What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is boxing dead,did UFC kill it?

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Neil Cavuto is doing a story on it right now.

I have to admit, since becoming a UFC fan,
Boxing really hasn't been the same.

what do you all think.

peace.

Mike Tyson and Don King killed boxing for me.

So did the 27 Rocky movies.

All Don King is, is a used car salesman. I take that back, it's just not fair to used car salesman. None the less he's a whore who'd sell his mother for the right price.

Mike Tyson, although we know he has some serious issues and to this day I still believe HE was the victim in that rape case, it still pisses me off that all the chances he was given to come back and restart his career he just dug himself deeper. I guess I also blame Don King for that one too.

Mike Tyson should have been the greatest boxer in history as far as I'm concerned.

I've watched UFC a few times, but it is just a little too barbaric for my tastes

Same with WWF, I loved it till it became a soap opera.

Irishslappop

Ganja struetu?
im not too big on UFC, Boxing is the sport of real men. not pumped up thugs that took a couple kick boxing and jujitsu classes.

but it seems to appeal to the people more which is too bad.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Anchorman,
I agree
if Mike Tyson had the right people in his life, he would have been the greatest boxer ever! by far.

peace.

G

i really enjoy watching boxing.
my father got me into watching as a kid.ali,holmes,cooney.
and ofcourse the hearns and sugar ray fights,awesome they were.
the first tyson fights were pretty kick-ass too.but then for a while boxing declined.
every sat night i go to my dads house to watch hbo boxing after dark.
there have been some really good matches as of lately.

ufc was ok at first.watching gracie fight was pretty amazing.that guy would take a beating and then out of no where submit a dude.
but now its over played for me.not much into it.
even though it may be the hip thing to get into now adays,i just rather watch the real sport of boxing.

killa-bud

Veteran
boxing was cool,kind of boring now

ufc WAS cool also,since going mainstream,it sucks,it used to be real people fighting and no weight class,now its just as boring as boxing

G

to be honest boxing has been on a down fall for a while its pretty simple its hard to get a really go fight card and then the ufc's also stole alot of fans but its rateings have gone down to since its ultimate fighter seasons

I use to watch quite a bit of boxing. I remember watching championship boxing for FREE on Wide World of Sports!! Thats unheard of in these times. I still enjoy a good match here and there...the good fights just seem to far in between. Ill prolly catch flack for this one but i used to like watching tommy morrison. He could be gettin his ass kicked for five rounds and catch a dude with his left? hook and ohhh mann good night.

I do watch the UFC quite often. To me these guys are warriors. I have a cousin who trains in MMA and he is one phsyco MF. His shins, fists, and feet are like rocks! Just like i think boxing is an art so is UFC. Theres something great about watching two well trained warriors enter a cage and battling. Maybe Im sick but i also liked the UFC better before all the rule changes.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
boxing has been dead.. All boxers are to greedy. If they were real mean they would'nt consistently duck each other.. Thats why there is no good boxing on anymore.. Last big fight was de la hoya vs mayweather and it sucked as much as linda lovelace used to.. And as for the cat that said a bunch of pumped up thugs.. that took a couple of ju jits and kickboxing classes.. That must be the people u hang with or know.. Cos the guys i know have been doin it since children As, have i.. And as for thugs most of the guys that fight are all college grads that have degrees and an education.. Yea of course a few of the so called thugs make it into every part of society.. Ohh well.. There is always someone that has to knock something or someone else.. Usually its cos they them selves cant or wont do what they are knocking.. peace.. And yes dfa Fedor is the best fighter in the world... peace..

sack

Last edited:

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
UFC is awesome in that a lot of the programs are on public tv.. Boxing you get a good fight every 5-6 months, and it costs $60 to watch it... ufc keeps it exciting.. Fighters I thought would never get beat have their day and get delivered a beating of their own.. Like that Mirko crocop... Who saw him getting knocked the fuck out with a head kick as he has delivered so many times... It's that picture perfect right on the button, legs crumble from under ya kinda excitment that keeps me a ufc fan

It's the only sport you stick around after a ko just to see if the guy starts to actually breath once again :lurk:

Last edited:

mindRubber

Nah, screw that. I like UFC but it can't kill boxing. There will always be boxing fans. Boxing is very technical, usually, and I really enjoy that. Speaking of boxing, don't forget Ricky Hatton vs Jose Luis Castillo @ 7pm Saturday on HBO. Hatton is going to whoop him.

G

I think boxing will never die, the pro sport has become very tarnished, but at the grass roots level its still strong.

UFC will go from strength to strength as will MMA in general, martial arts of all kinds are global and MMA is the fusion, it is fascinating to have watched things evolve since the early days. I remember well the old Japanese UWF promotion in 1985 onwards, Akira Maeda etc. The first semi-shoot style wrestling, they began having a few shoot matches on their cards and once folks had seen the real deal, the faked semi-shoot stuff was going to die off. UWF fell apart and UWFI and Pancrase grew out of the ashes, Pancrase slowly became all-shoot, all real and guys like Ken SHamrock got their break, The first UFCs were simply a vehicle to promote the myth of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and Royce Gracie as a fighter. It is amazing the difference bewteen the first UFC in 1995 and today in terms of the quality of the fighters. Originally, the fighters were only skilled in one form of martial arts, but a guys like Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock began to master multiple styles and the strikers learnt to grapple and the grapplers practised their striking, the evolution of UFC has been fascinating and represents the state of the art in human combat.

I wish MMA competition had been around in the past as it would be great to see the shooting legends like Helio Gracie, Billy Robinson, Lou Thesz, Dory Funk Jr etc. in real shoot competition. Guys Like Billy robinson and Tim 'Mr Wrestling II' Woods went around challenging all comers to take them on for decades and regualrly used to wipe the floor with local toughs, bikers etc. If MMa had been around, imagine the legendary tough guys and brawlers like Dick The Bruiser, Larry Hennig, Dick Murdoch, Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen etc. against great wrestlers with very legit grappling backgrounds like Lou Thesz, Danny Hodge, Dory Funk Jr etc.

harrydirty

ufc/mma is the future

ufc/mma is the future

wtachin (old) tyson highlights makes me happy. but ufc/mma is def the future.

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
Boxing was pretty cool, I like it when it is good. But pride fighting is the shit. Soccer kicks to the face, knockouts in which the other 300 lbs guy goes into a seizure and all manner of other horribly terrific things. Those guys are some tough people, some of them.
But I do hate it when they get tired and just circle each other. Most of my friends seem to think this is a dumb idea, but what about a cage that is only 6 by 6?? Prison cell sized. That would be interesting to see. Ain't no backing away and circling there my friends.

GI-DRO

boxing like horse racing are a dying sport due to the loss of integrity in these pastimes. boxers are used and abused, most horses are injected with pain killers in order to run in a particular race, etc.

back in the old days, there were limited opportunities, now people have options. kids dont HAVE to resort to boxing to "make it" you know?

UFC, is shiznit

Hey,

I personally like both... to an extent. I can't seem to enjoy a boxing match if nobody gets knocked out and goes the whole 15 fucking rounds... kinda loses its purpose dont ya think? UFC is okay sometimes, but it just sucks watching two dudes literally cuddle with each other in the corner of a cage holding each other for 2 rounds...

I guess I just dont dig the whole "point system" that they have going on. I just think its fucked up how they go into this split decision at the end, and the guy thats all bloodied up wins because he got a few more blows (though, apparently unsuccessful). I see that as sheer bullshit. I say they go into sudden death... but thats just me. Guess I prefer boxing. Just my $.02
Peace.