X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chakras
    replied
    Originally posted by armedoldhippy View Post
    dammit, moose! you're gonna have every dang bear in 20 miles circling your camp, and probably have human visitors as well, lol. there just aint no place so remote that you can hide food like that ...

Leave a comment:

• chakras
    replied
    Originally posted by whiterabbit9 View Post
    nothing

I brushed my teeth after eating half a beef shawarma and
    some peach os

and gonna go get myself a bottle of water to have next to my bed

---

for supper I had

rice, slices of pork, carrots, celery and salad
    wasn't bad
    Looks yummy! Don't forget to brush!

Leave a comment:

• moose eater
    replied
    Colcannon potatoes; an Irish dish we dug up this morning. Boiled spuds, then separately cooked 3 chopped cups of (purple) cabbage in 6 TBSP of butter, then when the cabbage was cooked, added 1 cup of our fresh garden chives, and cooked it in the butter with the cabbage for another minute, then added a cup of cream and added the boiled spuds, mashing it al together, then added a bit of salt.|
    I suspect that if anyone can make potatoes into a DELICACY, it'd be the Irish, eh?

Not vegan, though at least vegetarian, so not too far from the anti-cancer-diet's path.

Another recipe for the same dish had sprinkled crispy, crumbled bacon on top, but I'm trying to at least avoid class one carcinogens.

Tomorrow maybe we'll pursue the rutabaga pie recipe, or perhaps the pork mini-pies.

Edit: a friend's wife stopped by this afternoon, and turned us on to a a quart of wild Alaska blueberries in exchange for several sampler bags of of various types of our potatoes and some of our Scarlet Nantes carrots, so there's some keto blueberry muffins coming out of the oven as I type. "Life's tough in the North Country.. lemme' tell ya'." ;^>)

Leave a comment:

• moose eater
    replied
    Originally posted by Cuddles View Post

coriander ?!?! Now I´m glad I couldn´t have any, lol.
    Btw it´s good to hear that you´re feeling better and that you´re out and about again, doing more enjoyable stuff
    Thanks.

Yep, coriander is a fairly common ingredient in sausage and meat prep, much to my surprise a few year ago. More subtle in flavor in many recipes.

Walking with a mere rifle, sidearm and limited gear was more tiring than expected, but the months of inactivity last year added up. That said, by day-2, I was feeling less physical stress from climbing into tree stands, or hiking the limited trails back into the off-the-beaten-path locations.

Now I've got a bit of a boost in energy in general, so we're aiming to do a fuel oil run today, as well as maybe 'sistering' up some posts in the barn loft to try and hang 4 headers (2 front and 2 behind the 16' upright posts) to support the splicing location of the headers for the rafters on the addition I built the post & beam framework for a bunch of years ago. Maybe even run some rafters in the near future, seeing as how lumber prices are finally down from the insanity they were charging for lumber a few months ago.

Looking up classic Irish recipes this morning, to continue familiarizing myself & my family with the cuisine of the primary lineage in my roots. Found some pork pies that look pretty good (though not vegan), and some lamb stew, as well. And a rutabaga pie that looks similar to our pasties in construction, but in a 9" round pie configuration, rather than the hand-held moose/beef/venison pasties that go back to the fare of the average Cornish copper miners in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan 100 years ago.

Onward to the posts and headers and the fuel oil trailer. I figure if I'm 'headed out', I may as well not leave too many tasks for those who inherit this place. There'll be plenty of maintenance to go around as it is; windows, flooring, interior paint.. All the stuff that makes owning a home so much 'fun'. ;^>).

Leave a comment:

• Cuddles
    replied
    Originally posted by moose eater View Post

They received rave reviews. The rub has coarse sea salt, brown sugar (a sin in my diet), heavy black pepper, moderate white pepper, chili powder, a touch of cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, sage, fresh-ground nutmeg, lots of coarse thyme, yellow mustard powder, lotsa smoked paprika, a bit of coriander, and I forget what else.

Trying to stick to a vegan diet, so I rarely do them, but it was a treat for my friend out in the mountains.

We ate them over 3 days or so.

At one point I caught a tiny vole in the shed we use as a refrigerator this time of year, running away from a left-over rib in a tin foil wrap. I hesitated to squish the little bugger for the crime of having good taste, despite his trespasses.
    coriander ?!?! Now I´m glad I couldn´t have any, lol.
    Btw it´s good to hear that you´re feeling better and that you´re out and about again, doing more enjoyable stuff

Leave a comment:

• moose eater
    replied
    dammit, moose! you're gonna have every dang bear in 20 miles circling your camp, and probably have human visitors as well, lol. there just aint no place so remote that you can hide food like that ...
    They received rave reviews. The rub has coarse sea salt, brown sugar (a sin in my diet), heavy black pepper, moderate white pepper, chili powder, a touch of cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, sage, fresh-ground nutmeg, lots of coarse thyme, yellow mustard powder, lotsa smoked paprika, a bit of coriander, and I forget what else.

Trying to stick to a vegan diet, so I rarely do them, but it was a treat for my friend out in the mountains.

We ate them over 3 days or so.

At one point I caught a tiny vole in the shed we use as a refrigerator this time of year, running away from a left-over rib in a tin foil wrap. I hesitated to squish the little bugger for the crime of having good taste, despite his trespasses.

Leave a comment:

• Cuddles
    replied
    yum yum. I usually avoid pork meat but I´d love some!

Leave a comment:

• armedoldhippy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moose eater
    replied
    28 sections of pork ribs are done, with about 3 having been consumed a moment ago, and the bulk of the remainder headed for the bush, wrapped in foil and in a cooler with ice packs.

All but 4 fit into my propane smoker, which produces a better product than my digital; the digital being a dryer outcome, with less smoke in the flavor, due to the way the thing functions.

The walk-in fish smoker smokes at too low a temperature for pork ribs, but uses a modified Canadian air-tight wood stove on 1/4" (?) plate steel and heavy-duty casters. I wish it could reach the temps for pork ribs, as it burns primarily local alder, and the flavor is incredible.

Mmmmmmmm!!!! Another interruption to the vegan diet, but I figure pigs eat grain, and we are what we eat, right?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0586.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	17940310Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0584.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	17940311Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0589.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	17940312Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0588.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.6 KB ID:	17940313
    Last edited by moose eater; 09-10-2021, 23:59.

Leave a comment:

• moose eater
    replied
    The tail-end of dry-rub application, and now a hefty pan with five racks of wrapped ribs is in the fridge. Stay tuned..

Always wrap and stack with the meat side down for the purpose of marinating the meat with the juices.

When they go into the smoker, however, it's meat-side up, so the fat and meat can marinate the ribs as the stuff drips down from the heat..

These will develop a crust QUITE nicely in the smoker... tomorrow morning or so...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0581.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	17939208Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0582.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	17939209

Leave a comment:

• moose eater
    replied

I never tried to google them to be honest. I´m just describing them from memory. I once had to go to Belgrave in London (where a lots of embassies are located) and it´s a really shit area too! I mean it´s mega expensive and posh but it´s so posh that I didn´t even spot a single newsagent or food and wine shop between there and the tube station.
    Anyway as I was making my way from the tube there was a small mobile and lonely brazilian donut stand on the pavement. I´d never heard of them before and as I was kinda hungry I tried one even though I wasn´t really into sweet stuff back then and well... I just loved it!
    I only had to go there maybe 3 times in total and sadly I never came across a place that offers these donuts again - to this day! :(((((((( and I´m still waiting and hoping

smoked ribs sound lovely mmh
    Just finished about a quart of the dry rub mix, and combined with with another left-over quart of the rub mix, and a half-pint of a reduced sugar dry rub from another experiment. I often don't measure or use recipes, cooking with amounts adjusted by eye, so each rub mix is different, just a little bit. I'd also deduced that what ever mood we're in when we cook, can get translated into the food/recipe we're cooking; last night I w3as grumpy and exhausted. Grumpy over the exhaustion, to a great degree, rather than other bullshit. Too much to do, and not enough energy, often leaves me pissed off at the universe a little bit.

I think I went a bit heavy on some of the items/seasonings in this mix this morning, but that ought to get mitigated by the addition of the 2 left-over amounts of mix that I included.

Next is the membrane removal, then sectioning into 2-3 bone sections, crust the sections heavily with the dry rub, wrap the little buggers up in food film, 2-3 sections to a wrap, and stack them in a large tray to soak in their juices until tomorrow morning.

They'll smoke over apple wood and hickory wood chunks at about 225 to 240 Fahrenheit for about 4 hours, +/-, then of course, sampling is required before sending any food items to the bush, which is where these are headed to.... treats for our hunting trip to the Alaska range on Saturday morning, when the plane leaves about noon. Fortunately the town trip I was going to have to engage in for Friday morning, to pay a number of bills, can be taken care of by another family member, leaving me at home to finish packing, and to routinely put wood chunks/chips on the smoker. Team-work.

Just need them properly cooled down before they go into coolers; my friend out in the mountains only runs his generator for about 10-14 hours/day most of the year, though he also has a 'suitcase solar generator' that charges deep-cycle batteries. Trouble being that the deep-cycle batteries are sometimes limited to the wattage they can push.

Anyway, onward into pork rib membranes...

-----------------------------------------

Foreign impromptu food experiences for us included being in The Hague in 1991, and going into a pub for a lunch and a beer, where they had these things that were shaped like medium-size sausages, but they were breaded, and crispy on the outside. Never ran into them again, and no clue what to look for in researching them, but MAN(!!!) the little buggers were tasty!!!

Leave a comment:

• Cuddles
    replied
    Originally posted by moose eater View Post

Had to look them up with Google;n they offered several different doughnuts of Brazilian origin, including a round, cream-filled thing that looked like a dinner roll with a bit of sugar dusted on it.

Then there were cinnamon type things ('tear drops'? 'rain drops'?) that looked like they'd been dropped from a spoon into the hot fat/oil.

And a third one, as well. Maybe more.

I questioned whether Mr. Google had actually been to Rio.

I'm late to make up more of my ''kitchen sink dry rub', strip the inner membrane from the various racks of ribs, and get them smoking; looks like a Friday AM smoking at this point. As long s they're smoked, chilled, wrapped in foil and plastic, and in coolers by the time the wheels lift off the ground on Saturday, noon-ish.
    I never tried to google them to be honest. I´m just describing them from memory. I once had to go to Belgrave in London (where a lots of embassies are located) and it´s a really shit area too! I mean it´s mega expensive and posh but it´s so posh that I didn´t even spot a single newsagent or food and wine shop between there and the tube station.
    Anyway as I was making my way from the tube there was a small mobile and lonely brazilian donut stand on the pavement. I´d never heard of them before and as I was kinda hungry I tried one even though I wasn´t really into sweet stuff back then and well... I just loved it!
    I only had to go there maybe 3 times in total and sadly I never came across a place that offers these donuts again - to this day! :(((((((( and I´m still waiting and hoping

smoked ribs sound lovely mmh

Leave a comment:

• moose eater
    replied

you gotta try them if you ever get a chance. - even though they look like a penis I´m not kidding! they really are phallic shaped and the filling goes right into the long middle mmmmmmhhhh they´re just delicious (sigh)
    Had to look them up with Google;n they offered several different doughnuts of Brazilian origin, including a round, cream-filled thing that looked like a dinner roll with a bit of sugar dusted on it.

Then there were cinnamon type things ('tear drops'? 'rain drops'?) that looked like they'd been dropped from a spoon into the hot fat/oil.

And a third one, as well. Maybe more.

I questioned whether Mr. Google had actually been to Rio.

I'm late to make up more of my ''kitchen sink dry rub', strip the inner membrane from the various racks of ribs, and get them smoking; looks like a Friday AM smoking at this point. As long s they're smoked, chilled, wrapped in foil and plastic, and in coolers by the time the wheels lift off the ground on Saturday, noon-ish.

Leave a comment:

• Cuddles
    replied

hope to try them. hell, the worst donut i ever ate was good...get them (big-ass pretzels too!) on saturday mornings at an Amish run store/food truck now & then. they pull them straight out of the fryer & give them to you on wax paper. oh Lord...
    you gotta try them if you ever get a chance. - even though they look like a penis I´m not kidding! they really are phallic shaped and the filling goes right into the long middle mmmmmmhhhh they´re just delicious (sigh)

Leave a comment:

• armedoldhippy
    replied
    speaking of Brazilian food, has anyone here tried brazilian donuts! Man I LOVED those!!!
    hope to try them. hell, the worst donut i ever ate was good...get them (big-ass pretzels too!) on saturday mornings at an Amish run store/food truck now & then. they pull them straight out of the fryer & give them to you on wax paper. oh Lord...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X