What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Andy Griffith

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Huh, it's a time capsule, unalterable. The show itself is even more fascinating to me now, I had zero idea it was riddled with this sort of contention but I do now. Thank you for your considered response I read it twice.

Well I don't know if it's fair to say it's riddled with contention because to me that sounds almost like it was intentional. Now if you mean that it's unintended then yeah that's probably a true statement but you could also make that statement about most of the shows from that era compared to now. I mean life was just so very different back in those days. I mean back then American's in many ways were healthier then now for one example, people ate lots of red meat, eggs, real butter, drank whole milk yet there wasn't an obesity crisis, diabetes was much less common, hardly anyone even knew about cholesterol and cancer was a fairly rare thing. A lot of that was because the foods were more whole foods, weren't highly processed and weren't loaded with sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Another reason people were generally healthier is that while people owning cars was becoming fairly common people were much more active and walked more or rode bicycles more. I mean when you examine it closely it's actually quite amazing how different things are now compared to then, many differences are for the better but many more are for the worse.

HempKat

Veteran
Kids still like outdoor fun. Problem is no adults to do the things with, or places to do them at. I have fallen into the wonderful retired life of being buddies with a 7 year old tomboy girl that my friend (her grandfather with full custody) let's me "kidnap". We fish a lot at my pond, ride 4 wheelers, shoot BB guns at targets and turtles, garden, explore nature, work the worm bins and compost, rides along while I mow, all in my yard. When I go do redneck farm things, like go get fish at the fish truck, I bring her along, and she goes up on it and looks in the tanks. She doesn't watch much tee vee, but somehow picked up on the difference between dirt and soil. I up-potted her little flower she raised from seed in a tiny pot into a gallon of living soil with worms, and the growth was explosive. True soil accolyte now. She loves gardening and being outside. Remember the sunscreen and water.

In my opinion.... The biggest difference between the black and white tee vee daze of the 50s and 60s, and today, is the money isn't worth anything anymore. It is too crowded, too expensive, and people are living shoulder to shoulder like sardines. Mothers had to get jobs instead of stay home and raise children starting in the 70's (inflation), and now the kids are raised by the propaganda on the tee vee's that "parents" park the kids in front of so they can do something else. Or on the street. Or in school or daycares, run by control freak lib commies. My little buddy gets kicked out, cause she refuses to be bullshitted.

When I was a kid growing up in SoCal, I was free to roam, and roam I did. Yeah I got hurt, but that was part of growing up back then, as a free-range kid.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply all kids avoid outside activities and to be fair the ones that do are because their parents are happy to let the tv and/or game console babysit them. Fortunately some parents do make the effort still to teach their kids how to have fun outdoors being active. As for the changes in the value of money, how crowded things are and the changes to family life due to both parents working, I completely agree with all that. I remember my oldest brother (he's in his late 70's now) once lamenting about how back in the day he could fill up his gas tank (20 gallon) and buy a carton of cigarettes using a $20 bill and get back $5 plus change and yet when he made that comment he couldn't fill a gas tank for $20 or buy a carton of cigarettes for $20. I also remember helping my mother grocery shop and for around $80-$100 she would buy enough groceries to feed a family of 5 for two weeks and that also included non food items like paper supplies, cleaning supplies and hygiene supplies. Now a days I can easily spend $100 for two weeks of food just for myself without any of the non food supplies.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Earnest T. Bass
Don't forget to vote 2024!
ernest.jpg

He has a great campaign slogan.
rock vote.jpg

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still don’t get how shooting turtles can be considered a proper pastime:wtf:What kind of sport is that ?it’s not like they can really run away now is it…

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Live targets to shoot, with a beneficial purpose. Turtles are a real problem with ponds. One or two are OK, but they decimate fish egg nests, which means no small fish to feed the chain. I have bass coming up to eat the dog food I throw out for the catfish. No live food in there for them that is small enough to eat. The turtles have all the chance they need, cause they can duck under water and swim away. They walk all the time, but I have never seen one run.

I have a lot of time and money in the ponds. When I am by myself I use a pretty accurate .22. When I am really pissed it is a 20ga shotgun. Ponds have to be managed.

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here’s “ Tucker” … Doing his part to help keep the earthworm population down:dance013:

Nannymouse

I do remember that Polio was a BIG thing, back then. Hubby and i were just talking about how most people these days have never even seen a person that has survived Polio, cuz those damn vaccination programs back then had an 'adgenda'...to rid society of Polio. It worked. So did the vaccinations for Smallpox. And you don't see a lot of Measles, Mumps, or Rubella, like they used to. My grandmother had diabetes and although there WAS insulin, hardly anyone that wasn't rich ended up not getting any. When she knew that she was dying, she canned chicken by the hundreds of jars, so that my dad and his dad would have food to eat after she was gone. Dad would hunt on his way to school and back.

We kids would actually WALK with our fishing poles, to the lake, which was over three miles away. WITHOUT adults. We would swim with the snapper turtles, dig for clams, and have the best time catching bluegills and crappie. We WORKED as kids, there was a big garden that we kids helped plant and then did most of the weeding. Had critters that came with a bunch of chores. You learned in a hurry that complaining to the adults that you were BORED, would not get you a bunch of sympathy, but would get you some more work. We learned how to use tools at very young ages, syphoned gas when we needed it for mowing, from the cars. Used scythes for cutting bigger weeds. Learned to use rope and how to use certain knots for certain uses. Rope and wire gates. Knew the difference between hay and straw.

The other day, i asked if anyone remembered toothbrushes before the plastic ones. Nobody remembered that the bristles were made from pig hair. I remember getting milk delivered, and the bottles were glass and had cardboard lids. I remember the milk cartons that came out after that, they were some sort of paper product that was coated in wax to keep the paper/cardboard from getting soaked. We had a party line phone that had a crank that would connect direct with telephone operator.

We also didn't have the weather radar and didn't know when a tornado was likely, or on its way. You just knew by the feel of the air, when it was 'tornado weather'.

But, for all the charm of years gone by, there was far more tolerance of men cheating on wives, men beating their families, drunks, drunken driving, etc. I felt that i was being tortured with the day's 'fashion musts', like hair rollers that had bristles that poked into the scalp, girdles, shoes that were too narrow. One town that we lived was so intolerant of 'mixed marriages' (i.e. Catholic marrying Protestant) that such an action would cause the couple to be completely shut out of their families.

No, it was not the best of times, but probably not the worst of times, either. I think about those countries that have been at war for decades or even centuries, and see how naïve that most americans are.

Canglish

... ... No, it was not the best of times, but probably not the worst of times, either. I think about those countries that have been at war for decades or even centuries, and see how naïve that most americans are.

Thank you SO much for that whole post, I was just talking with a lady named Vivian where I work and she related pretty much the exact same things but especially regarding your last paragraphs. Fascinated.

PassionForMJ

Yeah I didn't mean to imply all kids avoid outside activities and to be fair the ones that do are because their parents are happy to let the tv and/or game console babysit them. Fortunately some parents do make the effort still to teach their kids how to have fun outdoors being active. As for the changes in the value of money, how crowded things are and the changes to family life due to both parents working, I completely agree with all that. I remember my oldest brother (he's in his late 70's now) once lamenting about how back in the day he could fill up his gas tank (20 gallon) and buy a carton of cigarettes using a $20 bill and get back $5 plus change and yet when he made that comment he couldn't fill a gas tank for $20 or buy a carton of cigarettes for $20. I also remember helping my mother grocery shop and for around $80-$100 she would buy enough groceries to feed a family of 5 for two weeks and that also included non food items like paper supplies, cleaning supplies and hygiene supplies. Now a days I can easily spend $100 for two weeks of food just for myself without any of the non food supplies.

Hey there HK, been a while my friend, glad to see you are still around, I lurk in the shadows when not working my life away.
Smoking recreationally finally became legal in my state, but I just got promoted at work, and am making a good bit of money now, so I am waiting for a while to be sure they are going to keep with their changed drug policy, and not test for it...
Anyways, glad you are still alive and kicking my friend, I heard O is having, or was having a rough time, if I can help in any way I will, I owe her a lot for her help, time, dedication, and strains, she is the one who got me started with real strains, till her I was bag seeding it up...
Man being new here sucks, I cannot add my avvy or anything, no pm's....
Going to have to see if admin can help me get my PassionForMaryJ account back...

HempKat

Veteran
Hey there HK, been a while my friend, glad to see you are still around, I lurk in the shadows when not working my life away.
Smoking recreationally finally became legal in my state, but I just got promoted at work, and am making a good bit of money now, so I am waiting for a while to be sure they are going to keep with their changed drug policy, and not test for it...
Anyways, glad you are still alive and kicking my friend, I heard O is having, or was having a rough time, if I can help in any way I will, I owe her a lot for her help, time, dedication, and strains, she is the one who got me started with real strains, till her I was bag seeding it up...
Man being new here sucks, I cannot add my avvy or anything, no pm's....
Going to have to see if admin can help me get my PassionForMaryJ account back...

Hey Passion, good to see you're still around too and congrats on the promotion and on the luck of having your state finally becoming sane. As for the restrictions, as I recall it's only until you log 50 posts so just get busy commenting in a few active threads, that might just end up being easier then trying to recover an old account. As for O I haven't heard anything one way or another. The last I heard she was kind of on the run but that was years ago, then her state went fully legal more recently and I thought that would have meant an end to that?

As for me yeah I kind of dropped off the map because life was giving me a lot of challenges with mine and my wife's health and that all basically put an end to my growing, Then my Mom passed, all of my cats passed (not all at once though) and finally my wife passed, all in too short of a time frame for me to easily cope with. Then there was the whole Covid thing. For a while there I was very depressed but eventually got past that but then my health got a bit worse and with my wife being gone my income is much tighter and that has all taken me to a point where I haven't been able to afford to get back into growing. I may be starting up a smaller indoor grow setup using an LED setup and a grow tent that was offered as a donation to me by MARS LED which is one of the vendors on this site, in exchange for doing a grow diary promoting their gear. That probably won't happen for a few months though, I have an issue I'm facing which could potentially force me to move and so I want to get that sorted out before I commit to anything.

Anyway, it's great hearing from you and I'm really happy to hear things are going in a more positive direction for you now, you're a good man and deserve things to be going your way for a change. Smart move though on playing it cautious with the new promotion, as the say goes, Make hay when the sun shines, you can always smoke a jay when it doesn't, or something along those lines :joint:

PassionForMJ

Good to still be around ole friend, you are the first one I looked up when I got on here, I was like man if ole Hempy is not on anymore nobody I know will be, then I seen cooked cook has been around not too long ago..
I see HashCraver has been gone for a while, man I miss his hash filled threads...
And every time I think of him I think of that lil shin dig back in the day that I wish I could have made it to, but you know now that more states are going legal, maybe one day there will be a OG reunion, and a few of us could actually attend with less fear, it would be awesome, I'd love to show my skill with a grill and some good meat...
If I get back into growing it will be legal, but I still don't know about letting all my security down....

I think Cooked Cook has talked to O recently, she was having some medical issues and in need of help, one of the Super Mods is going to try to get Gypsy to let him unban her...
Which I think she got banned because of some issues she was having with TOH, and the issues were aired out in a public forum on here..
I could be wrong, but I remember something along those lines...

I see wpw, and none of the others I remember are around...
I wonder if ~G~ lurks around here, I almost even miss him and his trollish behavior, it was entertaining, and beneath it all he was actually a smart dude..
I am trying to get my old account back, if Gypsy gives the thumbs up I'll be good to go, I just cannot remember which e-mail I used back when I got my account back before, I have actually had to reclaim it once before, I see it still has the 3LB's awesome links in it, I wonder if they still frequent the CannaCabana.....

PassionForMJ

Sorry to hear about your Mom and the Cats..
I lost my Mom like 6 years back, then like 3 years ago My grandmother whom I looked after for a long time...
I had to put my boy dog down like 3 years ago due to age and bad full blown grand mal seizures, I think he had a brain tumor, at the time I was too broke to find out, and I made the decision to put him down, held him as he went, man that was the hardest day of my life, he slept beside me in the bed for 15 years, and went everywhere I went pretty much, they rode to the car when I went grocery shopping, him and my girlie dog that is..
Now I have very little family left, and I noticed how I was missing the better days, real close friends, and ones from the net...
Life is good but lonely, in time I should find a woman, this place is too big for me alone, lol

PassionForMJ

Oh man, I meant to include the wifey in that, really sorry to hear she passed my friend, I hope you have been keeping your head up and trying to enjoy life as much as possible, don't let misery become a good friend, misery sucks balls!

I hope the living situation is worked out soon, and you are able to grow on a small scale, hell man I am more than happy to put heads together with you and come up with ways to grow cheap, but still have good results.
I recently got into hydro and built a sort of NFT setup for a family member, it turned out well, but the veggies and all did too well, and the 4" PVC was getting clogged with roots, even 6" would eventually get bad, but we will probably step up to that... eventually get bad, but we will probably step up to that...
You can do a lot with some LED's now days, but I still prefer CFL's for more lumens, and nutes can be fairly cheap, hell for a while I used miracle grow, and it goes a LONG way..
If organic blood and bone meal are not too pricey, but things like worm castings and green sand, can add up..
Cheap soil and miracle grow will get you a little bud going...
I'd like to do a low budget thread some day, and get feedback from others, as well as share my knowledge of how to grow for cheap, because not all of us can afford high electric bills, and AN nutes of all kinds...
Oh yeah, the pipe going up and over in the pic if there for adding hangers to support plant weight, and also to run netting for things like cukes...
20200616_145921[1].jpg

PassionForMJ

To the OP of the thread, sorry for getting the thread off topic, I apologize.
Just had not seen HempKat in a long time..
And I am still unable to PM..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are not seriously suggesting that the pre-Civil Rights, apartheid version of America is somehow its peak... or are you?

Not sure how it was for non whites but for me it was better for sure. Whether it is better for non whites today is questionable. Quotas/affirmative action, crime, murders, victim identity, broken families, all up and happiness? That Mayberry thing never existed but things were closer to that show than now for sure. Overall, a downhill slide during my lifetime.

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just wanna know the answer to this question >>>> was life simpler back then ??? Btw Star Crash was born in ‘61