What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I do pulled pork BBQ!

Fiddynut

One of my favorite things is BBQ pulled pork. There are so many styles and it varies so much by region but here is how I do it. I use to struggle and get very inconsistent results. Then a friend of mine who was serious about BBQ gave me some tips. With the fundamentals down I could perfect my method.
The first thing I needed was a smoker that would hold a good temp and make nice thin blue smoke. A friend suggested a kamado style cooker and once I started using it I loved it. They are so versatile that I can use it for anything from an 18 hour cook at 225 deg to stakes and pizza at 700 + deg.
I like to go low and slow for pulled pork. I cook at between 200 and 225 deg for 8-10 hours then wrap in foil and continue cooking until it's nice and tender and usually up over 200 deg internal temp.

So first let's set up the smoker.
I use lump hardwood charcoal with 4 or 5 fist size chunks of hickory and cherry wood. I like the mix of hickory and fruit wood like cherry or apple. Here is how my fire box looks before startup.

And here is my acorn kamado with pitmaster iq controller. The pitmaster gives me the ability to get the meat on then get a good night sleep while the cook happens. It has a thermometer and uses a fan to stoke the fire and keep temps right.

While the pit is coming up to temp it's time to rub the pork butt down. If this was a competition cook I'd be injecting with apple juice and stuff but that is a lot of extra work and I don't do it for something I'm just going to eat with friends. Injecting can make meat more flavorful and juicy but also changes the way you should cook it. If injecting you need to get temp from 40 deg up to 140 deg in less that 4 hours because it is no longer an intact unpierced mussel. I think it turns out great without all that.
I have made my own rubs but I really like the smoking guns and the smoking guns hot rubs. You can win a BBQ competition with these rubs. So get out your favorite rub and give it a nice heavy coating. A pork butt can take a lot of rub so don't be shy. I rice the butt with cold water then dry it and coat with olive oil than a heavy layer of rub.

Now your butt is ready and once your pit is up over 200 deg it's time to put it on. I like anywhere between 200 and 225 deg.

Betterhaff

Veteran
When I do pulled pork, after the rub goes on it goes into a freezer bag and into the fridge for at least 12 hours. Damn, you would have to post this, a good pulled pork is hard to beat.

Fiddynut

Part 2

Part 2

After 8 or 10 hours the butt has all the smoke it will need. You can keep cooking it naked or wrap in foil to speed things up at this point. I almost always wrap with foil at this point. It helps it reach temp quicker and I keeps it from getting too smoky.
Hear is how it looks before the wrap.

Once the pork has hit a temp of 200 deg it will be tender and juicy. I like to rest the wrapped pork in a cooler with a towel around it for another 4 hours. This gives it a chance to continue getting tender and to let the juices redistribute. Once that rest is done it is ready to be shredded and eaten. I shred it by hand but you can use forks or something. Once done I like to serve it on corn tortillas with a little sauce and some cole slaw on top.

As I said this is how I do it and there are as many styles as people who cook them. Any questions please ask.

Fiddynut

Beans to go with pulled pork

Beans to go with pulled pork

If there is something I like with pulled pork it's some good BBQ beans. This is how I make mine.
I don't use a recipe but here is what I put in for spices and flavoring, I also use about 1/4 cup of brown sugar too.

First I render a few strips of bacon and drain most of the fat. Then I use an onion or two and a bell pepper or two. I sweet the onion and pepper a little but I don't brown or cook it until soft.

Now I take the swatted onion and pepper and bacon and throw in a can of bushes baked beans plus two cans of drained beans of choice. Any kind of beans work great, I used pinto and black beans this time. Once beans, bacon, and onions and peppers are combined I add brown sugar and a few shakes of the molasses, mustard, apple cider vinegar, ect to the beans and put on the smoker for a few hours while the meat finishes. Here is how they look when done.

Fiddynut

When I do pulled pork, after the rub goes on it goes into a freezer bag and into the fridge for at least 12 hours. Damn, you would have to post this, a good pulled pork is hard to beat.
Sorry if I'm making you hungry Betterhaff. I have rubbed the pork down in advance in the past and it works great. It makes a dry brine and helps your meat stay moist. Like you said good pulled pork is hard to beat. It is one of the only things I can eat left overs of all week without getting sick of.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Nice thread. I just picked up a pellet smoker this year after many years of various offset barrel smokers. Love the thing! Good butt is one of my favorite things to cook on it.

Fiddynut

good lord Fiddy!that looks great!i need to get my feet wet and learn how to smoke!
Thanks Shithawk. I love smoky food. You can use a charcoal or even a gas grill as well it's just harder to keep temps low and consistent. A little practice is all you need. I'm going to do a little write up on how I do ribs and brisket soon. Let me know if I can help!

Green Squall

Is this something you make often or is it for special occasions? I can picture that pork disappearing fast at a cookout.

Fiddynut

Nice thread. I just picked up a pellet smoker this year after many years of various offset barrel smokers. Love the thing! Good butt is one of my favorite things to cook on it.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=48601&pictureid=1663594&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Nice butt treetroit! Some good BBQ coming out of the Midwest these days. Those offset smokers are hard to hold temp and easy to have hot spots, you can make them work but it's not easy. The pellet smokers work great and make some killer Q. Theirs something about weed and BBQ that go so well together.

Fiddynut

Is this something you make often or is it for special occasions? I can picture that pork disappearing fast at a cookout.
I make this pretty often. If I'm having a party it's a great way to feed a bunch of people for cheap. It's also good when just having a couple friends over. It reheats well and gives me lunch and dinner leftovers all week. You can use leftovers in anything from tacos to fried rice and stir fry. It goes quick at party's for sure and everyone loves it.