This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tobedetermined View Post

The hospital where I had surgery didn’t let anybody in with a respirator style mask - nothing but a blue surgical mask was allowed. I wore mine all the way to the OR table. And when I came alive in Post-op, I had one on, but they had added a spacer so it wasn’t tight on my mouth & nose. We are in the middle of a lockdown again (the virulent 3rd wave) and the hospitals are stressed near maximum. They stopped all elective surgeries three days after mine.
    We wear a surgery mask over the P100s, to cover the exhaust port, to avoid the message of not being concerned for those around us. The airline we fly has banned any ported masks, covered or not, but we wear the 2 masks, along with face shields (mine being heavy duty, by Venom) over those. When they've occasionally announced 'No ported masks' over the PA system in the boarding area, -potentially- as a result of past communications with them, written and voice both, I simply volunteer NO info.

For the hospitals and elsewhere, our mask protocols haven't posed an issue at all.

In my past correspondence with the airline, it quickly became apparent that this was another classic case of refusal to discuss an illogical policy, simply because line workers, even in customer support, will NOT 'push the river' where a long-crafted policy is the focus.

Cynically speaking, my interpretation in such moments has been, "Look, we've spent a LOT of time and $ crafting a policy that hopes to cover our asses for liability & uniformity; we're not about to question the sensibility of that policy, so we can improve it for anyone."

I'd asked them, verbatim, many times, "How is a minimal surgery mask covering a 3" diameter wet mouth, safer than that same surgery mask covering a <1" diaphragmed port, with additional space inside for moist air being exhaled?" I got ZERO response, even when they had said multiple times that a higher-up from customer care would contact me to discuss this.

Bottom line? They don't really want an analysis of the effectiveness of a policy. They want compliance whether the policy makes sense or not, but they mostly want the $$$$$.

--------------------------------

Quick Silver Messenger Service, Live, Winterland, 12/28/1975

'Fresh Air'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNE0CKK71TI
    Last edited by moose eater; 04-19-2021, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Gry View Post

Recall having read a good butler is a wonderful asset to have in life.
      Should one be so fortunate.
      Wishing the best for you.
      Thanks, Gry. That brought a chuckle for several reasons.

Hope all's well with you this morning..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Queen, Live Aid, 1985, Full Concert

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjXetWK-Ur8

Comment

Originally posted by sdd420 View Post
        Hang in there, improvements are slow but steady you know
        Thanks, sdd.

My fever went up last night to at least 100.3, w/ my face ready for an abrupt outing.

When I woke up a couple different times, I'd sweated the sheets wet enough that we put towels down to go back to sleep on. But when I woke up this morning, my temp was normal, and I felt better than I have since surgery. Literally I felt like my normal self, but for a slight pinching pain at an incision site that had previously not complained much.

Primary concern this AM is the rather slow or no draining into the catheter, which, along with the wound drain, is supposed to come out tomorrow. And there's some mild nausea, that I fear for the potential damage to incision sites, if I wretch hard and tense all those related muscles.

Thanks for your kindness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guns 'n' Roses, American Music Awards, 1989

'Patience'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9Wj1TcdxE

Comment

Fever came back after nothing more than getting up to use the restroom, and typing 3 paragraphs while I did so. It was accompanied by that 'woozy' 'other-worldly' sense of being.

If I were to guess, I'd say I'm either having a fight between immune system, and post-op infection, or low blood supply.

I'll abstain from posting my opinion re. being discharged from the 1.5 days in the hospital with notably lower hemoglobin and hematocrit counts; the 'new' era of conveyor-belt medicine; rack 'em, pack 'em, and stack 'em, and move 'em on out for the next victim... err..... 'patient' with insurance and/or cash-flow.

Feeling a bit cynical and physically out-of-sorts at the moment.

Wrote through the portal last night, asking if I could get a minor refill of an anti-nausea drug (4 mg Zofran) they'd prescribed at discharge, and they (no name on the reply) wrote back asking if I was actually still having nausea.

NO SHIT!! No, I'm currently bored, and decided to scam you in order to get a non-controlled substance, so I can later market the motherfuckers on the street, when on-line price for 30 of the buggers is all of $4 !!!!!!! <sarcasm, extreme>.

So I politely wrote back and gave them a relatively concise review of the last day or so, after which I experienced..... fucking nausea.

If it escaped anyone's notice, I'll clarify, I'm a bit miffed at some of the ivory tower folks in our culture; as though there's a direct correlation between status, credentials, and a measurable decline in basic common fucking sense!! I'm probably NOT the guy they'd want to invite to dinner tonight....

"Come the revolution..... there'll be some changes!!!"

I'll write back to them shortly to inform the twice-removed folks of the most recent ride through dizziness and puke-ville; though I've managed to avoid actually puking thus far. But the thought of puking into multiple masks in an airport, or while in the air would be FAR less than an ideal circumstance.

Sometimes I wonder how some folks can be so brilliant, yet SO f'ing ignorant.

It's entirely possible, based on symptoms, that I have some degree of internal bleeding going on, or perforations of some sort. On the bright side, if it becomes catastrophic at some point, my wife & youngest son might be in for a BIG pay-day; the hospital's $$$, and my life policy.

<rant off>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buddy Guy & Tracy Chapman

'Ain't No Sunshine'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFzQ-vBXm0
          Last edited by moose eater; 04-19-2021, 23:40.

Comment

The Band You don’t know the shape I’m in
            https://youtu.be/00VkP7v-VaM
            Life is sudden be ready

dont count the days make the days count
            Legal medical patient

_________
            “Make the most you can of the Indian hemp seed and sow it everywhere.” – George Washington
            "Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see." - Thomas Jefferson
            "Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” – Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Racing heart rate came back tonight; w/o any fever. Sweated pretty good again, as well. There was stiff tension in the tissue between left pectoralis & left arm-pit.

Big day tomorrow, with catheter & drain tube coming out.

Things right now seem serious, but not knowing what the real cause is creates an additional hurdle.

Made sure to let my younger son know how much I love him, and to sincerely emphasize that he truly is my hero; mighty proud of that young man.

We'll see what tomorrow brings, if anything, other than another PNW sunrise.

Is it possible this is some of my karma coming back? Yep. Probably so. Could well be. Or just another lesson in accepting, however reluctantly, that there's many things in life that are out of our control, no matter how much we might wish it were otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valdy

'Simple Life'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYVvYYRBC7s

Comment

Thanks, folks.

I haven't been this depressed in (????).

EKG final results were posted last night from the ER visit, 2 nights after hosp. discharge; captured heart rate of 101 (two successive EKG's). At least something's steady. My normal, coming down for this, as well as in the hospital, was about 64 bpm to 71 bpm. The term they used in the EKG report was 'Sinus Tachycardia'; a phenomenon I'd not experienced since the suspected potassium deficiency that resulted during the depressed starvation diet, later Fall/early Winter of 2020.

Catch-22; the clinic now has to be contacted to confirm I'm allowed to come in for my post-op appt., as I've been in & out of a fever, during COVID-19, while multiple sources have stated that low-grade fever (or so), and variable elevated heart rate are potential products of surgery. A fucking gerbil exercise wheel of potential conundrums...

I guess I'm just along for the ride at this point.

Glucose is mildly elevated this AM, but not too bad; some aspects of the body & functions seem more irritated than others. Reason? Who knows? Above my pay-grade, I guess.

Muscle mass in parts of my body are down to what I estimate are 35% to 45% of previous. Read that cancer can create a release of a specific molecule that eventually has muscle and other tissue converted to sources of energy to feed tumors. Don't know that's the case, but I admittedly don't know a lot, anymore.

On-call (telephone-based) triage nurse stated protocol for direction of tx last night was to go back in to ER. I told the very kind woman that the last time I did that, 2 nights after discharge, it produced a whopper bill, and, other than validating my reported status, resulted in 2 residents assuming it was a panic/anxiety attack. It's NOT!! I'd have to care more than I do at this point for that to be the case. I'm calm, other than for heart-rate, and am mostly speaking/acting calmly.

I've grown tired of this. I was more functional, with better, more reliable stats WITH the cancer, if not for fear of metastases. I've basically surrendered now to this whole thing ending however it ends.

Times of anger still occur, though, re. the contributing factors that have influenced the recovery. 'Nuff said.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done for now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS84ZG2s4a8

Comment

NO SHIT!! No, I'm currently bored, and decided to scam you in order to get a non-controlled substance, so I can later market the motherfuckers on the street, when on-line price for 30 of the buggers is all of $4 !!!!!!! <sarcasm, extreme>
                  lol, I had a similar conversation on the phone with the GPs assitant a short while ago. I asked if they could write down the double amount of my sleep meds so I don´t have to go in for my prescription so often. And she said that the insurance won´t allow it because I could be `dealing´ the stuff.
                  Ironically there are some prescription things I could easily sell (if I had a buyer) because I actually have a surplus !

Moose eater, about the blood loss - make sure you do drink lots of water and take some iron. It may make you feel better.

kinda odd that they discharged you so quickly, or is that because there´s a shortage of beds? Sorry to hear you´re feeling sick and stuff. It´ll get better soo, I´m sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuddles View Post
                    lol, I had a similar conversation on the phone with the GPs assitant a short while ago. I asked if they could write down the double amount of my sleep meds so I don´t have to go in for my prescription so often. And she said that the insurance won´t allow it because I could be `dealing´ the stuff.
                    Ironically there are some prescription things I could easily sell (if I had a buyer) because I actually have a surplus !

Moose eater, about the blood loss - make sure you do drink lots of water and take some iron. It may make you feel better.

kinda odd that they discharged you so quickly, or is that because there´s a shortage of beds? Sorry to hear you´re feeling sick and stuff. It´ll get better soo, I´m sure.
                    Thanks Cuddles.

The plant-based protein shakes I'm drinking contain 9 mg of iron each; yesterday, trying to hit potassium hard again (288 mg potassium each, & I did 4 of them over the course of yesterday), reflecting back on the more acute heart rates last late-Fall.

Had to cease my 50 mg iron supplements last year, as after I'd eat 1, I'd be nauseous within 10-20 minutes. The night-time zinc supp. has similar effect on the gut, but no where near as severe.Much of medical care is now 'run' by bean counters at the insurance co's, and their non-provider bean-counter cohorts at the clinics & hospitals.

I'm going to attempt to put on my most polite, non-threatening tone today, and, strategically, AFTER the catheter and wound drain tube, point out a half-dozen issues that might'v improved this whole affair, as well as saving their after-hours triage nursing staff a bit of time/$$; like, for STARTERS, why, in all of the related post-op literature, they don't have something in those pages assuring their (victims) that drips of urine that bypass the catheter tube, in some circumstances, can turn to a stream, rather than the more common drips? Or, why is there nothing stated about air bypassing the catheter, and escaping genitals, like a person is 'farting' from the wrong orifice?

Just THOSE 2 additions COULD have saved several phone calls to the nurse line. Not to mention, avoiding those unnerving moments of, "WTF is THIS about??"

It's not like these folks started doing this shit yesterday, and we (and they) now/already know/knew this stuff occurs!!!

Medicine is now ALL about the $!

When I was a youngster 50+ years ago, we knew our Docs by their first names, and they knew ours, and we often had good personal/professional relationships with them.

I liked THAT model of medical care a LOT better.

Thank you for your kindness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Mayer

'Gravity'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo4746XZgw8

Comment

hoping everything comes out alright.
                      at least you're prepared if it doesn't, keep your head up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIW6EPlqABM
                      The Twelve Bar Bluesband - Life is Hard (when you play the blues)

"when i run outta weed, i smoke match sticks...
                      that first hit is FIRE!!!"

"I'm not always a dick...but when I am, I drink cheap beer".

Comment

Originally posted by moose eater View Post

Thanks Cuddles.

The plant-based protein shakes I'm drinking contain 9 mg of iron each; yesterday, trying to hit potassium hard again (288 mg potassium each, & I did 4 of them over the course of yesterday), reflecting back on the more acute heart rates last late-Fall.

Had to cease my 50 mg iron supplements last year, as after I'd eat 1, I'd be nauseous within 10-20 minutes. The night-time zinc supp. has similar effect on the gut, but no where near as severe.Much of medical care is now 'run' by bean counters at the insurance co's, and their non-provider bean-counter cohorts at the clinics & hospitals.

I'm going to attempt to put on my most polite, non-threatening tone today, and, strategically, AFTER the catheter and wound drain tube, point out a half-dozen issues that might'v improved this whole affair, as well as saving their after-hours triage nursing staff a bit of time/$$; like, for STARTERS, why, in all of the related post-op literature, they don't have something in those pages assuring their (victims) that drips of urine that bypass the catheter tube, in some circumstances, can turn to a stream, rather than the more common drips? Or, why is there nothing stated about air bypassing the catheter, and escaping genitals, like a person is 'farting' from the wrong orifice?

Just THOSE 2 additions COULD have saved several phone calls to the nurse line. Not to mention, avoiding those unnerving moments of, "WTF is THIS about??"

It's not like these folks started doing this shit yesterday, and we (and they) now/already know/knew this stuff occurs!!!

Medicine is now ALL about the $!

When I was a youngster 50+ years ago, we knew our Docs by their first names, and they knew ours, and we often had good personal/professional relationships with them.

I liked THAT model of medical care a LOT better.

Thank you for your kindness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Mayer

'Gravity'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo4746XZgw8
                        have you tried different iron supps or just the one, and make sure you always take iron after food and with vit E. this little trick helped me a lot. I recommend 100 mg in your current condition.
                        btw, are you allowed canna oil whilst you´re over there?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuddles View Post

have you tried different iron supps or just the one, and make sure you always take iron after food and with vit E. this little trick helped me a lot. I recommend 100 mg in your current condition.
                          btw, are you allowed canna oil whilst you´re over there?
                          Thank you.

I had been told the iron supplement I was using is one of the better ones re. less stomach upset, but I don't know that for certain; just a word from a friend.

I've run low on my own thc extract, and have been purchasing cbd from a source in Portland; Doc's folks here let me continue with both through the day before surgery, but ceased the day -of- surgery, and at one point had said I could resume all my supplements after surgery, then asked me to abstain from ALL supplements for 1 week after surgery.

My fear at this point, not for CBD or THc/THC-A, but for other more gruff items already mentioned, is that if I were to vomit at this point, I might injure the areas of th recent surgery.

I've got decarbed flowers in the freezer at home right now, and will be doing a batch each of thc & thc-a very shortly after our return.

I'll maybe try cutting my iron tabs in half, and taking them with my vitamin E when I return, and am past the point where nausea poses a risk.

Thank you for your help & kindness.

Take care.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink Floyd

'Dark Side of the Moon' Pulse, remastered, whole Lp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlFp6QOZRU&t=1843s

Comment

Our friend is having a rotten 420. But there's good news.
                            The cath yank is a turning point.
                            Just leave the horses in the trailer. it's all downhill from here.
                            By which I mean "get's mo' betta."
                            Urine control? You're in control.
                            And the dickfarts? Hmmm, Had nothing like that and no leak around either.
                            I'm thinking it may be lefovers from the inflation for the robo-surgery.

Mine was an incision. Through the lower belly.
                            I wanted the surgeon to have the best view, and tactile feedback.
                            Fricken robot has no clue how much damage it's doing without tactile feedback, yah?

Spent the next night in a hotel then got a flight home the next morning.
                            Your night sweats and low grade fever is concerning. Had none of that.
                            Also thinking that diabetes is a factor here.

Did not need Oxy.
                            Had cannabis for the pain and no one claiming that would be a problem.
                            It was not. Probably because they were unaware of it.
                            Wish I'd had some oil, but inhalation titration sufficed.

Be extra sweet to the wife. This is hard for her too.
                            It's very easy to snap at people you love when you feel this poorly.
                            At the very least remind her why you are so prickly and apologize in front, yah?
                            It's not how long you've been together.
                            It's how much crap you've been through together that really bonds a couple.

Aloha, my friend, it gets better from here.
                            Weeze

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                            - Mark Twain

"Plants do things for a reason, they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny." -Weedhound
                            R.I.P

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom. -Francis Bacon

A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation. -Moliere

You're behaving as if there is no hope. Someone musta told you you were hopeless and you believed them! That's it, isn't it? What you believe about yrself rests on a pile of someone else's shit! - Teddybrae

Comment

Originally posted by Weezard View Post
                              It's how much crap you've been through together that really bonds a couple.
                              Very nice words, Weezard. This part rings especially true.

One day at a time, moose. While my surgery was quite different than yours, my goal was to walk around the block again. Just 1 1/4 kilometre. The last time I walked around it was at the end of January, before my legs closed down.

Three days ago, on Day 10 of recovery, I made it around again. Slowly, painfully, pitifully, with a cane and my dog. Yesterday, I did it again. Not quite as slowly. And today, I was quicker again with far less pain.

One day at a time.

In the tent now: Is it Time for Show & Tell?
                              Arguing on the net is like yelling in space.

Comment

Not sure whether or not I'll be abusing Gypsy's bandwidth at the same pace for a while. I'll be taking time to digest a fair bit of mixed info., and taking what ever time to pick some courses.

The golden highlights for the day include not having 2 diff tubes protruding from me, and having to try and sleep in positions I don't sleep in.

The Doc says I have clear margins at this time, and that of the 27 lymph nodes taken, only one had a confirmed tumor present.

Turning the corner a bit;

Because the cancer had escaped to a lymph node, with the rankings/ratings I have, the type of cancer I have, etc., there's an 85% chance it's coming back..

Depending on what the PSA #'s are as we go forth, I'll likely be advised to begin hormone suppression drugs when/if the PSA rises over a value of 'X'.

The hormone therapy, from my research this last winter, has a likelihood of raising my glucose #'s, bringing into question the effectiveness of my continuing to manage A1C with the diet and methods I've used to do so.

If the PSA continues to rise, and the cancer returns and spreads, then I can opt for external beam radiation. There's other options at this time, but less likely.

Many aspects of this require proper thought. I'm postponing calling my younger son until I have let some of the 'Cosmic debris' settle down a bit. I hope to phone him this afternoon, after his home based on-line school is done.

I have a 1.5:10 chance of this not recurring and spreading; my luck lately has been less than I'd like, but who knows? Maybe in the homeostasis of the Cosmos, it was a down-payment of sorts re. bigger issues having better outcomes.

I'd hoped to be able to return to many things sooner, and may, depending, but it's clear that if I'm to gather my internal reinforcements & strength, then I need to maintain the anti-cancer diet, sulforaphane, continue abstaining from beer, etc., and doing thc & thc-a extracts at what ever level we find effective, if any.

I have been ready, have surrendered numerous times, and still, when the formal word from a renowned cancer Doc comes down, the hypothetical becomes less ethereal, more real, and causes a pause.

The Doc couldn't/wouldn't speculate as to whether I worsened the condition by waiting a total of almost 6 mos. when I was attempting to choose which method of loss of quality of life was 'best.'

Sometimes there's a path out, and sometimes there's not, and we have to wait until the lights go on to see if there is or not.

I hope this doesn't end on the side of the trail I fear it might, and need to get past the initial point of the 'first viewing.'

I am sad, and by being ill, have let my wife and younger son down in some ways. Some foot-loose travel sounds attractive, but I'll have to see how practical or wise that is. Time for my trip to Mecca (of sorts) maybe, but we'll see.

I wish to give a huge thank you to those who stayed on this ride so far, offered hope, insight, friendship, supplies, and more. For a social hermit, cynical & burned out on my own species and a lot else, there were many times I privately wept at the care offered here. Finding ways to honor one's self & others, to simply say, Thank you' and not feel awkward about the gifts received.

Thank you

I think I've reached that place to find a proper moment in the bush, and get out that acid and/or mushrooms. Ask the Cosmos for a sneak preview if one can be had, and go from there.

Take care. Those of you whom I've struggled with, those I love, feel, and/or care for, in what ever ways..
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink Floyd

'The Division Bell' (live cuts, remastered)

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Ua5O5JmiU

Comment

Working...
                                X