What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

moose eater

Dried Turkish unsulfured apricots and roasted almonds in light sea salt. Sweet, crunchy, and salty... Somewhat like an old Pay Day bar, but mo' betta'.

Cuddles

Went all vegetarian for todays lunch. Just cauliflower and potaotes with white sauce.... kinda missed something though and my iceberg salad has gone off too :(

moose eater

Fresh cut RIPE pineapple, in moderation, of course. Vegan Thai stir-fry, with fresh ginger, lots of California (spicy) garlic, kafir lime leaves, Thai green curry past, purple cabbage, carrots, broccoli and snow peas from the garden, and organic rainbow chard from the store, among other additions. Ran out of extra-firm tofu, so there's some alternative protein sources afoot. but QUITE tasty, all of it!!

moose eater

Bitter melon smoothies; 1/2 of a large bitter melon, chopped, de-seeded, 1/8 cup apple sauce, <1/8-cup organic pomegranate-blueberry juice, 3/4 to 1-cup watermelon, 2-3 TBSP of real lemon juice (not diluted), couple of ice cubes, about 9 large fat organic domestic blueberries; puree' bitter melon, lemon juice and pomegranate-blueberry juices in the blender (the sharper blade, the better), add watermelon, ice cubes, and blueberries, and puree' a bit more, until smooth and slushy.

The tartness of the lemon juice makes up for the bitterness of the bitter melon, though the bitterness still comes through. The sweetness of the pomegranate-blueberry juice, water melon and scant number of blueberries sweetens it just enough to not make drinking it a true act of masochism.

It's said to lower A1C/glucose and kill some cancer cells. and the carbohydrates are fairly limited or 'contained', relatively speaking.

Cuddles

lamb with a mixed salad for lunch today.

.. and I just made choc cookies...again lol ;) happy to pass them round too :)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Fresh cut RIPE pineapple, in moderation, of course. Vegan Thai stir-fry, with fresh ginger, lots of California (spicy) garlic, kafir lime leaves, Thai green curry past, purple cabbage, carrots, broccoli and snow peas from the garden, and organic rainbow chard from the store, among other additions. Ran out of extra-firm tofu, so there's some alternative protein sources afoot. but QUITE tasty, all of it!!

ever eaten roasted pineapple before? got it at a Brazilian steakhouse once, absolutely LOVE it!

moose eater

ever eaten roasted pineapple before? got it at a Brazilian steakhouse once, absolutely LOVE it!

I've had it served with grilled marinated kabobs, on a skewer, with chunks of sweet onion, meat(s), tomatoes, peppers, etc. Quite tasty.
------------------------------------------------
My current dietary nemesis is Nu-Trail Keto Blueberry Cinnamon Nut Granola, with dried blueberries, coconut slices, various nuts, pumpkin and other seeds, and who-knows-what, with monk fruit as part of the sweetener. Stuff's not cheap, and there they go, right there on the package, encouraging a feller to eat it as gorp or a snack, rather than the tiny serving they recommend to be served for breakfast.

Munchies at midnight... or 3:00 A.M. in this case, and a bag of that stuff laying about... Just not a wise move.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
speaking of Brazilian food, has anyone here tried brazilian donuts! Man I LOVED those!!!

hope to try them. hell, the worst donut i ever ate was good...get them (big-ass pretzels too!) on saturday mornings at an Amish run store/food truck now & then. they pull them straight out of the fryer & give them to you on wax paper. oh Lord...

Cuddles

hope to try them. hell, the worst donut i ever ate was good...get them (big-ass pretzels too!) on saturday mornings at an Amish run store/food truck now & then. they pull them straight out of the fryer & give them to you on wax paper. oh Lord...

you gotta try them if you ever get a chance. - even though they look like a penis :biglaugh: I´m not kidding! they really are phallic shaped and the filling goes right into the long middle mmmmmmhhhh they´re just delicious (sigh)

moose eater

you gotta try them if you ever get a chance. - even though they look like a penis :biglaugh: I´m not kidding! they really are phallic shaped and the filling goes right into the long middle mmmmmmhhhh they´re just delicious (sigh)

Had to look them up with Google;n they offered several different doughnuts of Brazilian origin, including a round, cream-filled thing that looked like a dinner roll with a bit of sugar dusted on it.

Then there were cinnamon type things ('tear drops'? 'rain drops'?) that looked like they'd been dropped from a spoon into the hot fat/oil.

And a third one, as well. Maybe more.

I questioned whether Mr. Google had actually been to Rio.

I'm late to make up more of my ''kitchen sink dry rub', strip the inner membrane from the various racks of ribs, and get them smoking; looks like a Friday AM smoking at this point. As long s they're smoked, chilled, wrapped in foil and plastic, and in coolers by the time the wheels lift off the ground on Saturday, noon-ish.

Cuddles

Had to look them up with Google;n they offered several different doughnuts of Brazilian origin, including a round, cream-filled thing that looked like a dinner roll with a bit of sugar dusted on it.

Then there were cinnamon type things ('tear drops'? 'rain drops'?) that looked like they'd been dropped from a spoon into the hot fat/oil.

And a third one, as well. Maybe more.

I questioned whether Mr. Google had actually been to Rio.

I'm late to make up more of my ''kitchen sink dry rub', strip the inner membrane from the various racks of ribs, and get them smoking; looks like a Friday AM smoking at this point. As long s they're smoked, chilled, wrapped in foil and plastic, and in coolers by the time the wheels lift off the ground on Saturday, noon-ish.

I never tried to google them to be honest. I´m just describing them from memory. I once had to go to Belgrave in London (where a lots of embassies are located) and it´s a really shit area too! I mean it´s mega expensive and posh but it´s so posh that I didn´t even spot a single newsagent or food and wine shop between there and the tube station.
Anyway as I was making my way from the tube there was a small mobile and lonely brazilian donut stand on the pavement. I´d never heard of them before and as I was kinda hungry I tried one even though I wasn´t really into sweet stuff back then and well... I just loved it!
I only had to go there maybe 3 times in total and sadly I never came across a place that offers these donuts again - to this day! :(((((((( and I´m still waiting and hoping :clock watch:

smoked ribs sound lovely mmh :)

moose eater

I never tried to google them to be honest. I´m just describing them from memory. I once had to go to Belgrave in London (where a lots of embassies are located) and it´s a really shit area too! I mean it´s mega expensive and posh but it´s so posh that I didn´t even spot a single newsagent or food and wine shop between there and the tube station.
Anyway as I was making my way from the tube there was a small mobile and lonely brazilian donut stand on the pavement. I´d never heard of them before and as I was kinda hungry I tried one even though I wasn´t really into sweet stuff back then and well... I just loved it!
I only had to go there maybe 3 times in total and sadly I never came across a place that offers these donuts again - to this day! :(((((((( and I´m still waiting and hoping :clock watch:

smoked ribs sound lovely mmh :)

Just finished about a quart of the dry rub mix, and combined with with another left-over quart of the rub mix, and a half-pint of a reduced sugar dry rub from another experiment. I often don't measure or use recipes, cooking with amounts adjusted by eye, so each rub mix is different, just a little bit. I'd also deduced that what ever mood we're in when we cook, can get translated into the food/recipe we're cooking; last night I w3as grumpy and exhausted. Grumpy over the exhaustion, to a great degree, rather than other bullshit. Too much to do, and not enough energy, often leaves me pissed off at the universe a little bit.

I think I went a bit heavy on some of the items/seasonings in this mix this morning, but that ought to get mitigated by the addition of the 2 left-over amounts of mix that I included.

Next is the membrane removal, then sectioning into 2-3 bone sections, crust the sections heavily with the dry rub, wrap the little buggers up in food film, 2-3 sections to a wrap, and stack them in a large tray to soak in their juices until tomorrow morning.

They'll smoke over apple wood and hickory wood chunks at about 225 to 240 Fahrenheit for about 4 hours, +/-, then of course, sampling is required before sending any food items to the bush, which is where these are headed to.... treats for our hunting trip to the Alaska range on Saturday morning, when the plane leaves about noon. Fortunately the town trip I was going to have to engage in for Friday morning, to pay a number of bills, can be taken care of by another family member, leaving me at home to finish packing, and to routinely put wood chunks/chips on the smoker. Team-work.

Just need them properly cooled down before they go into coolers; my friend out in the mountains only runs his generator for about 10-14 hours/day most of the year, though he also has a 'suitcase solar generator' that charges deep-cycle batteries. Trouble being that the deep-cycle batteries are sometimes limited to the wattage they can push.

Anyway, onward into pork rib membranes...

-----------------------------------------

Foreign impromptu food experiences for us included being in The Hague in 1991, and going into a pub for a lunch and a beer, where they had these things that were shaped like medium-size sausages, but they were breaded, and crispy on the outside. Never ran into them again, and no clue what to look for in researching them, but MAN(!!!) the little buggers were tasty!!!

moose eater

The tail-end of dry-rub application, and now a hefty pan with five racks of wrapped ribs is in the fridge. Stay tuned..

Always wrap and stack with the meat side down for the purpose of marinating the meat with the juices.

When they go into the smoker, however, it's meat-side up, so the fat and meat can marinate the ribs as the stuff drips down from the heat..

These will develop a crust QUITE nicely in the smoker... tomorrow morning or so...

DSCN0581.JPG
DSCN0582.JPG

moose eater

28 sections of pork ribs are done, with about 3 having been consumed a moment ago, and the bulk of the remainder headed for the bush, wrapped in foil and in a cooler with ice packs.

All but 4 fit into my propane smoker, which produces a better product than my digital; the digital being a dryer outcome, with less smoke in the flavor, due to the way the thing functions.

The walk-in fish smoker smokes at too low a temperature for pork ribs, but uses a modified Canadian air-tight wood stove on 1/4" (?) plate steel and heavy-duty casters. I wish it could reach the temps for pork ribs, as it burns primarily local alder, and the flavor is incredible.

Mmmmmmmm!!!! Another interruption to the vegan diet, but I figure pigs eat grain, and we are what we eat, right?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0586.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	17940310
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0584.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	17940311
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0589.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	17940312
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0588.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.6 KB ID:	17940313

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
dammit, moose! you're gonna have every dang bear in 20 miles circling your camp, and probably have human visitors as well, lol. there just aint no place so remote that you can hide food like that ...

moose eater

dammit, moose! you're gonna have every dang bear in 20 miles circling your camp, and probably have human visitors as well, lol. there just aint no place so remote that you can hide food like that ...

They received rave reviews. The rub has coarse sea salt, brown sugar (a sin in my diet), heavy black pepper, moderate white pepper, chili powder, a touch of cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, sage, fresh-ground nutmeg, lots of coarse thyme, yellow mustard powder, lotsa smoked paprika, a bit of coriander, and I forget what else.

Trying to stick to a vegan diet, so I rarely do them, but it was a treat for my friend out in the mountains.

We ate them over 3 days or so.

At one point I caught a tiny vole in the shed we use as a refrigerator this time of year, running away from a left-over rib in a tin foil wrap. I hesitated to squish the little bugger for the crime of having good taste, despite his trespasses.

Cuddles

They received rave reviews. The rub has coarse sea salt, brown sugar (a sin in my diet), heavy black pepper, moderate white pepper, chili powder, a touch of cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, sage, fresh-ground nutmeg, lots of coarse thyme, yellow mustard powder, lotsa smoked paprika, a bit of coriander, and I forget what else.

Trying to stick to a vegan diet, so I rarely do them, but it was a treat for my friend out in the mountains.

We ate them over 3 days or so.

At one point I caught a tiny vole in the shed we use as a refrigerator this time of year, running away from a left-over rib in a tin foil wrap. I hesitated to squish the little bugger for the crime of having good taste, despite his trespasses.

coriander ?!?! Now I´m glad I couldn´t have any, lol.
Btw it´s good to hear that you´re feeling better and that you´re out and about again, doing more enjoyable stuff :)

Latest posts

Latest posts