What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do we increase the immunity of our body?

G

Drinking kefir daily helps increase the proportion of healthy bacteria in your gut and as a result improve your overall gut health. 70 percent of the cells that make up the immune system are located in the gut, the probiotics in kefir have been shown to strengthen your immune system, as well as combat inflammation. I dont particularly like the taste of kefir so I make a smoothie with 1 banana and a spoonfull of jam plus 1 cup kefir. I make my own kefir as the store bought stuff has probably been sitting on the shelf for a while.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
One thing is to expose yourself to germs. Don't use antibacterial soaps. A small cut is not the end of the world.

Unless you get tetanus, or some other infection.

I think just having a healthy lifestyle helps; eating properly (reduced processed foods), getting enough sleep and exercise. Getting the childhood vaccines where natural immunity won't do the trick.

Last edited:

Three Berries

Unless you get tetanus, or some other infection.

I think just having a healthy lifestyle helps; eating properly (reduced processed foods), getting enough sleep and exercise. Getting the childhood vaccines where natural immunity won't do the trick.

The way to avoid tetanus is to get small cuts and minor infections. And if you are working and get cut, grease and oily grime make a temporary protectant/disinfectant.

Another great natural disinfectant/pain killer is a tea made from tobacco. Apply to wound wet and keep wet.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The way to avoid tetanus is to get small cuts and minor infections. And if you are working and get cut, grease and oily grime make a temporary protectant/disinfectant.

Another great natural disinfectant/pain killer is a tea made from tobacco. Apply to wound wet and keep wet.

No, prior to tetanus shots and antibiotics people died from such infections. It's all very well to advocate natural immunity, and in this sterile world it's good for kids to play in the dirt. But if you get serious infection, you need modern medicine.

Probably worth saying too, that people should not get their health advice from members of a pot site (me included).

BudToaster

Veteran
well, i enjoy the diversity of advice. often makes me rethink my premises and reasoning steps. and gotta love the confirmation bias, too. a lot of advice is just wrong, even from the "professionals" who should know better - evidence based medicine, yo.

St. Phatty

I was reading somewhere that around 60% of the people who get Covid are vitamin D deficient.

Especially people who are obese.

They have to take a lot more Vitamin D, because it is fat soluble.

They can take 1 or 2 supplements, think they've "moved the ticker" (of Vitamin D levels), and STILL be Vitamin D Deficient.

THE BRIGHT SIDE: We can harvest their fat, like a whale, because it contains Vitamin D. Though technically that would be cannibalism.

Three Berries

I take three vitamin D tabs a day unless I'm out in the sun a lot. Being on the diet I am, (low carb hi fat hi fiber) I use all my fat to replace glucose in place of carbs. So no where to store it. Zinc and aspirin daily. 6 fiber caps a day too. I really cut down on my actual food intake and it's hard to get a 'low carb balanced' diet.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Some of you may be interested in fasting to assist immunity. I've been following the work of Valter Longo, a longevity researcher for a while and found this. I used to fast regularly and need to start doing it again.
Fasting needs to be done intelligently so if you are doing this please research extensively. Probably worth getting medical advice before thinking about it.

Home » What and when we eat affects our immune system. Here’s how.
shutterstock_1111363628-clock-plate-fasting_small-900x448.jpg
What and when we eat affects our immune system. Here’s how.

Professor Valter Longo, director of the USC Longevity Institute, is investigating how fasting and diets that mimic fasting’s effects can help immune function, including vaccine efficacy and the body’s response to infection by viruses such as influenza and the novel coronavirus.
BY BETH NEWCOMB | April 22, 2020
Valter-Longo.jpg
Professor Valter Longo
Professor Valter Longo, director of the USC Longevity Institute, is investigating how fasting and diets that mimic fasting’s effects can help immune function, including vaccine efficacy and the body’s response to infection by viruses such as influenza and eventually COVID-19.

Fasting and fasting mimicking diets appear to “get rid of damaged or mis­guided cells and replace them with younger and more effective immune cells,” he says, improving many signs of health in mice.

The Longo laboratory is demonstrating that cycles of fasting or fasting-mimick­ing diets, followed by refeeding a normal diet, promote stem cell-dependent rejuvenation of the immune system in old mice. Early clinical trials show this process of “cleaning up” older white blood cells during short periods of fasting, then spurring the restoration of the normal levels of the infection-fighting cells when fasting stops, may also happen in humans, providing potential health benefits.

Longo says these findings support clinical trials to deter­mine whether they are effective in improv­ing immune system function in elderly humans without causing detrimental side effects and increasing vaccination efficacy in older adults. Upcoming trials will test the fasting-mimicking diet’s effect on flu, and, if funded and when it becomes available, coronavirus vaccination in humans, he adds.

Vaccine efficacy is an especially important issue for older adults due to immunosenescence – the gradual decline of immune system function with age – and the higher risk of serious complications from viral infection. On average, the seasonal flu vaccine has a response rate of slightly above 50 percent, meaning almost half of older vaccine recipients don’t make enough antibodies to successfully fight the virus.

Some early findings also indicate that fasting could provide mice with more resistance to viral infection itself. “We want to see if certain dietary interventions that can make a virus less infectious or cause fewer negative effects,” Longo says.

Earlier trials of the fasting-mimicking diet reduced cardiovascular disease risk factors, including blood pressure and signs of inflammation (measured by C-reactive protein levels), as well as fasting glucose and reduced levels of IGF-1, a hormone that affects metabolism. It also shrank waistlines and resulted in weight loss, both in total body fat and trunk fat, but not in muscle mass. In cancer patients, the fasting-mimicking diet appeared to sensitize cancer cells to chemotherapy and lessen treatment side effects.

Trial participants on the special diet were required to eat food products supplied by the nutrition company L-Nutra during fasting periods of just five days each month. The diet, which was designed to mimic the results of a water-only fast, allowed for participants to consume between 750 and 1,100 calories per day. The meals for the fast-mimicking diet contained precise proportions of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.

While many of the results are promising, Longo cautions that any kind of fasting or fasting-mimicking diet should only be undertaken with a doctor’s guidance in those that have diagnosed diseases or suspect having a disease. Sheltering in place during the COVID-19 pandemic may provide an opportunity for individuals to try a fast or fasting-mimicking diet especially those who are overweight or are gaining weight, but he advises that the most important thing to do in the face of potential illness is to stay well-nourished in general, especially for the essential workers who are at the highest risk for exposure.

Longo encourages a balanced pescatarian or Mediterranean diet versus long-term restrictive, low-calorie dieting. The immune system can get depressed with a poor diet or a diet that is too restrictive, he says. “This is not the time to push yourself to the limit.”
https://gero.usc.edu/2020/04/22/fast...stem-function/

St. Phatty

I take three vitamin D tabs a day unless I'm out in the sun a lot. Being on the diet I am, (low carb hi fat hi fiber) I use all my fat to replace glucose in place of carbs. So no where to store it. Zinc and aspirin daily. 6 fiber caps a day too. I really cut down on my actual food intake and it's hard to get a 'low carb balanced' diet.

Why do you think you need Supplemental Zinc ?

Zinc is slightly neurotoxic.

If you take 30 mg of Zinc Piccolinate as a supplement, it works out to about 76 Million Zinc ions per cell.

Of course not all the Zinc makes it across the cell wall.

The question I'm waiting for some molecular biologist or Virologist to answer - how many Zinc ions do you need in a human cell to get the desired anti-viral activity ?

I got interested in it about 7 years ago, when I watched a bunch of workers using torches to cut up Galvanized steel. It created noticeable fumes and I left the shop where it was happening.

Basically Zinc is slightly neurotoxic, like Aluminum. But your cells need Zinc, for the immune system to deal with Viruses.

Probably you get enough Zinc in your diet. Nuts, potatoes, and a lot of other vegetables have Zinc as a micro-nutrient.

THE MATH

Zinc atomic weight 65 grams per mole
6 x 10^23

30 mg =
4.6153846153846153846153846153 846e-4

.00046 moles

.00277 x 10^23
2.8 x 10^20, 28 x 10^19

# of cells in the human body
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...e-in-your-body
37 Trillion = 3.7 x 10^12

==> 7.5675675675675675675675675675 676
7.6 x 10^7 Zinc ions or atoms per cell.

ion

My 2cent.

--I've read enough about zinc to realize you have to be careful if taking additional supplements with it in there, worth looking into.

--since yer all a bunch of pot growers.......ingesting cannabis in the myriad ways is a serious boost to overall wellness, and immunity in general.

--big factor in understanding your personal take on immunity is toxin buildup. if you been carting your body around like normal people and you been here awhile you've been exposed to serious toxins from all round your environment, foods, water, air, 'medicines'......unless you go about an intense cleansing this invisible factor kinda sits there waiting for the right catalyst.....

--nutrition is really the main culprit. or advantage, depending on your intake. food pyramids and FDA rec dailies are good for the masses i suppose......whole foods, unprocessed real stuff, the body-machine thing works very well when you dont put garbage in it and give it nutrition it wants and needs. absolutely amazing what doing this alone can bring about in yer health.

--obvious stuff is a no-brainer and essential for strong immunity; fresh air, exercise/move to get your heart rate elevated daily, walking on bare ground......reams of knowledge about electricity and the body, def. not widely 'accepted' though

Originally posted by Three Berries View Post
One thing is to expose yourself to germs. Don't use antibacterial soaps. A small cut is not the end of the world.

--This/\ someone else mentioned the taboo of taboos; terrain theory. do not fear germs, you'd be dead w/o them. the germ theory was a great marketing technique for 'medicines' in the 1800s, and business is the world religion these days, thats why you have the modern medical industrial complex.

There's actually a documentary coming out called Terrain the film, might be worth a look. if you want to know more about terrain vs germ theory, look into antoine BeChamp.

--Wim Hof method.....if you dont know about him def. worth the effort to take a look.

----best of luck, your body is much smarter than you. let it do it's job and things are usually pretty Fn fine. cheers!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
my latest discovery is making a lemon pure' out of WHOLE LEMONS - then using it with warm water to make a delicious drink - you could also add fresh ginger - turmeric - and peppercorns - and even stevia - if you like it sweeter - amongst other things -

Dr Eric Berg describes the technicalities of why its a good idea -

Amazing Benefits of Eating WHOLE Lemons - Peel, White Part and Seeds - YouTube

h.h.

Veteran
well, i enjoy the diversity of advice. often makes me rethink my premises and reasoning steps. and gotta love the confirmation bias, too. a lot of advice is just wrong, even from the "professionals" who should know better - evidence based medicine, yo.

Yeah but. There isn’t much replacement for dedication and education. There’s a guy living on the street corner who says he can save my soul. Maybe I should listen? Then I could live on the street corner.

BudToaster

Veteran
Yeah but. There isn’t much replacement for dedication and education. There’s a guy living on the street corner who says he can save my soul. Maybe I should listen? Then I could live on the street corner.

if your friend on the street is a professional soul safer, then yeah, go for it if you need soul saving ... report back on the results, please.

Goldboyd

Eating healthy certaintly helps with immunity

Attachments

• photo2114707.jpg
    photo2114707.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2114708.jpg
    photo2114708.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2114709.jpg
    photo2114709.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 44