What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone 'cured' prostate cancer with....

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Racing heart rate came back tonight; w/o any fever. Sweated pretty good again, as well. There was stiff tension in the tissue between left pectoralis & left arm-pit.

Big day tomorrow, with catheter & drain tube coming out.

Things right now seem serious, but not knowing what the real cause is creates an additional hurdle.

Made sure to let my younger son know how much I love him, and to sincerely emphasize that he truly is my hero; mighty proud of that young man.

We'll see what tomorrow brings, if anything, other than another PNW sunrise.

Is it possible this is some of my karma coming back? Yep. Probably so. Could well be. Or just another lesson in accepting, however reluctantly, that there's many things in life that are out of our control, no matter how much we might wish it were otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valdy

'Simple Life'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYVvYYRBC7s

G

Thanks, folks.

I haven't been this depressed in (????).

EKG final results were posted last night from the ER visit, 2 nights after hosp. discharge; captured heart rate of 101 (two successive EKG's). At least something's steady. My normal, coming down for this, as well as in the hospital, was about 64 bpm to 71 bpm. The term they used in the EKG report was 'Sinus Tachycardia'; a phenomenon I'd not experienced since the suspected potassium deficiency that resulted during the depressed starvation diet, later Fall/early Winter of 2020.

Catch-22; the clinic now has to be contacted to confirm I'm allowed to come in for my post-op appt., as I've been in & out of a fever, during COVID-19, while multiple sources have stated that low-grade fever (or so), and variable elevated heart rate are potential products of surgery. A fucking gerbil exercise wheel of potential conundrums...

I guess I'm just along for the ride at this point.

Glucose is mildly elevated this AM, but not too bad; some aspects of the body & functions seem more irritated than others. Reason? Who knows? Above my pay-grade, I guess.

Muscle mass in parts of my body are down to what I estimate are 35% to 45% of previous. Read that cancer can create a release of a specific molecule that eventually has muscle and other tissue converted to sources of energy to feed tumors. Don't know that's the case, but I admittedly don't know a lot, anymore.

On-call (telephone-based) triage nurse stated protocol for direction of tx last night was to go back in to ER. I told the very kind woman that the last time I did that, 2 nights after discharge, it produced a whopper bill, and, other than validating my reported status, resulted in 2 residents assuming it was a panic/anxiety attack. It's NOT!! I'd have to care more than I do at this point for that to be the case. I'm calm, other than for heart-rate, and am mostly speaking/acting calmly.

I've grown tired of this. I was more functional, with better, more reliable stats WITH the cancer, if not for fear of metastases. I've basically surrendered now to this whole thing ending however it ends.

Times of anger still occur, though, re. the contributing factors that have influenced the recovery. 'Nuff said.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done for now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS84ZG2s4a8

Cuddles

NO SHIT!! No, I'm currently bored, and decided to scam you in order to get a non-controlled substance, so I can later market the motherfuckers on the street, when on-line price for 30 of the buggers is all of $4 !!!!!!! <sarcasm, extreme>
lol, I had a similar conversation on the phone with the GPs assitant a short while ago. I asked if they could write down the double amount of my sleep meds so I don´t have to go in for my prescription so often. And she said that the insurance won´t allow it because I could be `dealing´ the stuff.
Ironically there are some prescription things I could easily sell (if I had a buyer) because I actually have a surplus !

Moose eater, about the blood loss - make sure you do drink lots of water and take some iron. It may make you feel better.

kinda odd that they discharged you so quickly, or is that because there´s a shortage of beds? Sorry to hear you´re feeling sick and stuff. It´ll get better soo, I´m sure.

G

lol, I had a similar conversation on the phone with the GPs assitant a short while ago. I asked if they could write down the double amount of my sleep meds so I don´t have to go in for my prescription so often. And she said that the insurance won´t allow it because I could be `dealing´ the stuff.
Ironically there are some prescription things I could easily sell (if I had a buyer) because I actually have a surplus !

Moose eater, about the blood loss - make sure you do drink lots of water and take some iron. It may make you feel better.

kinda odd that they discharged you so quickly, or is that because there´s a shortage of beds? Sorry to hear you´re feeling sick and stuff. It´ll get better soo, I´m sure.

Thanks Cuddles.

The plant-based protein shakes I'm drinking contain 9 mg of iron each; yesterday, trying to hit potassium hard again (288 mg potassium each, & I did 4 of them over the course of yesterday), reflecting back on the more acute heart rates last late-Fall.

Had to cease my 50 mg iron supplements last year, as after I'd eat 1, I'd be nauseous within 10-20 minutes. The night-time zinc supp. has similar effect on the gut, but no where near as severe.Much of medical care is now 'run' by bean counters at the insurance co's, and their non-provider bean-counter cohorts at the clinics & hospitals.

I'm going to attempt to put on my most polite, non-threatening tone today, and, strategically, AFTER the catheter and wound drain tube, point out a half-dozen issues that might'v improved this whole affair, as well as saving their after-hours triage nursing staff a bit of time/$$; like, for STARTERS, why, in all of the related post-op literature, they don't have something in those pages assuring their (victims) that drips of urine that bypass the catheter tube, in some circumstances, can turn to a stream, rather than the more common drips? Or, why is there nothing stated about air bypassing the catheter, and escaping genitals, like a person is 'farting' from the wrong orifice?

Just THOSE 2 additions COULD have saved several phone calls to the nurse line. Not to mention, avoiding those unnerving moments of, "WTF is THIS about??"

It's not like these folks started doing this shit yesterday, and we (and they) now/already know/knew this stuff occurs!!!

Medicine is now ALL about the $!

When I was a youngster 50+ years ago, we knew our Docs by their first names, and they knew ours, and we often had good personal/professional relationships with them.

I liked THAT model of medical care a LOT better.

Thank you for your kindness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Mayer

'Gravity'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo4746XZgw8

Cuddles

Thanks Cuddles.

The plant-based protein shakes I'm drinking contain 9 mg of iron each; yesterday, trying to hit potassium hard again (288 mg potassium each, & I did 4 of them over the course of yesterday), reflecting back on the more acute heart rates last late-Fall.

Had to cease my 50 mg iron supplements last year, as after I'd eat 1, I'd be nauseous within 10-20 minutes. The night-time zinc supp. has similar effect on the gut, but no where near as severe.Much of medical care is now 'run' by bean counters at the insurance co's, and their non-provider bean-counter cohorts at the clinics & hospitals.

I'm going to attempt to put on my most polite, non-threatening tone today, and, strategically, AFTER the catheter and wound drain tube, point out a half-dozen issues that might'v improved this whole affair, as well as saving their after-hours triage nursing staff a bit of time/$$; like, for STARTERS, why, in all of the related post-op literature, they don't have something in those pages assuring their (victims) that drips of urine that bypass the catheter tube, in some circumstances, can turn to a stream, rather than the more common drips? Or, why is there nothing stated about air bypassing the catheter, and escaping genitals, like a person is 'farting' from the wrong orifice?

Just THOSE 2 additions COULD have saved several phone calls to the nurse line. Not to mention, avoiding those unnerving moments of, "WTF is THIS about??"

It's not like these folks started doing this shit yesterday, and we (and they) now/already know/knew this stuff occurs!!!

Medicine is now ALL about the $!

When I was a youngster 50+ years ago, we knew our Docs by their first names, and they knew ours, and we often had good personal/professional relationships with them.

I liked THAT model of medical care a LOT better.

Thank you for your kindness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Mayer

'Gravity'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo4746XZgw8

have you tried different iron supps or just the one, and make sure you always take iron after food and with vit E. this little trick helped me a lot. I recommend 100 mg in your current condition.
btw, are you allowed canna oil whilst you´re over there?

G

have you tried different iron supps or just the one, and make sure you always take iron after food and with vit E. this little trick helped me a lot. I recommend 100 mg in your current condition.
btw, are you allowed canna oil whilst you´re over there?

Thank you.

I had been told the iron supplement I was using is one of the better ones re. less stomach upset, but I don't know that for certain; just a word from a friend.

I've run low on my own thc extract, and have been purchasing cbd from a source in Portland; Doc's folks here let me continue with both through the day before surgery, but ceased the day -of- surgery, and at one point had said I could resume all my supplements after surgery, then asked me to abstain from ALL supplements for 1 week after surgery.

My fear at this point, not for CBD or THc/THC-A, but for other more gruff items already mentioned, is that if I were to vomit at this point, I might injure the areas of th recent surgery.

I've got decarbed flowers in the freezer at home right now, and will be doing a batch each of thc & thc-a very shortly after our return.

I'll maybe try cutting my iron tabs in half, and taking them with my vitamin E when I return, and am past the point where nausea poses a risk.

Thank you for your help & kindness.

Take care.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink Floyd

'Dark Side of the Moon' Pulse, remastered, whole Lp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlFp6QOZRU&t=1843s

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Our friend is having a rotten 420. But there's good news.
The cath yank is a turning point.
Just leave the horses in the trailer. it's all downhill from here.
By which I mean "get's mo' betta."
Urine control? You're in control.
And the dickfarts? Hmmm, Had nothing like that and no leak around either.
I'm thinking it may be lefovers from the inflation for the robo-surgery.

Mine was an incision. Through the lower belly.
I wanted the surgeon to have the best view, and tactile feedback.
Fricken robot has no clue how much damage it's doing without tactile feedback, yah?

Spent the next night in a hotel then got a flight home the next morning.
Your night sweats and low grade fever is concerning. Had none of that.
Also thinking that diabetes is a factor here.

Did not need Oxy.
Had cannabis for the pain and no one claiming that would be a problem.
It was not. Probably because they were unaware of it.
Wish I'd had some oil, but inhalation titration sufficed.

Be extra sweet to the wife. This is hard for her too.
It's very easy to snap at people you love when you feel this poorly.
At the very least remind her why you are so prickly and apologize in front, yah?
It's not how long you've been together.
It's how much crap you've been through together that really bonds a couple.

Aloha, my friend, it gets better from here.
Weeze

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
It's how much crap you've been through together that really bonds a couple.

Very nice words, Weezard. This part rings especially true.

One day at a time, moose. While my surgery was quite different than yours, my goal was to walk around the block again. Just 1 1/4 kilometre. The last time I walked around it was at the end of January, before my legs closed down.

Three days ago, on Day 10 of recovery, I made it around again. Slowly, painfully, pitifully, with a cane and my dog. Yesterday, I did it again. Not quite as slowly. And today, I was quicker again with far less pain.

One day at a time.

G

Not sure whether or not I'll be abusing Gypsy's bandwidth at the same pace for a while. I'll be taking time to digest a fair bit of mixed info., and taking what ever time to pick some courses.

The golden highlights for the day include not having 2 diff tubes protruding from me, and having to try and sleep in positions I don't sleep in.

The Doc says I have clear margins at this time, and that of the 27 lymph nodes taken, only one had a confirmed tumor present.

Turning the corner a bit;

Because the cancer had escaped to a lymph node, with the rankings/ratings I have, the type of cancer I have, etc., there's an 85% chance it's coming back..

Depending on what the PSA #'s are as we go forth, I'll likely be advised to begin hormone suppression drugs when/if the PSA rises over a value of 'X'.

The hormone therapy, from my research this last winter, has a likelihood of raising my glucose #'s, bringing into question the effectiveness of my continuing to manage A1C with the diet and methods I've used to do so.

If the PSA continues to rise, and the cancer returns and spreads, then I can opt for external beam radiation. There's other options at this time, but less likely.

Many aspects of this require proper thought. I'm postponing calling my younger son until I have let some of the 'Cosmic debris' settle down a bit. I hope to phone him this afternoon, after his home based on-line school is done.

I have a 1.5:10 chance of this not recurring and spreading; my luck lately has been less than I'd like, but who knows? Maybe in the homeostasis of the Cosmos, it was a down-payment of sorts re. bigger issues having better outcomes.

I'd hoped to be able to return to many things sooner, and may, depending, but it's clear that if I'm to gather my internal reinforcements & strength, then I need to maintain the anti-cancer diet, sulforaphane, continue abstaining from beer, etc., and doing thc & thc-a extracts at what ever level we find effective, if any.

I have been ready, have surrendered numerous times, and still, when the formal word from a renowned cancer Doc comes down, the hypothetical becomes less ethereal, more real, and causes a pause.

The Doc couldn't/wouldn't speculate as to whether I worsened the condition by waiting a total of almost 6 mos. when I was attempting to choose which method of loss of quality of life was 'best.'

Sometimes there's a path out, and sometimes there's not, and we have to wait until the lights go on to see if there is or not.

I hope this doesn't end on the side of the trail I fear it might, and need to get past the initial point of the 'first viewing.'

I am sad, and by being ill, have let my wife and younger son down in some ways. Some foot-loose travel sounds attractive, but I'll have to see how practical or wise that is. Time for my trip to Mecca (of sorts) maybe, but we'll see.

I wish to give a huge thank you to those who stayed on this ride so far, offered hope, insight, friendship, supplies, and more. For a social hermit, cynical & burned out on my own species and a lot else, there were many times I privately wept at the care offered here. Finding ways to honor one's self & others, to simply say, Thank you' and not feel awkward about the gifts received.

Thank you

I think I've reached that place to find a proper moment in the bush, and get out that acid and/or mushrooms. Ask the Cosmos for a sneak preview if one can be had, and go from there.

Take care. Those of you whom I've struggled with, those I love, feel, and/or care for, in what ever ways..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink Floyd

'The Division Bell' (live cuts, remastered)

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Ua5O5JmiU

troutman

Seed Whore
:comfort:

It's not your fault you're ill. Do the best you can is all anyone can do. You haven't let anyone down.

Cheers

clearheaded

vitamin c is what helps absorb iron also booze with food...got 10X legal limit of iron comes out in my nails.. good luck moose! stay strong. it is unfortunate u cant listen to docs anymore and really need to be proactive for proper care...

glutothione omegas magnesium and dont drink tap water ie a good filter is fine.. some of those organic meal replacement veggies plus may be helpful. def cost more but in reality for an organic meal its reasonable.

mind controls hormones, hormones control body.. watch comedies and be outside move around as much as u can!

nothing u prob dont know already. stay up!

buzzmobile

Veteran
Are you able to walk?

Take as many steps as you can.

Magical thought for the day: Choose the 15% option.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Thank You moose eater!
you have been inspirational, and through the worst of times (yours not ours) have been elaborate and eloquent in your descriptions and explanations.
i believe you've faced this tragedy quite bravely despite your wavering on it's worth.
we're here pulling for you to beat this too...wouldn't want to think that was wasted effort.
you've been through the worst, but recovery takes time and dedication...and sometimes strong medications.
the strength you've shown thus far is extraordinary and exemplary and my hat is off to you. i'll raise a glass/smoke a doob in salute.
bless you and your family for sharing your personal story under such harsh circumstances.
Thank You again. be well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yzOpjQsXvk
Cowboy Junkies "Powderfinger" (Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cover)

G

I can't reply individually in the way I would like. I'm warmed by the outpouring of support.

Last night was rough. About 1:30 AM my wife had been called to help me, and upon her second entry in the restroom, she found me non-responsive.

She went to get her phone to call 911, and when she returned, I'd uprighted myself (ringing and buzzing in ear, and slow speech). She's inclined to believe it was a seizure, but I can only attest to the parts I was 'there' for, which wasn't the whole thing.

Trying to choose the 15% option buzz, but wrestling lots of gators at the moment. I can walk, and I'm no longer tethered to the cath or the drain, but when I go ambulatory, typically after 'X' time up, I get a bit light-headed, and the fever comes back around for another pass.

Weez, the leakage is typical, though lesser so, the streams around the catheter. Found an article and anecdotes re. the 'dick farting'. Healthline asserts it's a likely product of the insertion of the cath, but I think the volume of air they put into my abdominal cavity played a role, too.

While 'night sweats' are sometimes associated with meds that affect the liver/pancreas, these were not 'night sweats', but closer to a 'night bath'; soaking the sheets multiple times over... including last night. Soaked. They'd said I'd be maybe using a pad per day, but since yesterday's appt., I've used at least 2 pads, and 2-3 Depends undergarments. All somewhat heavy.

We abstained from calling the EMTs last night; would've likely been another pointless use of resources; last time they tried to claim at the ER that the tachycardia was an anxiety attack; it was not.

My Doc is so focused on his specialty, that it seems the primary course they see is to collect the $$ for their services and get me on a plane back to Alaska. Had last night's episode occurred in the air, the flight would've likely been turned around.... and resulted in another mostly pointless trip to the ER, while pissing off ~180 other passengers.

Trout, You're one of the caring crowd here. I thank you for your words. I don't always feel worthy of the love I receive. Like many, I've been a sinner and a saint, sometimes in the same day. My family may not get the mileage from me I had hoped to deliver, but then, years ago, I'd anticipated meeting my demise by age 42; didn't happen, but at the moment it feels like it might be closer than we think.. Pay day for my wife and son, maybe. Admittedly, I'd prefer going out in a blaze of glory (ego shit) rather than feeling like a piece of lukewarm dog excrement. In the end, we often 'get what we get', sometimes with surprisingly little control over it.

My wife sent a fairly concise, but relatively thorough, 3-part summary to my care team, followed up by a phone message marked 'urgent' through the hospital operator's system; waiting on a reply.

Yesterday, in follow-up re. the request for the ant-nausea pills (Zofran 4 mg; which I had to eat 1 of my remaining 5 during the crisis, as vomiting would potentially undo all kinds of internal shit), someone who failed to ID themselves in reply, stated they couldn't figure out why I was still experiencing nausea, other than perhaps opiate use; a subtle accusation of me maybe creating this w/ pills; I have not, staying to ONE 5 mg oxy per night, as constipation could be almost as dangerous to my 'healing' as puking. Never really been into opiates or downers; lots on the other end of the spectrum however, if they made things prettier or go more quickly, but that was years ago, as well. The implicit insults of a medical profession that is prone to generalizing their patients integrity/honesty; fuck 'em.

I don't recall seeing my wife in that sort of distress before, and didn't want to be the cause of her upset & panic.

My 'junk' is a bit in pain this AM, and there were lots of other symptoms, but I need to cease typing now.

Things are not well, and if I exit the planet as a result of the current symptoms, despite that bringing some abrupt changes to my family that remains, in other ways it's a win:win.

Take care. Thank you for the kindness, and I'll try to post more later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen Allen Davis

'Jesus in the Back of a Cadillac'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpNEaL9G8fk

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Don't you be worrying about the bandwidth moose - have as much as you like - for someone with such humanity and integrity - someone who has so much to share - someone that really does care - and we all care about - you will always be welcome here -

- oh - and get well soon -

G

Thank You moose eater!
you have been inspirational, and through the worst of times (yours not ours) have been elaborate and eloquent in your descriptions and explanations.
i believe you've faced this tragedy quite bravely despite your wavering on it's worth.
we're here pulling for you to beat this too...wouldn't want to think that was wasted effort.
you've been through the worst, but recovery takes time and dedication...and sometimes strong medications.
the strength you've shown thus far is extraordinary and exemplary and my hat is off to you. i'll raise a glass/smoke a doob in salute.
bless you and your family for sharing your personal story under such harsh circumstances.
Thank You again. be well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yzOpjQsXvk
Cowboy Junkies "Powderfinger" (Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cover)

Thank you, trich. That was humbling.

I've heard John Mayer thank folks a number of times at the end of shows, "Thank you for accepting us." Each time I heard him graciously thank people with that specific phrase, it said something about him and his 'fit' in this world. But it also said something about us, our culture, our treatment of each other, etc. I cry and grin when I hear him say that now.

Acceptance; a place to be safe in what ever way.

We watched 'Deep Water Horizon' today, and reflected on how many of us process serious uncertainty; initially resenting the dilemma, then contemplating options, then, as Hunter Thompson said, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

The time spent blinking, contemplating, etc, has become less and less over time. Like the near-end of the movie, when Kurt Russell grabs his co-worker, and tosses her off the burning rig to save her life; time for action, or simply accept the end has arrived.

It's been months of accepting early, preliminary pathology & imaging reports, knowing these were not definitive. They were not all that hopeful, but they were better than what landed yesterday; a day that will always be associated with 'the news.'

But as buzz sorta' said, there's 15% of the pool who won those odds, and 85% who didn't. Like with the early labs/imaging, we don't get to know which camp we're in until we get there.

For now, if I'm to better avoid the uglier outcomes down the road with this, I can't afford to let the optimistic or resentful unknowns be used in my self-talk, as a means of compromising what I otherwise know I need to do now, if I'm to avoid painful ugliness.

I rolled the dice, may have forfeited some functions I didn't want to gamble with, and, for now, came up with the Cosmos wanting, maybe, some sort of greater payment.

From here on out, I'll have to dedicate myself to veganism, abstaining from any alcohol but maybe the occasional half-glass of red wine, working out, etc.

I've lost close to 60% of muscle mass in my once stout shoulders, biceps, and more; I'm going to need to rebuild that in order to finish my wife's sauna, the porch on the shed, clearing the nasty aspen/balsam poplar on the south end of the property, taking my youngest son on his first halibut outing, dip-netting salmon on the Copper River at Chitina with him (even if I can't eat them myself any more; my wife and son can), and more.

Time for me to be more serious than I have been in many ways.

I may still 'exit stage left' if/when this thing recurs, and especially if it metastasizes, but the towel's not going into the ring quite yet.

"Thank you for accepting us."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen Allen Davis

'The Innocence of Doubt'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA7StfzWeT0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts