What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was your favorite pot from the day?

Rudedewd

What was the pot that you smoked long ago that you wish that you still had? First thing that I gotta say is that there WAS very strong pot back in the day, it wasn't as prevalent as good weed is now but I think that the best of the best from ago would stand up to even the best weed today. Of course commercial weed ruled the day back then with Columbian, Mexican and Jamaican all having commercial offerings with varying degrees of goodness but there were some that stood out from the crowd.

I think my all time favorite was from about 1974, a friend walked into my dorm room at UMass with a pound in a plastic bag. Unlike most weed from that time period it wasn't compressed, the bag was plum full of beautiful but seeded buds that were lime green at their center and a lovely bright gold on the outside. Taste was spicy hashy and the high was powerful, very trippy and long lasting. A half dozen people could get stoned off a small joint. I paid $315 for the pound which was the most that I ever paid back then and I was worried because I'd have to charge $35 an ounce at a time when Columbian Gold was selling for $30. I was going to cut it up and take it to my hometown and sell 3/4s of it and keep a quarter but it sold out before I could cut it up that night. Years later I read an article I think was by D J Short and it described Venizualan (I know that spelling ain't even close!) and I'm pretty sure that's what I had happened on to.

Honorable mention, Wacky Weed!. It was some fugly stuff, looked almost like some cut up black tobacky or something but it was a sledgehammer to the forehead.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
had to be around 1975 ..... acapulco gold , never seen anything like it before that & haven't sense ! gold color buds that stuck to the baggie ! , ya opened the bag & everybodys head spun in your direction lol
after that was the super skunk i was getting from Mass around 1980 ..... real deal skunk !!! another one i've never seen sense .

Relentless

Veteran
nice thread and stories! wish I was old enough to have seen some true thai stick and some of the other classics.. cant say I have a favorite I miss, but there were some local crosses that really stand out to this day.. stinky sweet pea probably being one of the most unique that I havent heard mentioned

OGkushklinski

The Skunk I got in the 90's which so strong & stinky it was amazing,it's what really made me fall in love with Mary Jane.also high grade cess we just called it high-grade but this was some special weed indeed lol. Then like everyone else got to mention Thai stick didn't get to try it till the 90's so missed the real 70's stuff they talk about in reefer men , but what we had was really nice . Tried some when I went Thailand last year but it was wasn't the best example, saved a few seeds .Cambodia next

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Acapulco Gold....

Acapulco Gold....

had to be around 1975 ..... acapulco gold , never seen anything like it before that & haven't sense ! gold color buds that stuck to the baggie ! , ya opened the bag & everybodys head spun in your direction lol
after that was the super skunk i was getting from Mass around 1980 ..... real deal skunk !!! another one i've never seen sense .

I remember when I bought it. Then I took a toke and my mouth dried up and I was extremely stoned.

'Kona Gold' circa 2006. Buds actually had an amber/gold look to them. The smell was like fresh carrot tops/earthy/ citrus. Not the most potent weed, but it had an incredibly high ceiling. Colors and sounds were very pleasing and vibrant on this gear. The best daytime weed I've ever had.

I knew the grower, so I was able to see the plants a couple of times. The Kona Gold had the most rubbery feeling leaves of any cannabis plant I've ever encountered. Felt almost like a succulent plant.

I was very sad the day my grower friend told me that he would have to stop running the Kona because the yield wasn't high enough compared to the flowering time.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
The best cannabis we smoked late 70's was golden,
seeded and buds were un pressed.

We all called it pot, or Gold. I don't remember cost, maybe 40 bucks for a bag.

Some bricked, seeded stuff too. At every party someone had a bag or two.

Mostly smoked joints, only bong hits with intimate gatherings.

Always someone breaking buds over a double LP to sort
out the seeds.

Music was Boston, Zeppelin and Steely Dan, Aja. Peppered
with Jeff Beck and Fleetwood Mac.

For me, my first experience with green bud was with my
brother and his wife during a sleepover. So gummy and
fragrant, like floral incense.

Good times, haven't thought about that for awhile.

Gry

In the area I was, the very first cannabis from Columbia that I was exposed to was really very special. Always referred to it as 'spice rack' cannabis. The later stuff did not even come close to what first arrived. I have not ever run across cannabis with flavors and tastes quite like that.

There was a joint of Kuaui (sp) Electric shared among 6 people in the Western part of N. Carolina in 1975 or was it the Thai Stick in 1974-1975. They were awesome. But the cake goes to a lb of Santa Marta Colombian Gold in 1976 for which I paid $500, and in 15 minutes, 12 ounces were sold for $40/oz. I felt bad selling it for that much. It was orange, not yellow gold, and it had no ceiling. Five people would share a joint and we got baked. There is nothing today that compares to those.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best cannabis for me was in 1979 ,,, Jamaican "lambsbred",,,
£25 a qtr back then and that was a lot of money!,,
usually wrapped in newspaper and would have zero bag appeal in todays market....
Followed by Thai stick,,,,,,,,,s2

mr.brunch

Veteran
Some half pressed orange colour hash back in 89/90 or so .. Damn stuff made my legs tingle , my eyes red and tripped me out a little.
Never since.....

Reactions: X15

Rudedewd

Man this thread brings back some memories. Another honorable mention is some Hawaiin from about 1980. It was the first weed that i ever really grew too and it came out awesome. It was then that I figured out that you can grow kick ass weed indoors.

latscholax

Weed was very rare in the Germ. in the early 90s (but high quality). Always very good hash was available. I remember "Caramello", little sausages of 10-30g, tasted like pure evil, hits lungs and body like a truck.
and there sometimes was "Zero". Very pale brown, if you had in in the pockets and it got warm, impossible to get out of the bag, transformed into glue..super freak out trippy stuff. Also NL was worth a trip in these days, not like today...
I thought i would never get that high again until i got to know some Chemdog things in the last years :biggrin: