Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Radiologist 'found' my diseased kidney two years after the first Radiologist missed it. Otherwise could still have that kidney.
    But fuckit! I 'm still alive and it is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sat X RB View Post
      A Radiologist 'found' my diseased kidney two years after the first Radiologist missed it. Otherwise could still have that kidney.
      But fuckit! I 'm still alive and it is good.
      Yep, lots of errors made, even by the best on occasion.

A friend used to be a big game guide, and folks who take those all-needs-provided trips, including remote access via small aircraft, guiding, meals, tents, etc, included, tend to be folks from Big Money.

That included a LOT of doctors, and while they ran the gamut, many had made themselves somewhat desensitized, possibly to protect themselves emotionally, or, quite possible that some of them were sociopaths to start with.

He's told me many a story about docs he guided for, who he held zero respect for, based on their own self-disclosures (and he's a fairly truthful person, as people go).

But there's lots of residual outcomes, potentially, when a person no longer cares for their clients or patients to the degree they ought to.

So I'll be asking my local primary care Doc if, while we're burning through a second year's deductible and max out-of-pocket expenses (those were all done as of 4 says ago, but.... New Year!!) if she doesn't mind ordering up an asthma inhaler (for emergencies), an Epee Pen for same, maybe some modafinil to help keep delirium at bay when it's pushing my head down, a follow-up scan for the previously dx'ed 'gall stones,' and.... if they have some time on their hands, maybe a cappuccino, close to a 'classic European' on the frothed milk..

Most of that last paragraph was serious, I just figure while I'm seriously going out of my way to knock out the max. expenditures, I figure they should value my presence..... and be thorough in their examination.

I'd hate like a bugger to find out down the road that the 'gall stones' were actually an earlier adventure by my own personal cancer.

I think in the end, the old adage about "2 heads being better than one" (or, if it involves well-respected Docs, maybe 6 or 8 heads are better than one.
      -----------------------------------------------
      Meant to mention this morning (did in the post that went to the ethers) that the mild presence of pressured breathing last night had me decide to try rolling a joint, wondering if smoking whole flowers would be more effective for opening airways in the lungs and such, than hashish I tried the night before had been..

I'm not any where near ready to make any conclusive statements about which worked better, until I have need to try both many more times. Not that I'm hoping for the opportunity; I am most certainly NOT.
      ------------------------------------------
      NRPS

Full Concert, 10/31/1975

Kicking it off with 'Panama Red.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13H7WK5Yx84

Comment

The article linked here:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/10...emask-dispute/

... gives me pause, re. the upcoming flights to Seattle.

Woman flying from Alaska with terminal illness, gets booted for wearing a better mask than the agents who were present wanted to permit her to wear.

Humans.

I think on the list of stuff I need to do before this first upcoming flight, I'd better add speaking with some airport and airlines folks, making certain that we all understand each other re. my masks.

Edit: Another article about the incident, but with a tiny bit more info (unless I missed it in the 1st link's article).

https://viewfromthewing.com/terminal...ive-equipment/

Near the bottom of the article at this link, is a pic of a gentleman on an aircraft, wearing a 'body pod,' which some airlines have formally banned, along with body-worn portable ozone generators, and some other interesting stuff.

Another moment of reinforcement of mediocrity, and persons with too much power, and too little common sense. imo

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07xx-fEucI
          “You can disagree without being disagreeable.”
          Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Comment

Originally posted by moose eater View Post
            The article linked here:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/10...emask-dispute/

... gives me pause, re. the upcoming flights to Seattle.

Woman flying from Alaska with terminal illness, gets booted for wearing a better mask than the agents who were present wanted to permit her to wear.

Humans.

I think on the list of stuff I need to do before this first upcoming flight, I'd better add speaking with some airport and airlines folks, making certain that we all understand each other re. my masks.

Edit: Another article about the incident, but with a tiny bit more info (unless I missed it in the 1st link's article).

https://viewfromthewing.com/terminal...ive-equipment/

Near the bottom of the article at this link, is a pic of a gentleman on an aircraft, wearing a 'body pod,' which some airlines have formally banned, along with body-worn portable ozone generators, and some other interesting stuff.

Another moment of reinforcement of mediocrity, and persons with too much power, and too little common sense. imo
            Can't help but notice the guy with the body pod was in first class.

As I was reading about how the woman was treated, could not help but think the airline clearly demonstrated exactly how concerned they were about everyone's welfare with that kind of behavior.
            That which matters most

Comment

ME, i had the symptoms you describe ie tight chest right side that increasingly worsened over 3 or 4 days when my gall was infected. the gall bladder was removed and i remember the pictures of it that the doctor revealed looked suspiciously like cancer although he never admitted doing a biopsy for.
              it was difficult to breath at first and then proceeded to a point i thought was indigestion from eating too many grapes...and then full blown pain that if not on my right side would have indicated heart attack.
              could you think of entertaining the possibility of a panic attack causing the breathing irregularity? we are witnessing in real time your stressors accumulating....
              have you firmed up your itinerary for the coming seattle visit?

have you hopes of bringing the current cbd/thc etc. therapeutics on your flights?
              just spitballing here.
              best trich
              "when i run outta weed, i smoke match sticks...
              that first hit is FIRE!!!"

"I'm not always a dick...but when I am, I drink cheap beer".

Comment

Originally posted by trichrider View Post
                ME, i had the symptoms you describe ie tight chest right side that increasingly worsened over 3 or 4 days when my gall was infected. the gall bladder was removed and i remember the pictures of it that the doctor revealed looked suspiciously like cancer although he never admitted doing a biopsy for.
                it was difficult to breath at first and then proceeded to a point i thought was indigestion from eating too many grapes...and then full blown pain that if not on my right side would have indicated heart attack.
                could you think of entertaining the possibility of a panic attack causing the breathing irregularity? we are witnessing in real time your stressors accumulating....
                have you firmed up your itinerary for the coming seattle visit?

have you hopes of bringing the current cbd/thc etc. therapeutics on your flights?
                just spitballing here.
                best trich
                Spitball away, trich. Every thing that might crack some sunlight into ideas I haven't yet thought of, are welcome, and receiving door prizes upon arrival.

I had another attack this AM at 4:00. In some ways different than the first more acute attack, but all too similar. This one had me panicked enough that I puked; ever the OCD guy, I was calculating when I last ate any cannabis or pills/supplements, doing some fast mental calculations on whether I was going to forfeit what I'd eaten if/when the whole ordeal finally climaxed.

At that point, I applied a nose strip (opens sinuses; first time ever using), took ONE of the same Sudafed tabs from several nights ago, did a hit on a pipe with some scissor hash, as well as another hit or 3 on a pipe with some of my sieved pressed hash, tried to calm myself down a bit, an watched the O2 meter on my finger.

Oxygen readings said my lungs and blood were decent air, though 2 times it fluttered at 88% & 89%, upping the concern a bit, despite those numbers being decent, too. Mostly ranged from 90 to 98%

I repeatedly remind myself that the O2 meters, the glucose meters, and a whole ton of use-at-home medical devices, are not even in the same ball park as medical lab equipment, where quality, accuracy, and price are concerned. We're sometimes basing decisions re. defining the depth of crisis, using equipment built by the lowest bidder, in a place with no worker protections to speak of, with components cranked out as fast as the line can run, and we receive the accuracy we were willing to pay for, or could afford.

Ended the whole panic moment in dry heaves, and my weeping a bit, apologizing to my wife for waking her up yet again, when she had to work today (from the house, but a LOT of work she does).

So, I phoned my primary Doc, and have a laundry list of things I need from her; inhaler Rx for emergencies, possibly a low-dose benzodiazepine such as Ativan (because I'm convinced there's at least a moderate 'panic component' to these occurrences. And I can guaran-god-damned-tee that the article before bed time, re the 75 y.o. woman, played a role, and when the panic sets in, the thing is cyclical until I can get it wrapped up better), another scan for the gall bladder (to make sure that collection of 'gall stones' were, in fact, gall stones), and maybe a letter on clinic letter head, with some specific threats of immediate cannibalism if someone screws with me for wearing masks of my type on their plane.

In short, I think there's more than a bit of merit to your inquiry re. panic attacks. Add the very low RH in the house, which likely contributes to not only the obvious, dry sinuses and airways, but inflamed sinuses, thus closing the passages even more.

Phoned around, and for about $20 I can add a sizable Lexan or similar safety face shield to my COVID-19 air travel accessorizing

Frankly, I wondered if the airline's aversion involved a marketing concern; they are desperately trying to sell the safety of air travel, to arrest the free-fall their bottom line has been in for the last 10 months, and while they were willing to block seats for a time (ending January 7th), someone dressed like they're doing clean-up at the Exxon Valdez doesn't exactly reflect a status of "All's well!", so I'm guessing there was some of that, s well as the deafness that can sometimes come with power in positions f authority, and the gate attendant didn't hear a damned word the older passenger woman uttered.

I did wonder, "Geez, if they were willing to use all that assertive force on a 75 year old woman who was simply trying to remain healthy, what will they do to a gruff looking bastard like me, wearing a black lather jacket?"

I'll find out soon enough; I have a Telehealth meeting with one hospital tomorrow afternoon, via computer, and my flight down to Seattle for the other clinic, will be the Wednesday after this, the 13th, which is also the row I'm sitting in, btw.. It just keeps getting better and better, on all levels, doesn't it!!!)

After that, the next consultation I have scheduled is a Telehealth or Doxy mtg., over the computer, but not until the 1st part of February., and I'm asking myself numerous times if this is putting it off too long, and if I find a Doc whose demeanor, skill sets, words, etc., sit well with me, that maybe I might consider cancelling the last consult or (?), and moving on this sooner, rather than waiting until February. AT some time in the near future, by hook or by crook, I want these squatter cells, where ever and what ever they may be, removed from my body... Like yesterday.

I'm left thinking of what I have said for many years. Murphy has a truly shitty and cruel sense of humor, and if I ever meet the conniving bastard, I'll probably mar my karma further.

Comment

Originally posted by Gry View Post
                  Can't help but notice the guy with the body pod was in first class.

As I was reading about how the woman was treated, could not help but think the airline clearly demonstrated exactly how concerned they were about everyone's welfare with that kind of behavior.
                  Yep, money and status play a role in all kinds of life's aspects these days.

Earlier in this whole sordid viral affair, I had envisioned such an outfit, and contemplated the use. Apparently it's not decorated with sufficient martyrdom or vulnerability for the average low-hanging bureaucrats.

The article reminded me of my old analogy or metaphor re. what happens when you take a Pfc and put them in charge the blankets & linen closet in the barracks; you can guarantee LOTS of guys are cold that night. 'Power and people' has always been a construct that tends to show the true nature of many of us.

On a brighter note, though it might not keep me safe from COVID in public, and despite each case being unique, between my childhood hippie buddy in the Eastern Mid-West, who survived horrid late stage bladder cancer, and lost lots of internal parts and pieces, as well as life activities in his cancer ordeal, and another acquaintance of great character and reputation, who was a part of the hippie school I attended in Canada, who had prostate cancer in 2005 and whipped it, I have added 2 more persons (although one was not prostate cancer, per se'), to the list of persons generously willing to be resources as guides of sort.

And in both their cases, in their own ways, they succeeded. The one in the Eastern Mid-West has lost a LOT of things that we attribute to being part of quality of life, but he's also a survivor more than many I know, so e's fine with where he landed.

Another day, errands to run, primary Doc for a hit-list of 10 things tomorrow at early morning, a face shield to procure in town, some groceries for my family, the energy efficient dryer duct needs done still (did the air handler's filters last night finally, as well as finishing setting the lights in the south cabinet, so I can get that happening, and clean the other cabinets and cupboards), and straighten out a missing check payment to the local specialty Doc.

If nothing else, major illnesses sure have the capacity to fill in an otherwise boring calendar, no?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmobile View Post
                    Thanks buzz. On the homestead farm in the UP of Michigan in the mid-1970s, Ziggy & the Spiders were right in there with Jerry Jeff, Willie, The Ozark Mtn. Daredevils, and lots more. I liked a lot of older Bowie, and a limited amount of his later stuff.

Comment

Phoned 'customer care' at Alaska Airlines, and they wouldn't comment at all on the issue with the 75 y.o. woman posted above.

When I asked for clarification re. the masks and configuration I use, she would not say yes or no, likely due to liability, denied there was any method to leave notes in my file re. current tickets (I'm pretty sure that's BS, as I've left notes before when I needed assistance re. flights to California for MRIs maybe 8 years ago), and when asked for specific restrictions re. types of masks, etc., she would not say what the criteria are, but rather referred me to a fairly well-informed web page, but which didn't answer specific questions, such as, American Airlines doesn't permit vented masks, but WILL, if you're wearing a surgical or similar mask over the exhale port(s), which is precisely what we do.

Who'd have thought there'd come a time that American Airlines had greater common sense than Alaska Airlines?

So, having put out most brush fires here that I needed to resolve before today's errand run, I'm headed in to obtain a face shield, some ported N95s (I gifted the last 7 we had here to a person who has helped me and been very generous), and some groceries, maybe.

But if they won't allow my ported P100 under a surgical mask and shield, they likely won't appreciate my ported N95, either. Meanwhile, they've been broadcasting the world over for 6 or 7 months about how they are valuing their passengers' health, but they boot them off for being safe beyond minimum... I'll cease that editorial there, as anything I have to say beyond this would likely simply be that much more caustic toward persons who value bureaucracy over logic and common sense.

Seeing my Doc tomorrow about a scan for cancer in the pancreas and liver, a sedative, inhaler, partridge in a pear tree, and what ever else, to include a 'Fuck You' letter for the gate agents at the airport.

There!! Now I'm mentally geared up for town!!!

Comment

That's absolutely ridiculous.he should of sued the hell out of them.thats why medical malpractice is one of the top killers. Hope your doing ok moose.at least your eating good
                        I AM THE LIQUOR!
                        MASTER OF SHITPUPPETS
                        the only difference between me and you is a couple of drinks

Comment

Originally posted by shithawk420 View Post
                          That's absolutely ridiculous.he should of sued the hell out of them.thats why medical malpractice is one of the top killers. Hope your doing ok moose.at least your eating good
                          Thanks 'hawk.

As of this morning, I've lost about 36 lbs., and I'm eating, but there's been both abrupt changes to dietary habits, and a lot less food and appetite.

Yes, I would hope the woman involved, whom they treated gruffly, and booted from her flight, would sue them until COVID losses look like a comparable event. But, takes money to make money, and sometimes takes money to make persons pay.

so for now, as I understand it, she's speaking with an advocacy group, but has back away, at least for now, from litigation.

----------------------------------------------

I did my town errands, and was able to avoid 2 stops, for finding things at other places I was already visiting..

Alaska Airlines would NOT budge, would not comment on the 75 y.o. woman's case, one of the Ak Airlines folks even denied that it was an Alaska Airlines passenger who was booted and treated poorly. Though I informed her that I had read at least 2 articles claiming it was Alaska Airlines, and IN the Fairbanks Airport.

I told them that the last time I checked, Alaska Airlines, like many, was hemorrhaging money, and that such a policy not only put persons at greater risk, but might well result in passengers switching company loyalty.

I encouraged her to send a message to her superiors, informing them that blanket policies for the sake of policies, often make less sense than a policy that is logically designed, and deals with reality.

I don't think they give a fuck. They want money, and like a hooker, will often tell you what ever it is they think they need to, to get your agreement. Then try enforcing what ever it is they promised...

Anyway, I went and bought a full face shield (thick Lexan), on a BRIGHTLY colored head band/fitting, with canary yellow pivoting visor band for the shield. Same place had 20-count boxes of non-ported, USA-made 3M, NIOSH rated, N95 masks, for all of about $26.

Also scored a giant kit for rinsing sinuses. Never knew these existed back in the early 80s. Looking forward to trying to put the slam dunk kybosh on the next time I feel like I can't get any air.

-------------------------------------------------

Observations from this town trip in trying to solve various medical or symptomatic mysteries.

We were -20 f. temp when I went into town.

I've bene wearing this GVS P100 Elipse half-mask with a surgical mask over it for ... who knows. I think I saw a picture of me wearing it back in the Pleistocene Period (jk, obviously..). The masks never before gave me the sense of suffocation or insufficient air/oxygen..... until today. There were times on the cell phone in the car, that as I spoke, I felt weak, like I might get dizzy.

Several times I violated my own protocol for masks, and as I was driving, took a nitrile-gloved hand, and tilted the mask at the base in order to get a better breath of air. It was like that most of the times in the stores, as well. There was one moment at Costco that I consciously paced my breathing, and it was not nearly as much of a pain in the ass as it had been.

HOWEVER, when I was at our rural post office, in between the car and the post office, I noted that I could breathe in what I typically regard as a normal amount of effort, which was very little effort required..

Cold air doesn't just carry greater concentration of oxygen per cubic inch or foot, but the colder temps also affect the airways, etc., so not sure where to lay the bulk of the evidence in this informal experiment, but I'll be passing all of this on to my Doc in the AM.

It may read as a goofy idea, but I have ample cold weather gear, and I'd rather have my nose running clear outside at -25 f., in a -40 or -50 sleeping bag, than to wake up feeling like I'll die, and contemplating ways to stop the urgency and panic.

I'll take the runny nose for $500, Alex.

Anyway, tomorrow AM I see my favorite (thus far) primary care Doc, where I hope to get as much of the needs and fears list knocked out as possible.

Had vegan lentils with chili sauce and curry for dinner. Small serving, but somewhat conventional, very tasty, and I didn't have to make the shit... So there is THAT.

On to paper work for the intake at the clinic I fly to next Wednesday; a whole 8 or 9 days away.

Peace, love, and soybeans... Which reminds me, I needed to get some firm tofu...

You see what life comes to for those of us who've abused our bodies?? TOFU????!!!!

Comment

Keep plowing, moose eater.

And here's to a positive visit with your PCP.
                            Attached Files
                            “You can disagree without being disagreeable.”
                            Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Comment

well i lost one spitball i had conjured re: sinus.
                              had surgery on a deviated septum some years back and the doc provided a saltwater sinus cleanser to wash out the blood-clots and snot that provided for a clearer/easier breathing thru the nose....if the congestion/swelling is the concern...also wondered if you might have sleep apnea affecting such.
                              noticed you didn't address the smuggling therapeutics issue and wondered if not continuing with a certain regimen would hamper the effort you've invested.
                              hopefully you will find a gem of a doc cut to the proper facets to make you sparkle again.
                              regards
                              "when i run outta weed, i smoke match sticks...
                              that first hit is FIRE!!!"

"I'm not always a dick...but when I am, I drink cheap beer".

Comment

Originally posted by trichrider View Post
                                well i lost one spitball i had conjured re: sinus.
                                had surgery on a deviated septum some years back and the doc provided a saltwater sinus cleanser to wash out the blood-clots and snot that provided for a clearer/easier breathing thru the nose....if the congestion/swelling is the concern...also wondered if you might have sleep apnea affecting such.
                                noticed you didn't address the smuggling therapeutics issue and wondered if not continuing with a certain regimen would hamper the effort you've invested.
                                hopefully you will find a gem of a doc cut to the proper facets to make you sparkle again.
                                regards
                                Hey trich.

Barely 4-1/2 hours asleep last night before the appt. this AM. Not even really complaining; my energy's half-decent, but I'll be wasted tired right about chore time this evening.

Yes, sleep apnea has been among the 'usual suspects' for years, but I never got it affirmed/confirmed. Have friends who have those sleep machines, I just never checked it out.

I gotta' make this more brief than normal, as I have 7 packets of paperwork that I received via email yesterday, for a clinic near Seattle, with whom I have a e-consult in a few hours.

Met with my Doc, and she is currently reluctant either to renew my ancient Rx for Ativan, until I try something else that is an anti-anxiety Rx, but not technically a 'controlled substance.'

I told her that, contrary to my colorful youth, too much dulling of the senses interferes with my roles, jobs, sense of being, etc., and cautioned her that I rarely take very much of anything to be affected anymore. I'm older and cheaper. So we're giving this a trial run, specifically for anxiety/panic attacks, and to see if this helps my intermittent sense of being unable to breathe.

She didn't want to prescribe an inhaler at this time. She is very familiar with outcomes, and cites a stimulant effect from inhalers that might compound current stressors.

I'm set for some chest x-rays, and a upper torso ultrasound, to determine if the gall stones are the issue in the pancreas and liver area, or if it was a misdiagnosis from the get-go, or..... "roll the credits". Meaning, who the fuck knows any more?

I want to thank you, by the way, trich. Your approach 2 posts ago was very thoughtful, and applied some valued problem solving effort. Some of your preliminary assessments were nearly identical (if not the same) as my Doc's today.

I read between the lines, and it appears you've had some time on this track, too. Or at least similar.

Anyway, here I is. Next week, Wednesday, I'll be navigating and maneuvering my way through the masses of traveling America, and looking cross-eyed at gate agents, and anyone who didn't get the social distancing memo.

Now I'm off to write my most pressing questions down for this meeting this afternoon, and do the umpteen pages of 7 packets of [paperwork they sent to me yesterday. The another intake packet for the folks I see Feb. 3, via TeleHealth, and we're closer to game time... for what ever changes in life that brings.

Onward.
                                -----------------------------------------------
                                Saw these guys in 1975 at Aquinas College in Grand Rapid, Michigan, and ran into a childhood friend there; we were both acid heads by then, and she was wearing a feather in her braided pigtails. Sally F. Incredible show..

The BIG man. Leslie West. fingers on the frets looking like logs from a cabin from halfway back in the seats.

Leslie West, Corky Laing, Felix Pappalardi, and Steven Knight;

MOUNTAIN

Live at Woodstock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOzw8ufhxE

-------------------------------------------

MOUNTAIN

For Yazgur's Farm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQoIm20sfA

-------------------------------------------

MOUNTAIN, Live, Fillmore East 1971

'Silver Paper'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bOeidWe2rI
                                Last edited by moose eater; 01-05-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X