What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Unreal... Now that you mention it, I noticed that my friend's Boxer Dogs (A Papa and his Daughter Boxer) seem to go unusually crazy when I bring over a bag of mushrooms to show or share. They attack the bag. And, sniff me with great vigour.

At that rate of recompense, I'd rather be walking my dogs legally, getting fitter, finding Mushroom Money - than this you-know-what thing.. haha... That Dude is Resourceful...

Nemachode

I have found a new passion. Got two great guidebooks and a property next door unoccupied, 4 acres or so, to search on. Varied trees, much redwood, but not all.

Such a nice leasurely pursuit. Have enjoyed a few bites with some I am sure about, and learning about the rest. They are funny, and I am sure sometimes I feel something. Tonight, I added a particularly chunky Chanterelle to an omelet, and I am sure I got a little buzz. Probably ruining my credibility with that statement, but whatever.

There is something magical about Natural Wild Mushrooms..!!!

Have found quite a lot of different ones. Will list them as well as put up some pics.. YOU..?

Boletus Edulis (King Bolete, Porcini, Gamboni - local name)
Yellow Chanterelles
Zeller's Bolete
Suillus - Short Stemmed Slippery Jack in profusion
Poor Man's Slippery Jack
Red Mycenae - no eat.
Amanitas of all kinds orange, beige, brown..
others.

Thats quite a nice list, many of which i am unfamiliar with. Here in the north east US i pick chantrells,trumpets,oysters,chickens,lobsters,ink caps and maybe a few others. We have boletus here as well although i am not yet familiar. Happy hunting very soon.

stasis

Veteran
If your Boletus does not have red pores, you will not have a poisonous mushroom.

If the Mushroom stains Blue upon bruising quickly, I'd steer clear of eating it.

A slow bruise to blue may be ok. Some people are more sensitive than others.

Zeller's Bolete is a good example. Some Folks eat this beautiful 'shroom, while Others such as myself, feel a bit of gastronomical distress. In fact, the King Bolete leaves me feeling like I ate a gut bomb.

Hedgehogs and Chanterelles, nothing but Irie Feelings..!!!!

Good Luck out there..!

Nemachode

Im from New England and ive known people to pick the hedge hogs. i would really like to add that one to my list. From what ive seen, there seem to be a great many bolitus look alike around and many other foragers stay away from them for that reason. unfortunately i dont really have anyone to use as a resource on this. Im still learning and intend to continue doing so for as long as i can though. im sure it will be a matter of time before the bolitus is on the menu. Maybe fry it up in some good ole canna buttah'.

stasis

Veteran
oooh that;s an idea..

My easy solution for You is to get two good Guidebooks. One for Your area specifically, and another reference book, like the Audubon Field Guide.

For Many, Boletus are the best of the mushroom species in a way. The Pores are unmistakable. Only a few are bad, and it is easy to avoid them. Some however, experience Gastronomical Distress with Boletes.. I am one of those people..

Hedgehogs are special because there are no 'Toothed Gilled" Mushroom that are Poisonous, or even 'sickening.' (In a literal sense).

Like Golden Chanterelles, they have a meaty, rich flavour, and feel fantastic after eating. Too many of any Mushroom is not wise. To a certain extent the body finds them hard to digest, regardless.

A few tips to stay safe:

Always good to start out with just a few bites of even things you know positvely Identified to be a safe mushroom.

Never mix more than one variety of wild mushroom at least initially in the hobby.

Before cooking, be sure to inspect each and every mushroom to make sure Your Field Identification was accurate,
and to look for worms and such.

Prudent to keep a small piece of any new mushroom One eats aside, just in case tests need to be taken..

And as always, "If in Doubt, Throw it out.."

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
morels are great! i find them some springs while turkey hunting. haul them to camp & lightly saute in butter, with crappie fillets, venison tenderloin, or wild turkey breast fried up. don't get no better than that...

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Some pictures of common mushrooms in Spain from past seasons... lately the autumns are quite dry here, so there aren't lots of stuff to pick out there! :)

Macrolepiota Procera, great battered in bread and egg and fried then:
DSC03547.jpg

Boletus Edulis:
DSC03550.jpg

Boletus Pinicola, harder meat and tougher to worm infestations than Edulis:
DSC08358.jpg

Lactarius Deliciosus, probably my favourite in terms of flavour and texture:
lactarius.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the morels are showing up here now, just as the turkeys are tapering off their gobbling. just one more great reason to be out in the woods...:tiphat:

stasis

Veteran
Thanks for keeping this thread going folks. I have moved to a Midwest state, where the mushrooms are very different than the Mecca of mushrooming, coastal Mendocino County. Learned about morels and was present for the yearly mushroom fest that was cancelled for the first time in history due to a huge flaked snowstorm in spring and a severe lack of mushrooms locally. Very happy for many reasons. Do miss the amazing mushrooming of mendo, but there are many plusses to being here.

Good luck out there, and again, thanks for resuscitation of this neglected thread.

Thanks also to our Spanish friend. GrEat stuff ....! :tiphat:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Lobster Mushroom (Hypomyces lactifluorum)

Lobster Mushroom (Hypomyces lactifluorum)

Great thread here folks. Avid mushroom collector here. Next month Lobster mushrooms should be showing up in the Pacific Northwest. Here is a picture of a giant I found last year. Found sixty pounds of them in around 3 hours. They are intimidating looking but once you try them you will be hooked. They are very crisp and the younger specimens are best. In my opinion they are best added to a spaghetti sauce. They will be here soon and I am gearing up. (Hypomyces lactifluorum)
picture.php

Some Hedgehogs I canned a few years back
picture.php

Morels from this springs harvest. They have been dried in this picture. Morels reconstitute extremely well and they are nearly as good dried as fresh.
picture.php

Glad to have found this thread. Definitely subscribed and will be back. Hope all the other amateur mycologists contribute as well.

C

Cep

Isn't this a great state to live in Bio? Nice hauls ^^^^

Here are a few from this spring:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
You change that up at the top right when your pictures come up before posting them. Hope this gets you rolling. 8 more posts and you get more bennies here on IC.

Lobsters should be coming on anytime now. Anyone in the Pacific NW see any yet? May be early yet. Havent had any reports. They dont pop till later where I am at. A trip to the coast is in order.

C

Cep

Which of those five are visible?

Lobsters are here btw! Farmers market had a few, coming from the coast of course.