What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

Sunshineinabag

The whole shebang bang

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_174259.jpg
    IMG_20201219_174259.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201219_174313.jpg
    IMG_20201219_174313.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 28

superx

Veteran
Is this breakfast man? And what are those rectangular things beside the burgers.

Enjoy, I just scoffed a packet of fig rolls, gluttony.

Green Squall

Is this breakfast man? And what are those rectangular things beside the burgers.

Enjoy, I just scoffed a packet of fig rolls, gluttony.

Looks like meatloaf. Us Americans like to mix a bunch of stuff with ground beef, form it into a loaf and bake it in the oven lol. Meatloaf was definitely a once a week thing in my household when growing up. Served with mashed potatoes and broccoli, quintessential comfort food!

-------------

Not eating anything right now, but I'm preparing a slab of coho salmon for tomorrow. Prepping it to bake and also make salmon rolls with rice paper.

G

Looks like meatloaf. Us Americans like to mix a bunch of stuff with ground beef, form it into a loaf and bake it in the oven lol. Meatloaf was definitely a once a week thing in my household when growing up. Served with mashed potatoes and broccoli, quintessential comfort food!

-------------

Not eating anything right now, but I'm preparing a slab of coho salmon for tomorrow. Prepping it to bake and also make salmon rolls with rice paper.

The silver salmon sounds good, 'squall.

We sometimes make up what would be a moose meatloaf, with bread crumbs, panko (BLEH!!), onion, celery, tomato paste, sweet peppers, rolled oats, raw eggs, jalapeno peppers, and what ever other seasonings (sometimes a bit of basil, otherwise chili or BBQ types of seasonings), and make both burgers AND meatloaf from the same batch of mix.... maybe in the loaf pans, we add layers of strips of raw bacon and various cheeses.

Just did that the other day, I think.
------------------------------------------
Anyway, just munched on some decarbed CBD flowers, chased down with some pistachio nuts, seltzer water, and RO H2O with some lemon juice and a lime seltzer added to it.

Green Squall

The silver salmon sounds good, 'squall.

We sometimes make up what would be a moose meatloaf, with bread crumbs, panko (BLEH!!), onion, celery, tomato paste, sweet peppers, rolled oats, raw eggs, jalapeno peppers, and what ever other seasonings (sometimes a bit of basil, otherwise chili or BBQ types of seasonings), and make both burgers AND meatloaf from the same batch of mix.... maybe in the loaf pans, we add layers of strips of raw bacon and various cheeses.

Just did that the other day, I think.
------------------------------------------
Anyway, just munched on some decarbed CBD flowers, chased down with some pistachio nuts, seltzer water, and RO H2O with some lemon juice and a lime seltzer added to it.

The Coho salmon is sold frozen as a whole fillet. I got a little over a pound for less than $14. Not bad considering I live on the opposite coast. They stopped carrying it for a while and I personally asked the people in the seafood department to start ordering it again lol.

The thing I love about meatloaf is that there is no wrong way to do it. Literally everyone has a different recipe. Your ingredients sound great, although I've never heard of oatmeal in the mix. Perhaps I'll give that a try sometime.

G

The Coho salmon is sold frozen as a whole fillet. I got a little over a pound for less than $14. Not bad considering I live on the opposite coast. They stopped carrying it for a while and I personally asked the people in the seafood department to start ordering it again lol.

The thing I love about meatloaf is that there is no wrong way to do it. Literally everyone has a different recipe. Your ingredients sound great, although I've never heard of oatmeal in the mix. Perhaps I'll give that a try sometime.

Yeah, I resent panko mostly because it's just white bread crumbs with excess sugar.... BLEH!!!... again.

Oatmeal does the same thing eggs, bread crumbs, potato chip crumbs, panko, etc., do. Just acts as a glue of sorts, to help hold everything together, and absorbs some of the grease that helps to give meat dishes that lethally unhealthy tasty flavor.

And the oatmeal is a relatively neutral flavor in all of that stuff.

Bought a box containing 3 or 4 decent-size bags of panko in it, maybe 8 years ago. The thing's still hanging on in the cupboard some place, as a family member, every other blue moon, will admit that it's in something.

Personally I think of panko as some food-producing corporation's statement that they dislike folks with diabetes, and they're sleuthing out a way to ambush them when they least suspect it. :D

We/I became salmon snobs years ago. Since then, it's been my belief that in most cases, wild-caught beats the snot out of farmed fish, re. quality, texture, flavor, inherent oils, etc. That said, sockeye or red salmon, from wild-caught stocks, from river systems where the fish are going that much further will typically score higher points in quality (the fish tend to 'pack a lunch' relative to the distance they're traveling, so fish going thousands of miles will often have FAR more fish/salmon oil on-board than a hatchery fish or wild fish that are traveling a handful of miles, when compared to the oil content in fish that are going 1,000 or 2,000 miles in their spawning run. Had a wager to this effect with a friend who lived near the Kenai River, and we would dip-net both the Kenai stocks, as well as the Chitina, which is largely mostly wild stocks. He'd been skeptical, but I took back alder-smoked red salmon from both places for him to sample, and made a believer of him).

For (First Nations' style) traditional salmon strips; KING SALMON... no close second..... maybe sockeye/reds. Distant 3rd place, chum salmon (dog salmon) make some pretty good traditional strips, as they can be very oily fish).

Non-Native/white-man style smoked fish, a large difference between them and Native strips being the traditional strips use no sugar in the brine; sockeye/red salmon (one and the same species, sockeye = red).

Grilling; reds, kings, or chums.

Alternative strip source: chums (chum salmon = dog salmon)

I've found hatchery salmon to lack oil, have different thickness/size to meat flakes and larger body size, lesser flavor, etc. "More is less".

Pink salmon runs, which are prolific in some places up here, to include Valdez, are, in my experience, tantamount to a curse. The run is heavy, the fish are very fishy tasting, and smoked they turn into shoe leather, or if smoked softer, taste like.... pink salmon. I always figured the chum salmon got a raw deal, and the pinks should have been regarded as 'dog salmon'. If I were really hungry, I might consider a pink salmon.... if there were nothing else to eat at the time. :D

--------------------------------------------

Just wolfed down about 10 pistachio nuts, taking the time to shell them.

Had about 4 oz. of box-wine Malbec at 13.5% abv.

Calling that dinner for now.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Pal's biscuits & gravy and a large order of their cheddar rounds...nope, not supposed to be eating stuff like that, but i'm not gonna eat nasty crap the rest of my life to make my doctor happy.:D

Green Squall

Moose, I avoid farmed fish for the most part, with the exception of the occasional Faroe Island salmon. They seem to do it right, care about the environment and don't give the fish antibiotics and hormones. It runs about $14/lb. I also eat sockeye and chum, but have never had red. Chum's a good deal since its usually dirt cheap and I like the flavor. King is a little rich for my blood, but I'll buy it once a summer when its flown in fresh. Don't tell anyone, but I occasionally buy canned pink salmon to have on hand in the cupboard along with tuna, and yeah, it doesn't taste very good, but I continue to buy it for some reason. Other than that, I stick to the native fish around here. Couldn't tell you what my favorite is, but I'd say haddock is the most sought after. Not bad price was at $7.50/lb for the baby and a little more for full size. A classic dish is baked haddock with crushed Ritz crackers and lemon. Very simple and easy to make.

G

Moose, I avoid farmed fish for the most part, with the exception of the occasional Faroe Island salmon. They seem to do it right, care about the environment and don't give the fish antibiotics and hormones. It runs about $14/lb. I also eat sockeye and chum, but have never had red. Chum's a good deal since its usually dirt cheap and I like the flavor. King is a little rich for my blood, but I'll buy it once a summer when its flown in fresh. Don't tell anyone, but I occasionally buy canned pink salmon to have on hand in the cupboard along with tuna, and yeah, it doesn't taste very good, but I continue to buy it for some reason. Other than that, I stick to the native fish around here. Couldn't tell you what my favorite is, but I'd say haddock is the most sought after. Not bad price was at $7.50/lb for the baby and a little more for full size. A classic dish is baked haddock with crushed Ritz crackers and lemon. Very simple and easy to make.

Yeah, the red/sockeye salmon, in my experience, is the very best all around fish for baking, grilling, smoking, etc.

Currently my family can take (based on household membership numbers) 45 fish at the Chitina personal-use dip-net fishery, little to no limit if I put a fish wheel or other subsistence method of catch in ABOVE the bridge there that separates subsistence from personal use (hair-splitting definitions, really).

We can take another 45 salmon at Kenai/Soldotna, at their personal use dip-net fishery, but I gave up fishing over there; too many miles, too many boats, too many cops, slower, more shallow water, and, as a result, measurable questionable bacteria in the water and fish samples.

I have a sizable bag of tilapia fillets in the freezer at the moment.. No idea of the history of the fish species, other than these days, as we decimate the fisheries, we're eating fish for the last 20 years that had someone asked if we wanted some of X fish 40 years ago, many of us who have lived on the coast likely wouldn't have had a clue what species they were talking about.

Pollack is a fine example of a sub-par fish that could be caught in massive numbers by trawlers (who were busily destroying the other populations as they raked the bottom with HUGE nets.

The trickle-down of hormones, preservatives, etc., all have some capacity to set us up for medical issues down the road.

There was a shrimp farm off the Coast of SE Thailand that had just the right tides to properly cleanse or flush their 'farmed critters'' areas.

---------------------------------------------

Having steamed cauliflower, steamed cabbage, broccoli seed sprouts, and I'll either thaw some pollock fish sticks for my younger son, or thaw some pork country style spare ribs, leaving most to cook on the grill in a couple days, but using some of it for stir-fried pork and veggies with brown rice... more aptly tomorrow..

Fish sticks it is..

5 oz. glass of cabernet sauvignon, 12 oz. can of seltzer water, a sip of black, dark, French Roast coffee, and chores.

Green Squall

Interesting to hear about the fishing limits for salmon. I go for striper in the warmer months and its 1 per day if its between 28-35 inches. I probably caught over 50 this season, but unfortunately only a got couple keepers. I desperately need a boat!! I very much regret selling my Wilderness Systems kayak at this point... Mackerel is another fish that is always plentiful and although most people use it as bait, I quite like it as table fare. This is a fish you either love or hate..

Tilapia is a fish I won't touch. From what I've read, it has a very uneven omega 3 to omega 6 ratio, making it extremely inflammatory, however I can see the appeal, as its cheap and mild tasting, so I'm not judging here. Give me pollock any day though and I'll be happy! I occasionally hook small ones in the summer and often see it at the local fish monger at a hard to beat price. Honestly, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between that and cod in a blind taste test. There are sooo many fish that taste great and are underutilized.

Sadly, 100% clean food is most likely becoming a thing of the past. I guess the best we can do is make the least harmful choice. I'm mostly worried about mercury, which is why I eat very little swordfish and tuna. God damn I love swordfish, but the mercury levels are ^^^^^!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
crock pot cooked roast beef & tiny red taters, slow cooked for 12 hours. incredibly tender way to do a roast...damn stuff is addictive!:good:

shithawk420

Veteran
I like talapia but it is absolutely gross cause most of it comes from Asian fish farms.saw a documentary on it awhile back.they basically live and eat their own shit.i quit buying it.i liked to make fish tacos with them.guess ill stick to cod.

G

I like talapia but it is absolutely gross cause most of it comes from Asian fish farms.saw a documentary on it awhile back.they basically live and eat their own shit.i quit buying it.i liked to make fish tacos with them.guess ill stick to cod.

Cod's only a bit more money than tilapia. I had no idea of the issues you and 'squall raised, 'hawk.

Makes me leery on eating the stuff now, as this is s crucial time, health-wise.

We have numerous types of cod here; pacific, Alaska, gray, black, ling, and more. Some of that may be redundant, mind you.

--------------------------------------
'squall,

Those fishing catch limits are specifically for dip-net/personal use fisheries, and they are for residents only, as our subsistence fisheries are resident only.

For sport fisheries we still have fairly conservative limits.

Subsistence fishing, whether with nets, dip-net, or fish wheel/trap, is really a mater of personal policing, as the limits are FAR more loose for the subsistence group, and we get to choose (at Chitina, anyway), whether we want to fish up-stream from the bridge on the Copper River, or down-stream, with those fishing down-stream from the bridge being 'personal use,' and those above the bridge being 'subsistence.'
---------------------------------------

Re. food health and quality control, I look back to just last year, where the Country had at least 2, if not 3 emergencies re. E.coli and romaine lettuce, and at least in one case, it was discovered that a large fresh veggie farm in (I believe) Arizona, had irrigation canals running past cattle farms, to where the lettuce was being farmed, and picking up fecal contamination from the cattle farms as the water passed by on its way to the produce farms.

Keeping our food, fertilizers, children's toys, and so much more, clean and contaminant-free has been a hit and miss effort, despite our 'modern industrial' existence.

---------------------------------------------

Just had steamed cauliflower, steamed cabbage, half of a <medium avocado , some black French Roast coffee, a grapefruit seltzer water, and.... We're off to... chores of some sort.

Green Squall

Probably a smart idea to avoid seafood from most parts of Asia. Very loose regulations over there. The frozen shrimp for example is usually from India or Thailand and it barely has any flavor. I find that Argentine red shrimp is an excellent alternative. A lot of grocery stores sell it frozen.

I also bought some wild greenland shrimp recently and its gets two thumbs up from me. Very similar to the native stuff, but we haven't seen it in years because the assholes at NOAA shut down the fishery. Their prerogative seems to be fucking over hard working, small time fisherman. Don't get me started on that shit.

troutman

Seed Whore

Most Tilipias these days sold in North America are cultured closer to you than Asia. Here's just 2 sources and there are many more. ;)

https://www.cleanfish.com/suncoast-tilapia

https://www.regalsprings.com/our-tilapia/

G

Decarboxylated CBD flowers, smoked almonds, steamed cauliflower and cabbage, and letting the anti-freeze cook out of my near-antique Subaru, as it sat through the last month of 2 of colder weather, and over time it allows some of the reservoir to settle into the cylinders; not thin enough or enough space to run out once it gets in there, but thin enough, apparently, to seep in past a head gasket (at least, that's my preliminary assessment...) .

5 oz. of cabernet sauvignon, a seltzer water, RO H2O, a bit of rest with the pups, night time supplements and pill, and, if I'm lucky, enough energy left over to do some chores tonight, and transfer heating fuel tomorrow, as well as FINALLY doing the Fall HRV break-down and heavy cleaning..

superx

Veteran
Bacon sausage egg inside a large floury toasted bap....

My version of the Irish breakfast roll which Ireland was built on...

Latest posts

Latest posts