What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ceramic knives

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Don't know why anyone would own a glass cutting board though even with regular knives.

Because glass is one of the hardest surfaces known to man and it's non-porous. Two admirable qualities for the job at hand.

spring fed

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of those knives are beautiful. I recently purchased this knife from amazon. I'm not a real fan of the colors, but it's hefty and feels really nice. Around $50 including shipping.

spring fed

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Early X-mas present from the wife.:woohoo:
picture.php

picture.php

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
my latest~and possibly greatest.... MAC knives are serious ... one of the keenest, crisp, resistance free blades I've ever used..... top~notch~indeedy
picture.php

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
some lovely japanese blades there!

my favourite knife at the moment,, not a chefs knife though nor ceramic, just white steel.... those mac knives are top notch indeed..

picture.php

i want a forge :frown:

S

SeaMaiden

Springfed, that is GORGEOUS. And it ain't ceramic.

Yort, tell us more about that MAC, the Knife. :D No, seriously.

Dave got a new ceramic knife, this one has a black blade. Hopefully it'll last longer than the others he got at the beginning of this year that someone who was living with us pretty well fucked up with their careless handling.

Isn't that how it always is? People treat others' belongings like crap, because it didn't cost them a penny.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
spring fed we are almost twins haha. had this for a few years. got it from japanese chef knives as well

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 80

Desert Hydro

Veteran
spring fed we are almost twins haha. had this for a few years. got it from japanese chef knives as well

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 82
S

SeaMaiden

Has anyone here had to sharpen their ceramics? We've got a Miyako set that we'd like to give to my folks, but a gal who was living with us had a preferred knife and she nicked the hell out of the blade. I've called around trying to find someone who can sharpen it for us, but locally they'll only work on the Kyocera knives. We can send the one knife back in to Miyako, but I'm afraid that might take longer than I want/need.

Again, those Japanese knives are just true works of art. And when art meets function, hoo boy, talk about a thing of beauty. Almost gets me verklempt!

D

draco

i have had mine for a year (ceramic). just as sharp today as they were when new.

certainly not an all around knife - you can't pry with them, drop them, or cut on a plate. but they are a joy when cutting. ripe tomatoes are indeed the test of a sharp knife... i would love to have a shaving razor like this.

don't know how they could be sharpened at home... they are made of glass...

JVonChron

have a couple, had em for about a year. still slice your finger real deep-slice tomatos sharp. My set(kyocera) came with pamphlet sheet and said I could send em in for sharpening. Instructions also listed certain things you're not supposed to cut with em...like cheese and meat with bones which I thought was kinda lame but I guess I dont want ceramic frag in my food. Anyone ever tried the super cheap ones from Harbr Freit?

S

SeaMaiden

No, you can't. The manufacturers have agreed (or been required for sales in the US, I can't remember) to place a metal shaft in the ceramic specifically so they will be detectable.
have a couple, had em for about a year. still slice your finger real deep-slice tomatos sharp. My set(kyocera) came with pamphlet sheet and said I could send em in for sharpening. Instructions also listed certain things you're not supposed to cut with em...like cheese and meat with bones which I thought was kinda lame but I guess I dont want ceramic frag in my food. Anyone ever tried the super cheap ones from Harbr Freit?

You're not supposed to cut the cheese...? WHOOPS! I am such a fucking rule-breaker. Srsly. We just gave a set of the Miyako knives to my parents, they are stoked.

We moved from Miyako to Kyocera.

G

someone mentioned harbor freight for cheap ceramics. you could get a cheaper santoku if you wanted one i like santokus. or grind one out of some leafspring

shithawk420

Veteran
Wow I forgot about this thread.i don't know about japanese ceramic knives but why the hell would you get one when you could get a handmade steel Japanese knives that will last more than a lifetime.you think ceramic knives are sharp you should try a sashimi knives.those things are so sharp I'm almost scared to handle one

Latest posts

Latest posts