What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

50 Years Ago . . .

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I am typing this stoned on hash.

While that doesn’t sound at all remarkable on a cannabis forum, it is a true milestone. Flashback to May 1970 and the first cannabis I ever smoked. That was 50 years ago this week by the way. I was a very cannabis-curious teenager and so for my 16th birthday, I bought myself a nickel (a $5 gram) of hash from a high school acquaintance. We did the deal in the high school smoking area next to the parking lot at lunchtime. A little nugget wrapped in the paper foil from a cigarette package. Looking back now, it was an anonymous mid-weight black hash from Afghanistan or Pakistan, dark green and fingernail soft. But it did the job nicely.

Fast-forward 50 years, and I am still smoking hash. I guess this makes me a lifelong stoner. But I did manage to squeeze in a couple of wives, some kids, grandkids, and an interesting career that I recently closed out where I had reached the top of my particular niche. Not in money unfortunately, but at least respect.

But, back to my point. I am smoking hash. The significance of this is that 1) I’m still alive 2) this is legal hash purchased from the official provincial government-owned online store. And this is the same government that busted my ass for possession of hash a few months after my initiation.

So this is something that I thought that I would never see. Actual legal hashish. Legally grown, processed and quality tested for pesticides and psychoactive content. Packaged in a boring and hopelessly unopenable child-proof envelope with bilingual warnings. 33.88% THC. Complete with a government excise sticker on the back . . .

I know that hash is legal to buy in Amsterdam and I sampled some awesome coffee shop stock when I visited a few years back. But the source is still shady. And in Colorado, California and the other legal US states that I have visited, hash seems to be a bastard child with vapes, shatter and rosin etc taking all of the concentrate shelf space. So even though I paid too much, I had to have some. It is very yummy and somehow somewhat reminiscent of those early buzzes 50 years ago. :rasta:

picture.php

Mr. J

I liked the story but don't buy your drugs from the government. They're evil hypocrites and they don't deserve your money. They're still jailing people for this stuff if you're not paying into their cartel.

My second smoke was some dark brown on the inside, black outside, gold seal hash back in the early 90's. Really stoney stuff. These days I only smoke hash that I make from the weed that I grow.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Lovely
It was all hash here when I started smoking... weed was a rarity.
I’d buy hash from a shop if it meant they’d leave me alone to smoke it. :tiphat:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I liked the story but don't buy your drugs from the government . . . These days I only smoke hash that I make from the weed that I grow.

Have no fear.

I went through a 20 year span where I could not find hash. Yes, 20 years! I always had bud but none of the people in my circle had hash. So a few years ago when the black market cracked open before legalization, I started collecting. I just hauled out the contents of my hash drawer & I have 11 that were sourced from the black market, 10 from bubble & only one from the legal store. Maybe the hash countries are using diluted genetics or maybe nostalgia is at play or maybe the imports are actually local fakes now but my latest bubble attempts taste better & kick much harder than any of them. But they do smell nice. :biggrin:

EsterEssence

Veteran
When I was a teenager we had all different types of hash here in Cali, people were smuggling it in back then, red and blonde leb, primo from afghan, Moroccan, Paki, temple balls from Nepal, and more I can’t remember. I went to Nepal and made hash for years but only brought back personal. I then made hash here at home before trim got so popular I couldn’t get much any more. I make some rosin now, but there was nothing like all the smells, tastes, and the smoking pleasure from the different types of hash...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
- Very nice - me too - I first got into cannabis via the hashish route - back in the mid-70's - and I do miss those scents/smells of good Moroccan/Lebanese and Paki Black -

Mmmmm! Yeah. Lebanese red from coffeeshops outskirts of the 'Dam. Memories.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good story and glad you made it all these years to taste legal hash. Never should have been illegal, but that is a given. Hope you can make your own hash or do some dry sift from your own plants.

By the time I got around to hash it was the eighties as I recall. Blonde Lebanese was $10 a gram. Inflation eh? Good high but not as good as the first smokes I had 1974 era. The best buds/shake of the Mexicans and possibly a Jamaican? Crazy sativa highs. Still searching and doing pretty good in finding such highs but more to be done, as they were still more tripped out than current stuff.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Mmmmm! Yeah. Lebanese red from coffeeshops outskirts of the 'Dam. Memories.

I have a gram of Red Lebanese here. Very soft, like lightly pressed kief. I seem to remember that Lebanese hash was usually hard - both blonde & red. I don't know, but I remember Lebanese as being really good & this is OK, but a lightweight. Ditto some Nepalese that I found. I remember Nepalese fingertip hash that was true one toke fucked hash. This stuff? Not in the same league.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Fifty years ago today, May 23, 1970.

I was doing my ninth month in "Alcantra Youth Conservation Camp and School" for possession of one gram of hashish I had bought for the first time and never got to smoke.

"Felony Narcotic" was the description on the indictment.

Trying to fake experience without the any clue of what being high felt like is not recommended while serving time in reform school.
Needless to say, serving two years without ever even being stoned first garnered little respect in regards to street smarts.

Hash as a felony narcotic, it still makes me bristle.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I was doing my ninth month in "Alcantra Youth Conservation Camp and School" for possession of one gram of hashish I had bought for the first time and never got to smoke.

"Felony Narcotic" was the description on the indictment.

Trying to fake experience without the any clue of what being high felt like is not recommended while serving time in reform school.
Needless to say, serving two years without ever even being stoned first garnered little respect in regards to street smarts.

Hash as a felony narcotic, it still makes me bristle.

My bust was in early September. Canada also classed cannabis under the Narcotic Drugs Act. But I was also charged under the Restricted Drugs Act for possession of LSD. I got a $100 fine on each count. I was very, very lucky to avoid jail.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
there is the hash factory in Colorado that does Moroccan and Lebanese style processing https://durangogreenery.com/hash-factory/

It is good to see. There does seem to be some very well made local hash around. Soft, smooth & well-processed - both sift & bubble. A guy posted on Canadients (reddit) recently who has been supplying HQ local to the online BC stores. He was boasting about his custom heat/steam/pressure machine. And there was also a First Peoples connection from the east who were online with different grades of good hash.

houndog

My bust was in early September. Canada also classed cannabis under the Narcotic Drugs Act. But I was also charged under the Restricted Drugs Act for possession of LSD. I got a $100 fine on each count. I was very, very lucky to avoid jail.

I recall my Southern Ontario court case similar to yours. They called it drug day, I was fined $250.00 for marijuana possession the person before me got off on his LSD possession. This was in the latter 60s.

We had access to many of the mentioned hash types plus others. One of my most memorable was sent from India by mail. Came in the form of balls with distinct imprints of stars, moons and stick people. It was exceptional.

I smoked my first hits of hash in the year of my 16th birthday, 2001. Forever fell in love. We are far from legalization over here, but I'm hoping in some 30 years I will reminisce the times we had, in the same way OP did. Thanks for giving hope for us younglings still battling for sane drug policies!

Legal hash is what we would've called "weedium density fiberboard". Pressed floor dust. Might as well be smoking a fire starter log. Less BT/serenade for sure.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
January, 1971. It has been seven months since my release for the felony gram of hash. My buddy has raided a vet clinic and scored a large (50 ml) bottle of animal grade morphine.
Not understanding the label he mixed up what looked to be a good hit and fired it up.

Visualizing my recollection, and knowing what I know now, he had roughly 25 mg of morphine.
He vomited for a good ten minutes while we staggered around in a circle on the front lawn.

After, he says "Not bad, the throwing up didn't bother me at all".

OK, fine.
But still, I never touched an opiate until 27 years later when the cancer went through a particularly nasty episode.

I look at opiates and all I see is Chris all doubled over vomiting up stomach acid by the spoonful 'cause that was all that was left to force out.
That is this month's chapter of "fifty years ago".