What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Retirees: How much money do you have in the bank?

St. Phatty

The other day I walked into the Dollar store and the checkout person said, "is there anything I can do to help you ?"

I said, "Sure, give me all the money in the cash register. That would help me".

Then I said, "sorry, that wasn't supposed to sound threatening. How about just $100 ? Would it sound less threatening if I say please ?"

Oh well, at least she didn't call the cops.

H G Griffin

Like others have said, it's what you spend that counts. When I started equating money spent with the amount of my life I had to exchange to earn that money(plus taxes), it made it much easier to curb foolish expenditures....and the older I get, the more I value every day I have left. This time is mine, not an employer's.

My investments aren't large, but they are growing, while I live a simple, happy life.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Flylowgethigh, got any real facts to back that claim up? Or just felt fun to BS?

You're kidding, right? Open your eyes. The debt is $28T and rising exponentially, and that is not counting entitlements like SS, medicare, and stimmy. Inflate or die.

Real facts? Look at how much gold a $100 will buy you these days compared to 100 years ago. The term "Good as a dollar" went out the gold window in 1971.

You better have a plan for when the money is no good, cause that is a very real possibility. How's that for fun?