What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What does this abbreviation mean?

Cuddles

Found it in an email newsletter just now : LGBTQIA+
now I know what LGBT stands for but what about QIA+ ?

Cvh

Supermod
https://outrightinternational.org/co...nyms-explained
LGBTQIA – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual and/or Ally
LGBTIQA+/LGBTQ+ – Adding a “+” to the acronym is an acknowledgement that there are non-cisgender and non-straight identities which are not included in the acronym. This is a shorthand or umbrella term for all people who have non-normative gender identity or sexual orientation.
LGBTIQAPD – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual and/or Ally, Pansexual, and Demi-sexual
Pansexual – Often referred to as “Pan”, this is a term used to describe a person who is sexually, romantically, and/or emotionally attracted to people regardless of their sex or gender identity.
Demisexual – Often referred to as “Demi”, this is a term used to describe someone who can only experience sexual attraction after an emotional bond has been formed. This bond does not have to be romantic in nature.
Non-binary & Genderqueer – These terms are actively debated within the LGBTIQ+ community. Both terms are similar in scope. Non-binary refers to people whose gender identity falls outside of the gender binary (i.e. either male/man or female/woman) and was coined as a descriptive term, used to describe experiences that fall outside of the binary gender model which undergirds much of society. Genderqueer refers to people who have a non-normative or queer gender. Genderqueer is often used to refer to people who reject labels and conformity to specific gender norms. Non-binary tends to be more of an umbrella term, which encompasses genderqueer people, along with other non-binary genders.
Gender non-conforming – this term is used to refer to someone who does not conform to prevailing cultural and social expectations about what is appropriate gender expression for their perceived gender.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You’ve heard of LGBTQ and know that it stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning or Queer. But recently, you've seen a few more letters added to the acronym and you’re not sure what they mean.

What exactly does LGBTQIA+ stand for?

The I stands for intersex. Per GLAAD, intersex is “an umbrella term describing people born with reproductive or sexual anatomy and/or a chromosome pattern that can't be classified as typically male or female.” And the A is used to represent those who identify as asexual, those who are agender, and those who identify as allies of the LGBT community.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-does-lgbtqiaplus-stand-for/ar-BB15UUZb

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
LGBTQIA – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual and/or Ally
LGBTIQA+/LGBTQ+ – Adding a “+” to the acronym is an acknowledgement that there are non-cisgender and non-straight identities which are not included in the acronym. This is a shorthand or umbrella term for all people who

Beat me too it :(

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Yeah dev no sandtraps out there:). Honestly i have my problems with first thing knowing of an other person is how the person preferes to be screwed. I think this is also a reaction of a puritan enviroment.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have no issues with the alphabet soup. TBS, there is only 2 genders... boys & girls and male/female. How one derives sexual pleasure IMHO is nobody's business!

On another note, gays do not pick on heterosexuals, they are simply not interested. TBS, their spider senses are acute and they can detect possible future candidates, and you don't have to be openly gay or display gay tendencies do have their radars ringing. Perhaps they are homophobic for a reason.

Cuddles

I agree, if someone is gay, who really cares? the people who attack people for being gay - why are they so fascinated by them in the first place? Don´t they have a life of their own? not getting any?
Luckily things have changed a bit these past 20+ years. It´s more socially accepted now.