Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	17908261
    I think I found my avatar, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Canglish View Post

I think I found my avatar, thanks.
      It looks good on you.
      You got my vote.
      โ€œThe sun will eclipse soon unless you sacrifice the prince consort to the goddess of the moon.โ€
      Hans Bornefeld

Comment

Originally posted by HempKat View Post

Yeah I didn't mean to imply all kids avoid outside activities and to be fair the ones that do are because their parents are happy to let the tv and/or game console babysit them. Fortunately some parents do make the effort still to teach their kids how to have fun outdoors being active. As for the changes in the value of money, how crowded things are and the changes to family life due to both parents working, I completely agree with all that. I remember my oldest brother (he's in his late 70's now) once lamenting about how back in the day he could fill up his gas tank (20 gallon) and buy a carton of cigarettes using a $20 bill and get back $5 plus change and yet when he made that comment he couldn't fill a gas tank for $20 or buy a carton of cigarettes for $20. I also remember helping my mother grocery shop and for around $80-$100 she would buy enough groceries to feed a family of 5 for two weeks and that also included non food items like paper supplies, cleaning supplies and hygiene supplies. Now a days I can easily spend $100 for two weeks of food just for myself without any of the non food supplies.
        Hey there HK, been a while my friend, glad to see you are still around, I lurk in the shadows when not working my life away.
        Smoking recreationally finally became legal in my state, but I just got promoted at work, and am making a good bit of money now, so I am waiting for a while to be sure they are going to keep with their changed drug policy, and not test for it...
        Anyways, glad you are still alive and kicking my friend, I heard O is having, or was having a rough time, if I can help in any way I will, I owe her a lot for her help, time, dedication, and strains, she is the one who got me started with real strains, till her I was bag seeding it up...
        Man being new here sucks, I cannot add my avvy or anything, no pm's....
        Going to have to see if admin can help me get my PassionForMaryJ account back...

Comment

Originally posted by PassionForMJ View Post

Hey there HK, been a while my friend, glad to see you are still around, I lurk in the shadows when not working my life away.
          Smoking recreationally finally became legal in my state, but I just got promoted at work, and am making a good bit of money now, so I am waiting for a while to be sure they are going to keep with their changed drug policy, and not test for it...
          Anyways, glad you are still alive and kicking my friend, I heard O is having, or was having a rough time, if I can help in any way I will, I owe her a lot for her help, time, dedication, and strains, she is the one who got me started with real strains, till her I was bag seeding it up...
          Man being new here sucks, I cannot add my avvy or anything, no pm's....
          Going to have to see if admin can help me get my PassionForMaryJ account back...
          Hey Passion, good to see you're still around too and congrats on the promotion and on the luck of having your state finally becoming sane. As for the restrictions, as I recall it's only until you log 50 posts so just get busy commenting in a few active threads, that might just end up being easier then trying to recover an old account. As for O I haven't heard anything one way or another. The last I heard she was kind of on the run but that was years ago, then her state went fully legal more recently and I thought that would have meant an end to that?

As for me yeah I kind of dropped off the map because life was giving me a lot of challenges with mine and my wife's health and that all basically put an end to my growing, Then my Mom passed, all of my cats passed (not all at once though) and finally my wife passed, all in too short of a time frame for me to easily cope with. Then there was the whole Covid thing. For a while there I was very depressed but eventually got past that but then my health got a bit worse and with my wife being gone my income is much tighter and that has all taken me to a point where I haven't been able to afford to get back into growing. I may be starting up a smaller indoor grow setup using an LED setup and a grow tent that was offered as a donation to me by MARS LED which is one of the vendors on this site, in exchange for doing a grow diary promoting their gear. That probably won't happen for a few months though, I have an issue I'm facing which could potentially force me to move and so I want to get that sorted out before I commit to anything.

Anyway, it's great hearing from you and I'm really happy to hear things are going in a more positive direction for you now, you're a good man and deserve things to be going your way for a change. Smart move though on playing it cautious with the new promotion, as the say goes, Make hay when the sun shines, you can always smoke a jay when it doesn't, or something along those lines
          Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat & The Insane Clone Posse!

Deep Stoner Thoughts

Comment

Good to still be around ole friend, you are the first one I looked up when I got on here, I was like man if ole Hempy is not on anymore nobody I know will be, then I seen cooked cook has been around not too long ago..
            I see HashCraver has been gone for a while, man I miss his hash filled threads...
            And every time I think of him I think of that lil shin dig back in the day that I wish I could have made it to, but you know now that more states are going legal, maybe one day there will be a OG reunion, and a few of us could actually attend with less fear, it would be awesome, I'd love to show my skill with a grill and some good meat...
            If I get back into growing it will be legal, but I still don't know about letting all my security down....

I think Cooked Cook has talked to O recently, she was having some medical issues and in need of help, one of the Super Mods is going to try to get Gypsy to let him unban her...
            Which I think she got banned because of some issues she was having with TOH, and the issues were aired out in a public forum on here..
            I could be wrong, but I remember something along those lines...

I see wpw, and none of the others I remember are around...
            I wonder if ~G~ lurks around here, I almost even miss him and his trollish behavior, it was entertaining, and beneath it all he was actually a smart dude..
            I am trying to get my old account back, if Gypsy gives the thumbs up I'll be good to go, I just cannot remember which e-mail I used back when I got my account back before, I have actually had to reclaim it once before, I see it still has the 3LB's awesome links in it, I wonder if they still frequent the CannaCabana.....

Comment

Sorry to hear about your Mom and the Cats..
              I lost my Mom like 6 years back, then like 3 years ago My grandmother whom I looked after for a long time...
              I had to put my boy dog down like 3 years ago due to age and bad full blown grand mal seizures, I think he had a brain tumor, at the time I was too broke to find out, and I made the decision to put him down, held him as he went, man that was the hardest day of my life, he slept beside me in the bed for 15 years, and went everywhere I went pretty much, they rode to the car when I went grocery shopping, him and my girlie dog that is..
              Now I have very little family left, and I noticed how I was missing the better days, real close friends, and ones from the net...
              Life is good but lonely, in time I should find a woman, this place is too big for me alone, lol

Comment

Oh man, I meant to include the wifey in that, really sorry to hear she passed my friend, I hope you have been keeping your head up and trying to enjoy life as much as possible, don't let misery become a good friend, misery sucks balls!

I hope the living situation is worked out soon, and you are able to grow on a small scale, hell man I am more than happy to put heads together with you and come up with ways to grow cheap, but still have good results.
                I recently got into hydro and built a sort of NFT setup for a family member, it turned out well, but the veggies and all did too well, and the 4" PVC was getting clogged with roots, even 6" would eventually get bad, but we will probably step up to that... eventually get bad, but we will probably step up to that...
                You can do a lot with some LED's now days, but I still prefer CFL's for more lumens, and nutes can be fairly cheap, hell for a while I used miracle grow, and it goes a LONG way..
                If organic blood and bone meal are not too pricey, but things like worm castings and green sand, can add up..
                Cheap soil and miracle grow will get you a little bud going...
                I'd like to do a low budget thread some day, and get feedback from others, as well as share my knowledge of how to grow for cheap, because not all of us can afford high electric bills, and AN nutes of all kinds...
                Oh yeah, the pipe going up and over in the pic if there for adding hangers to support plant weight, and also to run netting for things like cukes...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200616_145921[1].jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	17910925

Comment

To the OP of the thread, sorry for getting the thread off topic, I apologize.
                  Just had not seen HempKat in a long time..
                  And I am still unable to PM..

Comment

Originally posted by MrFancyPlants View Post
                    You are not seriously suggesting that the pre-Civil Rights, apartheid version of America is somehow its peak... or are you?
                    Not sure how it was for non whites but for me it was better for sure. Whether it is better for non whites today is questionable. Quotas/affirmative action, crime, murders, victim identity, broken families, all up and happiness? That Mayberry thing never existed but things were closer to that show than now for sure. Overall, a downhill slide during my lifetime.

Comment

I just wanna know the answer to this question >>>> was life simpler back then ??? Btw Star Crash was born in โ€˜61

Comment

Oh man, I meant to include the wifey in that, really sorry to hear she passed my friend, I hope you have been keeping your head up and trying to enjoy life as much as possible, don't let misery become a good friend, misery sucks balls!

Oh yeah, the pipe going up and over in the pic if there for adding hangers to support plant weight, and also to run netting for things like cukes...
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20200616_145921[1].jpg Views:	34 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	17910925
                        Does the sun degrade the plastic ?
                        Never Under-estimate the Psychopathic-ness of a Politician

who is in Save the Children Mode.

Comment

To the OP of the thread, sorry for getting the thread off topic, I apologize.
                          Just had not seen HempKat in a long time..
                          And I am still unable to PM..
                          Zero worries friend, it's all fascinating whether on or off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by HempKat View Post

I would say it was both like normal life and cartoonish. The things that went on in the background showing small town life were pretty close to real as was the depiction of Andy's home and family. What was cartoonish was Andy at work and especially Don Knotts and Gomer Pyle who eventually joined the military and started his own show. The thing to keep in mid though was that was only a fair depiction of rural life and more so in the mid west. Rural life in other parts of the country had similarities but also big differences and of course City life was nothing like Andy Griffith.

I kind of get the initial question too, life was in many ways more peaceful and enjoyable, more laid back and those days were a great time for young people growing up back then to go off and discover themselves which was represented by the whole hippie movement that happened around that time. Unfortunately it was not so great for non white people but that general time period brought about the civil rights movement which sought to make things more equal and more fair for everyone. Now if you were to ask someone that is a white supremist they would probably tell you "Hell yeah that was our peak of society" because white privilege was very much at play in those days and was more out in the open without anyone questioning it. Now if you were to ask a woman what she thought of that time period you would probably get mixed answers depending on the woman you asked. A lot of women probably miss the family values of those days especially if they have children and they probably miss how people were more neighborly but back then it was still a time of "A woman's place is in the home" and "Women should be kept barefoot and pregnant". Women has the right to vote by then but really not much else. The idea of a woman being career minded or being the main bread winner in a family had not yet emerged. There were a few exceptional woman, usually from powerful families that were able to achieve big things for a woman of that period but they were far and few between.

In a way it could be summed up like a well known book Charles Dickens wrote about the French Revolution called a "Tale of Two Cities" the quote goes as follows ""It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

Now see the funny thing about that quote is that it was appropriate about the time of the French Revolution and it was appropriate about the 50's and 60's in America and depending on who you speak to you might conclude it applies to today as well. It really boils down to a matter of perspective and what you're wanting out of life. Usually you'll find that younger people will side with the more modern times because that's all they've known, that's what they grew up in. Most young people these days would absolutely hate life back then there was no internet or computers for the average person, just the military and scientists. A computer with the capability of today's latest cellphones would take up the space of a whole home and cost millions to build and even then it wouldn't have all the functionality because back then programing was very primitive compared to today. Speaking of cellphones there were known of those, no laptops color television was the cutting edge of technology and not even the video game pong existed yet let alone anything like today's modern gaming consoles. Could you imagine a kid of today being happy in that environment? They would probably see it as utterly barbaric. Back then the only thing to do for fun were physical activities like riding a bike or fishing or skipping stones like you see depicted in the opening intro of the show. OF course there were many other activities but almost all outdoors and if they were all you knew or you have an open mind they were fun. If you wanted to be like today's kids and stay indoors the most entertaining thing to do was to watch tv, that is of course if your family was well enough off to own a tv. And since there were no cable companies yet and very few satellites all you had was tv broadcast thru the air by big antennas and at best that meant you had access to just 3 or 4 channels if you were lucky sometimes less if you were really rural. Also back in those days tv would go off air during the late night hours and come back on in the morning. I could go on I'm sure but I think you get the picture. Like I said before it's all a matter of perspective and who you talk to. Some will romanticize those days because of things that were abundant then but scarce now and others will see it exactly the opposite. Because after all....you have just crossed over to the, "Twilight Zone". ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                            In my not so humble opinion: this is a great post!

I also like it that the poster has enuf time and energy to treat the topic seriously.

I want to say that I grew up roaming in Nature. My home was a mad house which I recognised all too clearly so OUTSIDE I used to go for as long as possible. Thus I grew up in a GREEN world with a BLUE sky and today I strive for the same things.

Think now of the children of this electronic age whose outside world is on a screen. An unreal world.

It is no wonder that such a world produces imbecilic notions such as those of Qanon and produces individuals like the Capitol rioters and IC Mag member McNoodle. Or even Trump is the new Jesus. Oh Jesus!

Breakfast is ready now ... goodbye (post 35)

Comment

Originally posted by star crash View Post
                              I just wanna know the answer to this question >>>> was life simpler back then ??? Btw Star Crash was born in โ€˜61
                              IMHO yes! There is so much hatred generated/fabriacated these days combined with artificial stimulation, no wonder the world is off their rocker. I can't speak for others, but we played/associated with "individuals" not ethnicity. As MLK clearly stated... judge a man by the strength of his character not the colour of their skin. Don't get me wrong, we had assholes even in those days but, it was few and far between compared to today... that unless you see and agree to/with my POV, your cancelled, which is total BS! It is akin of taking your ball and going home. Nothing more, nothing less!

original post...
                              Originally posted by Switcher56 View Post
                              I remember the sixties, I was born in '56. Yes people were more civilized with each other, and had more manners. You didn't dare tell a grown up to "fuck off", etc... Then again it was the dawn of the civil rights movement and, unfortunately although it got off the ground with some seriousness. Unfortunately, it was short lived. The "machine" ensured that it was not about to happen or take root and assassinated the lot.
                              Now! you clearly see the result of that decision, world wide. We are currently living on a chartered course of, me, myself and I!
                              Harlequin & Acapulco Gold manifold grow
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=81581

โ€œThe ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
                              but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.โ€

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
                              the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
                              may their arms be too short to scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by VenerableHippie View Post
                                I want to say that I grew up roaming in Nature. My home was a mad house which I recognised all too clearly so OUTSIDE I used to go for as long as possible. Thus I grew up in a GREEN world with a BLUE sky and today I strive for the same things.
                                Remember how back in the day the instructions from our parents were that we had to be in by dark and that all us kids playing outside would stretch the definition of when dark actually began by as much as possible? Good Times.
                                Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat & The Insane Clone Posse!

Deep Stoner Thoughts

Comment

Working...
                                X