What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ricky Hatton v Floyd Mayweather

M

Mr. Nevermind

Biftaman said:
why u saying shit like all hattons fans are wankers and euro chumps you patronising prejudiced cnut. hatton is an exciting boxer whether you agree with his tactics or not. all i'm saying is the ref was shit and played into mayweathers hands. yes he won because he's more able boxer no one denied that but the ref ****ed it up and didn't allow the two to go toe to toe and the fight to flow like evryone envisoned and allow the fans to enjoy a proper fight. hatton got a bit too emotional and felt hard done by and lost because he kept going for head shots and mayweather is too quick to compete like that.

Excuses are like assholes, everyones got one and they stink. The ref didnt really have much to do with the fight from rounds 5 on, did Hatton take advantage of it? No. He said he would smother floyd on inside with pressure, did he? No. On the inside he got torn apart and even said he didnt think floyd was that good on the inside ( underestimating your opponent) .

What about the 8th round when floyd beat ricky like he stole something, any excuse there?

Seriously, Hatton fans talked alot of shit before the fight and got shown theeir boy is shit. Even after the fight there are excuses. be a man and admit your boy got beat by a better fighter and leave it at that.

Nevermind

G

I already admitted he's a better fighter. The ref played into maywethers hands by pulling them apart too much is all i'm saying so shuv you opinion up your arse.

M

Mr. Nevermind

Biftaman said:
I already admitted he's a better fighter. The ref played into maywethers hands by pulling them apart too much is all i'm saying so shuv you opinion up your arse.

Played into mayweathers hands? Yet more excuses. So are you saying if hatton had been able to hold the fight would have been different? I dont know what fight you were watching but Hatton had a few secdons fo good fighting after that it was all floyd. The ref didnt put hatton on his ass twice, mayweather did. Only 2 men in the ring were fighting and as a champ you cant blame your loss on the 3rd man in the ring.

Hatton got KO'd cuz he is a glorified pub fighter who stepped inthe ring with someone he had no business in fighting.

You always make excuses for englands short comings in athletics. Amusing

Nevermind

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
FreshTuRNiPzZz said:
oi dicked

hatton is a world class boxer. maywether is just slightly better. now shush.

Not to much into boxing, but world class. He got the breaks beat off him, And world class fight do cry and make excusses after they get knocked out. World class fighters give the winners their props, and talk up a rematch.

Hes a cry baby.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
1st few rounds ricky wers em down wi body work and devilish kidney and rib punches.....thats his style and thats what the ref interfered with for the 1st couple rounds..... any1 who thnks otheriowse obviously wasnt the wtching the same fight.
after that however he was beaten fair and square.

FreshTuRNiPzZz

smoke1sun said:
Not to much into boxing, but world class. He got the breaks beat off him, And world class fight do cry and make excusses after they get knocked out. World class fighters give the winners their props, and talk up a rematch.

Hes a cry baby.

what a stupid generalisation to make. everyone acts different, its called personality :/

Theres one guy in the world capable of beating hatton in the ring and thats mayweather. on a better day hatton could of finished him off within six rounds but as so many have stated the ref interveened a lot when hatton was on top and interrupted his flow. and no, before u all arrogant yanks start flaming, i do believe wayweather desvered to win so dont start saying anyones making excuses.

hatton will fight him again in the future and hatton will win. and i kno for sure that hatton wont be thankin gawd or any other supernatural being when he does.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
FreshTuRNiPzZz said:
what a stupid generalisation to make. everyone acts different, its called personality :/
Yeah Some of us take losing like a man, and some of us make excusses and blame others.

FreshTuRNiPzZz said:
on a better day hatton could of finished him off within six rounds

And if I wasnt so damn broke i could of been rich, and if Mick Vick had of been smarter, he could of been playing football on sunday. Would of should of could of blah blah blah.

FreshTuRNiPzZz said:
hatton will fight him again in the future and hatton will win. and i kno for sure that hatton wont be thankin gawd or any other supernatural being when he does.

Who told you that cleo :bashhead:

But i must give you credit for the one correct thing you said right. Oh wait nevermind. LOL

FreshTuRNiPzZz

smoke1sun said:
But i must give you credit for the one correct thing you said right. Oh wait nevermind. LOL

oh wait one moment longer... shut d fuk up!

i just thought id make a point, one of which u missed probably due to the copious amount of freebase in ur system.

basically that was the best boxing match of the year, involving the two best boxers in there catergory. now how the **** can you tell me or anyone that hatton is not a world class boxer? 44 fights, 31(2?) knockouts thats an outstanding record that despite the fact hes been beaten once (yes, ONCE, in his WHOLE career).

what i dont understand is why people who know nothing about boxing have such strong opinions. maybe you should go back to ur baseball thread and ramble in there.

paulobaca

Well they are both exciting and good fighters but on different levels. It is interesting that a lot of Hatton fans are complaining about the reffing. In the past Hatton and British boxing got a lot of criticism for how the reff's favored hatton in britain against Kostya Tzu. Now if you say that the officiating Hatton received in England was 100% kosher, well I would have to suspect you of being partial towards your mother country. Reffing is somewhat objective and their are different styles. Hatton ofcourse would prefer reffing that would allow a lot of grabbing and wrestling, with very few breaks (the same style rocky m. preferred). I think this is what he got in Britain but not the USA.

As much as I hate to say it, Mayweather is in my mind one of the all time greats and Hatton, while being an exciting brawler with the heart of a lion, is nowhere near that level. Mayweather is almost perfect in many areas, defense, jab, lead right hand, footwork...especially defense...he is a master. You see he fought a number one contender in Diego Corrales almost 10 years ago. Diego got knocked in 8 rounds. The amazing part is that Mayweather was barely touched. Now most people didn't realize it, but that was a performance for the ages. I have never seen a legitimate #1 contender like corrales loose like that, without landing one good lick on the other guy.

I've spent time observing the gyms of hall of fame trainers. What people don't realize today is that boxing is more about "not getting hit" than it is about "pounding the other guy". In fact for the die hard traditionalists, this was priority # 1. There are a million guys out there who can punch hard but nobody but Floyd comebines all aspects of the sweet science. Ricky is a good fighter. He should stay at Junior welter.

Last edited:
W

Wunderkind

LOL, you sound like a Hatton fan. You barely know your English.

Hatton is a not a world class fighter. He's an exciting fighter like Arturo Gatti, Micky Ward, etc (Arturo and Micky were both more exciting). And if Money and Hatton were to fight again, Hatton would be knocked out earlier. It took Floyd a couple rounds to adapt to his style and then beat the shit out of him. Now that Floyd knows his style it would be more of a clinic.

You obviously don't know the rules of boxing. The ref is there to stop the fighters from illegal conduct. That's what he did.

Hatton was placed in front of a real world class boxer and got his shit rocked.

Last edited:

paulobaca

Biftaman said:
**** can't that scum just die. looks like we're shit at everything. im ashamed to be english as usual.

Well if it helps Joe Calzaghe is Brittish (dont know how sectarian you are), but doesn't fight like one. I've never seen a British boxer over 160 with that kind of hand speed. He just beat Kessler another awesome european boxer, but the best is when he beat Jeff Lacy. I hate it when HBO or SHOWTIME starts to worship a fighter, fat contracts and letting them pick their own oppnts, people like Prince Naseem and Roy Jones. Well Showtime was doing this for Jeff Lacy and Joel Calzage put on a clinic and whooped his ass. I was with the British on that one.

W

Wunderkind

Calzaghe's biggest opponents have been Lacy and Kessler, both mediocre fighters. Calzaghe has made his name fighting hobos. He's a slapper, not a puncher. And if he were to fight a guy like Jermaine Taylor or Kelly Pavlik, he would be shown for what he is. Just another overrated, protected british fighter.

paulobaca

Wunderkind said:
LOL, you sound like a Hatton fan. You barely know your English.

Don't know who you are taking a shot at but LOL is not an english word and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. English is not mine (you said "your english"), I'm not English so you should have instead wrote, "You barely know English". I am not going to BS and say that writing and grammer are my forte, they are not. You are obviously not proficient as well so why argue about meaningless stuff? Does it make you feel superior?

Hatton is a world class fighter because he beat world class fighters to get there. I was skeptical at first too but after seeing him beat several contenders, there was no denying. The world class fighters were vernon phillips, Tzu, castillo, and a few more. Now some of these guys were older but they were tuff and it was the way Hatton beat them that earned respect. Now as I stated I am not a fan of Hatton nor am I a fan of Mayweather. Hatton proved himself. He may not be better than Mayweather but he is definately legitimate.

Last edited:
G

Mr. Nevermind said:
Played into mayweathers hands? Yet more excuses. So are you saying if hatton had been able to hold the fight would have been different? I dont know what fight you were watching but Hatton had a few secdons fo good fighting after that it was all floyd. The ref didnt put hatton on his ass twice, mayweather did. Only 2 men in the ring were fighting and as a champ you cant blame your loss on the 3rd man in the ring.

Hatton got KO'd cuz he is a glorified pub fighter who stepped inthe ring with someone he had no business in fighting.

You always make excuses for englands short comings in athletics. Amusing

Nevermind

what wrong with you foo? you stryna start some shit bitch? lol
I'm trying to get the point through your self deluded skull that had the ref not been so keen to jump in and break up the fight early on then it would've been a much closer fight, I'm not saying The Hitman would've won at all can you grasp that concept without resorting to stupid digs about the English?

thing is with these types FreshTurnipzzz they miss the point that we've accepted that Mayweather did outbox Hatton but they resort to stupid digs about the English so they can feel superior. we're just saying the match wasn't reffed to the highest standard and was done in a way which gave mayweather the advantage, had it been in Rickys home town the ref would've let the fight flow and ricky could play his game and cripple mayweather with the body punches.

so i think we can agree that Mayweather would win in a protected be the ref technical type of fight and ricky would win in in all out not pull apart let them them get on with it slug fest.

another thing is mayweather does have all the money, Rickys trainer is a taxi driver and Mayweather is from a boxing family so I'm proud of the lad forgive my earliest post fight comments.

Last edited:
G

paulobaca said:
Don't know who you are taking a shot at but LOL is not an english word and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Hatton is a world class fighter because he beat world class fighters to get there. I was skeptical at first too but after seeing him beat several contenders, there was no denying.

Yeah ask Castillo, body shot in the fourth round, when's the last time a Mexican was one the receiving end of one of those?
Ricky a glorified pub fighter, **** off! show some respect for the motherland laugh out loud. don't get me wrong mayweather is the don of boxing and USA produces most of the best boxers of course.

trouble

Veteran
FreshTuRNiPzZz said:
what i dont understand is why people who know nothing about boxing have such strong opinions. maybe you should go back to ur baseball thread and ramble in there.

I was thinking the same thing about you after all of your drivel. Head-butts are the only thing that come out of always trying to tie-up another fighter, thats why the ref keep breaking them up. Hatton's head lived underneth Mayweathers chin for the first 3 rounds.

Maybe you should take your own advice and go back to your gay-ass game Cricket.

Last edited:
G

trouble said:
I was thinking the same thing about you after all of your drivel. Head-butts are the only thing that come out of always trying to tie-up another fighter, thats why the ref keep breaking them up. Hatton's head lived underneth Mayweathers chin for the first 3 rounds.

Maybe you should go back to your gay-ass game Cricket.

Maybe it looked like a heatbutt to you but did you realise hatton's somewhat shorter and lighter than Mayweather so you perceived Hatton to be headbutting. Your ever seen a proper headbutt before?

here's ANOTHER dick with the anti- English sentiment, believe me your sports look more than gay to us but even mentioning that brings me down to your level. Do you realise cricket is the most popular sport in the Carribean, india Pakistan etc? But that doesn't matter seeing as you don't see out of your back yard.

Last edited:

paulobaca

Hey people lets put a check on the nationalism. We both bombed the crap out of poor Iraqis together.

Seriously though, a lot of, no really most of the great fighters I know of were dirty and they got away with it.

Holyfield basically lowers his head and charges in. Is that dirty? Well its his style and it worked for about 10 years.

Marciano- If you watch any of his fights on ESPN classics you know that he was amoung the dirtiest of fighters. Holding and hitting, elbows, head butts, hitting behind the head. Actually Hatton reminds me of a welter version of the rock and I mean that as a complement. Yes the Rock cheated but he was still a great figher.

Ali- Ali Foreman in Zaire- After everyexchange Ali would force Foreman's head down in a Thai Clinch style move. This is an illegal way of protecting yourself and tires out your opponent. Ali mysteriously got away with it the entire fight. I have never seen another fighter get away with that for an entire fight.

Ali V Cooper I- While clowning around during the middle rounds, Cooper catches Ali with perfect left hook and Ali is knocked down and very hurt right before the round ends. Ali's trainer, Angelo dundee takes a razor and cuts Ali's glove. This forces the fight to stop since a cut glove would slice up cooper's face. Ali recovered during the delay to find a new glove and Eventually knocked cooper out. Oh yeah Cooper was an undersized Brittish guy and this was young Ali in his prime before he got drafted and came back with a beer gut.

Tyson learned a lot of dirty tricks from Cuss. I've seen vicous elbows and we all know what else.

Lennox Lewis was holding Michael Grant's head with his left and smashed him with a right. That was one devastating right.

George Foreman is currently a preacher but did you see him hit Frazier in the back of the head?

Bernard the executioner Hopkins- Well he's really slick and good at fighting dirty. Now that hes gotten older he has to rely on it which isnt fun to watch.

So yeah my point is that you can be a great boxer and cheat a little. In fact almost all of the greats knew how to get away with stuff. Of course the big exception was Joe Lewis, who was squeeky clean but a fighting machine.

Last edited: