X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Thanks trich.

Once we get older, and Medicare or similar is our resource, getting things covered can be troublesome, but stick with it.

------------------------------------

I just got a private call from a legislator who we previously did some work with, re. USA PA stuff, 20 years ago, as well as other activist efforts, back before he was sitting in the legislature.

We discussed, among other prospects, piece-meal approval of some of the lower cost items within the emergency provisions that are scheduled to die tonight, to include Telehealth appts.

He's aware of my time-line re. this appt. in Seattle, and the need to try and save money and resources for required in-person future trips, that absolutely CAN'T be done remotely, and he is headed up to an office today, to see who's around, and put some leverage on this.

We have not always been from the same side of political issues, but shared some interest and objectives in some of them, and he has offered his best effort to iron out (at least) the Telehealth issues, hopefully before Wednesday A.M. He tends to be a person who says what he knows and thinks, without a lot of white-wash.

I'm supposed to phone him back on Monday evening, (tomorrow), if I haven't heard from him or someone he is contacting.

So, while I'm not holding my breath, as there's no guarantee he can get results that quickly, there's an additional glimmer of hope that old, mostly candid relationships, may pay off; and he and I are BOTH aware that this issue affects MANY (thousands) of health-compromised Alaskans.

Keep pushing as many fronts as possible, until a good one opens up.

I now have one open, maybe, and a minor glimmer of hope for the second door to open, which might return us to the original plan, and allow us to save air miles, money, and time. Either that, or vape myself into a coma in a hotel room for 4 days. Which also doesn't sound too terribly bad at the moment.

Progress; however minor.

Edit: Spoke with my wife about resurrecting an old business license of mine, paying the fees to revive that license, and getting that back up & running, so I can formally bill ('back-charge') those who have, 3 times or more, disregarded their constraints, and billed erroneously for services they were not owed for, or had already been paid for.

"Makin' it real."

My best guess is that if such a case were to be contested, & go to a small claims or other civil court, either with a 6-person jury, or a judge, but especially with a jury, my back-charges will stand as owed to me. I guess we'll have to wait & see..

---------------------------------------

John Prine

'Lonesome Friends of Science'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRuyIexfpEk
    Last edited by moose eater; 02-14-2021, 23:25.

Leave a comment:

• trichrider
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzmobile View Post
    That's a load of troubles dumped on you, trichrider. I hope your wife heals and recovers quickly.
    thanks buzz.
    its taking a long time and we're finding no instant gratification dealing with the medical industrial complex.
    medicare though has been a godsend...she only just turned 65 last october.
    Rosanne Rosanna Danas dad said "it's always something".
    [youtubeif]9hYGtXIqDa0[/youtubeif]

Leave a comment:

• buzzmobile
    replied
    That's a load of troubles dumped on you, trichrider. I hope your wife heals and recovers quickly.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    This morning's Fairbanks Daily News Miner confirms the Governor's feet are firmly planted, and he's not going to extend the COVID-19 emergency declaration that was needed.

https://www.newsminer.com/news/local...dcf539d55.html

Meanwhile, the State Senate is sitting on a bill in committee, which I thought had been passed by the whole body, but has not. I'm told that bill will likely move quickly.

However, the bill that would match that bill, from the House side, isn't on the floor or any place else. The State House has had most of a month to get up and running for this session they are currently in (they've been in session for a month), and they haven't yet organized their body's leadership and committees formally, so there's nothing in the way of The Peoples' business coming out of their chambers; too much ego, infighting, etc., etc... again, for a month now... during what is slated to be a 90-day session, by statute.

So it's a darned good thing we made the moves we did, and arranged the alternate plans, to be finalized Monday or (more likely) Tuesday A.M.

If I volunteer to carry a pack for a person, that's a gift. If they put their pack on me when I didn't agree, and I'm already carrying my own, that's just plain old boundary-challenged opportunism, if not theft.

I ask for karma for these miscreants daily, any more.
    Last edited by moose eater; 02-14-2021, 21:18.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by trichrider View Post
    pour me some of that pity punch! Murphy done f*cked up my mojo.

our dog (friend of 15 years) suffered breast cancer the last year of his existence and was beginning to have incontinence and muscle degradation to the point of not being able to get up and/or move around. here he is in his prime:
    View Image
    he's in the ground now...sniff sniff.

the wife was attempting to feed him and tried lifting his head to do so when he bit her left hand, seriously bad...and she is arthritic...two days prior to Christmas.
    being the Babushka that she is, she deferred the doctor until after the holiday.

she went to the ER to have it cleaned and bandaged only to find they wouldn't release her. gave her the cov2 test (negative) did blood work to find she is (and has been) diabetic for some time. put her on IV antibiotics and insulin, then scheduled surgery for two days later...got the surgery, but they still would not release her as her blood pressure and blood sugar were WAY HIGH, and healing would be problematic. on top of that, there were no visitors allowed.

after four days she was let out. the Dr.s were spot on, she wasn't healing and the hand was infected, so the next week she was reemitted for another four days.

she is still dealing with BS (blood sugar) but her BP (blood pressure) is coming lower. been dealing with the anxiety and stress of learning what she can or cannot consume and what/how her body feels like...lethargy, weakness, pain, fatigue, and the anxiety of knowing Murphy (the devil) has her on his dance card.

snowed 14" over the last 36 hours, but the temperature never got below 20*. rain in the forecast for tonight...just hoping with all the snow on the trees that it won't be sleet...anticipating Murphy breaking limbs off the tall trees...at least we haven't had the 40 mph winds they predicted...

govt. might turn out to be Murphy.

giving a shout out to your lady for what she has to endure in these trying times.

[youtubeif]ojf18wT_Xtk[/youtubeif]
    Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away
    Thanks trich.

sorry to read about your wife's troubles and your dog's illness.

Not always about pity, but more so about getting really tired of paying the dues for, and having to do the jobs of the folks who didn't -do- the jobs they got paid for.

In this immediate case, the legislators who sat on their asses posturing; I now pay the cost for that. And they absolutely knew the situation they were in, and were creating.

Then yesterday, I got yet another erroneous bill from the hospital, from last year, for an account my insurance co. had already paid max allowable payment for service, and I'd already paid my end, as well as having reached my max out of pocket limit for that year, so the billing is doubly suspect and out of bounds.

But despite settling the legislature's inaction and traveling to get things done that should have been achievable without the spending of air miles (had they done their jobs), I get to, again, call the billing people hospital, telling them to do THEIR jobs, as well.

But because this is strike 2 for their office (specifically) in this regard, they'll also get the riot act and terms of service protocols that I put forth, to be formalized with certified notification of my 'policy'; if this happens a 3rd time, and they were paid to do a job they didn't do, resulting in my having to correct their job, the charge is $50/hr for my time, and extra charges for materials, postage, ink, etc.

I find that providing some incentive to corporate America has its merits & benefits. Unfortunately, all I can do with the legislators, is to wait for that opportunity when I see them out in public, and can personally inform them as to what their annual posturing and ineffectiveness has cost, and ask when my Permanent Fund Dividend will include the extra that their BS has generated?

But as far as the Government becoming my enemy in this, we already weren't friends, and there's very little they can do to reverse the current in this to make it about me. They and the media already know it's about them. So I see no threat from this being generated.

I'm currently winning in these skirmishes, despite the repetitive nature of them, and unnecessary outlay of energy to resolve things that didn't need to occur. We rolled with the punches, and overcame the obstacles thus far created by incompetence and self-absorption on the parts of the State government, the billing folks, etc. The only question is how much energy has to continue to be expended in getting others to do their jobs. But they will eventually do their jobs.

My wife's hanging in and on pretty well through al of this, and she knows where the fuck-ups are being generated, and that it's not a our home. But thanks.

Take care.

-----------------------------------------

Bruce Cockburn

'Indian Wars'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1a5DLmR8U

Leave a comment:

• trichrider
    replied
    pour me some of that pity punch! Murphy done f*cked up my mojo.

our dog (friend of 15 years) suffered breast cancer the last year of his existence and was beginning to have incontinence and muscle degradation to the point of not being able to get up and/or move around. here he is in his prime:

he's in the ground now...sniff sniff.

the wife was attempting to feed him and tried lifting his head to do so when he bit her left hand, seriously bad...and she is arthritic...two days prior to Christmas.
    being the Babushka that she is, she deferred the doctor until after the holiday.

she went to the ER to have it cleaned and bandaged only to find they wouldn't release her. gave her the cov2 test (negative) did blood work to find she is (and has been) diabetic for some time. put her on IV antibiotics and insulin, then scheduled surgery for two days later...got the surgery, but they still would not release her as her blood pressure and blood sugar were WAY HIGH, and healing would be problematic. on top of that, there were no visitors allowed.

after four days she was let out. the Dr.s were spot on, she wasn't healing and the hand was infected, so the next week she was reemitted for another four days.

she is still dealing with BS (blood sugar) but her BP (blood pressure) is coming lower. been dealing with the anxiety and stress of learning what she can or cannot consume and what/how her body feels like...lethargy, weakness, pain, fatigue, and the anxiety of knowing Murphy (the devil) has her on his dance card.

snowed 14" over the last 36 hours, but the temperature never got below 20*. rain in the forecast for tonight...just hoping with all the snow on the trees that it won't be sleet...anticipating Murphy breaking limbs off the tall trees...at least we haven't had the 40 mph winds they predicted...

govt. might turn out to be Murphy.

giving a shout out to your lady for what she has to endure in these trying times.

[youtubeif]ojf18wT_Xtk[/youtubeif]
    Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks, trout. And thanks for the 'howdy'.

Hope all's well in your 'hood.

We're looking at a warmer week than we've had in recent past here, so lots to get done in the +7 f. to + 16 f. weather coming our way.

I baked maple, ginger, soy, onion, and (heavy) garlic, (wild-caught) Alaska sockeye salmon for my son and wife tonight; an oily fish, so I had 4 small bites in minor violation of the plant-based diet. They liked the fish. So did I. Thus far, I'm otherwise doing really well, sticking to the vegan diet. Looking forward to being cancer-free, and eating a decent finely marbled, charcoal grilled, ribeye steak a few years from now, though.

Thanks again, trout.

--------------------------------------------------

An older Simon & Garfunkel, Live

'Bridge Over Troubled Water'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5gFakHeMk

Leave a comment:

• troutman
    replied
    Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A little bit of magic from the 'really big show' in '67.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qZ4qzDICg

Happy VD too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMQWwmPL2w
    Thanks, buzz.

John Sebastian had nearly completely escaped my attention lately, up until your post. Thanks.

1 of my favorite performances by him is his live Woodstock, 1969 gig, with 'Rainbows All Over Your Blues.'

Seems fitting some days more than others, but a positive tune, from a good heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ITlo6F58s

Leave a comment:

• buzzmobile
    replied
    A little bit of magic from the 'really big show' in '67.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qZ4qzDICg

Happy VD too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMQWwmPL2w

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For now, we've successfully dealt with another pop fly ball, and I have tentatively made reservations using air miles for a rd. trip for me, and myself (1 window seat, and one middle seat, to be empty the entire ride).

The seats down are still the same predictable 12,500 miles one way, each, or 25,000 miles total for the trip down. But for the flight back home, they wanted 40,000 miles per seat for Thursday evening through Saturday night, & I didn't want to spend 40,000 miles per seat from my wife's account (80,000 additional miles total for the return flight) just to get back home.

So though I am in a place in my head where being in/with familiar places and faces is almost required (though far better than it was a month or 2 ago), I'm planning on staying until Sunday later morning, to catch a flight home that requires 20,000 miles per seat, or 40,000 for both.

If air-mile tickets are canceled, the miles can be put back into the account(s) they came from & fees returned to the credit card. But if a paid ticket is cancelled, they typically bank your money for you, and no cash refund.

I was also told tonight that the practice of refunding miles for an 'empty seat' may still be requested through their Customer Care department, in the event that, after the trip, one or more of the segments was empty enough that the empty middle seat could've been achieved without 'purchasing' it. If I get a refund for the empty seat down (looking likely at the moment) then we get back 12,500 miles. For the trip home, we might get back 20,000 miles, but that flight is already fairly full, so a bit less likely to get miles returned than for the flight going down..

Very early on Tuesday, I'll be scrambling to reach someone at the Governor's office in Juneau, to try & light some fires to get this resolved, and avoid the entire trip, reverting, preferably, to the Telehealth arrangement my legislators screwed up.

Tuesday morning, the 2nd call needing to be made, will be to the scheduler for the surgeon, to find out if the appt. can be an either/or arrangement, to be clarified later (like on Wednesday) as to whether it will be in person or via Telehealth/Zoom.

If after Tuesday (mid-afternoon), the Governor's office hasn't corrected this situation, I'll be searching to find accommodations; hopefully for a decent rate, in a COVID-safe place. Though it would have to be near or in the University District.

Assuming all of that goes without a wrinkle, then one of the last calls will be to the town car service I use. Then scrambling to put together food and gear for 4 days of watching cable tv and/or playing solitaire in a hotel room. Pike Place Market is less desirable with a pandemic, otherwise it's a haunt I've hung around, off and on, for most of 40 years.

In the end, we scrambled, got past the "WTF!!!" moment, and put together some plans that might well save this encounter. But I'm definitely running out of patience for folks shitting in my Wheaties. We've rebounded successfully again, thus far.. Now we'll see what's next!! Fuck Murphy!!

----------------------------------------------------

John Prine

'How Lucky (can one man get)'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxbzdYnnqU4

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sent my messages to the State House, Senate, and Governor's office.

I still need to put together the copied and pasted email addresses for all parties involved, along with a copy of my message sent to the various offices, and corrections to the status on the Senate side, re. their bill to resolve this (not happening in time to resolve what I have going on right now, however), and hope the Governor sees the light and engages in another 30-day emergency extension to permit our legislators to get their heads out of their asses.

At this time, there's not a lot of hope the Governor will make a move to fix this, though my fingers are crossed.

In the interim, looking at getting 2 more seats each way on my primary air carrier, their Valentine's Day sale doesn't allow discounted flights until after Feb 25, and the once-upon-a-time saver awards with air miles have very few of the 12,500 mile seats available, of which I would need 4 seats; 2 down and 2 back.

So we're maneuvering through this as best as we can, waiting on a call back from the airline (call-back times were initially perceived to be an error, as they stated 6.5 hours to 9.5 hours for a call-back!!), and I can't make lodging reservations until I know I am going to be there.

Even then, I need to confirm that the surgeon in reference will and can meet with me in person, now that Telehealth seems unlikely.

Then we'll need to make the arrangements with the town car service I've developed a relationship with.

All of this cluster-fuck brought about by legislators who seem to think that posturing, C-grade acting to drive support, and re-election, trumps their duties to their constituents; the folks who elected the derelict scumbags.

If we can get all that done, then I'll likely end up staying in the area for 3 nights instead of 1, just so we can get a slightly lower rate on the use for the airmiles, and make myself available for any further tests or scans.

If successful, I'll have a day to get my gear and grub in order.

Murphy sucks.

----------------------------------------

Otis Redding, Live, 1967

'I've Been Loving You Too Long'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI_zG2eWGE4
    ----------------------------------------------
    In reconsideration, that wasn't the correct tune for this situation. More appropriate might be this one...

REO

'Keep Pushin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FTBUXT_8Rs
    Last edited by moose eater; 02-14-2021, 03:25.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Reading the above made me think of a Let It Be tune:

The Long and Winding Road

You're getting there, but man it is a long journey.
    I often (for what ever reason) incorrectly link that tune to the Hollies/Hollys??

Thanks again, buzz. Yes, the side battles and brush fires certainly stand to either build character, or, in my case, poke at already steeped resentments.

But we're moving ahead, whether successful or not.

I even found myself reframing toward quasi-magical thinking in this moment; "What if this is Murphy or the Cosmos helping to send the message that the provider I need is already on the menu, and already been met and addressed?

Doubtful, but far more positive a view than anticipating getting reamed by another collection of nearly-useless bureaucrats.

I'll tell the tumors the folks who can help to make sure this very important meeting takes place are busy, but "(their) people will (maybe) get back to my people, and we can do lunch some time."

Thanks again, buzz.

-----------------------------------

The Beet-ulls, Live, Broadcast via BBC, I believe.

'Let it Be'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6X3IWLECY
    '

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by trichrider View Post
    "But otherwise a good day. No panic attacks, racing pulse, etc."

you're due for a reprieve...

[youtubeif]A_t59To7Snk[/youtubeif]

Thanks trich.

The Farner Bros., from Flint Michigan. Beautiful tune by them.

I was at a Jr. High dance, a youngster, afraid, hiding in dimply lit places, avoiding embarrassment (or so I thought), when the band on the stage was doing that tune ('Closer to Home'/'I'm Your Captain'), and in my awkward avoidance of anything that might be too emotionally risky, I stepped onto their bundle of power cords, and inadvertently unplugged everybody; mics/PA, instruments, etc.

Like getting too nervous about falling from a precarious perch to the extent that the person's legs give way, and.. they increase the risk of falling.

-------------------

Got ahold of ONE representative's aid so far this AM. They had all office phones forwarded to their cell, and we spent a great deal of time talking about the status of Alaska's emergency orders, and the barriers that are currently present in this ordeal.

There are stand-offs of sorts right now with this issue, but I intend to get ahold of ALL of them, and let them know that their posturing, whether displacement of legal boundaries, or trying to shift accountability for more spending of money, is literally costing lives if they don't get their heads removed from their asses.

As an activist, my relationship with many of these actors was tentative at best, and now I need to reach out, create some sort of unified understanding or image, and emphasize that this dance they're currently engaged in goes way beyond the average legislative C-grade theater, and now stands to place many persons at significantly greater risk.

I won't write where my thoughts go to in re. to this framing of the issues, but it's not a good place. Not at all.

-----------------------------------------

I received what may or may not be a functional 'shotgun email address' for the entirety of the Alaska State House and Senate, and will be trying that shortly, to save some time and effort. If it ONLY works from inside -their- mail system, and the messages bounce back, then it'll be a matter of individually loading a BUNCH of individual email addresses into a couple emails, but tie is time, and tomorrow is the deadline.

And as my experience thus far this morning shows, very few office staffers are going to be making themselves available on a holiday week-end, that also incorporates Valentine's Day.

I was very fortunate that the first effort resulted in a person answering, who takes their salaried position seriously, and sees themselves very much as being a servant to the constituency.

So cancer & pine injuries have caused me to be an advocate for myself within the healthcare system, by necessity, and now have me putting back on my activist hat, with at least as much of a personal stake in the issue as I've ever had previously.

Swatting mosquitos and playing whack-a-mole, where lives are literally concerned and in the proverbial balance, and trying to remind representatives and senators that partisan-ism and re-election's benefits to their egos were not why they were elected; they were elected to represent US!!!

Fingers crossed, but realism in place. Forward we go.. how ever paced it may be..

--------------------------------------

Tommy James & The Shondells

'Crimson & Clover'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhgw6ggYkQg
    Last edited by moose eater; 02-13-2021, 20:59.

Leave a comment:

• trichrider
    replied
    "But otherwise a good day. No panic attacks, racing pulse, etc."

you're due for a reprieve...

[youtubeif]A_t59To7Snk[/youtubeif]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X