What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart Meters - a few common misconceptions cleared up here.

G

Guest 18340

Well, I'm in Fla and FP&L is not in bed with Leo. And neither is where my brother works.
The article you posted is a little misleading in itself; It wasn;t the smart meter that tipped off the cops. They get a tip and subpena the electrical usage records to confirm the tip, not the other way around.
Also, monitoring excessive usage IS NOT an automated task with my energy provider, because what is the thresh hold for excessive usage? Theirs not set amount of juice the company allows and anything over automatically gets sent to leo. And that alone is not enough for a warrant.
We could go back/forth for days but I've yet to see anyone who got busted solely because of a smart meter. it's always because someone snitched or smelled something, THEN the go to your electric usage and 1+1= grow op, and thats how your usage gets you...
*EDIT*
Excessive usage around here is when your transformer blows. Up until that point, no one is watching anything.
Theirs a member here, in my state, whom i know personally and was using 10,000+ watts for Reef tank lighting/cooling/pumping/etc and never had so much as a phone call from FP&L. So what would be the thresh hold for excess usage?

Last edited:

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Well, I'm in Fla and FP&L is not in bed with Leo.

Funny you mentioned FPL.

They even made an official statement they don't do that kinda thing.

Unlike LCEC - they refused to comment when they were interviewed on their policy about that part!

G

Guest 18340

I don't see whay you're jumping on my shit, btw. 'Cause for the most part we agree on the same things. And I stated clearly that in MY state and in the state my brother works.
Also, when I lived in Orlando a smart meter was installed right smack in the middle of my grow. Lights went out and I go outside and see a tech switching out my meter.
Nothing ever came of it and I kept growing for two more years before I moved.
will excessive usage get you busted? Hell yes, when the cops subpena your records because they got a tip you're growing...

G

Guest 18340

Forgive me if I took your post the wrong way. It's hard to convey feeling thru a computer screen...

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
I don't see whay you're jumping on my shit, btw. 'Cause for the most part we agree on the same things.

:confused:

Jumped on your shit???

I think I was not only polite with my reply...but as you said also agreed with that last post.
confused.gif

Maybe you're just having a bad day or something? :)

G

Guest 18340

Like I said, forgive me if I took things wrong. Not easy to read emotion on a computer screen.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Great post a definite must read, thank you for taking the time to put it together.:tiphat:

You're welcome!

It took me all afternoon
(~4 hours) to do that...

The misinformation floating around about this subject and potential resulting busts was worth spending that time.

:)

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
May I add a unique wrinkle...Southern California Edison offers a special pricing plan for "Time of Use" TOU customers, which requires a smart meter. Most meters measure total consumption--not when the power is consumed. TOU rates allow for super expensive rates during peak daytime (M-F 10AM-6PM) and super low during off peak hours (6PM-10AM) and all weekends/holidays.

The savings are huge and we are not talking peanuts...my $1200 electric bill dropped to the low $600's. I understand the program is now "over subscribed", so you might have to ask for a waiting list. In my particular situation, I told the SCE that I work from home and I use my "machine shop" at night--and it took about 2 months for them to install and bring me online.

One of the benefits--no more meter reader, the usage data is uploaded via wireless-satellite connection. Now if I add some solar panels...maybe I might get under $300/month for my "garden".

seeyouaunty

A word of warning to those bypassing their meters, the instant the smart meter is installed it will detect power being rerouted and you WILL get busted.
I don't see how that could be true. There will always be power upstream of the meter being used ("rerouted") by neighbours etc because everyone uses a common supply. Its not like a telephone where you get a dedicated line.

You may be confused with anti-tamper features. I've seen smartmeters that send an alarm signal via cell network if they are opened. A smartmeter wouldn't necessarily need to be opened to be bypassed.

devilgoob

Veteran
light-mover anyone?

This smart meter will be great in detecting the (amperage) voltage spikes of my PRONSCREEN2000.

supermanlives

Veteran
I don't see how that could be true. There will always be power upstream of the meter being used ("rerouted") by neighbours etc because everyone uses a common supply. Its not like a telephone where you get a dedicated line.

You may be confused with anti-tamper features. I've seen smartmeters that send an alarm signal via cell network if they are opened. A smartmeter wouldn't necessarily need to be opened to be bypassed.

my very experienced electrician told me he could bypass the meter without any problems . seems since they came out his side work has tripled. of course i aint doing it tho. he didnt explain how he could do it but he has been doing it since they came out without one problem. he actually laughed about it

ijim

They installed a smart meter in a house I was living in. So after the first billing period I went to the power company and said I have some questions about my bill. A representative took me to her desk and brought up my meter and showed me the in real time usage. I called home and had the little lady go around the house and turn the AC on and off. 60 watt bulbs on and of. And I could watch the use as it was happening. And with her trained eye she could tell me what was being used without me telling her what was being turned on or off. I packed up and moved as soon as my outdoor garden was harvested. Even those in med states don't feel all warm and comfy. LEO can still come to your home and inspect to see if you are in compliance with state and local limits and fire codes. Brought to you buy your new shinny smart meter.

G

Guest 18340

I'm no sparky, my brother is so I'll have to ask him to explain it to me in layman's terms but I remember him saying something about a "phase unbalanced alarm", that it detects when the wires are being tampered with.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
I'm no sparky, my brother is so I'll have to ask him to explain it to me in layman's terms but I remember him saying something about a "phase unbalanced alarm", that it detects when the wires are being tampered with.

If I remember correct it is something sparky's refer to as "negative Ion backflow".

In simple words: If there is more electricity flowing back than what came in (through the meter).

G

Guest 18340

I believe you are correct, Strainhunter.
I have on PDF some "white papers" on these smart meters that my brother swiped. All kinds of juicy tidbits. Something called a "Management Server" that (over time) builds a "user profile", getting more accurate over a period of time.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

Something called a "Management Server" that (over time) builds a "user profile", getting more accurate over a period of time.

Scary shit isn't it!?

Leaves only 2 options:

Paying the bill hoping one gets away with the excessive usage.

or

Paying the bill and still>>>
th_jail.gif

txskunk

What if I were to cut the light and the a/c on at the EXACT same time. Somehow wire them together so that when A/C comes on the lights come on too, when it goes off lights go off... Would it appear as one large spike or would the timing have to be absolutely perfect for it to work? Surely by using some calculations you could figure out the right temperature to set the A/C at (assuming you live in somewhat stable weather conditions) in order to get 12/12 but the "on" would just be randomly spread out through the day and masked by the spike of the A/C. My a/c is usually off all day until 5 and then it's on and off until I go to work the next morning at 9. Just a thought...