This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Can't the uploader just strip this header information?

Save the trouble of people worrying about this? I can't imagine it would be a big code change.

Just keep this
    File size : 1244057 Bytes
    MIME type : image/jpeg
    Image size : 2048 x 1536

And strip the rest.
    hoping that a 3rd party removes your info for you is grossly irresponsible—especially in a situation that could easily result in cops or other bad guys knocking down your door. ICM does a pretty good job of stripping personal info from images, but with the stakes as high as they are, why wouldn't you take the extra 30 seconds to cover your ass?

or don't. that way i don't need to outrun the bear.
    i just need to outrun YOU.\\

Originally posted by detoneSmoker View Post
    But if I have my gps location option on my droid off, am i ok? and is there a way to check my current pics to see the attached info? thanks
    even if your location is turned off, there's still information that can link a photo to you. for instance, the unique serial number of your device. do yourself a favor and only ever upload anything with a BLANK exif.

Comment

Is there an app for photoshop or similar that I can use? I need to start my pic game and I am def not exif savvy . I will do some googling but wonder if anyone uses their phone for pic, an app to remove resize, and upload from phone/app idk
      "earth-fire-wind-water-heart"
      By your powers combined - I am Captain Planet!" "Remember..the power is yours"

Current Mothers
      1: GG4
      2: Girl Scout Cookies (forum)
      3: Sour Dubb
      4: Stardawg (Corey Haim)
      5: 2.0
      6: Blue Dream

Comment

Ooops I see pixelgarde does, great info here
        "earth-fire-wind-water-heart"
        By your powers combined - I am Captain Planet!" "Remember..the power is yours"

Current Mothers
        1: GG4
        2: Girl Scout Cookies (forum)
        3: Sour Dubb
        4: Stardawg (Corey Haim)
        5: 2.0
        6: Blue Dream

Comment

Well it looks like if u just do a screen capture on ur android that is strips the data. Only gives image size, file type, and picture size. I assume thats good enough anybody want to confirm it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Just so you know, many of the programs that claim to remove metadata leave enough information behind for forensic software to reconstruct the metadata. FBI and some private investigative companies are quite open about this ability.

As far as the local police go, they probably won't be able to do it, but start posting images of a huge commercial grow and you can bet someone is going to try to reclaim the camera's fingerprints. Best practice is to use a digital camera that is used for nothing but pictures of the grow and isn't connected to your identity. Considering how cheap cameras are today it shouldn't be a problem getting a decent one for sharing mj pictures.

Comment

Here is a simple one for linux to remove all metadata: exiv2 -d a *.JPG

Comment

I do remove my EXIF data, and check that it's erased using a web tool.

But while I agree that relying on a third party (like ICM) to remove the data is unwise, I have no idea what ICM's rationale for leaving EXIF data intact could be - especially given how easy it is to remove it using server-side scripts.

I know the site is privately operated, and so I would not complain about this. But hopefully ideas offered in a friendly spirit and in the interest of all users will be entertained.

Thanks for a great site!

Comment

This is an older thread but for casual users like me this is what I do. Use a digital camera. I just upgraded to a sweet Cannon. Load pics on my machine and I have a photobuck account with a gmail address that contains no personal info. Use photobucket to post pics on sites like this. I presume I'm fairly safe. My digital cam has no info other than the date. I hope.

Comment

Are there any photoshop applications available ?

Comment

The problem is not the data in the pics, the problem is the site administrators and moderators who can see your ip address, and with a quick internet search can see who you are and where you live.
                      Then they can put our address into google maps and see pictures for your house.
                      Then they can do a reverse phone book search and find your phone number.
                      Then they can google your name and find out all about you, and heavens help you if you are facebook.

That's why I deleted my photo's.

If they want me to post photo's of plants, then they must implement a system where your Ip address can't be see.

Comment

Happy New Year ! Looking for help or tips on loading photos.

Comment

Use Mat it stands for meta data anonymization tool and change pictures to png it does not support exif

Comment

Working...
                          X