What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Remember When

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I guess I can "Remember When" a lot further back than you, Cuddles...

Don't ask me how old I am...Still handsome though!:biggrin:

Cuddles

lol, I must admit that I don´t remember all the prices for food. As a kid I didn´t usually pay for it. But I do recall that when I was at junior school we used to eat these milk ice cream on a stick. And then, one summer, when the price went up from 10 to 15 p I was appalled!

I don´t wanna mention how much that same ice crem costs nowadays! Just unbelievable.

BTW, I´ve always had a thing about older gents. :huggg: But I´m not sure you can´t be that much older than me

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I remember when I was a kid and Grandpa took me to the fair..

He ordered 2 hot dogs from the hot dog cart and when the guy told him it was 50 cents, he jumped down the guys throat!...

He said "Hot dogs should cost 10 cents apiece!!"

30 cents for the ambience...:tiphat:

Mr. J

I sure do remember. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run of the house with a big washtub and, anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball.

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I remember when I switched over from chocolate milk to Pepsi.
I was 6 years old. They didn't have chocolate milk at the truck stop.
My dad would get a bottle of Pepsi and pour a package peanuts in it.
I got a 2-pack of Orange Hostess cup cake. They were a lot bigger, then!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I remember walking to the store to buy a candy bar...They cost a nickel then..

I always bought the "Hollywood" bar... It was the biggest one on the shelf..

I never bought a Mounds or Almond Joy because they cost a dime...

and two big Hollywood bars beat a dinky little Almond Joy any day of the week!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
We used to give 99 cents/pound for beef ribs. They are 3.99 on sale now. Cheapest edible "minced beef" is $3.50.

Yet they say there is no price inflation. And also supply is getting limited. Canned "mixed vegetables" are way expensive, and scarce. Why?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember walking to the store to buy a candy bar...They cost a nickel then..

I always bought the "Hollywood" bar... It was the biggest one on the shelf..

I never bought a Mounds or Almond Joy because they cost a dime...

and two big Hollywood bars beat a dinky little Almond Joy any day of the week!

It was Butterfingers or ChickoStick, PayDay. 5¢

Gum > Black Jack, Beech Nut Clove.
Atomic Fire Balls or Zotz for a penny! Used to sneak those in Study Hall or give Zotz to unsuspecting teachers! ;o)!

Smokerman

Veteran
Anyone’s mom used one of these? I remember getting my ass beat when I got caught playing around with it.

Latest posts

Latest posts