What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snake repellents

N

New_gorilla

Is there anything out there that is snake repellent ?I'm just wondering as I am doing outdoors next year and found a decent place but oversly it's abit over grown near the water and most likely have some snakes laying in the grass, adders ect I live in the UK so there the only poisness ones out there and don't fancy being bit by one. I will need one that works I have looked but most of them say they ain't no good.

P

pongster

buy boots, tough ones, coat them with something thick;

you are going to their home to grow, why go and poison their place. you adapt.
best regards,

N

New_gorilla

buy boots, tough ones, coat them with something thick;

you are going to their home to grow, why go and poison their place. you adapt.
best regards,

I don't want to kill the snakes I just want something that I can spray on my legs to keep them away, I don't want any animals dieing in process if possible.

P

pongster

I don't want to kill the snakes I just want something that I can spray on my legs to keep them away, I don't want any animals dieing in process if possible.

hi bro thats good to read! :D
i was even thinking that you can tie some chains to your boots... make sure tall boots and with some chains,
i dont think any chemical will prevent 100% that an angry snake will bite you, but chains will stop anything...

cheers
:rasta:

MedFaced

Snakes will generally avoid you. If they bite, it’s almost always because they got stepped on or feel cornered. I have had a rattlesnake literally slide over my work boot while I was using a gas weed wacker. I was cutting grass, fucked up it’s home, didn’t see it until it was going across my foot, and it still just took off. No attempts to bite me or nothing.

I don’t see how you can repel something that would be a surprise encounter. Maybe clear up the area as best as you can to create a spot where it easier for both you and any snakes to spot each other.

RGG

cut the grass low around where you will be working. if you can get away with the noise take a strimmer, strim a area keep the grass short to avoid unwanted snakes.

So far with my uk outdoors I've never come across any snakes and hopefully wont!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
By the time they taste what is on your legs it is too late

By the time they taste what is on your legs it is too late

LOL. I have heard that snakes will not slither over used charcoal, as it hurts their bellies.

Hookahhead

This kind of reminds me of when I hear of people using “bear spray” (concentrated pepper spray) on their bodies thinking it works like a repellent similar to “bug spray”.

Definitely heavy thick boots that cover up to your calf. Most of your bites are going to be in the feet or calves, unless your picking them up and trying to kiss them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfRfD6-2QlQ

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
When I grew up in South Dakota I tried deep fat fried snake. It tasted just like chicken (kidding).

ULMW

Adders and all UK snakes venom is so minor you do not need to fear. It is like a bee sting at worse for an adult.
For children, pets or ill persons it can cause more severe reactions.
Wear long gloves and clear your garden area as best as you can. Snakes like to be near the water which they need to drink and also other animals like mice, shrews and snake prey tend to require the water too. Select your grow space where your paths cross the least. Having large dry spaces around your grow area also reduces risk of bumping into snakes.
Happy growing.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
moth balls allegedly work. if you were here in the states, i would go catch a couple of big black snakes & release them in your spot. they eat other snakes & are immune to copperhead & rattlesnake venom. they are not venomous/harmful, but can scare hell out of you if not prepared to see them.:biggrin:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
That's why I always call ahead first.
:tiphat:
Pretty sure snakes are deaf but if you stamp around they can sense vibration.

Got plenty of venemous snakes here but they don't bother you unless you do something stupid like provoke them or stand on them.

Just look where you are walking.

Chippewa snake boots, my friend. A wonderful investment. I wear them every day. They go all the way up to your knees.

I figure if a rattler wants to hurt me so bad that he aims for my junk, it was just my time to go.

kickarse

Got bitten by a little snake a few years ago, no anti venom
never went to to the quacks till 4 days after

Didn't know it was a snake bite till he found a couple of bit marks

Trust me you don't want to be bitten by one, took 3 years to recover fully?
me leg still plays up occasionally in the cold weather

Was a Tiger snake, maybe 3 ft long, should of killed it when I first seen it, had been hanging around the water tanks for a while

Saved its life once, it got stuck in me water tank a few months before it got me

Last edited: