What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golf...

Dan42nepa

thats how i was when i was young. I could hit the ball long but had a slight draw on everything and couldnt hold the green very often. I had to learn to get up and down. Another thing when i was young I didnt have a pitching wedge or sand wedge. I had to choke down on a 9 iron or open the face and cut across it to get height and have it come down softer. Thank god for that because now i use those same techniques with my wedges.

Neuronaut

Thanks for the link mr water. As for balls..I just use ones that I find on the course in the woods. Golf is already to expensive... i'm not going to pay for balls unless i have too.

Neuronaut

Just got back from playing 9 holes. Chipping in my back yard has really help me improve on making solid contact with the ball. I ended up shooting a 41 on a par 32 BUT i was playing a 2 ball scramble. Still a long long ways to go... but sure did have a good time.

Irishslappop

Ganja struetu?
MAN, i SERIOUSLY wish i didn't have school today, it's like 81 out, perfect sky, should be knockin a little white ball around, drinkin some brews, and blazin a pinner.

I can't believe I'm actually responding to a golf thread but here goes:

I agree with George Carlin when he said "Golf is like watching flys fuck". I've tried golf, and I'm fairly certain that no one can possibly play worse than me. Which is very odd because I'm good at putt-putt and I dominate at hockey. Happy Gilmore comes to mind....

Sure I can smack the piss out of that little white sphere, but I have absolutely no control over where it goes.

So if I want to play a "gentleman's game", I'll stick to 8 ball or chess. But golf has no room for me.

Smoke on.

SC :joint:

Dan42nepa

I hate when people equate minature golf to actual golf or say how boring it is without ever actually playing at least a few times. It takes alot of aquired skill and experience to play golf well. There is alot of strategy involved especially playing summer rules where you cant improve your lie and are playing a match against someone. Leaving the ball in the correct place, the ball below the hole on really fast greens. Feels great to hit a crisp 5 iron through a 25 mph cross wind and leaving it a few feet from the cup. But, the less people who like golf, the easier it is for the rest of us to get tee times.. lol

Neuronaut

Just played 18... the hardest thing for me is not taking my club and bashing a tree with it... it makes me soooooooooo damn mad! I only made 2 pars. Oh well. Definitely did better on the back 9.

tokinsmokin

Yeah golf is one of the hardest sports to master, no doubt. I've played practically every sport there is and golf is definitely probably the hardest sport there is. Took me years and years before I could shoot par golf, and I still have my days that don't go well, consistency is key. The great thing is you don't need to be great or even good to have fun as many people have said.

tngreen

Veteran
TrustNoOne said:
titelist so-lo is the closest i've found to a wound ball. or maybe the precept laddie. i miss wound golf balls.

those are great balls for intermediate players. my dad uses both and they work very well and spin decently as well.

im with ya tokinsmokin! very hard game! ive been workin at it for 7 years now and have become very consistent. my handicap is at a 2 right now :woohoo: in golf, you cant let your emotions get the best of you. that is why people do so bad is because they cant hit a shot and forget it. always take each shot at a time. also, it really helps not to think about your score and just play.

Dan42nepa

It certainly can be very frustrating. You need great concentration and confidence. Nothing like driving the ball well, hitting crisp irons to the green and then 3 or 4 putting. I think confidence is a big help. Especially when it comes to "touch".

G

Neuronaut

Consider taking some lessons this summer. Did that back in high school & it really helped a lot. Went from shooting in the mid 90’s to (eventually) the high 70’s.
With lessons, when you make a mistake with your swing you'll understand what you did & the instructor will help you to know what a good swing feels like so you can learn to repeat it.

Good luck & have fun!

Bh :wave:

G

ahhh i love this game always ahve always will . i mean great scenery smoke bowls on the course. get in tune and crush the ball.. lol i love it.. almost back to scratch. bout +4 handicap right now.. just got a new freakin scotty cameron putter man i took 6 strokes off my game just cause of the new putter. you ahve probs holding a green use the cleveland 60 degree wedge. awsome...

tokinsmokin

MysterX said:
ahhh i love this game always ahve always will . i mean great scenery smoke bowls on the course. get in tune and crush the ball.. lol i love it.. almost back to scratch. bout +4 handicap right now.. just got a new freakin scotty cameron putter man i took 6 strokes off my game just cause of the new putter. you ahve probs holding a green use the cleveland 60 degree wedge. awsome...

6 strokes off your game, hmm ok. I've got a Scotty Cameron too the pro platinum and I love it, had a Never Summer before that which was a great putter as well. And yeah Cleveland wedges are great, gun metal is the way to go with Cleveland, I have the 53 degree, 56 degree, and 60 degree gun metals. For Irons I have Cleveland TA1 Blades which are great irons but only if you can hit the ball square on the face, if you don't you'll hate the clubs.

But everyone gets so carried up in the products, thinking it will help them play better, which is far from the truth. One thing that is good about these products is the fact that they can make you feel more comfortable squaring up to the ball, and if you feel comfortable you have a much better chance of hitting a good shot. But work on your golf game and your technique then you won't have to worry about what clubs you have.

Key is once you develop a good set up and swing plane, then you can start working on your mental game (golf is said to be 80% mental), and another very important thing is to have an effortless swing, by almost feeling like you are letting the golf club fall when your on your down swing. Feels almost unnatural at first but it is how you develop a very consistent swing that will reproduce. It took me a long time to realize this one, but once I did I went from shooting consistently mid to upper 70's, to par and under golf. Sorry for preaching, get me thinking about golf and I could go on all day.

Neuronaut

Your not preaching. I love hearing advice and encouragement. Keep it coming. Yeah i don't plan on investing much money into clubs just yet, not until i get better. I do need a putter though. Can you guys suggest a good balanced putter for a beginner that is relatively inexpensive?

Bipedhominid (austriliopithicus?), I do plan on taking some lessions NEXT summer, can't really afford it this summer. There is an actual golf academy pretty close and they have some good deals.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
just picked up a new set of clubs today

the wilson Ultra txf. apparently regular 400 clearing them out for 159. sort of a splurge but i couldnt resist

im not a huge golfer but i do love it when i get out. proabably only 15 maybe 20 times a season if im lucky. cant wait to try out the new clubs. like you guys said, its great going to a course and hitting a bucket then messinga round on the putting greens for an hour.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
Neuronaut said:
Nice buy. So did all the irons and a driver come at that price??
i thought so. yeah its kind of weird. theres 4 - 9 in the irons with a pitching wedge, then a driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and then this other "3 wood hybrid club" not really sure if ill like it. ive got one of those fairway woods and they seem tricky to be consistent with. so im going to keep my old 3 iron in the bag just incase

Neuronaut

Damn thats a hell of a deal. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. I use a hybrid 3 and 4 and I love them. Man thats a deal.... i need to start keeping my eye open for deals like that. Was it a golf supply store or what?