What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2019-2020

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's funny how the Patsies thought they could just start some video feature on their website and they could use that as an excuse to get away with anything. Maybe they can - it's up to Rog.

Cause u know, theyre still kind of a sucky team, especially without their starting QB.

IL was supposed to have defense, and not be like the prior IL teams whose reputation had made this years team a good value going 8-3 ATS, and they got 29 put up on them. Northwestern didn't score more than 22 all year except UNLV and UMass at home. Their average final score to that point was 15-25.

I haven't kept good track of my bets or winnings except for a pile of losing tickets. I still have a small stack to play even though some went to 4 months of groceries and all. College games did better for me though, when I didn't do stupid things.

So, Indy. For value, you need a good QB and coach, not just an underdog no one is picking. For risk management, you need to not make stupid plays. That one stupid play a week is the difference between winning and losing. I've known this for a while having made every stupid mistake there is, it's enforcing the rules that's the problem. Usually I'd look at the final scores for each team the last 4-5 games, make a couple adjustments, because that tends to give a more correct outcome. Didn't do that last week, takes a while without a spreadsheet and records that a half-ass should have.

Kirk Cousins on MNF AGAIN? He just went to 0-8 last week.

SF better win this week.

shithawk420

Veteran
Honestly I just don't really care anymore.New England isn't bad.they shouldn't have to cheat if they are soo great.my biggest problem is that Tom Brady is considered the best of all time.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Im thinking another 1st rd pick being taken away and a 1M fine for belichick and kraft might be on the table. Bill denies that he has anything to do with the media dept of the team but maybe goodell can point to ‘lack of institutional control’ to nevertheless put the blame on him.

Lamar certainly is bending all the rules of what a running QB can do in the NFL, we’ll see if next season defensive coaches have a better idea on how to stop him. But Lamar himself says he’d rather pass than run, so if theyre going to commit extra defenders to stop his running (and u might need 2 guys to keep him from running, one spy usually isn’t enough he’s that elusive) then he’ll gladly sit in the pocket and throw guys open all over the field. And with marquis brown and mark Andrews, he’s got better receiver talent than he did last year.

Giardiniera is like Italian kimchee, pickled vegetables (celery, cauliflower, carrots usually) that come spicy or mild. I prefer mild, the spicy can be overwhelming.
You can add cheese (mozz or provolone) or sweet peppers (green peppers, sliced thick, roasted or boiled and skin taken off) or even a whole Italian sausage to an Italian beef, but the beef and giardiniera is usually enough for me. Sometimes people even put marinara sauce on there too, or use garlic bread for the bread. Depends on how messy/juicy/over the top you want it.

Im not sure why people think gase is such a good coach, he’s a workaholic (his wife gave birth, he cut the cord, handed his baby to his wife and went straight back to work) and his offense is complicated (I think some Miami players fell out of favor with him when they couldn’t ‘get’ his offense) but other than that he just doesn’t seem like an effective coach. Any success he’s had was when he was in good situations already (peyton mannings 2013 broncos season, one bears season when cutler and the offense were actually good) but as far as elevating or maximizing the talent around him I don’t think he’s done that as a head coach. But supposedly the jets will stick with him for another season, maybe he can turn it around next year and ill eat my words.

Oakland was looking good at 6-4 but have since lost 4 straight and are now 6-8. They lost last minute to the jags last week, in the final home game in Oakland, and were booed off the field. The defense has just been giving up a ton of points and the offense has really tailed off.
They still have a chance to finish 8-8, and there’s plenty of optimism for the future with another solid draft. They have the bears 1st rd pick so maybe they can trade up and grab a top college QB, derek carr aint bad but not sure he’ll ever be elite. Was your bet that they would finish 8-8? Cant remember… Mine was Arizona, not looking too good even though they won last week.

Your reasoning behind the IL-NU bet sounds solid, Joe. I didn’t know northwestern struggled so much on offense the whole year. Cant expect their 4th string QB to have a 3 td game, yknow?

Yeah, Indy was on a 3 game losing streaking heading into MNF against the saints, but didn’t expect them to lay down like that and let brees have a monster, record breaking game. Even though brissett’s back, they really haven’t been playing well the 2nd half of the season, not like the 1st half when their only losses were due to vinatieri’s missed kicks.

That’s the thing, Hawk, is that they were caught against the worst team in the league, the 1-13 bengals. Then again, the bengals did keep it close most of the first half.
Brady may not be any more talented than peyton, Rodgers, brees, etc, but those 6 rings set him apart for sure from the rest. I expect even peytons and brees’s records to eventually fall when players like mahomes and Watson play for 15-20 years. And after that, when the game basically becomes 2 hand touch, mahomes and watson’s records will fall too…

shithawk420

Veteran
I've got a lot of respect for Peyton.Breaks his neck and wins a Superbowl.thats a trooper to me.And as much as I don't care to admit it I think Rodgers is better.that guy has pulled some miricles out of his ass.

If it ever gets to two hand touch I'm not watching or supporting the NFL.its hard enough as it is.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
one fo the bets was the aiders are not making the playoffs
-check
and the other had to do with the dark horse status of the raiders and jax
i guess we will hvae to wait till the final record before determining that one
not only were they boo'ed off the field but the raider nation went nuts throwing bottles and garbage at the team and tearing out a big chunk for the black hole
/stay classy oakland
i was talking with some raider fans today about where they stood on carr
it seems half think its not his fault, but im with you and dont think hes really an elite qb
i think the bears draft pick will end up being in the teens, but we will see what they do with it
/they hit gold with j.jacobs and think he should be the offensive rookie of the year
i think the league needs to send a message to the pats re: their constant rule bending
loss of draft picks is a good start but i think its tiem to start laying the hammer on belichick with multi game suspensions to start with
if it happens again he should be suspended for a whole season
that sounds like an awesome mix and im going to look for it next time we hit up the market
is it in a vinegar mix? we get this stuff at costco that sounds a lot like what you are talking about, with the pickled cauliflower and stuff
sounds like we are going to be having some italian beef this holiday season
hope you are all set for the holidays brother
can you believe that this time next week its going to be christmas?
we totally got this my man and hope you are having a great week!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yup, I think it was against Washington that peyton got his head pulled one way and his body the other, and that caused the nerve damage to his neck that cost him a season. Colts finished 2-14, drafted Luck and moved on from Peyton, who resurrected his career in Denver, possibly with the help of some PEDs (oh sorry, that HGH was for my ‘wife’!).
Rodgers is just as accurate as peyton, has a stronger arm and is much more mobile. He hasn’t really been great the last couple years, except for a game or two, though his td-int ratio is still elite. Now he’s got a run game and a defense so he doesn’t have to do it all, will be interesting to see how they do in the playoffs. They got shut down by the niners, and haven’t faced the saints yet.

Jags have 5 wins and raiders have 6, so it’s still pretty close as to who will finish with the better record.
Carr looked pretty good his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the league, passing for 4k yards, 32/13 td/int and 28/6 td/int ratios. Got himself a big contract but since then has not been nearly as good, but also the talent around him and the o-line hasn’t been as good. May be a little jared goff situation there, got a big contract off a couple good years, immediately starts to play worse when team gets worse around him (partly because they have less money for other players).

I was afraid that giving up 2 first rd picks for Khalil mack (plus 22M/yr contract) would hamstring the bears in the future, and it looks like that’s the case. Granted, Khalil and the D started gangbusters last year, and the D is still plenty good, but mack’s sack numbers have really fallen off lately. Bears really should draft another QB, not sure who would be available with a pick in the teens, but it’s oakland’s now. Maybe they’ll get lucky like the jags and draft someone like Minshew in the later rounds.

I know sams carries a gallon jar of hot giardiniera, I think the only difference between hot and mild is the addition of sport peppers. Im thinking it cant be too hard to make ur own if you have the ingredients, carrots cauliflower celery, olive oil, vinegar (red wine or white wine) and spices/herbs. Having the flavors meld for a day or two would be key to a proper taste. You can throw onions and bell peppers in there too, red pepper flakes or jalapenos for some kick. But also buying a small jar for 3-4 bucks isn’t bad either, I just wouldn’t want a big jar of the hot. Maybe if you pick out the hot peppers it wouldn’t be too spicy.

We’ve got 3 Saturday games this weekend, morning afternoon evening. I think the rams/niners is one, so we’ll see if the rams keep their playoff hopes alive. Minny plays green bay on MNF, so if the rams lose minny is guaranteed a wild card spot, not sure if they’ll rest anyone tho they still have a chance at the division if they beat the pack.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
this weekends line up of games looks good
rams niners will hopefully be a fun game to watch but we will see which rams offense shows up
goff has a lot of deleloping to do if he wants to become the qb the rams were willing to pay so much for and im wondering if t.gurley can return to his old self
/both are huge cap hits
even arron donald is having an off year but i think that is because teams are game planning around him
the same could be said for k.mack so we will see how both players come back next season
without a decent o'line i think most qbs struggle but i think the raiders are sending two linemen to the pro bowl this year, after getting hurt carrs just has'nt been the same
i tihnk we will pick up a smaller jar to start with and go from there
it sounds like something you could make yourself and that would be rad to pickle your own vegetables and my mom does that all the time
but i dont really know what its supposed to taste like so ill start out with a good jar from the store and go from there

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
We also have bills-pats on Sat afternoon and eagles-cowboys on sun afternoon. Bills could possibly win the division if they beat the pats, eagles and ‘boys are fighting for the division title and a playoff spot. Then bears host the chiefs on Sunday night. Trubs is playing better but he’s still far far worse than mahomes who he was drafted ahead of. Ah well.

Ur right, goff and the rams O in general took a step back this year. I think they were easing gurley back into a full workload earlier in the season, but now with them fighting for a playoff spot he’s getting most of the touches. In general though u make the good point, the blocking has been much worse, so gurley and goff havent been able to have their usual amount of success. Next year maybe things will get better, guys will improve or get healthier, get some new (and cheap) starters in there through free agency or the draft, etc. Plus next year they’ll have the new stadium, so that’s something the team can look forward to. But I look around the league at qb’s making 30M/yr or more, matt ryan, Rodgers, wentz, goff, most of them have had relatively down years compared to their most recent peaks. Even Russell Wilson cooled off after a hot start. Roethlisberger only played one game then was injured for the year. Brady doesn’t make that much but even he’s been down this year, although he might be nursing an elbow injury. Just not a lot of value in return for all the $ spent on qb’s this year, so it’s not just a rams problem imo.

Ah, you’ve never had giardiniera before? Yeah, best to pick up a small jar and see how you like it, although if the big one at Costco isn’t spicy maybe that will be ok to buy, they have a pretty liberal return policy if you don’t like it. Plus you could get like 10x the amount for 2x the price of a smaller jar, and it lasts practically forever, although I do think it needs to be refrigerated after opening. You can put it on sandwiches, pizza, etc, but I normally only use it for making Italian beef in the crockpot: 3-5 lbs of ribeye roast, or maybe chuck roast, one or two jars of giardiniera, set it to cook on low for 8 hours, shred it with forks when it’s done and put on rolls or crusty bread – recommend a chewier bread since youre encouraged to put plenty of juice on the meat and with a softer bread it’ll just disintegrate and become a mess. Again, you can ‘bam!’ it up like Emeril with Italian sausages, or cheese, or garlic bread as the roll, or marinara sauce, etc, but it’s usually plenty tasty by itself.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I'm glad the Pats got caught red-handed cheating this time. Makes Deflate-gate seem a little more plausible, now don't it?- A Colts fan

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
there is no question about the pats doing whatever they can to get an the upper hand against their opponents
they have been caught numerous times bending the rules
the funny thing is, (especially in this most recent incident) these are probably teams they could easily beat without cheating
/seriously, the bengals?!
the league needs to send a firm message to the team and start hitting them where it hurts
/this is why i think they need to take away draft picks, impose a heavy fine and suspend belichick for several games

i might have gotten the ggiardiniera before if its what i think it is, costco had this multi pack with pepperchinnis and two jars of this pickled cauliflower stuff
they pickled veggis were bomb and i would just eat them as a side or have a bowl of them and olives as a snack
so you just add the whole jar to the crock pot with the meat? i hear you about using a nice crusty bread that can hold up to the liquid in the mix
man that sounds so good and im going to make some in the insta pot!
i wonder where the line will be drawn re: qb salaries?
when one player takes up so much of the cap space it makes it harder to build a complete team around them
you wonder if that is money well spent especially in the case of goff who is still relatively new
cant wait for this weekends games and hope you are wrapping up your week in style!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah Hawk, I knew ditka had his own brand, he’s big into marketing his name now that he’s no longer coaching. Most giardiniera seems to taste similar to me also, not much variation unless it’s between hot and mild. What would you say the flavor is, like salty/tangy/oily, with a strong taste of Italian herbs and spices (oregano, garlic, etc) plus the taste of the vegetable itself? It’s hard to describe for me.

Sounds like that Costco multipack contained giardiniera, Pop, and people like to add the pepperocinis also to Italian beef. In fact, this last time I made it I didn’t have any giardiniera, thought I had one jar I bought years ago but all I could fine were sliced banana peppers, so I added half a regular sized jar of that plus half the liquid to the pot (only had 2-2.5 lbs of meat so didn’t use a whole jar), added a spoon of minced garlic, a tsp of oregano, S+P, and cooked it on low for 8 hrs. Came out alright, needed a bit more salt to make it pop but the italian flavor profile was there, if somewhat faint. So u can just use pepperocinis so long as you’ve got garlic and oregano and/or Italian seasoning.
I’d add in a whole 12 oz (small sized) jar of giardiniera for every 3-4lbs of meat, Pop, including the liquid, which is mostly oil. Unless it’s hot, then I’d use a quarter jar for 3-4lbs unless you want it pretty spicy. The meat itself releases plenty of juice so no extra liquid needed ime. In fact, ill probably make some myself in the next couple days, ill post pics (didn’t take any pics the last time sorry).

Suspending belichick for a few games would be a big deal, imo, although I guess josh mcdaniels would step in as interim head coach during that time, and maybe that would be a good audition for him, think hes being groomed to take over when/if bill retires.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so i guess what i have isnt the giardiniera baba'
its called mezzetta, "italian garden vegetables"
it looke like what you describe but its a mostly vinegar based pickle and it has stuff like squash in it
its grinding with olives and some chips or crackers as a snack but i dont think it would have the same flavor profile as the giardiniera
i dig the recipe and if you make it please post up pics!
im going to get some to get an idea of what im looking for but it sounds super easy to make
i think its come to the point where the league makes a big deal about the constant bending of rules
is this the kind of legacy they want to leave, one of the best coaching/qb combos of all time but they still had to cheat?!

good to see you back j'fish! whats your taek on the colts season w/o luck?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, sounds like that might be a form of giardiniera, which in italian means 'pickled chopped vegetables', i think. Different varieties will have like olives, mushrooms, capers, etc in addition to the standard cauliflower/crinkle cut carrots/celery.

In Cali u might be hard pressed to find it in the stores, whereas around chicago it's almost as common as pickles. U can go to amazon to order it online, or maybe just use that mezzata or pepperocinis or banana peppers and make sure you add plenty of garlic/italian spices/S+P. I think real italian beef restaurants just cook a cut of lean beef (top round or something cheap, like $2-3/lb) in water (to make lots of au jus otherwise lean beef doesnt make much juice) and spices/garlic, and add giardiniera as a topping on the sandwich, so you dont absolutely need it if it's not available. Plus u always seem to have some bell peppers on hand, you can probably roast some and skin some and use it as sweet peppers to top the sandwich; at italian beef places they ask if you want hot or sweet peppers, hot is giardiniera, sweet are roasted and skinned green peppers.

Also, if you want to use a cheaper, leaner cut than ribeye or chuck roast u can do that, just make sure add in some water when cooking.

I was pretty impressed when Nap-town started 5-2, their only 2 losses when vinatieri started showing his age (dude is like 46 or something! he's got kids probably older than some of his teammates), but yeah, Fish is right, they've fallen off a cliff the last half of the season. It's mostly the defense, theyve been giving up a bunch of points, was pretty surprised the saints dominated them so on MNF but i guess the D has been underforming for a while. Jelly, u think they should roll with brisket for next season or maybe look to draft a QB? Or maybe Luck is fully recovered from his ankle/calf injury, and is looking to unretire? There's worse jobs than making 25M playing QB in the nfl...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
how do you feel about brisette?
i think you guys might have a decent core to build around

I have no problem with Anthony Brisette. He did a fine job of stepping up. Yeah, we might be good again in a year or two.