Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart Meters - a few common misconceptions cleared up here.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evlme2 View Post
    A word of warning to those bypassing their meters, the instant the smart meter is installed it will detect power being rerouted and you WILL get busted.
    I don't see how that could be true. There will always be power upstream of the meter being used ("rerouted") by neighbours etc because everyone uses a common supply. Its not like a telephone where you get a dedicated line.

You may be confused with anti-tamper features. I've seen smartmeters that send an alarm signal via cell network if they are opened. A smartmeter wouldn't necessarily need to be opened to be bypassed.

Comment

light-mover anyone?

This smart meter will be great in detecting the (amperage) voltage spikes of my PRONSCREEN2000.

Comment

Originally posted by seeyouaunty View Post
        I don't see how that could be true. There will always be power upstream of the meter being used ("rerouted") by neighbours etc because everyone uses a common supply. Its not like a telephone where you get a dedicated line.

You may be confused with anti-tamper features. I've seen smartmeters that send an alarm signal via cell network if they are opened. A smartmeter wouldn't necessarily need to be opened to be bypassed.
        my very experienced electrician told me he could bypass the meter without any problems . seems since they came out his side work has tripled. of course i aint doing it tho. he didnt explain how he could do it but he has been doing it since they came out without one problem. he actually laughed about it

Comment

They installed a smart meter in a house I was living in. So after the first billing period I went to the power company and said I have some questions about my bill. A representative took me to her desk and brought up my meter and showed me the in real time usage. I called home and had the little lady go around the house and turn the AC on and off. 60 watt bulbs on and of. And I could watch the use as it was happening. And with her trained eye she could tell me what was being used without me telling her what was being turned on or off. I packed up and moved as soon as my outdoor garden was harvested. Even those in med states don't feel all warm and comfy. LEO can still come to your home and inspect to see if you are in compliance with state and local limits and fire codes. Brought to you buy your new shinny smart meter.

Comment

leo aint coming in without a warrant . i have my papers for medical tho

Comment

Originally posted by seeyouaunty View Post

I'm no sparky, my brother is so I'll have to ask him to explain it to me in layman's terms but I remember him saying something about a "phase unbalanced alarm", that it detects when the wires are being tampered with.

Comment

I'm no sparky, my brother is so I'll have to ask him to explain it to me in layman's terms but I remember him saying something about a "phase unbalanced alarm", that it detects when the wires are being tampered with.

If I remember correct it is something sparky's refer to as "negative Ion backflow".

In simple words: If there is more electricity flowing back than what came in (through the meter).

Something every grower "on the grid" should be aware of:

Comment

I believe you are correct, Strainhunter.
                  I have on PDF some "white papers" on these smart meters that my brother swiped. All kinds of juicy tidbits. Something called a "Management Server" that (over time) builds a "user profile", getting more accurate over a period of time.

Comment

Something called a "Management Server" that (over time) builds a "user profile", getting more accurate over a period of time.

Scary shit isn't it!?

Leaves only 2 options:

Paying the bill hoping one gets away with the excessive usage.

or

Paying the bill and still>>>

Comment

What if I were to cut the light and the a/c on at the EXACT same time. Somehow wire them together so that when A/C comes on the lights come on too, when it goes off lights go off... Would it appear as one large spike or would the timing have to be absolutely perfect for it to work? Surely by using some calculations you could figure out the right temperature to set the A/C at (assuming you live in somewhat stable weather conditions) in order to get 12/12 but the "on" would just be randomly spread out through the day and masked by the spike of the A/C. My a/c is usually off all day until 5 and then it's on and off until I go to work the next morning at 9. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by txskunk View Post
                        What if I were to cut the light and the a/c on at the EXACT same time. Somehow wire them together so that when A/C comes on the lights come on too, when it goes off lights go off... Would it appear as one large spike or would the timing have to be absolutely perfect for it to work?

Why are so many "hung up" on spikes?

I thought I already covered well enough it is NOT THE SPIKES which are raising the flags!

It is the excessive usage raising flags.

Not in all states but in some.

And most of us will never know which ones those are.

And by the time we do find out...some will already have gone "down the drain".
                        Just because "your buddy" has "gotten away" with his crazy electricity bill that doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Strainhunter View Post
                          Paying the bill and still>>>
                          I doubt that they will go after paying customers without being FORCED to do so by LEO.

That guy who pays his $1000+ bill every month makes up for a lot of people who don't pay their $100 bill on time.

Just wouldn't make sense from a business perspective.
                          sigpic
                          mega and anti's excellent adventure
                          anti's 800w mini colosseum
                          anti's microstealth 3000
                          micro group

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert. I am not a guru. I am just some guy who is here to learn - just like you. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti View Post
                            I doubt that they will go after paying customers without being FORCED to do so by LEO.

Just wouldn't make sense from a business perspective.

Electricity companies in @ least one of the states I used to live in (FL) actually have BATF trained employees for recognizing potential indoor pot growing ops.

And of course it makes no sense from a business stand point.
                            But so don't many other "legal" things related to growing pot.

After all it's a game.

Comment

Fantastic article, good info Strainhunter. We have talked about these many times and you brought much of that information and more research into one spot. Much appreciated by many I am sure

If you want to cut down on your primary electrical usage & related cooling costs it's time to start looking into LED and get away from the power hungry HID lights. Be safe out there!
                              sigpic

S.O.T.F.S FORUM HERE

SWEET TOOTH #4 - IBL PROJECT ORGANIC *LED* GROW!

Please join the ~SWEET TOOTH SOCIETY~ on ICMag! 323 Members STRONG & GROWING!

Prop. 215 fully compliant legal medical Cannabis user, proud to live in California!

I SUFFER FROM A MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER WITH ILLUSIONS & FANTASY OF EVENTS THAT NEVER TOOK PLACE AND I MAKE UP THESE STORIES TO ENTERTAIN MYSELF, SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME OFFICER! I NEED MY SWEET GREEN MEDICATION. WHY BOTHER A PEACEFUL MEDICAL USER ANYWAYS? THANKS & KEEP IT GRAPEFRUITY!

The Pen is far mightier than the Sword!

Spread your knowledge of Cannabis to all!

Sweet Tooth, will sure cure whatever ails ya!

Comment

Originally posted by SOTF420 View Post

If you want to cut down on your primary electrical usage & related cooling costs it's time to start looking into LED and get away from the power hungry HID lights. Be safe out there!
                                Thank you SOTF420!

Since you are the LED man on ICM and have supported your claims by beautiful pics there is still one thing I don't get about doing a grow with LED's:

Say I were to "jump on to the LED train" wouldn't I need the same wattage in LED's I have now with my HID lights?

Comment

Working...
                                X