• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hee hee

Comment

Originally posted by star crash View Post
      Hee hee
      Yup. She even likes to hold hands when we walk. Had her going underwater today, and learning how to swim. Drop her off back home in the evening, resume my low life wayz. I wouldn't trade her for Opie.

Life is good. What are they complaining about on the tee vee, or speakers corner lately?
      ______________________________ __________________________
      Dr. Tuggle's Compound Syrup of Globe Flower

https://youtu.be/x0BinEFCp38?t=74

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87

Things just chug long when those microbes are happy........scrappy

Comment

Originally posted by HempKat View Post
        😮
        Huh, it's a time capsule, unalterable. The show itself is even more fascinating to me now, I had zero idea it was riddled with this sort of contention but I do now. Thank you for your considered response I read it twice.

Comment

flylowgethigh - I am so glad you have this, the years between 6 and 12 with my daughter are my most cherished of all, cherished.

Comment

Take a walk to Andy Griffith's Mayberry in Franklin Canyon

You don’t have to visit Mayberry to pay homage to the late Andy Griffith. You can do it locally. Much of “The Andy Griffith Show” was shot in Los Angeles.

The bucolic scenes featured in the show’s opening credit sequence –- Sheriff Andy Taylor and his son Opie, poles in hand, heading out for a day of fishing –- were filmed at a man-made reservoir in L.A.’s Franklin Canyon.

Place still looks much the same today, as it did then.

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/fra...aparral-trail/
            That which matters most

Comment

Originally posted by Canglish View Post

Huh, it's a time capsule, unalterable. The show itself is even more fascinating to me now, I had zero idea it was riddled with this sort of contention but I do now. Thank you for your considered response I read it twice.
              Well I don't know if it's fair to say it's riddled with contention because to me that sounds almost like it was intentional. Now if you mean that it's unintended then yeah that's probably a true statement but you could also make that statement about most of the shows from that era compared to now. I mean life was just so very different back in those days. I mean back then American's in many ways were healthier then now for one example, people ate lots of red meat, eggs, real butter, drank whole milk yet there wasn't an obesity crisis, diabetes was much less common, hardly anyone even knew about cholesterol and cancer was a fairly rare thing. A lot of that was because the foods were more whole foods, weren't highly processed and weren't loaded with sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Another reason people were generally healthier is that while people owning cars was becoming fairly common people were much more active and walked more or rode bicycles more. I mean when you examine it closely it's actually quite amazing how different things are now compared to then, many differences are for the better but many more are for the worse.
              Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat & The Insane Clone Posse!

Deep Stoner Thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by flylowgethigh View Post

Kids still like outdoor fun. Problem is no adults to do the things with, or places to do them at. I have fallen into the wonderful retired life of being buddies with a 7 year old tomboy girl that my friend (her grandfather with full custody) let's me "kidnap". We fish a lot at my pond, ride 4 wheelers, shoot BB guns at targets and turtles, garden, explore nature, work the worm bins and compost, rides along while I mow, all in my yard. When I go do redneck farm things, like go get fish at the fish truck, I bring her along, and she goes up on it and looks in the tanks. She doesn't watch much tee vee, but somehow picked up on the difference between dirt and soil. I up-potted her little flower she raised from seed in a tiny pot into a gallon of living soil with worms, and the growth was explosive. True soil accolyte now. She loves gardening and being outside. Remember the sunscreen and water.

In my opinion.... The biggest difference between the black and white tee vee daze of the 50s and 60s, and today, is the money isn't worth anything anymore. It is too crowded, too expensive, and people are living shoulder to shoulder like sardines. Mothers had to get jobs instead of stay home and raise children starting in the 70's (inflation), and now the kids are raised by the propaganda on the tee vee's that "parents" park the kids in front of so they can do something else. Or on the street. Or in school or daycares, run by control freak lib commies. My little buddy gets kicked out, cause she refuses to be bullshitted.

When I was a kid growing up in SoCal, I was free to roam, and roam I did. Yeah I got hurt, but that was part of growing up back then, as a free-range kid.
                Yeah I didn't mean to imply all kids avoid outside activities and to be fair the ones that do are because their parents are happy to let the tv and/or game console babysit them. Fortunately some parents do make the effort still to teach their kids how to have fun outdoors being active. As for the changes in the value of money, how crowded things are and the changes to family life due to both parents working, I completely agree with all that. I remember my oldest brother (he's in his late 70's now) once lamenting about how back in the day he could fill up his gas tank (20 gallon) and buy a carton of cigarettes using a $20 bill and get back $5 plus change and yet when he made that comment he couldn't fill a gas tank for $20 or buy a carton of cigarettes for $20. I also remember helping my mother grocery shop and for around $80-$100 she would buy enough groceries to feed a family of 5 for two weeks and that also included non food items like paper supplies, cleaning supplies and hygiene supplies. Now a days I can easily spend $100 for two weeks of food just for myself without any of the non food supplies.
                Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat & The Insane Clone Posse!

Deep Stoner Thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmobile View Post
                  I learned about courting a woman.

Guess which character taught me that.
                  Earnest T. Bass

Comment

Originally posted by przcvctm View Post

Earnest T. Bass
                    Don't forget to vote 2024!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ernest.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	17908261

He has a great campaign slogan.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	rock vote.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	17908262

“The sun will eclipse soon unless you sacrifice the prince consort to the goddess of the moon.”
                    Hans Bornefeld

Comment

Still don’t get how shooting turtles can be considered a proper pastimeWhat kind of sport is that ?it’s not like they can really run away now is it…

Comment

Live targets to shoot, with a beneficial purpose. Turtles are a real problem with ponds. One or two are OK, but they decimate fish egg nests, which means no small fish to feed the chain. I have bass coming up to eat the dog food I throw out for the catfish. No live food in there for them that is small enough to eat. The turtles have all the chance they need, cause they can duck under water and swim away. They walk all the time, but I have never seen one run.

I have a lot of time and money in the ponds. When I am by myself I use a pretty accurate .22. When I am really pissed it is a 20ga shotgun. Ponds have to be managed.

Comment

Here’s “ Tucker” … Doing his part to help keep the earthworm population down
                          Watch "F061D6F8-27DE-47F8-A516-1307D5C35E4B" on Streamable.

Comment

I do remember that Polio was a BIG thing, back then. Hubby and i were just talking about how most people these days have never even seen a person that has survived Polio, cuz those damn vaccination programs back then had an 'adgenda'...to rid society of Polio. It worked. So did the vaccinations for Smallpox. And you don't see a lot of Measles, Mumps, or Rubella, like they used to. My grandmother had diabetes and although there WAS insulin, hardly anyone that wasn't rich ended up not getting any. When she knew that she was dying, she canned chicken by the hundreds of jars, so that my dad and his dad would have food to eat after she was gone. Dad would hunt on his way to school and back.

We kids would actually WALK with our fishing poles, to the lake, which was over three miles away. WITHOUT adults. We would swim with the snapper turtles, dig for clams, and have the best time catching bluegills and crappie. We WORKED as kids, there was a big garden that we kids helped plant and then did most of the weeding. Had critters that came with a bunch of chores. You learned in a hurry that complaining to the adults that you were BORED, would not get you a bunch of sympathy, but would get you some more work. We learned how to use tools at very young ages, syphoned gas when we needed it for mowing, from the cars. Used scythes for cutting bigger weeds. Learned to use rope and how to use certain knots for certain uses. Rope and wire gates. Knew the difference between hay and straw.

The other day, i asked if anyone remembered toothbrushes before the plastic ones. Nobody remembered that the bristles were made from pig hair. I remember getting milk delivered, and the bottles were glass and had cardboard lids. I remember the milk cartons that came out after that, they were some sort of paper product that was coated in wax to keep the paper/cardboard from getting soaked. We had a party line phone that had a crank that would connect direct with telephone operator.

We also didn't have the weather radar and didn't know when a tornado was likely, or on its way. You just knew by the feel of the air, when it was 'tornado weather'.

But, for all the charm of years gone by, there was far more tolerance of men cheating on wives, men beating their families, drunks, drunken driving, etc. I felt that i was being tortured with the day's 'fashion musts', like hair rollers that had bristles that poked into the scalp, girdles, shoes that were too narrow. One town that we lived was so intolerant of 'mixed marriages' (i.e. Catholic marrying Protestant) that such an action would cause the couple to be completely shut out of their families.

No, it was not the best of times, but probably not the worst of times, either. I think about those countries that have been at war for decades or even centuries, and see how naïve that most americans are.

Comment

You also built up your immune system being around the outside germs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nannymouse View Post
                                ... ... No, it was not the best of times, but probably not the worst of times, either. I think about those countries that have been at war for decades or even centuries, and see how naïve that most americans are.
                                Thank you SO much for that whole post, I was just talking with a lady named Vivian where I work and she related pretty much the exact same things but especially regarding your last paragraphs. Fascinated.

Comment

Working...
                                X