X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BudToaster View Post
    new study just released:

Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and grade group progression in localized prostate cancer: An active surveillance cohort
    from The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center

https://acsjournals.onlinelibrary.wi...002/cncr.33182
    Hey BT,

I went back and read your link; to some degree, though less rigid, they're giving support to Dr. Fuhrmann's whole plant-based diet.

In the one case, (this link):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5573712/

They mention the limits of red meat, versus white meat, and fish. Red meat they say can increase risks of PC if well done. (made me feel better for having eaten rare steaks most of my life, though with wild game we tend to cook red meat more toward medium rare or medium).

Shrimp are common in the Med Diet, and some battle with cholesterol; I've improved mine pretty well for most counts, but also have gall stones that thrive on weight loss.... and cholesterol.

But overall, I think what's being said in the two different links (an abstract and an overly technical NIH link above) is that red meat is not good for PC.

The 40% vegetable base in the diet is not too far off of Dr. Fuhrmann's whole plant-based diet criteria, either.

Also, I believe dried, cured, smoked, etc., sausages, apparently are more cancer-causing. We knew that more or less, right? Still disappointing.

But whereas the whole plant-based diet says "NO MEAT OR DAIRY PROTEINS!!!" the MD is more like harm reduction; "don't overdo it, but enjoy yourself."

Thanks. I still would feel quite guilty at this point, eating more than a single bite of the smoked turkey leg in the fridge, but I can take one nibble if it strikes me.

At this time, seeing the progress in numbers I did, limited and anecdotal as they may have been, I'm going to try to stay in my plant-based lane.

By the way, they said that if we're to eat fish on a limited basis, it ought to be oily fish. I'd have to go back and see if they specified white colored oily fish, but if not, I have a stash of Copper River red salmon in the freezer now that needs to either be smoked, baked, grilled, or ???

Comment

Meant to add that they report a key component to the efficacy of the Mediterranean diet where these maladies are concerned, is a component of tomatoes (licopene? spelling?), when cooked, keeping it to low heat in order to avoid converting the olive oil toward something less healthy, and if done at low heart correctly, the tomato sauce is key to their diet as an anti-carcinogen.

-----------------------------------------

Mark Knopfler

'Brothers in Arms'

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=EM...MVMefFo-Clq844

Comment

When you're tapped, tried, and crispied, you'll still need to (as written before) categorize, organize, and catalogue ALL of the incredible flow of bills from such endeavors.

The fact that your energy is such, will only make it easier to make serious financial errors, such as paying incompetent book keepers for services already paid for.

Today we received a bill from the local radiologists group for nearly $900. Trouble is, we have the electronic transfer numbers from the insurance payment to these folks, and the insurance folks had already paid them well over $500, and my contractual obligation for in-network from this otherwise already compensated bill is a measly $230... NOT almost $900!!

Clinics and hospitals are hurting since COVID began, sometimes new book-keepers, etc., and if you sent these people money in a situation that amounts to double-billing, some (way far from all, but some) WILL SURE AS THE GRASS IS GREEN, pocket that, right up until the insurance company or the patient catches it, which is unlikely, because they've already done their gig on the original billing.

Catalogue your bills, insurance statements, and stubs showing date, method of payment, if possible, who -specifically- took the payment, every detail imaginable, written on your stubs, and it may or can save you a lot of headaches.

It's likely this was merely a mistake. I hope so. But I'll be calling them Tuesday (Monday's a holiday) and ask them what they might be able to tell me about persons in serious struggles, battling multiple comorbidities, and what might they tell me about such persons' levels of energy for sorting out such unnecessary nonsense? I mean, the patient sure as hell isn't being paid to do the book-keeper's job for them, but the incompetent bastages sending the bills ARE being paid to do their jobs properly, and the patients, all too often, have to do the paid accountants jobs for free.

"Come the revolution...."

Heightened stress has not always caused me to be more like Gandhi, or even Mr. Rogers, as often as such lessons in humility might've..

I'll be informing them (since this is NOT the first time some of these folks have screwed up my often sizable bills) that if I have to do their jobs for them, I insist they compensate me with a percentage of their salary. At least buy me lunch in separate locations, or provide sexual favors or something? But before that call, I'll be bringing this to the attention of their bread-basket; my insurance provider. A whole 'nother pit of grinning vipers. Have the snakes battle each other, while I eat artichokes or something.
        --------------------------------------------
        Earliest the best surgeon I've found can get me in is mid-March. On the bright side, my younger son's and my trip to the mountains in March is slated for March 8 thru 12, so we could beat feet home, get a day or 2 of rest, pack my stuff, and go to get sliced and diced, prepped for (hopefully) about 3 months of diapers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Welcome to the Jungle'

https://www.bing.com/search?q=guns+a...ANAB01&PC=DCTS
        Last edited by moose eater; 01-16-2021, 05:45.

Comment

Originally posted by moose eater View Post
          Meant to add that they report a key component to the efficacy of the Mediterranean diet where these maladies are concerned, is a component of tomatoes (licopene? spelling?), when cooked, keeping it to low heat in order to avoid converting the olive oil toward something less healthy, and if done at low heart correctly, the tomato sauce is key to their diet as an anti-carcinogen.

-----------------------------------------

Mark Knopfler

'Brothers in Arms'

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=EM...MVMefFo-Clq844
          Man...what a version of that tune. Amazing.
          dig for fire

Comment

Originally posted by dramamine View Post
            Man...what a version of that tune. Amazing.
            A special tune with memories from long ago. Yes, one of the better versions. One of the most soulful Brits I know of.

Comment

Dug Up a Diamond

Emmylou and Mark Knopfler from All the Roadrunnin'
              “The sun will eclipse soon unless you sacrifice the prince consort to the goddess of the moon.”
              Hans Bornefeld

Comment

that was a fast trip.
                sounds like you have made the best choice and course of action.

losing the gall bladder is no big deal, body adjusts well after. you just don't want the inflammation because it IS painful to let it fester. best of luck with that diet...it came on me so fast and harsh no diet could or would have ameliorated effects/damage. it wasn't day surgery but in a week you'll be the new normal....

K+ to the member who shepherded your goodies, Karma returns favors.

are you not of age for medicare? with a 17yr old son, i'm guessing not, but that's a guess.

anyway, welcome back!

Comment

Originally posted by trichrider View Post
                  that was a fast trip.
                  sounds like you have made the best choice and course of action.

losing the gall bladder is no big deal, body adjusts well after. you just don't want the inflammation because it IS painful to let it fester. best of luck with that diet...it came on me so fast and harsh no diet could or would have ameliorated effects/damage. it wasn't day surgery but in a week you'll be the new normal....

K+ to the member who shepherded your goodies, Karma returns favors.

are you not of age for medicare? with a 17yr old son, i'm guessing not, but that's a guess.

anyway, welcome back!
                  Thanks trich.

Yes, the forum member who came through is a very kind and generous person, with their own past and present troubles. They were very appreciated.

Irony? Our 17 y.o. was our unintended straggler, and I was in another place of contemplating departure from terra firma when that news came.

I had grown up initially not knowing the truth of my father's death, but clung on, before and after I was told the truth, to the vanishing hope that he wasn't dead, and would do magical kid-thinking things like checking phone books for him when we'd move. I was not going to do that to my younger boy, if I could help it.

My wife had terminated a pregnancy one time before I met her, and she stated that though she adamantly believes in the right to choose,she can never personally opt to terminate a pregnancy again.

So I committed to not go permanently astral-plaining, so he wouldn't grow up with the hundred questions that such circumstances bring. Are they still alive some place out there, really? Was I not good enough to cause them to hang around? And many, many more.

His next oldest sibling is 8 years older, and the next one, 10.

With the heartache and contentions involving the 1st 2, (some of which involved circumstances cultivated by another less thoughtful adult in the earlier years of rearing, and each of us exacerbating the outcomes with our own deficiencies), despite the glaring bias in the statement, my younger son proves the old adage re. "Third time's a charm." Or so I state cynically and (only half-playfully) some times.

The gall bladder would simply make digesting of fats, meats, etc., easier on the body, and the THC/CBD extract thing, to some degree, might be affected by such a move, due to added fats for absorption.

Unsure of the Rx med for this (Actigall). I don't have routine pain, but rapid weight loss and cholesterol are apparently key ingredients to the building of these stones at a faster pace, and I'm checked green on both of those counts. Normally, there are times that pressure creates discomfort or pain there, but it's lower than on the right than many of the descriptions say the sensation ought to be, so I'll defer to the numerous ultrasounds that say they're in where they say they are.

Again, Actigall can reportedly take 6 mos. to a year, sometimes more, to dissolve gall stones.

I'll have Medicare in a few years, and need to make arrangements to afford the monthly augmentation insurance when I get there (about $250-$300/mos currently) to cover the 20% that Medicare doesn't cover.

Even as you're crawling out the door on your hands and knees, the fuckers are intent on going through your pockets and wallet.

Dealing with another respected member where trying to undo the panic of high-thc, adolescent children, and all the rest is concerned. They had recommended citicolene to address that part of the contributing or suspect variables.

When I researched citicolene, seems WebMD believes it can have side-effects for those with depressive disorders and type II diabetes. I apparently have 2 strikes on me, and I haven't yet swung the bat. Killer pitcher.

So I'm quarantining at hoe until I get results form my first test since home, and then need to re-test for C-19 within 5 to 14 days of the re-entry.

Hopefully extracting CBD and more THC flowers on Monday, MLK Jr. Day, as NOAA says we're to be between +23 and +33 f. on that day.

Last night I ate one of the caps the member provided for me (70mg CBD, 50mg THCA, and 20mg THC) and added to it, about 1 gram of 220mg CBD decarbed flowers, and maybe a 1/2gram of my own decarbed THC flowers, felt the tightness in my chest ever so slightly coming up, and had already taken a 25 mg hydroxyzine (under-powered and unreliable fucks that they are.

Most GUARANTEED anxiety moments of tingling electric stress are on waking after X amount of sleep, and the best comparable sensation I can come up with would be the morning after multiple doses of acid, when you feel completely wrung out, what we used to call feeling like Gumby, the play figure, with wires running through his body, and almost like there's a half-dose of amphetamine in your gut, with skin gone mildly electric, especially across the chest/front torso, but the whole body gets to share the moment to some degree..

"I want my money back!!!"
                  ------------------------------------

One of the better cuts of EC doing 'Badge'

The Staples Center, L.A., August, 2001

(Incredibly tight and creative band, as it should be).

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=xS...MVMefFo-Clq844
                  Last edited by moose eater; 01-16-2021, 20:47.

Comment

Originally posted by moose eater View Post
                    Days a person walks away, into the void, muttering, "I'm a dumbass... I'm a dumbass."

No! No! No! "I am Loveable, Beautiful and Worthwhile ... before, during and after ... dealing with Medicos."

Comment

Originally posted by Sat X RB View Post
                      No! No! No! "I am Loveable, Beautiful and Worthwhile ... before, during and after ... dealing with Medicos."
                      Thanks.

I'm aware, but in this case, it was somewhat deserved.

I'd had this guy's name in my gear for a while, had done enough research to know he's listed among the who's-who of the Seattle area urology/oncology surgeons, but when the rubber met the pavement, up until AFTER I'd already met with him via computer, I had NOT CLUE WHO THIS GUY REALLY IS!!

I wish I could say who he is, and the history he possesses, but that would be over the line..

And there I was, staring into a computer screen, with no idea at that time of the proverbial gift horse's mouth I was staring into, and my response at the end, in naivete' and ignorance, was, "well, I still have 2 more consultations to complete before making a decision."

If I'd have known then what I discovered later, I'd have stripped naked, sanitized my body, and crawled through the ethernet cable to ask him to cut me right them.

Man of these true original gurus of what ever very technical and skilled profession, are well aware of who they are and the esteem they hold among colleagues, and unwittingly, I basically took Christ, set him in a room with Pontius Pilate, and told them I viewed them equally. For lack of a better term, they sometimes have great egos, and are often Asperger's Syndrome and/or borderline autistic; they're often not people-persons, and they do sometimes demand respect.

My moment of ignorance shit all over that, and I don't know the guy well enough to know how forgiving of any perceived sleight, real or not, he might be.

That's the long-hand version.

So I guess I'll find out next week whether he is still willing to slice and dice in my case, or if my uninformed remarks may have cost me one of the best surgeons of his type on the West Coast.

So for that moment, and several thereafter, maybe even today, there is still a bit of a voice in there muttering, "I'm a dumbass."

But me and myself will eventually reconcile with each other. Hopefully with him, too.

--------------------------------------------------------

Joe Bonamassa, Live

Royal Albert Hall, London, UK,

'Mountain Time'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMqvPYPvQ0

Comment

those doctors know patients are sometimes dipshits. good ones can ignore the implications you're beating yourself up over. others might not, but soon having your monies in pocket can forgive. lol

best thing about not having gall bladder is never getting those stones again. well worth it imo.
                        i gotta go clean the muck out the chicken coop, had more than 10"s of rain this month already and with their effluent the muck is pungent and sticky...change of boots required.
                        better days....

Comment

Originally posted by trichrider View Post
                          those doctors know patients are sometimes dipshits. good ones can ignore the implications you're beating yourself up over. others might not, but soon having your monies in pocket can forgive. lol

best thing about not having gall bladder is never getting those stones again. well worth it imo.
                          i gotta go clean the muck out the chicken coop, had more than 10"s of rain this month already and with their effluent the muck is pungent and sticky...change of boots required.
                          better days....
                          I'm hoping you're right, trich.

Others close to his league are seeing patients 2-4 weeks out. The soonest this guy can cut on me is mid-March.

reminds me of the old rule that, not withstanding cancellations or new businesses, if you call a mechanic, and they can get you in the next day, and they're not a new business, and haven't had a cancellation, then there's a solid chance they're a shitty mechanic, or bending over backward to help..

He raised his voice when I teetered off into a mild extension of the panic I'd had, and didn't quickly answer re. some meds changes.

As a good friend in another part of the Country said (he used to be up here, and he's had 10 or more times the surgeries of the average human), "You're not going to dinner or on a date with this guy; you're asking him to fix you. But they are often a different breed, borderline autistic, etc."

But my call with his scheduler the other day was to let them know that I'm leaning toward surgery, he's my primary choice of/for Docs, and I attempted to clarify the different scans, some with suspicious notes and some clean, as well as clarifying the gall stone issues and any possible meds changes for all of the above and more.

Part of the problem being that in normal circumstances, my thoughts race, and I'm answering questions sometimes that haven't even been asked yet. Never mind those that have.

So hopefully round II on the phone with the scheduler doesn't further trigger any irritation he may or may not already hold toward me.

This isn't a guy who has to find patients, or put up with anything frustrating.

And thanks again for your attentiveness here, trich. Sincerely.

-------------------------------------------

One of my favorite instrumental "I need a cathartic cry" tunes.

An instrumental nearly on par with Santana's Samba Pati...

Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Live, Summer Fest 2015

'While We Cry'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4T14P37eA0

Comment

With respect to a plant based diet, it seems to me with the passage of time,
                            I have become accustomed to eating as I do now just fine.
                            The one exception is sugar. Have cut way back on it, but can
                            not seem to be rid of it completely. Am currently dealing with
                            an issue with wintergreen lifesavers, to the tune of about a bag
                            a week.
                            That which matters most

Comment

Originally posted by Gry View Post
                              With respect to a plant based diet, it seems to me with the passage of time,
                              I have become accustomed to eating as I do now just fine.
                              The one exception is sugar. Have cut way back on it, but can
                              not seem to be rid of it completely. Am currently dealing with
                              an issue with wintergreen lifesavers, to the tune of about a bag
                              a week.
                              It's been a matter of trying to find things I like, and that have the proper amounts of the things that are required, while maybe fine-tuning the old diet that was pretty darn clean, but was out of whack at times where balance and proportion are concerned.

I quit white rice, white flour, white sugars, and nearly anything 'white' 11 years ago; whole grain only, and maple syrup or honey when required, though in lesser 'sweetness' than a recipe might use for sugar.

At this point I'm also finding a variety of veggies and fruits that have credibility where possession of anti-carcinogens are involved. Can't really entertain the fruits too much anyway, but some are acceptable in smaller proportion; tomatoes, dried Turkish apricots, and so on. But again, the Venn Diagram involving a primarily plant-based diet for cancer, and another circle representing a proper diet for diabetes, there's an overlap in the middle that is narrower than one or the other by themselves, in their totality.

An older Yupik woman spoke once at a conference I was at, and she said the White people brought the 3 white deaths with them; sugar, salt, and cocaine.

Comment

3 erroneous bills of varying degrees of error on my desk at the moment.

Murphy says these things come on a Friday or a Saturday, often on a long holiday week-end, just to increase the stress in delayed resolution.

That was OK, and, at the same time, stressful enough.

But I woke up a bit panicked (yes, again), thinking that some of these arrangements with the Bigger Players might not be as they were with entities in my past surgeries; there may be contractually agreed upon coverages, but with the patient not protected from the overages.

Needless to say, waking up with such thoughts, of leaving my younger son and wife $50,000, or more, or less, in unpaid bills, due to specific or special contractual allowances, wouldn't be acceptable.

Woke up with the anxiety tingling in arms, belly, chest, etc. I really am becoming offended at Murph, or what ever factor currently has me waking up resenting the new day, and panicked. I am. Maybe I will go from anxious to angry? Other than for those around me, that might be an improvement.

Headed straight for the Raspberry Zinger tea, and about <1gram of non-decarbed (raw, but dried) 220mg/gram CBD flower, cut it up with kitchen shears, and placed it in a tea ball; this had been advised to calm nerves, by a fairly well-informed medical canna person at our forums, who helped me via PM, especially when I was having heightened panic after eating my decarbed THC flowers. Seems to work, been occasionally doing it since, and in terms of starting out with lighter caliber weaponry first, I am trying to get into the habit of doing this, before reaching for an under-powered, unreliable Rx ant-anxiety med that's delivered varying results.

An older activist here, in my geographic area, affiliated with the University in some ways, was found dead in his bed a few days ago; folks wondering about the vaccines. I simply don't have time for such messages. Especially those sourced at places like Epoch Times, or YouTube conspiracy stuff. When the folks contending with his death know more, maybe, maybe they'll let the rest of the world know. It's a bummer, and he was a good guy, but speculation with seeds of what ever it is, AIN'T helping anyone. Maybe the sender will figure that shit out. It ain't as though we ALL haven't been carrying enough stress in general without someone pissing gasoline on the proverbial fire with made-up answers.

Other than that, and for waking a couple times last night, I slept reasonably well.

I ended up setting up a larger cool sonic mist vaporizer that I had bought several years ago, in setting up a more automated double-mushroom terrarium with two 10-gallon tanks. Works in its original, intended (by the manufacturer) capacity quite nicely.

I got the extra bedroom's RH up to 38% this AM, some time before sun-up, and with the 1/2 of an anti-anxiety pill last night (about 12.5mg of lightweight), maybe 3-5 dips of a narrow toothpick into the overfilled extract in a capsule, one of the capsules the member brought to me from the store, just under a gram of decarbed CBD flower, chewed properly, and 4 decent puffs from a 17.5% THC Indica doobie the generous member had also brought to me in Seattle, and I slept fairly well, again, not withstanding an over-active mind, unresolved questions whether this surgeon will still cut on me, and the billing nonsense, along with specifics of contractual arrangements.

Another day, drinking Raspberry Zinger tea with raw, dried CBD flower, and the Kansas City Chiefs are on in a bit, and my wife has invited me to the game. Patrick's our guy, even if I'm a Seahawks fan, if only for the fact that Alaska doesn't have a pro football team.... or much else, for that matter.

-------------------------------------------------------

I picked up this Lp on vinyl, over 3, almost 4 decades ago. Never heard his own band before, but knew him from the Allman Bros., who fired him since, over excesses and decorum issues. I found this to be as beautiful a tune as any that he has been a part of.

Dicky Betts & Great Southern

'Bougainvillea'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0XemHkpMM
                                Last edited by moose eater; 01-17-2021, 20:17.

Comment

Working...
                                X