What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

This pizza looks nice, is it homemade?
Thanks, yes. Ricotta, mozzarella, some garlic-infused olive oil, red pepper, oregano and parsley. All organic. I don't have a pizza oven so I heat a big cast iron skillet in a 500-degree oven, press the dough into the skillet and add the toppings. Then into the oven for 17 minutes.

mike-or-ozzy

Thanks, yes. Ricotta, mozzarella, some garlic-infused olive oil, red pepper, oregano and parsley. All organic. I don't have a pizza oven so I heat a big cast iron skillet in a 500-degree oven, press the dough into the skillet and add the toppings. Then into the oven for 17 minutes.

Thank you for the recipe @Douglas Fir, gonna give that a go. Good stuff for munchies! :cool:

shithawk420

Veteran
My pleasure. Should have mentioned the dough is lightly dusted with flour when I press it into the skillet, to prevent it from sticking. Also -- be careful pressing dough into a 500-degree cast iron skillet, haha.
I was just going to say,you press it while its hot? How the hell do you do that? potentially dangerous for sure

I was just going to say,you press it while its hot? How the hell do you do that? potentially dangerous for sure
Haha. Don't touch the skillet, basically. It's actually much easier than it sounds and you don't even feel any heat when you do it. Unless you touch the skillet. A safer approach would be to use oven mitts. Oh but I do use oven mitts to get the skillet out of the oven. Regular cloth kind won't cut it at 500 degrees. I use the silicone-coated kind.

endgegner

I really love homemade pizza.
My version looks like this:
pizza.jpg

I would say it is better than a prepared pizza (even like those fancy ones for 3-4 euros) but not as amazing as one from the Italian restaurant. But really awesome if you need to gain weight and muscles. I eat it almost everyday then since it has a lot of fat and protein. (I know it's not the healthy fat, but it does its job :))

I really love homemade pizza.
My version looks like this:
View attachment 18985669

I would say it is better than a prepared pizza (even like those fancy ones for 3-4 euros) but not as amazing as one from the Italian restaurant. But really awesome if you need to gain weight and muscles. I eat it almost everyday then since it has a lot of fat and protein. (I know it's not the healthy fat, but it does its job :))
Nice crust. Looks like you used a baking stone, no? That white pizza is especially high in protein. I just did the math and it's approximately 68 grams or 8.5 grams per slice.

One that's easier to make at home is the grandma pizza which started on Long Island, New York but I believe it's based on the Italian pizza casalinga (housewife pizza). Basically a thin crust pizza made in a cast iron pan, mozarella slices on bottom, thin layer of crushed tomatoes on top along with a little garlic and olive oil. I make them all the time so I'll probably post a pic one of these days.

endgegner

Nice crust. Looks like you used a baking stone, no? That white pizza is especially high in protein. I just did the math and it's approximately 68 grams or 8.5 grams per slice.
No, I have a gas oven, that gets quite high and used a normal baking tray. I only need to bake it for maximum 10 minutes.

I have mainly used this tutorial, but adjusted it to my liking and environment:

No, I have a gas oven, that gets quite high and used a normal baking tray. I only need to bake it for maximum 10 minutes.

I have mainly used this tutorial, but adjusted it to my liking and environment:

That video is impressive. I was born and raised in New York and I've been making my own pizza since I was 10 (43 years). That is a very authentic recipe for New York pizza. Except for the sugar. Skip the sugar. Not that no one in New York uses it but not the better places. There's no need for it, especially with a 48-hour rise. Even a small amount of sugar changes the flavor in a way that for me is unpleasant. But I wouldn't object to a little barley malt instead which actually improves the flavor, in my opinion, as well as speeds up the fermentation.

endgegner

That video is impressive. I was born and raised in New York and I've been making my own pizza since I was 10 (43 years). That is a very authentic recipe for New York pizza. Except for the sugar. Skip the sugar. Not that no one in New York uses it but not the better places. There's no need for it, especially with a 48-hour rise. Even a small amount of sugar changes the flavor in a way that for me is unpleasant. But I wouldn't object to a little barley malt instead which actually improves the flavor, in my opinion, as well as speeds up the fermentation.
I tried it with and without sugar, but slightly preferred the sugar version.
For homemade pizza I prefer the NY version, as the thin dough fits really well with being more crusty. But in restaurants I prefer the Napoli version.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Hello Mitsu, I don´t know why but we never had an eye for fresh fish, mostly fishsticks and bordelaise, but since 8 weeks we often buy fish and not always meat. :)

I'm in Los Angeles now, where the pizza is generally terrible. There are a thousand places here with "New York Pizza" in their name and they're all bad and not New York in any way. One exception is my local spot, Joe's Pizza, run by a New York transplant. Very good and just the quintessential New York pizza.

endgegner

I'm in Los Angeles now, where the pizza is generally terrible. There are a thousand places here with "New York Pizza" in their name and they're all bad and not New York in any way. One exception is my local spot, Joe's Pizza, run by a New York transplant. Very good and just the quintessential New York pizza.

The guy from my recipe also used Joe's Pizza as one of his references. So I can imagine it is authentic NY Pizza. I never tried any auhtentic NY Pizza though, as I have never visited the US so far.

shithawk420

Veteran
I dont know Herman. Many Chinese places dont have duck. Ive been looking around and only found 2 places with duck. Yours looks very good!

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
I dont know Herman. Many Chinese places dont have duck. Ive been looking around and only found 2 places with duck. Yours looks very good!
Once it was funny, Herman and wife in NYC Chinatown. We thought now real chinese food, but in the end it could be in every chinese restaurant. :)

2W-oZX.gif

Cuddles

seriously ??? I can´t even imagine a chinese or even korean not having duck on the menu , how odd.
But perhaps you´re in an area where people just aren´t into duck very much?

You know that restaurants from wherever the owners and chefs happen to be from tend to adapt to locals taste and preferences when they´re in a different country.
I only know this because I once watched a TV program about chinese restaurants and they showed how different the cuisine was from ours - ie where I was living and the dishes they serve in restaurants in China. It was a real eye opener and also a bit sad as I had always assumed that we eat the same food and dishes as the people in China.

Latest posts

Latest posts