What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

G

Steamed, wild-caught, 16-20 count, Alaska spot shrimp, fresh frozen from the Gulf of Alaska/Prince William Sound area. Dredged plain, after steaming & peeling, in melted butter with granulated California garlic then downed rapidly... but ONLY after slurping the red egg sacks from the bellies as they're being peeled.

Mmmmm.

Not good for my cholesterol, but I've behaved pretty well this week, so....

Chased down with RO H2O with lime juice in it, and a grapefruit seltzer water.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
had sausage, bacon, a hamburger steak, and a piece of pineapple upside-down cake i made the other night. i'm trying to quit bread, potatoes, sugar, etc. other than the cake, not much wrong with THIS meal. and it was made with a Splenda-brown sugar mix...:tiphat: bread...it is so evil...and wonderful simultaneously.:dance013:

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks Billy.

No, not familiar with the Doc you referenced.

My wife has put a fair bit of stock into a Canadian medical outlet's publications on-line that involves perspectives re. cholesterol, carbohydrates, fasting, etc., and that's been helpful in 'accurizing' some of the information represented by raw lab data, following blood draws, and such.

Most of what I've learned about nutrition has come as a matter of necessity; allowing my excesses to put me into positions of needing to learn what I need to do in order to undo the outcomes I've created over time. :laughing:

Diabetes made it necessary to learn about carbohydrates and the body's conversion of sugars, as well as how whole grain items can often have greater carb counts, but actually process more slowly, which is why they're often healthier/safer, despite having greater raw carb numbers in many cases.

Yesum turned me (and others) onto the broccoli sprouts as a miracle food, and source of sulforaphane. I was skeptical about them, but we did our research, and they are apparently the real deal.... and for more than just persons with cancer.

(**Cancer was my most recent teacher re. meat proteins, and cancer thriving on them... BUMMER!!! For a LONG time I engaged in a routine or habit of having one slice of sprouted grain bread and ONE hard-boiled egg for breakfast, along with a fair bit of good coffee. Then I found out my cancer likes my eggs, cheese, cream, beef, pork, chicken, and various sea food at least as much as I do!!! And the coffee reportedly isn't helping a great deal either!!!).

Anyway, once the information re. the broccoli sprouts was made more clear to us, then more reading led to the information about what helps to activate the sulforaphane.

"Must is the motivator" was the saying on the river, years ago, and especially during winter. Seems that "must is the motivator" is still a primary propellant in my learning curves. :tiphat:

My uncle hasn't eaten pork or beef in almost 30 years and his health is still going down hill.i really think it's all a matter of genetics.either you body can handle it or not.its a shame to see his dedication go to shit.diabetes is kicking his ass.his vision is going too.doesnt drink but has a little sweet tooth.maybe from the pot he smokes lol

shithawk420

Veteran
had sausage, bacon, a hamburger steak, and a piece of pineapple upside-down cake i made the other night. i'm trying to quit bread, potatoes, sugar, etc. other than the cake, not much wrong with THIS meal. and it was made with a Splenda-brown sugar mix...:tiphat: bread...it is so evil...and wonderful simultaneously.:dance013:

You aren't quitting the sausage bacon and burger but your quitting the potatoes and bread? There's no way I'm giving that up.gotta have my potatoes.id rather quit meat

G

My uncle hasn't eaten pork or beef in almost 30 years and his health is still going down hill.i really think it's all a matter of genetics.either you body can handle it or not.its a shame to see his dedication go to shit.diabetes is kicking his ass.his vision is going too.doesnt drink but has a little sweet tooth.maybe from the pot he smokes lol

Like with many things, some are coming to understand it's a 'combination of nature and nurture.'

Some folks have predisposed vulnerability to diabetes, high cholesterol, etc., Same for cancers.

But there are also diets, environmental chemicals or toxins, and much more that can affect what happens to our bodies and adaptation.

The reference I made to the on-line publication from Ontario had, in part, to do with their assertions that a lot of the issues with cholesterol, for some persons, are, indeed, a matter of genetic predisposition; some persons have high cholesterol even when eating relatively healthy, and for some, if predisposed to high cholesterol, then eating things that further raise cholesterol isn't going to improve the circumstances for those folks in most/many cases.

If a person has a genetic predisposition to diabetes, then eating a lot of carbs, or 'fast' 'dirty carbs' isn't going to put them at less risk for developing diabetes.

Even then, each person has their own resistance to things. Some persons with diabetes can eat things like watermelon, and some can't. And those same persons, like the rest of us, are living with bodies and metabolisms that are changing (somewhat regularly) as they age. It's possible for persons to eat a specific diet, and not have it be a problem for them, then 1, 2, 5, 15, or how ever many years later, they have problems with that same diet.

In those cases, it's far more plausible that their bodies and dietary needs changed, and not the nature of the food they were eating.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yes.that makes sense and thank you for posting that.its quite possibly stress is the culprit too.also I want to point out a book I read recently.its called "the bodies many cries for water". basically the author claims a lot of diseases are caused from dehydration.and it makes sense because people are drinking less water these days.its worth checking out.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
You aren't quitting the sausage bacon and burger but your quitting the potatoes and bread? There's no way I'm giving that up.gotta have my potatoes.id rather quit meat

docs tell me the potatoes, bread, corn, beans etc turn to sugar as they are digested. meat does not ferment like they do. this is why most diabetics die from heart disease instead of diabetes . they quit eating shit that worsens diabetes, but die of heart disease. when i die, i'd just as soon have my arms, legs, feet etc. amputations do not sound good. i like bacon more than potatoes. it's a close call, but the one i have made.

shithawk420

Veteran
docs tell me the potatoes, bread, corn, beans etc turn to sugar as they are digested. meat does not ferment like they do. this is why most diabetics die from heart disease instead of diabetes . they quit eating shit that worsens diabetes, but die of heart disease. when i die, i'd just as soon have my arms, legs, feet etc. amputations do not sound good. i like bacon more than potatoes. it's a close call, but the one i have made.

I'm sorry buddy.if I live that long it's gonna be up my alley.diabetes.i haven't had bacon in a while.can it be eaten 3 or 4 times a year or is that for debate? It could cause artery problems And I'm not eating that turkey bacan stuff either.whats the point?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I'm sorry buddy.if I live that long it's gonna be up my alley.diabetes.i haven't had bacon in a while.can it be eaten 3 or 4 times a year or is that for debate? It could cause artery problems And I'm not eating that turkey bacan stuff either.whats the point?

i eat bacon multiple times weekly.:yummy: the turkey bacon is actually pretty good. it aint bacon, but it aint bad if you put some pepper on it while frying. i sprinkle some chili powder as well...:tiphat:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
3 strips of. Pork bacon 2 scrambled eggs and an peanut/strawberry jelly with strawberry syrup and an side of breakfast blend coffee with stevia\ almond milk creamer.

shithawk420

Veteran
i eat bacon multiple times weekly.:yummy: the turkey bacon is actually pretty good. it aint bacon, but it aint bad if you put some pepper on it while frying. i sprinkle some chili powder as well...:tiphat:

Ok.you knew I was gonna give you shit for that.unless you have some wierd tastbuds that's a lie! Ya know I love ya buddy but I'm not buying what your selling! Pork belly! You know this! Real cracklings!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Ok.you knew I was gonna give you shit for that.unless you have some wierd tastbuds that's a lie! Ya know I love ya buddy but I'm not buying what your selling! Pork belly! You know this! Real cracklings!

shoot, i don't WANT folks to buy it. f'ing price would go up if it was more popular...$2 a lb here vs $4.50 & up for pigmeat...

shithawk420

Veteran
LMAO! I Hear you! Local place is selling $8 dollars a pound for bacon.good Lord that's expensive! I'm gonna learn to cook pork belly one day.thats good eating!

shithawk420

Veteran
Man, coleslaw biscuits and gravy from KFC just got my mouth watering.i gotta get some of that.wish there was a Popeyes by me.i wanna try that damn sandwich.id put coleslaw on that

Green Squall

Homemade pico de gallo. I added a bit of cucumber, green bell pepper and extra cilantro.

picture.php