What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Baked and Go Fishing

Green Squall

Went fishing for striper both yesterday and today, but the area was infested with pollock. Decided to keep a bunch today, which will make a couple meals and the rest will be used as bait.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pollock.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	17887642

Green Squall

Went fishing for striper today and got my first keep of the season (a little over 28 inches.) This fish has a nice meaty texture which cooks great on the grill.

striper.jpg

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
A little tomboy girl and I have been fishing the pond about every other afternoon lately. Fish finder means nothing. We have those bluegill so conditioned, they ignore our jigs but eat up floating food thrown right in front of us. The water looks like it is boiling for the fish eating the food.

But as far as them biting our stuff... "The jig is up".

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Hahaha..was just joking...Even a blank day at sea beats a good day in the office, and I got a pretty cool office! Bluegill LOL they will eat a bare hook if you chum them up enough.

Tangwena

Veteran
Same spot different day thought we would stop there on the way home from somewhere else.
Hectic one hour session as the tide turned.

100_4512.JPG

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Jeepers, our grouper species (rockcods here) have largely collapsed stocks..one cant go fill a bag like that for the last few decades, slow to grow, slow to reproduce species..Looks very similar to our catfaced rockcod.

Tangwena

Veteran
Jeepers, our grouper species (rockcods here) have largely collapsed stocks..one cant go fill a bag like that for the last few decades, slow to grow, slow to reproduce species..Looks very similar to our catfaced rockcod.

We have a well managed fishery in Australia we are allowed 3 per person they have to be over 450mm and no bigger than 1000mm the bigger ones are the good breeders.
The ones in the picture average between 600 and 700mm the best size for eating I return anything smaller than 600mm

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah we've been trying to get slot limits implemented for years...Our fisheries dept. has been backward for the last 2 decades and there was no scientific knowledge before that..and bar the last 3 years, the previous 15 years the president of the country was actively getting bribes from poaching syndicates and trying not to limit anything and trying not to enforce regulations. And the average joe hhas no education in what supports a stock or not and the mentality is I must take it before someone else does.

RicFlair

A couple of my catches from the river this week

Attachments

• photo2059620.jpg
    photo2059620.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2059621.jpg
    photo2059621.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 45

Green Squall

This striper was only 28 inches, but it put up a hell of a fight and I ended up snapping my rod trying to bring it on to the rocks.

striped bass.jpg