What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I have found a new passion. Got two great guidebooks and a property next door unoccupied, 4 acres or so, to search on. Varied trees, much redwood, but not all.

Such a nice leasurely pursuit. Have enjoyed a few bites with some I am sure about, and learning about the rest. They are funny, and I am sure sometimes I feel something. Tonight, I added a particularly chunky Chanterelle to an omelet, and I am sure I got a little buzz. Probably ruining my credibility with that statement, but whatever.

There is something magical about Natural Wild Mushrooms..!!!

Have found quite a lot of different ones. Will list them as well as put up some pics.. YOU..?

Boletus Edulis (King Bolete, Porcini, Gamboni - local name)
Yellow Chanterelles
Zeller's Bolete
Suillus - Short Stemmed Slippery Jack in profusion
Poor Man's Slippery Jack
Red Mycenae - no eat.
Amanitas of all kinds orange, beige, brown..
others.

S

SeaMaiden

I have wanted to learn more because I love mushrooms. However, the gimpy knee and other stuff keep getting in the way. And then I've been reading about some deaths nearby of folks who've eaten wild mushies that the cook thought were safe.

I've never tasted morelles, chanterelles, or porcini. There are more, but those are off the toppamah.

stasis

Veteran
Chanterelles DO have poisonous lookalikes, the Jack-O-Lantern is the problematic one. On the otherhand, the Chanterelles almost never have worms (Fly Larvae - maggots)..

ONE of the cool things about Mushrooming is that One MUST use a slow gait or One will miss some specimens.. I was quite injured (still am to a certain extent) by some sort of -temporary, but all-pervasive- Back injury and the searches have helped me to loosen up the injury...

I understand the considerations regarding Poisoning. There are ways to eliminate the possibility. Certain Methods of eating - especially at first, until One learns UNEQUIVOCALLY which are OK to eat. Just a couple bites of something One has not yet eaten. See in 24 hours if any negative reactions. Some people get gastric upset even from highly edible species...! And some Folks NEVER get sick unless they take in something truly poisonous. Most Mushrooms, at worst will provide one with numerous trips to the "facilities," not more than that.

One does NOT eat Mushrooms with Poisonous Lookalikes... Or most LBM's (Little Brown Mushrooms) because they are difficult if not impossible to positively identify, so forget it.

Things like King Boletes, are hard to mistake. Most Boletes (which are obvious as such - have NO Gills, and profuse in NorCal) are OK to eat. At worst, they may taste bland - like some Slippery Jacks do.

With the Boletes, One must usually get to them when they are quite young, before the aforementioned Worms get in. They LOVE Boletes, especially Kings. (Porcinis). Eating Wormy specimens is obviosuly not appetizing, but if there are only a few, no harm done. One cuts boletes vertically through the whole mushroom to check for the buggers. A little extra protein isn't harmful, but I avoid them in total.

Nor do I eat GILLED mushrooms, at least not yet. Not skilled enough to tell them apart.

IF IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT>.! The adage that saves Ya.

I recommend Californians get into this, we are blessed to have incredible specimens all among us. The envy of Mycologists worldwide.

Best Plan is get two different GOOD Guidebooks. I have Audubon's field book and David Arora's Mushrooms Demystified.

Pot Growers or afficionados are perfect for this hobby. It seems similar to what we do, and the various types also appeal to the connoisseur/collector in all of us.

The Main edible ones I seek and find at the particular piece-o-land that I have access to are:

King Bolete - da best - tastes like a steak.
Zeller's Bolete - really cool black velvety cap - not so flavorful, some people are sensitive to this one.
Slippery Jack (short Stemmed Suillus) - not so good tasting as a King, but prevalent
Chanterelles (rare at this spot) - wish there were more..! Yesterday's was VERY CHUNKY and Super-tasty.
One shroom was enough for an omelet. Dense like an OG Kush nug.. haha..

Later on, the Yellow Foot Chanterelles come out, and can be profuse.
Have seen a couple psychodelics - no desire here.

Uploading pics right now.

Last edited:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
remember this.... Fire morels...search regrowth along burnout ridge-lines...
and the illustrious shaggy mane...hidden in the meadows..only where the grass blows...
and YES,,,I've been a picker for years....picked It up while @ evergreen

stasis

Veteran
Yes, "It" is a Great Pursuit. I am in love with it. Gonna peel off the skin of a BUNCH of "Short-Stemmed Slippery Jacks" and cook 'em up today. Yesterday, I really enjoyed that chanterelle. It was one of those "Clublike" ones. Very Dense, meaty. Day before, I ate steamed Broccoli w/garlic and a bit of sauteed King Bolete sliced up in there.

Morels are not plentiful in my part of NorCal. I usually don't travel too far to look for Mushies. As long as I see something exciting each time, I am happy. A Bright Amanita, whatever... So, I don;t go too far. Lots of places around here to search. There are 3 or 4 local spots that are accessable, without trespassing. Others know about them, so getting there early is key, if that is where ya want to seek. But, this adjacent property - no one else searches there. No need for "Dawn Patrol," Like surfing in a crowded place. So, I can hide mushrooms until they are moderately mature.

I DID find a great trail the other day, where there was much more variety. Others had been there, definitely though. All the 'Kicker mushrooms" strewn about. Buggy HUGE King Boletes as big as Shaq's Shoes, left aside on the ground.

Lost a King Bolete I hid yesterday, next door. The heavy rains matted down my covering of needles, and now the whole area looks the same. just spent an hour getting wet looking for that Durn B. Edulis. The warm rain does not bother me. Feels like my years on the rainy side of a Hawaiian Island. But, it eluded me.. Most likely it will mold with the rain. May have lost it. But will go out later to look again. It will rise out of the mulch at some point, unless an animal found it, which I doubt. I had hoped to pick it today, and beat the bugs... DOH..! Maybe I will get lucky...

EDIT: Looked again for this monster, but it was not to be found. I think I mistook it for a Yellow veiled Amanita..! Which is now poking thru the duff, in what I think was the same spot. In the future I will insert a stick next to the hidden gem, no one else is around here. Admittedly, I am playing keep-away with the deer.. Pretty deplorable, since I can go to the Food market and they can't...

Shaggy Mane. Don;t see many 'round here. Beautiful 'Shroom, though. Gotta watch OUT with that one. BIG TIME. Natural ANABUSE..! No Alcohol, even days before, it can cause a BAD reaction. Not fatal, but VERY sickening... Can land ya in the Hospital. Coprinus species are the ones Ya gotta watch out w/alcohol. I rarely imbibe, so no worries here.

King Bolete Below.

url]

Last edited:

stasis

Veteran
Cooked up a goodly portion of Short-stemmed Slippery Jacks (Suillus Brevipes). They sauteed down to a small amount. Another Bolete variety. Pretty pure-white short stems. Slimy dark brown cap. Spongy whitish yello pores when mature. Tight when young. As usual - young ones are better.

One must peel off the slimy top (easily done) or risk minor-moderate gastric upset. Very nice. I read some say they don;t like the mealiness of this 'shroom. Not too bad. Tastes great. Just a few bites, had to restrain myself. 2nd time I ate these.

stasis

Veteran
Short-stemmed Slippery Jacks (Suillus Brevipes). On the right. And the big slimy one in front. The Left ones are a different Suillus - perhaps Slippery Jack.

P

PermaBuzz

Good thread. I've taken up mushrooming, quite by accident. Was hiking and wandered into a huge king bolete patch, acres and acres of king boletes , many the size of softballs or larger. And they do taste better than steak. IMO, its one of natures greatest treats and is something that cannot be cultivated, it can only be collected in the wild. I'm hooked.

A word of caution: There are look alikes that can make you real sick that look alot like king boletes. Wont kill you though. I think one is called boletus huroniness. There are so many boletes out there that have subtle differences that are like impossible to find categorized in guidebooks. Eat only a little piece first and wait a few hours before indulging.

Great pastime, it really does slow your gait down and makes for a communion with nature.

S

SeaMaiden

If I did go mushrooming, I would have to leave my binoculars behind or I'd be standing there looking up at the trees. I love birding.

Stasis- You are not crazy, I too have felt the chanterelle buzz. My buddy's family has some land and we go mushroom hunting all the time and it is always a treat.

stasis

Veteran
Stasis- You are not crazy, I too have felt the chanterelle buzz. My buddy's family has some land and we go mushroom hunting all the time and it is always a treat.

Haha... No way..>! It was very mild and lasted only a few minutes. Felt good..~! I almost did not want to admit it..

I have read that mushrooms soak up Vit D from the sun, and transmit it to us... Very rare in nature.

Also, Interesting that Immune-Boosting Mushrooms grow during Cold-Season....

THANKS< Perma - Glad to see ya - Wow, You hit the MOTHERLODE>.. with that field of Kings...!

B. Edulis are a bit chancy to identify until they poke out of the ground in earnest. As a knob, they look like young Amanitas...

Folks, WATCH OUT for that >>!!!

Using a KEY in a good guidebook, not going by photographs - important...
Taking Spore Prints, as well as performing the 'scratch' test saves Us from misery. Many 'Shrooms change color on the stem and or gills/pores when scratched. Guidebooks include these details, and these techniques make it a LOT easier to positively identify varieties. Especially at first, in this hobby, one needs to be careful.

As in Cannabis Growing, "A little knowledge can be dangerous." - makes ya cocky.

Ms. Sea Maiden - I hear ya... What a Sensory Thrill our forests can be for those prone to pay attention.

stasis

Veteran
Good Call Perma. I was unaware of a poisonous lookalike...
These Mushrooms are found in the NorthEast USA and Europe...

"" Greg Marley in Chanterelle Dreams, Amanita Nightmares (2010) mentions B. huronensis in his treatment of B. edulis, making the case in one well crafted paragraph (p. 75-76):

"In the Northeast, one porcini look-alike has been implicated in several sickenings. It is Boletus huronensis, and although some guides call it edible, there have been a few cases of people becoming sickened following a meal of this mushroom. It can be differentiated from porcini by the pore surface that stains slowly blue upon bruising, the yellowish stem color, often with traces of red, and the lack of fine net-like veining on the stalk. Don't eat these mushrooms."""

Last edited:

stasis

Veteran
It is fascinating how Mushrooms are seen as undesirable and non-nutritious. Western Society has a negative POV about them, especially British and North Americans.

It is an old fallacy that there are a lot of poisonous 'shrooms. Many may bring on Gastric Upset, but not much more. Only a small percentage are actually deadly. But, bad news travels fast, and those stories garner more attention than someone enjoying their Chanterelles with dinner...

Regardless, Both Vigilance and Due Diligence are necessary. No one wants to get sick...

I am learning so much.. Very enjoyable.

stasis

Veteran
El Rey de la Costa

El Rey de la Costa

A really large regal King Bolete was hiding very well under a thick evergreen in a wet area. Within Earshot of the Ocean. Less than quarter of a mile. I gasped when I saw it, not 5 minutes into my search..!

Shot Glass for size comparison.

Cooked both of 'em up, light cooking on the large one, Cap only - To keep it around before it spoils.

Ate the smaller one, which I cooked more than lightly, but not much. Super-Dense, very VERY tasty, nutty and a tad crunchy. Even the stem was good.

The big one is Beefier in flavour. Quite different than the smaller one. Even the Monster's large stem had no bugs. Thinking of making a mushroom soup stock with part of the stem of the Big 'Un. This may be the best Mature one I ever find.

Last edited:

stasis

Veteran
Beautiful Morels..! They are like little aliens..! I wonder what they taste like. Never had the pleasure.
Read that they occur around here in the spring.
-------------
Eating that small lightly-cooked dense King Bolete youth - as well as a couple bites of the mature "Tennis Racket" was more Wild Mushroom than I have eaten at one sitting so far in this new hobby.. And I wolfed it down, 'cause it was so good. Claims are that raw B. Edulis is perfectly OK, and tasty.

I can swear I felt something inebriating from this one too. Admittedly weird. 20 or so minutes after consumption. A bit stronger and edgy than what I felt from the chanterelle club I ate the other day (which I liked in total).

5 hours after eating - right now - I feel normal. High on my pot as usual.

A European Gatherer quoted regarding someone complaining of Stomach Upset from a "Steinpilz" (K Bolete) that "The Gods will punish you if you say that..!" Same book also states that ALL Mushrooms are, to a certain extent Indigestable.

The Learning process continues.

-Peeled the slime off of a few Short-stemmed Slippery Jacks for later. They keep well that way.
-Cooked a few young, solid Black-capped Zeller's Boletes that I found in the yard (maybe my favorite mushroom aesthetically). In the fridge for later.
-Preparing Mushroom broth with that King Bolete baseball-bat stem and onions. Tastes amazing. Here we go..!
I am Hope.Less... haha.. Gotta put that away.

Do not want to see another mushroom for a day or two. Will take care of my plants, for a change and take clones... haha..

Covered 'Em, and put the cooked bolete slices away in the Fridge... Put the broth away. Sure smells good. Oh a spoonful won't hurt.... And another. "Dats ONO,. Just "Broke da mouth..!" as they say in Hawai'i..

Hope.Less. As I said... Helpless In the face of a wonderful hobby..

Last edited:

stasis

Veteran
Whoa. Nature provides art. This one shocked me..! Ain;t eating it. Boletus Colopus, pretty sure.

nvthis

Like an easter egg hunt in the adults section...

Been hunting shrooms in northern Cali for years. I've picked/eaten almost everything one could determine edible with the exception of some hard to find types and Amanitas. I know people that eat them, but I do not.

Been poisoned one time. Sort of. Picked some high elevation oysters from a downed pine and they gave me the worst belly ache :( I've eaten oysters from oaks and walnuts and never had an issue before..)

I do love Boletes and Chanterelles, but my personal favs are Marasmius Oreades, Agaricus Subrutilescens, and Agaricus Augustus (for sheer size). Sparassis Crispa, Agaricus Abolutescens and Russula Xerapelina. Boletus Appendiculatus (the season just ended) and definitely the Matsutaki, Armillaria Ponderosa..... Ah hell, I really like them all the best...

The only ones I have eaten that might be similar to Psycs is the Marasmius and the first time I ate a Morel. I didn't catch a buzz so much, but got that weird almost tingly swelling feeling in my throat and tongue. Only happened the one time.

Cool to see so many hunters around.

Some of the ones I would still like to try but have never found.. Agaricus Bitorquis, Tricholoma Flavovirens and some of the Tuber genus..