What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
awesome belleswell got a spot where i pick hen of woods . last year came across old man of woods non edible but looked really cool.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
buddy is finding a few morels, plus killed 3 turkalurks so far. (his wife has one as well) i've bagged exactly fuck/nothing...:biggrin:

The seasons about to give way here north of the 45th parallel.. Snow melt was slow and the soil temp is just about there for the early black morels popping out of the southern slopes and other areas with plenty of southern exposure.

belleswell

We found a few meals worth this afternoon. About 2 quart bags full. Everything is about 2 to 3 weeks late this year from the long winter and cold spring.

eAA2ksyh.jpg

dufous

I have these things growing 30 feet outside my back door, under the apple and poplar trees.

I've never tried them. They look exactly like your photos.

belleswell

I have these things growing 30 feet outside my back door, under the apple and poplar trees.

I've never tried them. They look exactly like your photos.

False morels look very close and one sure way to tell is the stem hits the body of a white or black morel and it is hollow all the way from the bottom of the stem to the top of the inside of the mushroom.

If the stalk hits the body of the mushroom and closes off there, then it is a false morel. Do not eat false morels. These are called white morels and they have colors that range from gray when young to yellowish brown, to yellowish white. Just make sure that it is hollow from the base of the stem into the body of the shroom.

I usually cut mine up across the grain about a 1/4 inch thick. Like very small onion rings. Dip them in Drakes batter, ( no egg, just the dry batter), and then fry them in butter at about 325 F. Flip them when side one is golden brown and side two will take about half as long to get to the same color. Golden brown. Delicious. And yes, apple trees, poplars, are a good place to look as are dead or dying elms.

slacker

I had a great morel spot but it burned down and a good Chantelle spot but it got logged off. Last and this year I found porcini mushrooms but picking huckleberries is my big obsession tbh. 2 weeks a year that's all i do so I can have all the huckleberry cobbler i want for the rest of the year.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
turkey season in 3 weeks, warm/wet weather coming up, i can HEAR morels trying to come up through the leaves! (trying to be optimistic here lol)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
turkey season opens at dawn here in the morning. aint been enough rain lately to keep a worm damp, but i'll still be watching my feet, looking for morels. i stumble into and spook more danged turkeys doing that. they hear me walking along in the leaves & walk over to see what i am, hoping for hens.🦃😒 stupid turkeys...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
so far, not squat. no mushrooms found yet, no turkeys heard gobbling, and the fish aint biting either. it's enough to make a man sit on a rock, smoke bowls and enjoy the scenery...which i have LOTS of time for now. (y)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
was reading about mushrooms the other day. writer claimed that morels could be found growing clear up until fall if moisture levels/rain etc were right. i've never seen any after early May around here. anyone else see them later into the summer?

Cantharellus

Lol I read that somewhere once and I would not hold my breath. I have never seen any evidence and no reputable mycologists ever mention it. If you are in the woods in the fall maitake are the edible to look out for. You can freeze them with no prep and they have a great taste. They can grow fast and encapsulate dirt and leaves so sometimes its hard to find a clean one.

Cantharellus

Drought last year ruined the season. We are still in a drought so its not looking good this year. Still 5-6 weeks to go before temps are right so hoping for some moisture before then.

hfm

Thats a bummer for sure,we hit ground temps of 51 and have been getting wet.Our oysters and flammulina are pinning too :) yeh!