What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PIZZA...

X

xavier7995

Herman's pizzas look amazingly interesting. I make Detroit style, i guess. Only big difference is i make more of a breadlike crust and do it in a cast iron skillet, stovetop on high for around 3-5 minutes until i smell the crust start to cook then into the oven.

Sauce:
Olive oil/butter into a pan on medium heat. Finely dice up half an onion and toss in pan, add some dried herbs, one can tomato paste and an equal amount of water. Cook that in the oil for a bit moving it around to keep from burning. If i have them, i go fresh tomatoes and skip the paste/water. Grate/microplane a clove or two of fresh garlic and give it 30 seconds in the pan, once you smell it take the pan off the heat. GENTLY use an immersion blender to puree down to smooth sauce, you want to avoid creating an emulsion so do 10 second bursts. Add salt/pepper and a dash of sugar. Cook it on low/med until you get to desired thickness.

Dough is done in a stand mixer. I go with roughly 1 cup liquid to 2 cups flour, but havent measured in a long time. Swapping white wine in for half of the water is pretty great. Warm water goes in mixer and then dissolve a tablespoon or so of sugar into it. Add yeast, i just use a spoonful of rapid rise. Let it sit for a few minutes to get foamy. Add about 1/2 of your expected flour needs. Add a little salt and olive oil to taste. I use about 25% wheat flour, but beware it can make the dough heavy and kinda dense. Run the mixer to combine and see what consistency you have, add flour until dough pulls cleanly away from the sides but still is attached to that weird little divot in the mixing bowl bottom. Let it rise till doubled and punch down, let it sit till it doubles again, then ready to roll.

Oven gets set to 420 because of...yeah. once preheated i grab my cast iron skillet and squirt a little olive oil in there, then form the pizza in the skillet, making sure the crust goes to the edge and then cheese also going to edge. Cook on stovetop till you smell it, then into the oven until you reach desired doneness.

It is kind of a thick pizza so that stovetop step is pretty helpful to make sure the bottom gets done enough to support the rest of the slice.

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Thank you xavier7995, I totaly forgot that I had posted so many Pizza pics in this thread. Yesterday I was learning, that there is one big diffrent between american and german Pizza. American Pizza comes cuted in slices on the table, in Germany never.:)

picture.php

picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
wow... lots of nice pizza's... good work guys - i normally buy dough's from the local pizza (s) places, but going to start making my own ...(cheaper that way)

i buy san marzano whole tomatoes, hand crush em, add a little evoo, some sugar, and some fresh basil... not a bad sauce , tho not joe and pats sauce either

for the cheese , its always grande - sometime whole milk (i get the loaf's), sometimes east coast blend (part skim), and recently using their part mozz/part provolone... which add's another dimension to the taste...

my oven gets to 475/500f, which is fine, but also recently have been using the bbq...
make the dough a little thicker, coat both side with evoo, on the to bbq, for maybe 1-2mins, the side not directly on the grille will get large bubbles, but when u turn it over for 30/60 seconds, they deflate..

bring the dough inside , dress it up and back on the bbq it goes.. just gotta watch out that the bottom doesnt burn.. a diff way to make pizza

shithawk420

Veteran
San marzono are key but they are seasonal and very expensive.i can't even get them by me.i gotta make my own sauce I came up with.lots of tomato paste

Green Squall

San marzono are key but they are seasonal and very expensive.i can't even get them by me.i gotta make my own sauce I came up with.lots of tomato paste

Are you familiar with the brand Pomi? Perfect for pasta/pizza and its cheap too. No bullshit ingredients either. Comes in both chopped or strained. Product of Italy.

ic

shithawk420

Veteran
Sounds good Squall.im currently using Pastorelli pizza sauce.its pretty good.its the best canned sauce I've found. I might have tried Pomi.i think I did.cant remember.

shithawk420

Veteran
Now that I think of it I used to use that pizza sauce all the time it's good.but try the Pastorelli.same price about.its thicker and sweeter.good call on the Pomi

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
actually the best tomatoes i ever tasted for pizza sauce are san marzano's.... but calif grown.. tastier (imo) then the italian grown ones...

Breadwizard

Here's a couple of home-baked pizzas I've done that turned out pretty photogenic. Sourdough crust, >24 hour cold fermentation, baked on ceramic tile.
picture.php

picture.php

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Man... I havent had pizza in months and looking at this thread makes my mouth water.
Been laying off the carbs.
Getting tired of venison, fish and veggies.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Yeah... NO.
Tried it.
It isnt bad but it is what it is and it aint pizza dough. lol

Americangrower

Veteran
Just thought I would share my sauce..
Fresh hand squeezed tomato, prefer san marzano but any heirloom will work.
touch of salt, red pepper flakes and fresh basil

I know nothing special there lol

Now mince some garlic and olives, I always used Castelvetrano but Kalamato have grown on me even if they are Greek.

Last step add some of the olive oil thats in olive container.

And please don't cook sauce this ain't pasta LOL

rod58

Herman's pizzas look amazingly interesting. I make Detroit style, i guess. Only big difference is i make more of a breadlike crust and do it in a cast iron skillet, stovetop on high for around 3-5 minutes until i smell the crust start to cook then into the oven.

Sauce:
Olive oil/butter into a pan on medium heat. Finely dice up half an onion and toss in pan, add some dried herbs, one can tomato paste and an equal amount of water. Cook that in the oil for a bit moving it around to keep from burning. If i have them, i go fresh tomatoes and skip the paste/water. Grate/microplane a clove or two of fresh garlic and give it 30 seconds in the pan, once you smell it take the pan off the heat. GENTLY use an immersion blender to puree down to smooth sauce, you want to avoid creating an emulsion so do 10 second bursts. Add salt/pepper and a dash of sugar. Cook it on low/med until you get to desired thickness.

Dough is done in a stand mixer. I go with roughly 1 cup liquid to 2 cups flour, but havent measured in a long time. Swapping white wine in for half of the water is pretty great. Warm water goes in mixer and then dissolve a tablespoon or so of sugar into it. Add yeast, i just use a spoonful of rapid rise. Let it sit for a few minutes to get foamy. Add about 1/2 of your expected flour needs. Add a little salt and olive oil to taste. I use about 25% wheat flour, but beware it can make the dough heavy and kinda dense. Run the mixer to combine and see what consistency you have, add flour until dough pulls cleanly away from the sides but still is attached to that weird little divot in the mixing bowl bottom. Let it rise till doubled and punch down, let it sit till it doubles again, then ready to roll.

Oven gets set to 420 because of...yeah. once preheated i grab my cast iron skillet and squirt a little olive oil in there, then form the pizza in the skillet, making sure the crust goes to the edge and then cheese also going to edge. Cook on stovetop till you smell it, then into the oven until you reach desired doneness.

It is kind of a thick pizza so that stovetop step is pretty helpful to make sure the bottom gets done enough to support the rest of the slice.
xavier , what effect does the white wine have on your dough ? i make my own bases and use extra yeast , just love that yeasty taste !

X

xavier7995

A bit hard to describe, sort of a tanginess, it helps make up for the lack of flavor you get using rapid rise yeast. It somewhat effects how the yeast rises as well, i stick to around a half to a quarter of the liquid being wine as too much can kill your yeast from what i gather. If i am using wine i go with a bit lighter of a pizza, my normal ones are real heavy, so a bit thinner and sweeter sauce, thinner crust, extra fresh basil, etc. If your going to give it a try, start closer to the replacing 25% of water with wine rather than half, i have had it come out a bit to heavy on the wine and it was not great...not terrible and i could see some liking it, but it was very pronounced.

Oh...dont use red, it makes for an unpleasant looking dough. The boxes of crappy white wine with a screw top are great for cooking.

Latest posts

Latest posts