What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone 'cured' prostate cancer with....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdd420

Veteran
Some discussion of inflammation as an issue that works to invite cancer cells, and efforts to decrease inflammation, aside from THC as an anti-inflammatory. Smoke seems to be an irritant that leads to such negatives.

With al the extract ingestion, and auto-immune issues, I'd quite smoking joints or pipes a week or 2 ago, and am trying to not interfere with the CBD's potential action with any more THC during day time, so smoking a bit less (I had been a mostly afternoon and bed-time smoker for a long while, anyway, occasionally imbibing during the day time).

In line with these changes/thoughts, I pulled out my old Pinnacle Pro II and plugged it in to charge. I had used it routinely after spine surgery, partly to protect the lungs at a time of vulnerability/healing, and because the hospital-affiliated hotel we used has a very strict policy on smoking.

The Pinnacle Pro is having some battery issues, and being over 10 years old (maybe more than 10 yrs.) the fact that it holds any charge, even for a couple days, is impressive. But I will be needing a replacement.

So.... Best prices/sources on a PAX 3, a Mighty, a Crafty, more portable Arizer, or something of at least GOOD quality, pocket-able, preferably with a glass air-tube and chamber, and no truly hot sensations when holding or toking on the thing (the PPII gets hot at times).

And, if possible, no Blue Tooth. If we've come to a place where we need a smart phone to program or adjust a smoking device, then....

So, if anyone has any input re. a GOOD, to EXCELLENT, higher-quality, reliable, well-warrantied vaporizer, please chime in.

Ideally, it would function with hash and flowers, and maybe even dabs, but at least effective with flowers and hash.

Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------

George Harrison

'What is Life'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=773tS353yPQ

Look into the newvape flowerpot it’s the only vape that works for me and I’ve tried a bunch of them. You use it with your bong. I just converted a couple weeks ago and haven’t gone back. It is expensive but it really gets me high

Galvano

Thank you.

You're welcome.
Indeed, thanks to you, your shared experience could help someone in the future.

But your insight re. the possible issues with CBD are very helpful.

Unfortunately, I can't formally discuss this with any of my healthcare providers at this time; some due to indiscretions, and some due to clinic policies.
I thought it was easier in North America to find a doctor to consult for cannabinoid-based therapy.
Here, in Italy, family and hospital doctors do not even know therapeutic uses of cannabinoids (except for pain therapy, maybe).
However, if you cannot consult an MD or a dispensary on the CBD and drug interactions you could ask for the "grapefruit juice drug interactions", the interaction of grapefruit juice with drugs is similar to that of CBD so you can say that sometimes you drink grapefruit juice and ask if it's safe with the drugs you're taking.

In addition to ingesting and vaporizing I'd do some research about suppository administration, it seems that rectally administered cannobinoids have a greater bioavailability:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8383856/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8897084/

Moreover they are delivered directly near the affected organ
so they don't have to travel long through lungs or stomach and bloodstream.

Best wishes :tiphat:

G

You're welcome.
Indeed, thanks to you, your shared experience could help someone in the future.

I thought it was easier in North America to find a doctor to consult for cannabinoid-based therapy.
Here, in Italy, family and hospital doctors do not even know therapeutic uses of cannabinoids (except for pain therapy, maybe).
However, if you cannot consult an MD or a dispensary on the CBD and drug interactions you could ask for the "grapefruit juice drug interactions", the interaction of grapefruit juice with drugs is similar to that of CBD so you can say that sometimes you drink grapefruit juice and ask if it's safe with the drugs you're taking.

In addition to ingesting and vaporizing I'd do some research about suppository administration, it seems that rectally administered cannobinoids have a greater bioavailability:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8383856/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8897084/

Moreover they are delivered directly near the affected organ
so they don't have to travel long through lungs or stomach and bloodstream.

Best wishes :tiphat:

You're correct. There are many Docs in the US who might agree with formal discussion re. CBD/THC/THC-a therapies. But at the moment, the clinic my primary care Doc works at, forbids formal discussion of such, so anything stated in those meetings is informal and brief.

Her nurse, just a couple weeks ago, stated they were not permitted to discuss 'home remedies' when I was attempting to discuss some of the traditional 'treatments' for gall stones posted on-line, such as the vinegar and oil regimens.

In that regard, I think it becomes not only a way of banning any discussion of cannabinoid therapies, but a way of preventing liability in the event there's any counter-indications or poor reactions between therapies.

Likely the same/similar reason the reference was placed in my chart at the one clinic, after I'd asked for it to be not formally mentioned in writing, for a variety of continuing issues in our society where such references can still carry some negative results.

And thank you again.

---------------------------------------------

Graham Nash

'Immigration Man'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9hpmJH2m0k

G

Look into the newvape flowerpot it’s the only vape that works for me and I’ve tried a bunch of them. You use it with your bong. I just converted a couple weeks ago and haven’t gone back. It is expensive but it really gets me high

Thanks, sdd.

I'll give that one a peek.

I'd been looking at the Arizer Solo II, the PAX 3, and a couple others last night, like the Mighty. Wanted something small enough and sturdy enough, yet light-weight, to tuck into my luggage, etc.

Had a moderate e-coupon hooked up a couple times, but had difficulty justifying pulling the trigger, thinking about the legitimacy of spending a couple hundred $$ right now. But it probably needs to happen.

I have noticed that the last several times I've charged the battery on the PP II it has held the charge a bit longer, so it's remotely possible that it's getting re-conditioned, by charging it gradually each time, holding a bit longer and more. We've done that a time or 3 with other types of batteries that were bordering on death. But this one is over a decade old, too, and it was a slightly better than mid-grade vaporizer when it was new, in terms of function.

Thanks again.

Edit: I just looked at the flowerpot, and I think I need something a little more portable. I'll keep looking, but thanks for the mention..

-------------------------------------------

The Band

'Live at Watkins Glen. '

'Back to Memphis'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1xRiKCY5kU&list=PLJNbijG2M7OyrFYQkAE5jWgNrEMDKpLsN

Last edited:
G

Scored a Pax 3 bundle/kit for a decent price ($200), and it ought to be here shortly; shipping out in a day or 2.

For now, that's resolved. We'll see.

I'll continue trying to re-generate the PP II battery. It (as stated earlier) seems to be trying to come back on line wit repeated charging.

---------------------------------------------------------

Meeting with a Doc in a bit, via computer, to discuss the poor outcomes with the previous antihistamine/anti-anxiety Rx, and to see if there's a more suitable substitute.

It bothers me that they still view liability where addictive substances are concerned, even when the track record of the patient (me) says there's NO issue with misusing the Rx's I have on-hand. I've told them many times, and they say they trust me, that IF I were a serious pill consumer, I wouldn't have 6 & 8-year-old opiate Rx's on-hand, or muscle relaxers that are at least that old, & I wouldn't have just recently finished off a 1996 Rx for Ativan .5mg.

Obviously, the fact that these thigs are either still here, or were here, for a LONG-ASS time, says they were not being viewed as M&M's or something.

I mean, of the fifteen .5mg Ativan they gave me 10 days ago, I still have 14-1/2!!

Blanket policies of distrust mean that eventually, folks who need help, are turn3d away. Like paying someone else's speeding ticket, just 'cause you were nearby.

-----------------------------------------------------

Contacted the radio-oncologist's nurse and scheduler, both, yesterday, inquiring as to whether or not I had missed some sort of protocol re. after appointment follow-up questions via their Portal. I'd sent additional questions about 10 days ago. So far no answers.

The one post-appt. set o f questions I sent to the surgeon, as well as the lab questions, are still both unanswered as well, and they were sent through the Portal last week.

My wife suspects that at this time, they want to hear one of 3 things from me; "I want surgery, schedule me," "I want radiation, please schedule me," or, "I've decided to go elsewhere for treatment."

The fact is that I want (and deserve?) the remaining questions to be answered before making what is apt to be a one-time-only choice, with some probability of follow-up treatment in the future.

So, as I prepare to make what ever decision about which part(s) of quality-of-life, and perhaps life itself, that I'm most willing to gamble with, I'm in a holding pattern, or perhaps worse.

So I learn to wait again. Waiting, sometimes for days on end, in one spot, as a cross-country hitch-hiker and person of the road, years ago, was often quite easy. Finding things to do, berries to eat, etc., was sometimes a plus. This circumstance is not a benefit to me..

------------------------------------------------------

Paul McCartney & Wings

'Maybe I'm Amazed'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxTdz3hw9Xo

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
seems to me that you could have thrown too much at the problem at once. with your dietary changes, loading up on cannabinoids, reducing physical activities, and focusing on increasingly stressful healthcare interactions as well as familial incongruity and financial implications.
you may be camouflaging/diluting/denying what may work best.
you stated you would never be doing a gram a day, and have yet not said whether you did or did not try suppositories. as stated prior, suppositories do not give you head highs making it the best way to approach a gram a day without the debilitating effects an oral dose gives as well as quicker action.
one of the papers posted suggested that oral ingestion provides but 6% effect after liver metabolization. suppositories reduce this hepatic first-pass effect and acts much more quickly than oral.
i've watched Run From the Cure ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlk9KmGfu3E ) and i don't see him suggesting or doing any decarb other than in reducing the extract to oil by boiling (alcohol boils at 173*F) that's about 75*F lower than you would use doing it in an oven and less THCa will be converted this way.
it may well be that decarbing is counter productive, perhaps even destroying qualities we're seeking.
decarb-chart.jpg

decarbing is mainly intended to increase THC for the high. this may be the nemesis of medicinal application.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6805701/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bCTC-On7g
[youtubeif]-3bCTC-On7g[/youtubeif]

be well

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
^^^at 31:35 or so in the Run from the Cure video, Simpson states "at no time should you let the temperature of the oil go over 290*F".

i can't say whether the terpenes or whatnot work in conjunction with the thc/cbd, but more knowledgeable heads here insist on an entourage effect...which i advocate as whole plant extract...Sears catalog used to sell tinctures of cannabis, i'm curious if they knew about decarboxylation then(?)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHhX1IvsIY
[YOUTUBEIF]yTHhX1IvsIY[/YOUTUBEIF]

G

^^^at 31:35 or so in the Run from the Cure video, Simpson states "at no time should you let the temperature of the oil go over 290*F".

i can't say whether the terpenes or whatnot work in conjunction with the thc/cbd, but more knowledgeable heads here insist on an entourage effect...which i advocate as whole plant extract...Sears catalog used to sell tinctures of cannabis, i'm curious if they knew about decarboxylation then(?)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHhX1IvsIY
[YOUTUBEIF]yTHhX1IvsIY[/YOUTUBEIF]

Thanks trich.

We discussed the suppository approach here (I have suppository molds, organic cacao butter chunks, and more, for their manufacturing), and at least one long-time cancer patient who has used cannabinoids to treat cancer, argued that the claims of bioavailability are not realistic, and stated they believe that the absence of a 'head high' with suppositories, is, in all likelihood, evidence that the extract isn't being absorbed into the bloodstream.

Other sources claim a substantially greater bioavailability of cannabinoids (85% by suppository and 35% by oral ingestion).

So I haven't yet used that method, though I have everything I need to do it; decarbed THC flowers to extract, non-decarbed THC flowers to extract, etc.

The reduction of the solvent to THC-extract stage was mostly at just around or immediately over 200 f. It shot up for a brief second to the ~347 f. mark and was immediately addressed.

I know there's THC in there, as I get off on it almost immediately (very short delay to effect) when dipping it straight into my mouth (minus any serious chest-tightening), and only a bit longer when ingested in capsules.

I will note that when I was eating decarbed flowers (not having been able at that time to extract outdoors, due to temps, and we're currently -30 f +/-), and the onset of effect was LONG.. HOURS. The THC extract I have now is far faster; makes me curious as to why?

The 75 f temps for evaporation is more or less what I was doing as 'passive evaporation' 20 years ago, leaving the solvent in Pyrex baking dishes on the enclosed back porch, nylon fine-mesh bridal veil/bug screen tightly stretched over the dishes, and held in place with linked rubber bands as a sort of wreath around the perimeter of the plates.

I would just leave them there, check them visually through the side of the glass over a week-and-a half or 2, and when it looked like reddish crystalizing honey, I would stir it up with a safety razor, as I believed there were likely pockets of unreleased solvent trapped in the goo after it had become thick. So I'd stir and leave it another bit, then stir again. Re[peat as necessary until the probability of any solvents being present was/is reduced.

The temps for such a season here would range from 50 to 60 f. at night, and up into the 70s, 80s or 90s+ above 0 in the summers.

I suspect I can do a passive evap here on the back porch, even at the current temps. Or I can do a solvent extraction and try to keep the temp down to 70+ f., but the induction cook top doesn't go that low and is malfunctioning (waiting on the techs at the manufacturer to provide a replacement), and the Chinese 'laboratory' hot plate w/stir function is a total piece of unreliable dog excrement.

So passive evap is an option, I KNOW that alcohol, gasoline, etc., WILL evaporate at cold temps, but it will likely take a fair bit longer than added heat, or a 70-80 degree f. day on the porch. Any residual water would have to be cooked inside on the stove, but most of the volatiles would be gone by then, seriously reducing the likelihood of a 'BOOM!!'

I'll give a watch and a read to the items you left.

And thanks for the Hendrix-Stills piece. Good stuff.

Edit: King Weed was good stuff as well. Thanks! Never heard them before.
---------------------------------------
Still nothing from the surgeon or the radio-oncologist.

In my world, even if you're the best of the best (and these guys are among them), there's things I want to know, in detail, before I commit to a no-return kinda' therapy. No undoing this shit once it's happening.

Hopefully they get to a place of understanding that we, as patients are entitled to have our questions answered before getting sliced and diced upon, or shaken and baked.

All the trust in the world doesn't answer specific detailed questions.

Mtg. with stand-in Doc was more or less successful. We'll go forward from there.

--------------------------------------

Stephen Stills

'Treetop Flyer'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opBe5z0qwRE

Last edited:
G

Every now and again, a brief period of optimism sets in, and the feeling of what I think I recall as normalcy is upon me.

I laughed and cried, and danced, almost at the same time, while fixing my high-lycopene lunch... when this came on the screen. Our youth can haunt us as peaceful and content memories, and there's sometimes a sense of loss in that sweet nostalgia. Sometimes hard to sort out the happy tears from those of quasi-surrender, but I'm sure they're both in there at times.

Outlaws

'Green Grass & High Tides'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2CAtExXgQ

buzzmobile

Veteran
I believe those tears of happy sadness and sad happiness are medicine too, moose eater. When they come on there is no resisting, no thinking, no deciding. Just tears to wash fears out of your mind. It is impossible to think, ponder, question, argue when the medicine flows from your eyes. Those tears helped me survive my chaotic brain.

Dancing while crying is possible.
:D

How's about a little round of Moondog?
Nero's Expedition

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6694/12/7/1985/htm
Anti-Cancer Potential of Cannabinoids, Terpenes, and Flavonoids Present in Cannabis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852356/
The current state and future perspectives of cannabinoids in cancer biology
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3504989/
Cannabidiol inhibits angiogenesis by multiple mechanisms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4791144/
Anticancer mechanisms of cannabinoids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4TW70xVkmU
5 Hour Grateful Dead "Jam Only" Compilation 1971-1983

G

I believe those tears of happy sadness and sad happiness are medicine too, moose eater. When they come on there is no resisting, no thinking, no deciding. Just tears to wash fears out of your mind. It is impossible to think, ponder, question, argue when the medicine flows from your eyes. Those tears helped me survive my chaotic brain.

Dancing while crying is possible.
:D

How's about a little round of Moondog?
Nero's Expedition

Thanks buzz.

Yep, incongruent affect in times of stress. Classic, to some degree. I'll take the dancing, and the fact that my legs had enough spring in them to not feel as old as I did a month or 2 ago.

The pieces that lined up with your posted YT music, reminded me of a 'find' on YouTube television last night; black screens with a variety of meditative or sleep-inducing sounds, as well as imagery with sleep inducing sounds.

One had us floating over the clouds, toward a giant yellow moon, with the slow orchestral/symphony music in the background. As a testament to our years, we both felt a bit motion sick. And I've not been prone to sea-sickness, typically, even when a good distance out in the Gulf of Alaska. :laughing:

Went to the 'dark screen with thunder and rain', as it seemed the most natural and calming. 'Crashing waves' just sounded like an echo of the HRV in the HRV closet, but with broken tempo. Stuff a person finds when sitting still, stoned, and prone. :ying:

------------------------------------------------

Pax 3 has a label created. The email was more optimistic than that, saying it had shipped.

Still no word from the surgeon or the radio-oncologist, or their support staff.

We'd recently told them I was cancelling my 3rd consultation with a third clinic in that region, but in light of the lack of response, Monday, when the automated call to confirm the appt. came, and we hadn't heard back from the other 2, in follow-up, I and my wife decided that for now, we should keep this door open.

So I'll be talking with a third source today, and hoping there's no smoldering bridges.

----------------------------------------------

Another day.

Thanks for the tunes, buzz. Nice stuff, as usual.

---------------------------------------------

Playing for Change, Song Around the World,
Featuring Manu Chao

Covering Bob Marley's 'One Love'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjPODksI08

G

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6694/12/7/1985/htm
Anti-Cancer Potential of Cannabinoids, Terpenes, and Flavonoids Present in Cannabis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852356/
The current state and future perspectives of cannabinoids in cancer biology
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3504989/
Cannabidiol inhibits angiogenesis by multiple mechanisms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4791144/
Anticancer mechanisms of cannabinoids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4TW70xVkmU
5 Hour Grateful Dead "Jam Only" Compilation 1971-1983

Thanks again, trich.

I'll give these a review here very shortly; this morning.

I re-read what I replied to you and Galvano yesterday, and realized my head must've been on someone else's shoulders when I wrote some of that. I missed the initial temps you were discussing, responding to (???) instead, and failed to reply to Galvano re. the suppository approach, not replying to that until I was responding to you.

I think that some times these days, if my head isn't really clear, I need to re-read not only what others have posted, but what I am posting, as well.

Apologies.

----------------------------------

I'll get into those and others in a moment or 2.

Thanks again, trich.

----------------------------------

Playing for Change, Song Around the World,
featuring Stephen Marley, and live footage of Bob, nicely dubbed in.

'Redemption Song'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55s3T7VRQSc

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v-nTRLEXFk

[youtubeif]6v-nTRLEXFk[/youtubeif]
Nasal Nitric Oxide: Can you HUM your way to better health?
Nitric Oxide and Cancer Therapy: The Emperor has NO Clothes

Jason R. Hickok and Douglas D. Thomas*

Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer

See other articles in PMC that cite the published article.

Go to:
Abstract

The role of nitric oxide (NO·) as a mediator of cancer phenotype has led researchers to investigate strategies for manipulating in vivo production and exogenous delivery of this molecule for therapeutic gain. Unfortunately, NO· serves multiple functions in cancer physiology. In some instances, NO· or nitric oxide synthase (NOS) levels correlate with tumor suppression and in other cases they are related to tumor progression and metastasis. Understanding this dichotomy has been a great challenge for researchers working in the field of NO· and cancer therapy. Due to the unique chemical and biochemical properties of NO·, it’s interactions with cellular targets and the subsequent downstream signaling events can be vastly different based upon tumor heterogeneity and microenvironment. Simple explanations for the vast range of NO-correlated behaviors will continue to produce conflicting information about the relevance of NO· and cancer. Paying considerable attention to the chemical properties of NO· and the methodologies being used will remove many of the discrepancies in the field and allow for in depth understanding of when NO-based chemotherapeutics will have beneficial outcomes.

Keywords: Nitric oxide, cancer, metastasis, nitric oxide synthase, chemotherapy

Go to:
INTRODUCTION

Nitric Oxide (NO·) is a ubiquitous free radical signaling molecule that regulates many cellular processes including angiogenesis, smooth muscle tone, immune response, apoptosis, and synaptic communication [1]. In addition to the many normal physiologic functions of NO·, it has been implicated in the etiology and progression of many disease processes including cancer [13]. The role of NO· in cancer is complex and spans the range from cause to cure. Nitric oxide can be genotoxic under certain circumstances indicating it may be involved in the etiology of many cancers. At the same time, numerous studies suggest that NO· suppresses various cancer phenotypes. As a result, many experimental chemo-therapeutic agents have been designed to manipulate the bioavailability of NO·. Nitric oxide appears to be stimulatory or inhibitory on cancer depending on a variety of factors. Despite the general acceptance of this paradox, interpretation of research in this field continues to provide as many questions as answers.
Nitric oxide has been implicated in various aspects of metastasis, which causes 90% of cancer related deaths[4], leading researchers to actively search for ways to pharmacologically manipulate NO-mediated responses. Nitric oxide is not limited to classical receptor-ligand interactions. Once it is synthesized, NO· targets a wide variety of molecules within the cell. As a result, there are numerous examples taken from seemingly similar circumstances that implicate NO· in the progression of cancer and other examples demonstrating its inhibitory properties. While there are many proposed reasons for the contradictory behavior of cancer in response to NO·, the simplest and probably most overlooked explanation is that the phenotypic responses of cancer cells are determined by the chemical properties of NO·. The effect NO· has on signaling events can be dramatically different depending on the concentration and the duration of exposure [5]. Both of these properties are affected by the cellular milieu and redox environment of the cell. It is the cellular environment that determines the types of chemical reactions of NO· and these chemical reactions will influence the concentration of NO· and its interactions with cellular targets. Thus effective intervention of NO· signaling pathways involved in cancer progression will have to consider the type of cancer being targeted and where and when NO· is being released. Since NO· can have either stimulatory or inhibitory effects on cancer progression, effective treatments will have to either raise or lower the bioavailability of NO· at the correct time, duration, and location. Though conceptually simple, achieving this with a high level of precision presents a significant technical challenge.
In addition to the molecular biological reasons for differences in NO· signaling, the field is complicated further by the wide variety of methods used to analyze NO· cancer interactions. Nitric oxide synthase (NOS) knockouts, pharmacological inhibition of NOS, and a slew of different NO· donor compounds are all used to infer the role of NO· in cell culture and organisms. All of these strategies are valid means to address certain questions, but it is important not to overstate the results achieved by any one method. It has been shown, for example, that laparotomized nude mice injected with MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells demonstrated significantly less bone metastasis if they were concomitantly treated with a NOS inhibitor (L-NAME) [6]. Conversely, when MDA-MB-231 cells in culture were treated with the NO-releasing com-pound JSK-1, it inhibited their ability to invade through matrigel and up-regulated tissue inhibitor of metalloprotease 2 (TIMP2) [7]. Others have shown that NO· donors can increase the in vitro migration and invasion of these cells (unpublished results). Thus, even when researchers use the same cell line, their conclusions concerning the impact of NO· on the metastatic properties of breast cancer differ greatly. Although excellent studies, when compared with one another, they also emphasize the complexity of these processes and not surprisingly indicate that there are multiple additional factors that must be considered before assigning the outcome solely to the presence or absence of NO.
In fact, it is generally true that the interaction of the tumor with the surrounding soma is highly varied and important in defining the metastatic fate of the tumor [811]. It is clear that in order to appreciate the influences of NO· on cancer progression a more extensive understanding of the entire molecular makeup of tumor cells and their localized environments is necessary. In addition to NO-producing tumors, the production of NO· in surrounding somatic tissue can also impact the metastatic progression of a tumor. The following review examines some of the discrepancies associated with the field of NO· and cancer with an emphasis on metastasis and therapeutic intervention and also points out various possible explanations for these dissimilarities.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3782103/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsGGDlZXSE

[youtubeif]hnsGGDlZXSE[/youtubeif]

It's a Beautiful Day - It's a Beautiful Day 1969 (full album)

G

The Potential Role of Nitric Oxide in Halting Cancer Progression Through Chemoprevention

Huzefa Vahora,1 Munawwar Ali Khan,2 Usama Alalami,2 and Arif Hussain1

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract
Nitric oxide (NO) in general plays a beneficial physiological role as a vasorelaxant and the role of NO is decided by its concentration present in physiological environments. NO either facilitates cancer-promoting characters or act as an anti-cancer agent. The dilemma in this regard still remains unanswered. This review summarizes the recent information on NO and its role in carcinogenesis and tumor progression, as well as dietary chemopreventive agents which have NO-modulating properties with safe cytotoxic profile. Understanding the molecular mechanisms and cross-talk modulating NO effect by these chemopreventive agents can allow us to develop better therapeutic strategies for cancer treatment.

INTRODUCTION

Nitric oxide (NO) is a multifunctional gaseous transmitter which is lipophilic, as well as one of the smallest molecules found in nature.13 A free radical in gaseous state functions as a messenger via cyclic GMP (cGMP).1 It was identified as a vasoactive small molecule in the 1980s and its cardiovascular activities are significant in relation to its vasorelaxation function as well as anti-thrombotic and anti-inflammatory effects. As a gasotransmitter, it regulates many physiological functions in the body, including neurotransmission, immune response, and anti-pathogenic effect,13 although NO is quite unstable and possess a half-life of 1 to 5 seconds in vivo.
Under normal physiological conditions, NO is produced by three isoforms of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) (Fig. 1), Neuronal NOS (nNOS/NOS1) and endothelial NOS (eNOS/NOS3) form the constitutive NOS category (cNOS), activating NO production for seconds to minutes in nanomolar concentrations. Contrastingly, the third isoform, inducible NOS (iNOS/NOS2), produces greater amounts of NO, reaching micromolar concentrations and lasting hours or days. cNOS members are dependent on the calcium ion concentrations for their activity, thus they are able to produce lower amounts of NO for shorter durations, in comparison to iNOS which is independent of the calcium ion concentration.13 NOS enzymes are dimeric in nature and two distinct catalytic domains, N-terminal oxygenase domain, and C-terminal reductase domain, are present on each monomer. The substrates binding to the N-terminal are Heme-5,6,7,8- tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4), L-arginine, and oxygen and the substrates binding to the C-terminal are NADPH, flavin mononucleotide, and flavin adenine dinucleotide.1 NO production is catalyzed by NADPH and oxygen as cosubstrates of L-arginine in the presence of NOS. The process of NO synthesis takes place in two steps: (i) hydroxylation of L-arginine to N?-hydroxy-L-arginine by NOS and (ii) oxidation of N?-hydroxy-L-arginine to L-citrulline and NO. The unpaired electrons of NO impart its reactivity towards inorganic molecules (oxygen, superoxide, or transition metals), DNA structures, and prosthetic groups, thus portraying its extensive biological activity.3
[URL=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4819660/bin/jcp-21-001f1.jpg]View Image[/URL]
Open in a separate window
Figure 1.
The pathway elucidating the production of nitric oxide (NO). NOS, NO synthase; NADP+, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate; nNOS, neuronal NOS; iNOS, inducible NOS; eNOS, endothelial NOS.

The actions of NO are mainly mediated through cGMP-dependent manner as well as cGMP-independent manner. The heme component of soluble guanylyl cyclase is targeted by NO, which further undergoes coupling with c-GMP-dependent protein kinase G and phosphodiesterases as well as cyclic nucleotide gated channels. In circumstances where cGMP is not available, the actions of NO are carried out independent of cGMP at low concentrations mainly in three ways, (i) interaction with proteins containing transition metal, (ii) interaction with proteins without the attached NO group, and (iii) modulation of cell signaling by posttranslational modification, mainly by forming S-nitrosothiol (SNO), which is achieved by coupling of a nitroso species to a reactive thiol group in specific cysteine residues, namely, S-nitrosylation.13
Over many years, NO was considered to be oncogenic in nature. Evidence has shown that NO plays a variety of roles in various stages of carcinogenesis by damaging the DNA, activating oncogenes, regulating apoptosis and metastasis, and inhibiting enzymes for DNA repair and tumor suppressor genes. Pro-tumor effects of NO were linked to the expression of NO-producing enzymes in tumor progression.2 NO also portrays anti-tumor effects by utilizing the immune defense mechanisms in animal models of various human cancers.1,3
ROLE OF NITRIC OXIDE IN CANCER BIOLOGY

NO, a free radical and water-soluble gas produced endogenously, regulates quite a few essential biological processes.4 Since a few decades, an interest in NO has been increased as a molecule involved in carcinogenesis and tumor progression. However, a controversial facet exists in understanding its role in the biology of cancer.4 This small molecule possesses the quality to either induce cancer progression or halt cancer growth and act as therapeutic agents.4,5 In conditions where NO is at lower concentrations, it aids in angiogenesis, which stimulates tumor progression by giving blood flow access to the tumor and subsequently result in cell proliferation (Fig. 2).5 On the contrary, higher levels of NO tend to be cytotoxic to cancer cells. This is achieved by the formation of peroxynitrite, which acts as an inducer of apoptosis and other toxic species during immune surveillances.5 Interestingly, peroxynitrite plays a dual role by aiding in inflammation-related carcinogenesis through the formation of 8-nitroguanine, a DNA-damaging entity and biomarkers.37

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4819660/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_EaHHO5KU
[youtubeif]wV_EaHHO5KU[/youtubeif]
Pink Floyd - MADley - Mixed Collection (Audio)

Thanks trich.

Watched the video, and started my way through the studies.

(*Good tunes, as well. Thanks. And double points for Wishbone Ash!!!).

Being quite serious, the heart arrhythmia and humming, reminded me of holding the breath to balance hiccups. Different folks have had different perceptions of this intervention, but I have thought or understood the science therein, if there is science behind it, there is the probability or possibility that the holding of the breath helps to balance the CO2 and oxygen in the body/lungs better??

With the heart issues she addresses, that makes sense to me, at least preliminarily.

I'll finish reading the studies, and see what they say about NO helping to stop cancer progression.

-----------------------------------------

I met with the 3rd clinic's Doc today. She was very patient and personable.

I was a bit surprised to find out that, despite the ~2-month delay re scheduling to see her via Zoom, she is not the person who would likely be operating on me, and she had limited knowledge of the radio-oncology questions I have.

That said, she had no problem acknowledging that she was limited in knowledge in that regard, and also stated that the specificity of my questions, having come this far through the consultation phase, means that the best persons to answer my questions, would likely be the gurus there, whom I had initially sent my records to; 2 surgeons.

It's honorable to say, "I don't know that, but I can find out," or, "I know who to ask." Life doesn't require that we all be Rembrandt in our fields. It would be impossible anyway..

So she is forwarding my current status to the radio-oncology Doc there and the urological surgeon Doc there, and believes I should hear back from them within the week.. to schedule another Zoom conference.

I felt good about the meeting, and hope that sense of decent 'being' from earlier, before the meeting during the meeting, and currently, post meeting, lasts, but like with the cancer outcomes, there are no real guarantees. we'll just have to ride this pony, and see how far she goes.

In any case, I'm on to the final answers, for the nitty gritty questions, and can hopefully choose between either these folks, or the others I have had more interaction with, when the time comes.. hopefully in the near future.

Still no answers from the previous surgeon or the radio-oncologist, to whom I had sent several pieces of correspondence and messages. either they're THAT busy, or I'm not welcome there now. Or...????

The best of the best often don't have to go looking for patients. And it's not like cancer went on vacation, and isn't providing any more patients for them.

Snowing here lightly to moderately most of the morning, and about -18 a while ago.

Pax 3 tracking says it's still just a label, and the shipping service is waiting for it...

I want an end to questions, a greater sense of certainty as to who is capable of doing what, and then make a decision, though I know if it's External Beam Radiation, with or without brachy seeds, I will be away from my family, home, and pups for over (at least) 38 days on the final stint, as I will not be seeking radiation tx in Fairbanks, and likely not in Anchorage either.

Fortunately for me, no matter which tx option, I've always viewed Seattle as a pretty cool city, as cities go. Very cool, even. And if it's radiation instead of surgery, I'll damned near be a resident by the time the dust settles.

Edit: in an effort to help me with anxiety and so forth, during any extended or moderate absences from my home, family and pups, my wife has proposed obtaining a lap top or similar (with a remote mouse, I hope, as I HATE the tiny little control board on them), for me to travel with, so we can visually AND audibly connect, and they can take me for tours in the house, visit with the pups, plants in the shop, etc. My wife is pretty cool, very stressed, and still running her office from home. There are some circumstances and relationships in which I have been so fucking fortunate!!
-------------------------------------------

Valdy

(*Canadian music from the 1970s. He hung out for a bit at the Hippie School in Carcross, Yukon Territory Canada, at 1 point. He once made a music video of himself, hitch-hiking to his own concert back then. He and Bruce Cockburn played Fall of 1977 at the Farago Folk Festival, in the now-defunct mining town of Faro, Yukon Territory, back when Faro had money (and a population). You can find dirt-cheap real estate in Faro, Yukon these days, by the way.. ;^>) ).

'A Good Song'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVhb4KFO6nk&list=PLbMggkfLCxd4rJHbYpVT2Je_93KXmmRHr&index=2

'Simple Life' ('Ode to L.A.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYVvYYRBC7s&list=PLbMggkfLCxd4rJHbYpVT2Je_93KXmmRHr&index=3

Last edited:
G

Still making my way through the links. Thanks again.

------------------------------------------

Last night's and today's focus is, and has been, caveats in insurance coverage, to especially address, "What is medically necessary?" And yes, in the era of corporatism, your insurers will be telling your Docs what is, and isn't 'medically necessary.'

That doesn't always mean you're stuck with the initial determination arrived at by mercenary Docs (hired by the insurer to refute claims), or by the bean counters and gate-keepers at the insurer's, but it does mean that if and when that particular draw briodge starts to go up, you may need to guard your assets by asserting yourself with energy you have to grope a bit to come up with.

So far so good, after receiving a heads-up from the screening MD from yesterday, that was likely an automated form notification, but implored me to clarify with my insurer, that despite there being no technical caps on number of visits to primary care, or to a specialist, the 'wiggle room' that potentially benefits the insurer, and screws subscribers, is when and if someone raises a red flag, and rightly or wrongly, declares, "This is not medically necessary." at which point your pockets MIGHT become a LOT lighter, if you're not on your toes, and don't turn those sorts of determination around.

The other focus is far more personal, and less monetary in nature, dealing more with our assessing how we came to be where we are with our 2 older children. Communication in our home has been a focus of 'things that need to change' for a long time, and despite some changes, has largely stayed where it's at.

All of these things matter more than some might think, even, maybe, more than treating the cancer, as watching a fine young man come of age, our 3rd child, and knowing that some of the communication deficiencies that have lived here in some family members, can still be alive and well.

Knowing that we're now rolling the dice on the future, quality of life, and more, and being angry about 1,001 things that "should've been different", I laid down another line last night, and we WILL be applying steady focus to improving these things. I'll be damned if this life will come and go, and leave things that matter to that degree, wagging in the wind, sometimes unchanged. If persons can't properly express themselves, then they are often destined for troubled relationships.

That broadly defined issue may not seem like a priority or proper use of energy at this time, all things considered, but I can assert, confidently, that it may be more important now than anything else we're dealing with here. Because the skills of this nature, that carry forward, will affect far more lives than whether we cure this cancer or not, or how severe or minimal the residual effects of treatment end up being.

-------------------------------------------------

Pax 3 is on the road, headed toward me. Searched the internet for a suitable replacement battery for the Pinnacle Pro, as I hate to trash it, when all it likely needs is a new battery. Not nearly as important as changing communication style or patterns here, and a true example of a questionable use of energy, but it was a change of focus that might bring something into a better state of repair.. So...

--------------------------------------------------

Valdy

'Rainmaker'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrrq7xqr5Go
-----------------------------------

'Rock and Roll Song'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpgYUhgbFAk&list=PLbMggkfLCxd4rJHbYpVT2Je_93KXmmRHr

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEo0p29Wmz8
[youtubeif]aEo0p29Wmz8[/youtubeif]
ignore the first 7 minutes of social engineering.

www.harmonicarts.ca
...where you can find products of coriolus versicolor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNv2-qNeDU
[youtubeif]FwNv2-qNeDU[/youtubeif]
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/mushrooms-pdq

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5592279/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7277906/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js0u184Hhng
[youtubeif]Js0u184Hhng[/youtubeif]

Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Live at La Cigale, 120 Boulevard de Rochechouart, Paris France

:tiphat:

G

Thanks again, trich.

Saw Charlie Musselwhite in Valdez, at the Community Civic Center there, 20-some years ago. Good show. Danced until I was a puddle of liquid. Got to dance with one of our more notorious Alaskan female dog mushers of yesteryear that night, with my wife's consent, of course.

-----------------------------------------------

Depending on the mushroom, past research has included shitake (which was not born out as effective for much other than stir-fry), reishi (spelling?) (which WebMD had stated there were varying aspects of 'success', but cautioned re. liver issues), and several times the Turkey tail mushrooms have come up, s they're next on the search function for continuing healthful changes to the diet. I'll give them a peek, shortly.

Found what I suspect is a decent vape battery to try to further revive the old Pinnacle Pro, as well as some shrink-to-fit battery cases/covers; I have issues adding to the land-fill when stuff has value and can be fixed for $10 or $15.

Radio-oncologist's scheduler phoned; one of the Docs I'd been waiting a while for, for further answers to pressing questions. They want another Zoom appt., rather than answering through the portal beyond the 1st set of answers. .Seems it was (at least) a money thing. That's well and good, though I'm now also waiting for scheduling for consultations with the oncologist and surgeon at the third clinic.

I've made it relatively clear that I want the best of the best. For what ever reason, they noted that in my screening/intake notes from yesterday.

I found that a bit odd. Who would not want the best of the best, when quality of life indicators/outcomes and cancer are concerned? Do they think there's folks out there who have options, thinking, "No, that's OK, give me brand X; I'm good, thanks."? Seriously??

I apparently live in a different reality than many folks. Or... ?

Anyway, from famine to feast, and back again.. Roller coasters have NEVER been my thing, and they especially aren't now, even if proverbial in nature.

John Popper & Blues Traveler, October 1997, Live (shortly after the time they were also in Valdez at the Civic Center).

Full Concert

Shoreline Amphitheatre (mostly acoustic kids' benefit show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omwQ5bWSAgs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.