What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Raw Cannabis, CBGa?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I've been watching a few videos run by Nimbin Hemp Embassy, which is an Australian organisation based in the alternative town of Nimbin. In Australia, we are way behind the US and Canada in terms of medical. One of the speakers advocates eating raw cannabis (he says, "just like a goat?"), and making oil out of the raw full plant, leaf and buds.. He refers to it as a precurser cannabinol, CBGa. This will obviously not get you high, but he claims that it is very good medicinally. Can anyone confirm this or have any experience around this? I always thought eating raw flower would lead to an upset stomach.

I also seem to remember someone years ago who juiced raw cannabis for some autoimmune condition.

Anyway here is the vid. You only have to watch the first few minutes to get the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Ak4cdEivc

I also found this site;
https://thecbdinsider.com/knowledge-center/cbg-benefits/

romanoweed

upset stommage? not shure, Animals literally love Cannabis, here they fed it to Cows , en masse. I heard it helps their stommage. Balances everything. Cant say if for Humans too

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I'm not sure if eating raw cannabis would do you any harm but if it has fully developed buds with a nice resin coating it's going to be a pretty nasty taste to deal with. I can see someone throwing it up but more because of the taste and how hard it is to choke down. The preferred way to ingest cannabis is to cook it into something either by grinding it into a powder and mixing it into something like cookies or brownies or better yet extract the resin first so you don't have to deal with all the non active plant matter and things like chlorophyll. One way is to make it into what is called canna butter where you boil it with butter for a several hours. Then you strain out the plant matter and end up with water and melted butter infused with all the active ingredients from the plant. Let it cool and the butter will rise to the top and harden then you drain off the water and you're left with a block of butter infused with marijuana resin. Then use that cannabutter as you would normally do in making brownies, cookies or most any dish or baked good that uses lots of butter.

The thing to be careful of is the dosing, done right most edible forms of cannabis infused food is very potent but it can take a while to hit (sometimes an hour or more depending in the individuals metabolism and digestive process). The common problem that crops up is that people will eat one or two cookies or brownies, wait about 20-30 minutes and decide they aren't feeling anything because they didn't eat enough and so they eat some more. Eventually it starts to hit them but usually at that point they've eaten too much. Weed when it is ingested has a much more powerful effect then when smoked and the high is not quite the same. Often times with inexperienced users this leads to a state of panic and fear that they are dying and they end up in the emergency room. Pretty much every story you here of someone thinking they overdosed on weed and end up in the ER, starts with them eating too much because they didn't wait long enough for it to take effect. Let's say you made a batch of cannabis infused cookies the smart way to do it is to start with just one cookie and then wait an hour to 90 minutes. If after that time you don't feel anything then eat one more cookie and repeat this process until you figure out the right dosage. Again when done right one or two cookies or brownies should be enough. One other then to watch out for is that when eaten the high you get is not only stronger but it also lasts for a long time so until you figure out the optimal dosage for you it's best not the eat cannabis infused food when you have to be straight in a couple of hours.

Another way is to make oil in a process similar to cannabutter using what is known as the Rick Simpson oil method. Just look up Rick Simpson oil in your favorite search engine and you should find all sorts of links about Rick Simpson's story, why he got started and how to make your own oil using his method. Now I've never personally tried his oil but I have seen videos of him making it and giving it to people to treat all sorts of medical problems. In the videos I saw it appeared that the end product was a thick dark oil that people would pour into a tablespoon and take orally like other liquid medicines. I imagine it tastes pretty unpleasant but then again so does a lot of well established liquid medicines. Most people can manage to choke down a table spoon or two of something that tastes nasty and they will continue to do it if it gives them the benefit/relief that they seek. There are some pretty amazing stories from people who have used Rick Simpson's oil to treat all sorts of health problems.

St. Phatty

For sure, Raw Cannabis is nutritious. Would go slow, in case you are one of the few that might get high from it.

I'm right in the middle of planting 4 Cannabis plants in an Animal Pen, so they (mostly birds) can have shade and eat the lower branches.

Many animals LOVE raw cannabis. There is obviously something in it that their bodies respond to.

romanoweed

yes, i can only reffere to Animals, Cannabis IS used to feed them en Masse- Some contries it was then forbidden, cause THC showed in the Milk of Cows. Farmers were upset cause it was there preffered Food. haha, true

But we are Humans, and its not neccesarly the same benefitial for us, since what we eat is rarely the Leaves of a Plant (Well Salad we doo). But given that say Peppermint have strong effect for your Throat, (smoked Menthol Cigarettes, and Throat doesent hurt when yoh have a cold), given that i could imagine a similar effect, on your inside, the stommage at least and helping to balance things out.
Just saying there might be potential, and probably not cause the THc, probably cause of thousand other compounds in it.

So, principially i think it might help balance your Stommage, and this while not making you very high (so a special balance of the active Compounds), however, a certain amount of thc might still be absorbed, depending how much Food-Oils you eaten .

I heard of a crazy "freak" wich eats it everyday, plus is on a Diet of most other Things. Pretty crazy. I recall he eats it as salade, so if a Reciepe is the most eatable, then probably salad.

Ive gotten Hemp-Leafe Powder and other eatable products, such as Seeds. The powder was very hard to eat (in Cake). So, cannabis has a very hard to eat Taste, nearly uneatable.
But i found out that Seeds, freshly Shredded at home, in Water, taste very good.
So, i came to the conclusion that this Hemp-powder was a horrible product.
And i guess the only people who buy this buy it out a Mindset.
So, i tell you the type of Reciepe is VERY crutial. Im convinced you have to PROCESS it freshly, thats what i can say for shure. (dont break it up untill you cook it). And try a salade . Or with seeds shredded in water, tastes like coconut water and is the most nutrientrich Product on the Planet i heard from indipendet Doctors..

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I'm not sure if eating raw cannabis would do you any harm but if it has fully developed buds with a nice resin coating it's going to be a pretty nasty taste to deal with. I can see someone throwing it up but more because of the taste and how hard it is to choke down. The preferred way to ingest cannabis is to cook it into something either by grinding it into a powder and mixing it into something like cookies or brownies or better yet extract the resin first so you don't have to deal with all the non active plant matter and things like chlorophyll. One way is to make it into what is called canna butter where you boil it with butter for a several hours. Then you strain out the plant matter and end up with water and melted butter infused with all the active ingredients from the plant. Let it cool and the butter will rise to the top and harden then you drain off the water and you're left with a block of butter infused with marijuana resin. Then use that cannabutter as you would normally do in making brownies, cookies or most any dish or baked good that uses lots of butter.

The thing to be careful of is the dosing, done right most edible forms of cannabis infused food is very potent but it can take a while to hit (sometimes an hour or more depending in the individuals metabolism and digestive process). The common problem that crops up is that people will eat one or two cookies or brownies, wait about 20-30 minutes and decide they aren't feeling anything because they didn't eat enough and so they eat some more. Eventually it starts to hit them but usually at that point they've eaten too much. Weed when it is ingested has a much more powerful effect then when smoked and the high is not quite the same. Often times with inexperienced users this leads to a state of panic and fear that they are dying and they end up in the emergency room. Pretty much every story you here of someone thinking they overdosed on weed and end up in the ER, starts with them eating too much because they didn't wait long enough for it to take effect. Let's say you made a batch of cannabis infused cookies the smart way to do it is to start with just one cookie and then wait an hour to 90 minutes. If after that time you don't feel anything then eat one more cookie and repeat this process until you figure out the right dosage. Again when done right one or two cookies or brownies should be enough. One other then to watch out for is that when eaten the high you get is not only stronger but it also lasts for a long time so until you figure out the optimal dosage for you it's best not the eat cannabis infused food when you have to be straight in a couple of hours.

Another way is to make oil in a process similar to cannabutter using what is known as the Rick Simpson oil method. Just look up Rick Simpson oil in your favorite search engine and you should find all sorts of links about Rick Simpson's story, why he got started and how to make your own oil using his method. Now I've never personally tried his oil but I have seen videos of him making it and giving it to people to treat all sorts of medical problems. In the videos I saw it appeared that the end product was a thick dark oil that people would pour into a tablespoon and take orally like other liquid medicines. I imagine it tastes pretty unpleasant but then again so does a lot of well established liquid medicines. Most people can manage to choke down a table spoon or two of something that tastes nasty and they will continue to do it if it gives them the benefit/relief that they seek. There are some pretty amazing stories from people who have used Rick Simpson's oil to treat all sorts of health problems.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, HempKat. I am well aware of cooking and consuming edibles. However once you cook it, the CBGa converts into THC and CBD. I was more interested in what happens without heat and the health benefits of the raw cannabis. It is claimed that Raw cannabis can have similar, if not greater health benefits than cooked, including for pain. Of course it will not get you high in the raw form. I don't have anything against getting high, but I am interested in getting some health benefits during the day when I don't have to worry about being high and dealing with people.

The guy in the video I posted advocates both eating raw cannabis, and infusing raw cannabis into olive oil (without carboxylation). I would be curious if any members had tried this, or had any other information.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
yes, i can only reffere to Animals, Cannabis IS used to feed them en Masse- Some contries it was then forbidden, cause THC showed in the Milk of Cows. Farmers were upset cause it was there preffered Food. haha, true

But we are Humans, and its not neccesarly the same benefitial for us, since what we eat is rarely the Leaves of a Plant (Well Salad we doo). But given that say Peppermint have strong effect for your Throat, (smoked Menthol Cigarettes, and Throat doesent hurt when yoh have a cold), given that i could imagine a similar effect, on your inside, the stommage at least and helping to balance things out.
Just saying there might be potential, and probably not cause the THc, probably cause of thousand other compounds in it.

So, principially i think it might help balance your Stommage, and this while not making you very high (so a special balance of the active Compounds), however, a certain amount of thc might still be absorbed, depending how much Food-Oils you eaten .

I heard of a crazy "freak" wich eats it everyday, plus is on a Diet of most other Things. Pretty crazy. I recall he eats it as salade, so if a Reciepe is the most eatable, then probably salad.

Ive gotten Hemp-Leafe Powder and other eatable products, such as Seeds. The powder was very hard to eat (in Cake). So, cannabis has a very hard to eat Taste, nearly uneatable.
But i found out that Seeds, freshly Shredded at home, in Water, taste very good.
So, i came to the conclusion that this Hemp-powder was a horrible product.
And i guess the only people who buy this buy it out a Mindset.
So, i tell you the type of Reciepe is VERY crutial. Im convinced you have to PROCESS it freshly, thats what i can say for shure. (dont break it up untill you cook it). And try a salade . Or with seeds shredded in water, tastes like coconut water and is the most nutrientrich Product on the Planet i heard from indipendet Doctors..

THC shouldn't be an issue unless the cannabis has been decarboxylated. I am actually going to try eating leaves in salads, smoothies e.t.c. once I start growing again. I will also try a cold infusion in olive oil as that migh be the best way. I know from the few times I have eaten a leaf that they don't taste that great.

I've been reading about it and there's a lot of people juicing raw cannabis. I will try it in a blender like a nutri bullet and see how it goes mixed with other goodies like fruit, cruciferous vegetables and salad leaves.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, HempKat. I am well aware of cooking and consuming edibles. However once you cook it, the CBGa converts into THC and CBD. I was more interested in what happens without heat and the health benefits of the raw cannabis. It is claimed that Raw cannabis can have similar, if not greater health benefits than cooked, including for pain. Of course it will not get you high in the raw form. I don't have anything against getting high, but I am interested in getting some health benefits during the day when I don't have to worry about being high and dealing with people.

The guy in the video I posted advocates both eating raw cannabis, and infusing raw cannabis into olive oil (without carboxylation). I would be curious if any members had tried this, or had any other information.

Well I'm not positive on this because I was never all that big on chemistry but I have seen others claim that if you eat raw cannabis the body's digestive process will cause carboxylation to occur both from the body's natural internal heat and heat from the chemical reactions that go on during digestion. If this is true then that I assume would mean that CBGa to THC and CBD will still occur and you will still get high just probably even more slowly then eating cooked cannabis.

I apologize for not fully understanding your question and also that I didn't watch the video. What I've heard about carboxylation occurring internally when you eat raw cannabis may be wrong but I know the temperature threshold for this happening is pretty low which is why it is recommended to cook cannabis at fairly low temps to avoid degradation, therefore I'm more inclined to believe it is true. So unless the guy in the video has established so pretty solid credentials for making his claim I would say to be skeptical of that claim. If the goal is to get the medicinal benefits of CBD without the effect of THC or at least very minimal effect then I would think you might be better served to just get ahold of strains with high CBD levels and low THC levels and make normal edibles with those or just get ahold of CBD that's been extracted and packaged.

I will admit there are many more cannabinoids in Cannabis then just THC and CBD most of which we no little or next to nothing about and since cannabinoids interact naturally with our endocrine system it is potentially possible that eating raw cannabis could have some medicinal benefit. However since there is hardly anyone making such claims I would again be skeptical since if there was any notable benefit surely it would have been well studied by now and there would be many easily found sources for more information. If nothing else there would still be the issue of how unpalatable it would be to eat raw cannabis, although I guess you could get around that by powderizing the raw cannabis and putting it into gel caps. Anyway again I apologize for misunderstanding your question and I'm sorry I can't give you the information you're seeking. I hope someone else might be able to better assist you.

Galvano

Last year I did my first indoor micro-grow (organic fertilizer), I defoliate and lollipopped so I had some fan leaves, small buds and sugar leaves.

I have eaten the fan and sugar leaves raw, several times, washed and finely cutted, mixed to salad (they taste a little bitter).
In particular, after having eaten them for two or three days in a row, I felt really good, a well-being that I didn't feel since I had several years less on the shoulders. I don't know if the merit was of the leaves or of something other, unfortunately I could not countercheck because I could no longer grow indoor.

With the sugar leaves and small buds I tried to cook a risotto (two or three times), the taste had hints of grass, hazelnut and bitterness.
An hour, an hour and half after the dinner the effect was very mild, almost imperceptible, but when I smoked a joint, booom... it was very funny :D :D :D

This is only my experience eating raw (and non raw) cannabis, YMMV.

:tiphat:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I have been growing a few plants that are nearly all male so have been having about 5-10 leaves in a green smoothie each morning for the last week or so. I have found it immensly relaxing and great for anxiety relief. The effect seems better than the CBD oil that I have been using.
This plant is amazing and it is a crime that it is still illegal in most of the world.

goingrey

Like most of us here I'm sure, I have eaten fan leaves plenty of times. In sandwiches, salads, and just straight off the plant.

I have not noticed any kind of psychoactive or other medicinal effects personally. Mainly it has just been a way of not having to go the store to buy some lettuce, while still getting to eat something with similar nutritional qualities. And also a non-wasteful way of defoliating plants.

When trying to find out exactly what the nutritional value of hemp leaves are (which I failed to do by the way, if some has the data please share) I came across this article from CRx Magazine by Emily Kyle; The Nutritional Value of Raw Cannabis — What Research Indicates and What Clinicians Need to Know.

It suggests that eating phytocannabinoid acids does indeed provide medicinal benefits, though it does not explicitly mention CBGa. However, it also mentions that there is still a lack of factual information on the matter (written in Spring of 2020, perhaps new research has been published since then).

My gut feeling (pun intended) is that to receive noticeable benefits you would have to eat much more than a fan leaf or two on a sandwich or even a couple more in salad or smoothie, and need to juice entire plants. Of course, if you have noticed benefits from less then, that's great!

Chi13

ICMag Donor
goingrey, I have not noticed anything psychoactive, but have noticed a feeling of calm, and relaxation. This is obviously anecdotal and could quite possibly be placebo. However, I take CBD oil as well and do not notice as much as an effect from that as I do the raw cannabis.

For the record I use about 20-25 or so fan leaves. They are not juiced but blended with veges and fruit in a nutribullet. There's enough in there that I can taste it.

Latest posts

Latest posts