What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ozone in an emergency

bigpeter

about 10 days ago I harvested my 1 plant, I cut off the main branches and hung it upside down in the grow closet with carbon filter on and lights off. A day or two later while I was in the communal underground car park a neighbour said to me that there was a strong smell of weed that seemed to be coming from my apartment. I tried to fob him off by saying that I'd just bought some strong weed but I was now panicking. I contacted a good fellow grower and asked for help. He lent me a high output ozone generator. As soon as I got back home I turned it on in the hallway inside the entrance door and put it next to an oscilating fan. Within less than a minute the smell was gone and all I could smell was that familiar bleachy ozone. I'm dead against using ozone generators but this saved the day and I'll be buying one in case of any future incidents The old carbon filter is a few years old now, so time for a new one. Its true what they say about folk becoming used to weed aroma around the house, I couldn't smell it..

new-portable-ceramic-ozone-generator-220v-110v-10g-double-integrated-long-life-ceramic-plate-o...jpg

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Carbon filters are only good for less than a year. You can empty them and cook in oven for a few hours, but all smell will come out at once.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32661808856.html $20

10g per hour is quite a lot. If the hall is a meter square, then in an hour it's immediately damaging to health at 5ppm. The recommended exposure limit is 0.1ppm. A factor of 50 lower. Juggling numbers about, your hall might be bigger, and a full air exchange might take a few hours. I didn't account for any exchange in the 5ppm calculation but just reaching a couple of ppm is not going to be great. The safe exposure guideance isn't just about the limit, but also the time exposed. Typically 8 hours of exposure.

If you know the draft goes out under your door, so its not backing up into your living space, plus outside your door is the outside world, you might be alright.

I have put up the link to buy them, but frankly I don't suggest anybody uses one unless it's up a duct that's heading out a roof vent. Preferably a long duct so the air has time to mix and the ozone oxidise any voc's present. It should also be hard pipe or flue liner like grade, or it may have a hole in quite soon.

It's really not consumer gear. Coronal discharge voltages present take few prisoners. It's not just static either, it's ~60w

bigpeter

I had the ozone machine on for no more than two minutes and the place smelt strongly of ozone. I found that 30 seconds every 5-6 hours was enough. Its all in jars now so I dont have to worry. It was an emergency situation I had no choice.

St. Phatty

Ozone is not good for you.

I had a demo of an industrial ozone generator at Berkeley Indoor Garden around 1990, shortly after Operation Green Merchant.

They are sort of "seductive". It smells good !

The guy only ran it for a minute.

But yes, highly reactive means highly reactive.

Very simple to make. High Voltage power supply + geometry to convert voltage into electric fields + a blower.

Now being touted as the facility cure for Covid19.

The company Birx went to is simply selling a re-packaged industrial ozone generator.

The grow shop that demoed it for me in 1990, got it from a commercial sewage processing facility.

novice4oil

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32661808856.html $20

10g per hour is quite a lot. If the hall is a meter square, then in an hour it's immediately damaging to health at 5ppm. The recommended exposure limit is 0.1ppm. A factor of 50 lower. Juggling numbers about, your hall might be bigger, and a full air exchange might take a few hours. I didn't account for any exchange in the 5ppm calculation but just reaching a couple of ppm is not going to be great. The safe exposure guideance isn't just about the limit, but also the time exposed. Typically 8 hours of exposure.

If you know the draft goes out under your door, so its not backing up into your living space, plus outside your door is the outside world, you might be alright.

I have put up the link to buy them, but frankly I don't suggest anybody uses one unless it's up a duct that's heading out a roof vent. Preferably a long duct so the air has time to mix and the ozone oxidise any voc's present. It should also be hard pipe or flue liner like grade, or it may have a hole in quite soon.

It's really not consumer gear. Coronal discharge voltages present take few prisoners. It's not just static either, it's ~60w

I had a few 12-48 gram per hour generators, the enclosed ones with internal fan, in my aliexpress shopping cart. so received one of those ali emails saying discount in cart. Turns out they addded a 60 grams version to the ad. All for ~35 euro's shipped.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I had a demo of an industrial ozone generator at Berkeley Indoor Garden around 1990, shortly after Operation Green Merchant.

They are sort of "seductive". It smells good !

The guy only ran it for a minute.

But yes, highly reactive means highly reactive.

Very simple to make. High Voltage power supply + geometry to convert voltage into electric fields + a blower.

Now being touted as the facility cure for Covid19.

The company Birx went to is simply selling a re-packaged industrial ozone generator.

The grow shop that demoed it for me in 1990, got it from a commercial sewage processing facility.

It kind of smells like bleach. I got an ozone generator to make a cleaner for a cpap machine. It output so much ozone that it creeped me out and it got trashed. A smaller one works fine in an enclosed case but the smell does not dissipate as quickly as it should. Still kind of creepy.

As for the covid cure - It might cure more than that. UV lights much safer for sterilizing.

St. Phatty

It kind of smells like bleach. I got an ozone generator to make a cleaner for a cpap machine. It output so much ozone that it creeped me out and it got trashed. A smaller one works fine in an enclosed case but the smell does not dissipate as quickly as it should. Still kind of creepy.

As for the covid cure - It might cure more than that. UV lights much safer for sterilizing.

They're both good tools.

If we worked at an airline, we would use Ozone to dis-infect airplanes. This is the part where everybody leaves the airplane. Since it's a gas, it follows principles of diffusion, and spreads to every single corner of the plane, governed by physics laws of pressure etc.

I think of it as comparable to having steaming vats of muriatic acid. Also very reactive.

But as the Berkeley garden guy showed, it's in its own category. The 1 minute he ran it, there was no apparent health effect, other than maybe it dis-infected the store.

They were selling it for its ability to alter Skunk smells and do a decent job of de-Skunking a grow op.

I thought it was a cool machine.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
They're both good tools.

If we worked at an airline, we would use Ozone to dis-infect airplanes. This is the part where everybody leaves the airplane. Since it's a gas, it follows principles of diffusion, and spreads to every single corner of the plane, governed by physics laws of pressure etc.

I think of it as comparable to having steaming vats of muriatic acid. Also very reactive.

But as the Berkeley garden guy showed, it's in its own category. The 1 minute he ran it, there was no apparent health effect, other than maybe it dis-infected the store.

They were selling it for its ability to alter Skunk smells and do a decent job of de-Skunking a grow op.

I thought it was a cool machine.

In theory this is true, however, I use ozone to clean a cpap and can tell that there is ozone residue still in there for quite some time. Even after airing it out extensively.

I really believe the stuff is dangerous and would never use the gas in an enclosed area where there were people. Some of the cleaning products "with ozone" or 'ozoniated", probably just enough to say it's in there.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Remember the silver bullet? Not 'twenty seconds to comply' the ozone generator that used a UV lamp. I fixed a couple and iirc they were around an 8w tube. Kinda guitar looking thing, with the base blowing air up the neck where the tube was enclosed. Over time the plastic went brittle and crumbled. It's an interesting link between the action of UV and how it creates ozone. They smelt to strong for purpose. Just with that seemingly weak production method.

Ali have a unit around 1g for just a few quid. I might put one in the extraction for a little boost when trimming. As it's low output going straight outside in a volume of air that's suitable.

It's very cheap but needs using professionally. 3500v on them plates. That's two modes by which it can kill you.

bigpeter

I discovered that by connecting the ozone generator to a dimmer I could lower the output level to a much safer lever. I agree to all the comments about it being dangerous and I will only use it in an emergency situation.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Getting used to the weed smell is a big security problem imo. The last 2 weeks most of the time are to much for the filter, no matter if new or not. An air ioniser helped but that is also kind of ozone generator but less effective.

Worst scenario imo is trimming. I always change cloth for that and scrub my selfe down in the shower before i even think of leaving the place.

It helps when u are away a few hours from the grow place to recognise the smell but if u are always near that smell the body regulates the continuous sensory imput down.

Also a person u trust is a good smell detector. Doesn't need to see the grow but come to the place and smell at the door or first room, best non smoker that knows the smell of weed.

Got a shared flat some years ago and we only recognised the weed smell when coming home from work. On the other hand it helped to smell the grows on the levels below. Sniffing dogs would have indicate other grows long time cops were even near our flat.

JimMuscles

What exactly are the dangers of ozone? I used a portable one at home on occasion in an empty room

It fucks up your lungs really bad. I used one when trimming one time and i could barely breathe for like a week. That was pretty dumb of me, but i was paranoid of the smell reaching unfriendly noses. Don't be like me.

St. Phatty

What exactly are the dangers of ozone? I used a portable one at home on occasion in an empty room

Wouldn't worry about it.

It's highly reactive - like an acid, or Lye.

And it smells good.

In 1990 I had a demonstration of an industrial ozone generator, sold by a grow supply store in Berkeley.

It smelled good, like after a rainstorm.

So the tendency is to sit there smelling it, but again, highly reactive.

Like flea bombing a room - you don't want to stay in the room.
That might be obvious with something that fills the air with a powerful poison. Less obvious with something that smells good.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Wouldn't worry about it.

It's highly reactive - like an acid, or Lye.

And it smells good.

In 1990 I had a demonstration of an industrial ozone generator, sold by a grow supply store in Berkeley.

It smelled good, like after a rainstorm.

So the tendency is to sit there smelling it, but again, highly reactive.

Like flea bombing a room - you don't want to stay in the room.
That might be obvious with something that fills the air with a powerful poison. Less obvious with something that smells good.

What smells good is subjective. Like those Wunderbaum shits people put in their cars if they want to get rid of cigarette smell or sumtin. Usually that crap just mixes the two together to create an even worse smell, but again, subjective. Because I haven't smelled a Wunderbaum that was actually pleasant. And them shits are full of chemicals, so I wouldn't smelly em up even if I found a good one.

But ozone, even low levels of it, is dangerous and can damage your lungs. If you have asthma, it might make it worse.
It's like if you go to a mouldy house, some people will start sneezing and couching right after entering. Some people can live there for years and never notice a thing.
That's 'cause not everyone reacts the same way to stuff. Like here we have a guy who likes the smell, and a guy who smelled it and got chest pains for a week..

Best to avoid if possible. But if you like the smell and you're willing to risk it, I ain't stopping ya! :)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I secured the 1w device to my bathroom extractor. Failed. So I made a foot long duct to go over the top. Still failed. Lots better, but I could still smell it in adjacent rooms. It's like the ions flying off, were not very concerned with the airflow.
Years ago a friend had a folded tube made for a large unit. This tube, was a wooden box as big as a nightclub scoop bin. Giving the process time to happen, while shading the guy from the light.

It's something I might run in the car for 5 minutes, before I sell the car. To reduce odour, knowing it's also ruining the car, a little at a time.