X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OkThen View Post
    Hey Moose,
    Well that's a mighty big chunk of reality to bite off in one swallow. Glad to see your progress in refining some herb. Maybe when a timeline for events is established, evidence of a positive outcome will be available before moving on to the next step. We all make decisions the best we can with our current perception of the universe as we understand it.

Every day is a gift.
    Blessings to you and yours.
    Thanks OK.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a blood-draw for a PSA and A1C tests, along with others, to put a preliminary assessment to the broccoli sprouts and extract/cannabis butter trials.

I figure if the broccoli sprouts/sulforaphane and THC are working even a little bit like they do for some, then I should see a noteworthy drop in both the A1C and PSA scores.

If no changes, then it might be a bit sobering, but I'll continue with the planned regimen in any case, to avoid being too impatient.

Hope your recent scans continue to show a reprieve from the harshness of the malignant hitch-hikers in your body.

Re. the choice of options, I figure that if what I was told re. only getting one opportunity for radiation is true, and if I want to maximize my options/'ammunition', then I should start with what ever has the fewest long-term side-effects, and what ever leaves the door open for other modalities of treatment, should Murphy step into this thing any more.

Any side-effects from surgery are more immediate, but so is the intervention, and then there's time to regain what ever is lost (temporarily?? I hope??) in the process of recuperation..

Right now, adding hormone suppression tx, to come before radiation, loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, potential loss of other functions, a more paced or slower approach to sending a memo to the cancer, letting it know it's not welcome, etc., all just sounds like too damned many irons in the fire at one time; too many wild cards in that deck..

Right now I'm trying to turn major crests and peaks into speed bumps, and one way to do that is make each movement a bit more contained or smaller. Otherwise it has a greater possibility to become more overwhelming than it needs to be..

Comment

Yesterday's MRI was for a separate issue (spinal cord and constriction in the vertebrae), but the RN getting me prepped recognized me from the previous week's MRI; becoming well-known and recognizable at an imaging center is probably not what my mother had in mind when she hoped for me to become famous one day, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Anyway, they are apparently almost as limited in their IV needles as they are in XL size nitrile gloves. She got the 1st IV's needle into my arm on the first attempt, but the IV portion of the 'stick' wouldn't advance.

While she was poking and prodding at my arm (I didn't look, but could feel what was going on. Having played with syringes as a 15 and 16 y.o., decades ago, they hold no mystery or attraction to me, and I don't watch as they're administered), she engaged in a discussion with another radiology dept. person, about looking through the limited IV rigs in their drawer to try and find a more suitable size needle..

She stated they had a 24 gauge in my arm now (2nd attempt), implying the first one was bigger than that. The second one went in with no hassle, and no tugging on my veins in the process. 24-gauge is what they've typically been using for my IVs. No telling what size the 1st effort was, but it wasn't right, I know that much.

On the bright side, they have a decent selection of later '60s and early 1970's rock-n-roll in their play list, so, when the machine was quiet enough for me to hear the head-set's ear phones, the music was pretty decent. Bowie, Traffic, and much more that I can't remember at the moment.

Anyway, upon getting dressed, and removing the bandage they'd put on my arm where the IV efforts took place, sure enough, there was a notable amount of blood dried to the inside of my right elbow.

I normally ask persons hitting me with an IV or needle if they spent any time as a whaling captain off the NW Coast of Alaska...

Just making sure in a humorous manner that they know the difference between a harpoon and a tiny needle/syringe, and the significant differences in purpose..

When they get flustered by that question, rather than humored, or if they develop a minor sense of panic when I ask them how many years they've been sticking people, I get worried.

If a person asking about your credentials makes you panic, you need to deal with someone else other than me...

On the other hand, sometimes my humor has helped to create unnecessary and unhelpful circumstances... Failure to gauge contextual setting is important.

Anyway, I figure, as I wrote before, if they're going to torpedo the ACA, then I may as well begin getting everything I know I need done, done, whether related to cancer, torn shoulder tissue I've carried around for almost 20 years, or any minor glitches in the spine surgery and the spinal cord's apparent displeasure with this life.

On that note, I'm going to park this bag of macadamia nuts, finish my glass of Malbec, find a pipe with some scissor hash in it, and contemplate decarbing the CBD bud and some THC flowers tomorrow, and MAYBE even cooking down some extract from the 2 batches... We'll see. But the weather folks at NOAA have extended our high temp forecast into tomorrow, carrying forward with the calls for the +20 f. temps we enjoyed today..

Small favors, such as the reprieve from the recent weather, and related forecasts, are as welcome as ever.

Comment

Awe man.i kinda know that feeling you were going through not knowing what guage of needle to use.ive had to detox bunches of times.i remember the damn nurse took like 20 minutes just to hook the IV up.i guess in their defense I was so dehydrated they had a hard time finding a vein.but I was bruised on my arm for a good 2 weeks.everytime I get a good nurse who does it right I let them know they did a good job.havent had to detox in a while though and even if I could I wouldn't.im not stepping in a damn hospital.no room anyway

It's good to see your taking it like a champ.scary shit for sure but if my grandpa could manage prostate cancer I know you can.im just wondering how geneticly predispositioned I am gonna get it.but it's like that Joe Walsh song.one day at a time.thats all we can do brother
        I AM THE LIQUOR!
        MASTER OF SHITPUPPETS
        the only difference between me and you is a couple of drinks

Comment

I'm following along, moose eater.
          “The sun will eclipse soon unless you sacrifice the prince consort to the goddess of the moon.”
          Hans Bornefeld

Comment

Originally posted by shithawk420 View Post
            Awe man.i kinda know that feeling you were going through not knowing what guage of needle to use.ive had to detox bunches of times.i remember the damn nurse took like 20 minutes just to hook the IV up.i guess in their defense I was so dehydrated they had a hard time finding a vein.but I was bruised on my arm for a good 2 weeks.everytime I get a good nurse who does it right I let them know they did a good job.havent had to detox in a while though and even if I could I wouldn't.im not stepping in a damn hospital.no room anyway

It's good to see your taking it like a champ.scary shit for sure but if my grandpa could manage prostate cancer I know you can.im just wondering how geneticly predispositioned I am gonna get it.but it's like that Joe Walsh song.one day at a time.thats all we can do brother
            Thanks 'hawk.

The sense I got listening to the conversation, but looking the other way, was that they were THAT limited re. the IV needles. Once upon a time, my veins had no issues with 16-gauge needles. These days a 24-gauge is likely the better fit.

but it's a statement as to how thin some departments are running in some hospitals and clinics, and, as stated, not just shortages of PPE, but when there's ONE appropriate-size IV stick in a whole drawer, and folks looking can be heard in the bottom of the drawer, sliding the items here and there in their search.

4 out of 4 visits they've insisted I take off my sterilized nitrile gloves that are 2 x's the thickness of theirs, only to realize they have no XL or XXL nitrile, and they have to go scurrying around to other departments or offices to 'borrow' gloves.

None of this bodes well for the effect a lengthy stint of COVID-19 has had on healthcare facilities. Like going into a restaurant and finding they have no silverware, no plates, no napkins, but you can order some food anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmobile View Post
              I'm following along, moose eater.
              Thanks buzz. I see your rep here and there, and figured you were in the bleachers.

Hoping to get my head out of my ass today and find the energy to decarb 2 jars each of the flowers, 2 CBD and 2 THC, then, if I end up needing to delay the cooking f the solvent, I can at least eat the flower ground up in more easily measured increments, and, assuming the assessment on the outside of the CBD flower is correct, 1 gram of their decarbed flower has 140 mg of CBD.

So I can use that calculation and similar measurements for the THC flower as well, and either mix it in with broccoli sprouts and a salad, or down it in some other way that doesn't feel like eating desert sand.

Forward... I think....

Comment

The bleachers were uncomfortable so I moved to the Peanut Gallery. Forward, back, sideways and start over is what it seemed like to me during diagnosis and before beginning treatments. Here's to a clear head and a strong heart.
                “The sun will eclipse soon unless you sacrifice the prince consort to the goddess of the moon.”
                Hans Bornefeld

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmobile View Post
                  The bleachers were uncomfortable so I moved to the Peanut Gallery. Forward, back, sideways and start over is what it seemed like to me during diagnosis and before beginning treatments. Here's to a clear head and a strong heart.
                  Yeah, I suspect in the near future, when the time is right, a dose or 2 of some John Allen Strain psilocybin I put away in cold storage years ago, may have to come into play, as far as readying the mind for surrender to the chosen path.

Might be an excellent summer ahead to find a hole to camp in out in the bush, for those times I'm a less-than-congenial individual.

4 months from now, my younger son and I would normally be headed into the Wrangell-St. Elias Range to do our late winter remote lake trout ice fishing, so I intend to try and arrange for any debilitating procedures to fall to either side of that time-period.

Comment

- a very good friend of mine has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer - one of the mods here - so I aimed him at this thread - hopefully he will join you guys here to talk about it - don't want to lose him -
                    'It can all start from a seed'

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy Nirvana View Post
                      - a very good friend of mine has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer - one of the mods here - so I aimed him at this thread - hopefully he will join you guys here to talk about it - don't want to lose him -
                      Tell them that (despite my posts in here being the most frequent) there's a small group of us misfits in here, whose bodies don't have the common sense to quit growing cells we don't need, over-achievers every damned one of us, and they're welcome to join in.

I looked into the tx you referenced in your rep note. I hadn't ever heard of it before, but then, a lot of this is BRAND new to me, too.

The first reference to it I found, near the top of my search list, was dated in 2008, and seemed more theoretical than not. Then there were some from known names in the medical field, dated 2015.

There's a lot to learn here I think, and for anyone racing the proverbial gun to get growth stopped before it takes more than it leaves, it can be an up hill learning curve.... even without dealing with symptoms of the illness or emotions that tap the energy before anything can really get done.

Someone else had mentioned proton accelerator beam therapy, and I've spoken with a couple Docs about that, as well. The radiological oncologist Doc regarded the proton accelerator beam therapy as more or less the same thing as radiation therapy, but at 2.5 times the cost.

He stated the insurance companies don't want to pay $100,000 for accelerated proton beam therapy, when they can pay $40,000 for standard old radiation therapy.

But he said the clinics doing the accelerated proton beam tx would advocate on the patient's behalf, where the insurance company resistance is/was concerned.

I figure that in my case, if the cancer is relatively contained to the right side, then I'll probably initially opt for surgery, and save the other options for later, if I should wake up one day and find it's coming back for seconds..

But yeah, there's been some real gems.

Among them, yesum's post re. sulforaphane (sprouted broccoli seeds). I've turned friends in Canada onto the limited research we've read re. that plan, and there's now numerous others who are trying this, as a result of yesum sharing their information with us, and our sharing it with others.

In my opinion, depending on how many close friends or support persons an individual has around them, commiseration, comradery, sharing of information, talking about fears and unknowns that lead to fear, etc., is all important, though I can only speak accurately for myself.

Sometimes just venting is the ticket.

It's easy to personalize it, and perceive it as yet another moment when Murphy decided to screw someone's day up, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the whole thing, too.

Lately I've been sleeping 10-14 hours a day, after a half-century of not sleeping worth a damn. And I know that while the initial benefit of this is AOK, as the immune system relies on sleep to recharge, I also know that sleep can increase to unhelpful levels as a matter of depression. Tell them to keep an eye on that.

And as Red Green would've said, "Remember to keep your stick on the ice, and we're pulling for you. And if the women don't find you handsome, they can at least find you handy."

Comment

- Thanks moose - you are a godsend - <and I don't believe in gods - lol>

Comment

Perhaps one of the most beautiful versions of this tune I have heard, aside from Van 'The Man' Morrison's original cut.

Warren Haynes and the Allman Bros. Band

Orpheum Theatre, Boston, Massachusetts, December 3, 2011

'Into the Mystic'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOwB...tGHgo&index=14

Comment

Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit-Bag, and Smile, Smile, Smile -
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqabF3TAV0Y

*this song is from WW1 - imagine being a young man - sitting in a cold, flooded trench - with bombs raining down around you - carnage everywhere - and singing this song - to keep your moral up -

Comment

That was my friend who had the proton accelerator his surgeons bad rapped it too
                              The clinic did help him get the ins to pay
                              Also they only take early stage patients which he barely qualified for
                              There’s a lot of rental homes on lake Monroe there around Bloomington
                              What ever you choose I wish you the best friend
                              Kindness is Not Canceled

Comment

Originally posted by Rodehazrd View Post
                                That was my friend who had the proton accelerator his surgeons bad rapped it too
                                The clinic did help him get the ins to pay
                                Also they only take early stage patients which he barely qualified for
                                There’s a lot of rental homes on lake Monroe there around Bloomington
                                What ever you choose I wish you the best friend
                                Thanks.

Yes, it seems that for each stage of cancer, there's a potentially different treatment or combination of treatments.

Comment

Working...
                                X