything they did was great, that they deserve a great job, and lots and lots of money, and they deserve everything their heart could desire.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Its better than what my folks did , which was to say that LIFE IS HARD AND YOU HAVE TO STRUGGLE THE WHOLE WAY AND YOU WILL STLL PROBABLY ONLY GET PEANUTS.

But what seemed to be lacking in the parenting skills for the younger generation is that some of the ideas were not completely practical.

Without anyone coming out too harshly they were saying that it actually takes work and effort and skill to make alot of money and have lots of things[sometimes] and its not just automatically going to come to you.

Despite what you see on CSI MIAMI not EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD LIVES IN A BRIGHT SHINY UPSCALE BUILDING WITH SWIMMING POOLS FOR EACH ROOM AND THE MOST EXPENSIVE SHINY CAR THAT IS AVAILABLE.

If its being noticed enough that BIG BUSINESS has to have classes on basic work ethics, then you are probably right Clowntown.

sw
      I wish you Peace and a Warm Southwind blowing gently through the leaves. :smile:

:wink: my kindness does not equate to weakness.

SEEDS~HILL TEMPLE COLLECTIVE ~SEEDS
      [Official Test Grower]

Comment

grew up in a shed with dirt floor and my brothers and sisters.Thats where we are headed back down that old dirt road.
        All Energy,food and life comes from the Sun.

Comment

Then you let them carry on with their theories, whether they be right or wrong.

If their theory was wrong, you can have your little "ha ha, told you so" and they can learn from experience. Everyone wins.

If their theory was right; then you might want to be a little more open-minded about things and strive to learn more. So instead of thinking you know more, you should go out and learn more.

Comment

such good points from clowntown and southwind. although I am also an extremely new member I observe the same things as you all do and i find it quite pathetic. Instead of seeking out(researching) the answers they need, they demand that someone go out of their way just to help them. I feel it creates an unfair prejudice towards the new members that actually go out and research their problems. Because most people just look at how new a user is and if the majority of new users are complete tools..Then the Ones who arent will still be treated as such
            Last edited by BigRedBud; 08-16-2008, 14:55.

Comment

I was talking to my gilrfriend about this 2 weeks ago , and sometimes sitting down having coffey and reading threads ... you realize that you have spent the last 20 min reading about some bs argue .... from people who just cant behave or be polite.

im 28 years old and have been growing for 10, and i wouldent question someone i think knows more on the subject. and i have learned everything i know about growing from the web and books. and so far i have only asked one question here and that was in the infirmary , and never got answered....

isent this supossed to be an gathered source of information for all of us alike ?

i always try to learn something new when im on ic ... and that has always been a goal for me , to become better at what im doing.

Comment

Not all people in their early 20's are like this, in fact some are awsome, but I too have noticed a real pattern in the last 5 years.

1)really bad attitude (they know it all & totally ungrateful)
                2)no work ethic
                3)don't keep their word, and have no shame about it

(again, this does not apply to everyone in their early 20's)

ie: should I really have to go to someone's house and wake them up just to get them to pull their own weight in a partnership? then they are mad at me? lol that didn't last long

---------

aside from this, I saw this documentary on young males in china and how they are all 'only childs' and some were so spoiled it was frightening, they'd make Dr Phil pee his pants

Here is an old news clip of Charles 'Reeferman' Scott when he was "Aryan of the year"
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPms8...eature=related
                I am not 'outing' him. Everybody knows his name since his book interview in 2005 when he stupidly gave it. He has done everything to get into the public's eye including going on Jerry Springer and calling him a 'hook nosed kike' and the audience various other racial slurs. Real classy.

This is a buyer beware, of poor character and poor seeds.
                .....reefs gear from last two years: diluted. overpriced. shitty germ rates/hermies. green beans.
                For $120 -$180 per 10 seeds you could do a hell of a lot better.

This is $300 worth of seeds, can you guess the germ rate?
                http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/50...reen_seeds.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy Nirvana
                  ...and not as a vehicle to promote (or demote) your own ego's by constantly cyber-bashing other members who might voice a different point of view to your own........civily.......and sensibly......
                  Agreed.Too much of the one-upmanship thang going on.And not anywhere near enough respect for one another.That,and SELF respect seems the to be the one thing that this generation is lacking.I think the new attitude says that NO amount of respect will be given until it is earned.I was taught that you say ma'am and sir.If I screwed up and didn't,I would have been picking myself up from the floor.EVERYONE deserves a certain amount of respect,just because they're thinking,feeling human beings.

It hasn't been so long ago since there was a program in our school systems named Dare that had the police teaching my nieces that if they ever saw drugs in their home,or anywhere else,they should tell the authorities.We actually allowed them to teach our kids to disrespect family values in the name of THE LAW.I didn't jump up and scream in indignation,therefore I blame myself and all other pacifists that allowed that type of thing to continue.I made my bed,and am having to lay in it.
                  Peace
                  Last edited by hardhat22; 08-21-2008, 14:26. Reason: Illiteracy :D
                  < Previous Joke | Next Joke >

"When someone tells you that it isn't the sun that influences climate but the kind of light bulbs you have in your house and that they're going to fix the weather by raising taxes maybe you should think twice before you vote for them."
                  Some cool guy on the net

Comment

I agree with you that shows like Weeds and even all the million dollar busts are bring a new variety of people into the forums. Some searching for millions, others want small grows, and then the guys in between.

Tell me if it makes sense to someone or maybe i'm just high. I compare icmag to gardening. I look at icmag as the soil/medium. the new members that come in are new unknown seed stock while older participating members are the established moms you want to work with (obviously you can't clone these guys, but work with me..). i think that icmag is one of the biggest forums around, attracting a variety of stock (users) and giving a better chance of finding keepers/moms (friends/info). Not every new seed is a good one, most you won't keep or bother with, but you'll have better luck with more selection.

Just like growing, it takes time to learn how to read and ignore the trolls, but its harder to do for some more than others. I've been on other forums (non-weed) and had my share of the bullshit. Its amazing how a few words on a screen can set off so many emotions in a person. I think trying to avoid trolls is almost impossible, it comes with the territory (internet).
                    IcM a G!

Comment

I've noticed that the larger and more popular a site gets.....the more varied the membership becomes.

Humans are humans........with all of their different personalities, emotions, likes and dislikes, politics, education, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, levels of wealth (or poverty) and so on.

This site is very unique in that it functions as well as it does.....with such diversity.

The only common thread that ties everyone together is a desire to learn more about cannabis and how to have the best of it for oneself (and others).

The rules set up for this site......and the mods and admins.....are what allows a site this large and diverse to succeed.

Now and then, some members come here with "other than honorable" intent. They could be competitors or members of other forums attempting to discredit this site for their selfish gain......they could be groups or individuals that only want to cause trouble.

A community like this should know that these situations will sometimes be present and need to be addressed by mods and admin. Members aware of these issues should notify those in charge so that they can be addressed.

One of the most important things to understand.......is that this is a darned good place to enjoy a common interest. Keeping emotions under control when responding to other member's posts is important and commands a lot of respect.

I think this site is sometimes too lax in addressing some of the irresponsible attacks on some members and could be improved. But that's just my opinion and I am very insignificant in the scheme of things.

Have a good day....
                      Last edited by FourBearer; 08-24-2008, 19:11.

Comment

isn't this what they used to say about the baby boomers.they are young dumb and full of they will come around.
                        If a nation expects to be ignorant -- and free ... it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

School has started in some US states ... maybe things will chill out now that the Younger Crowd has better things to be doing than acting like dickheads at a weed site. There's too many adult assholes here for all that ... remember ... dickheads and assholes don't mix!

Comment

I can't remember what I am,been called both!
                            To Whom it may concern!

Comment

(cough asshole) (cough cough) Sorry ... went a bit hard on the deez ... where were we?
                              Last edited by Weedman Herb; 08-31-2008, 22:52.

Comment

Clowntown is making valid observations.

Unfortunately, the "just show me " attitude is not limited to this site, or growing or anything else in particular.I have run across this OFTEN in my 41 years.Just like herb, people come in an endless array of phenotypes. It is more than likely a combo of youth and human mentally lazy phenotype.
                                Kinda like leaf deformations, sometimes it will grow out, sometimes not.

Fortunately, these types don't usually hang around long.
                                Last edited by sunnydog; 09-08-2008, 17:48.
                                SD

Blumats! Automatic watering!

Vertical Blumat grow

Blumat adjustment procedure: (for soil)In a bucket ,fill and soak units under water for at LEAST an hour. Then screw on cap( nice and tight!) under water making sure not to trap any air.
                                Leave dripper line at ~8cm. long.
                                Give the pot a good watering.
                                Insert B/M snugly into nicely compacted soil(not too loose) .
                                Open till water comes out, carefully close until just a drop barely forms.
                                Tighten 1.75 - 2 Arrows
                                Adjust as necessary for a few days, then leave it alone!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Working...
                                X