What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Archers?

Spaventa

Veteran
Ive been up working on mine. Just wondered if anyone else on here is into bows and arrows? I have a couple of bows, Hoyt compounds. I'm bit of a fan boy. Im into 3D, Field and outdoor target.
What do you do? what do you shoot?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've gotta work on my form if I'm to shoot well as I'm only a beginner archer.

My gear consists of 2 custom long bows, built by Bama Bows. 1 Bamboo "Hunter" model with a 40lb pull @ 29inches & 1 Zebra wood "Elite" model with a 55lb pull @ 29inches.
I chose the traditional style bows because I can build strings myself & string the bow without any special tools. Also, at my age, I didn't think the training wheels were necessary. (poke) Hehe

Damn I need to skin my wrist up!

Spaventa

Veteran
I've gotta work on my form if I'm to shoot well as I'm only a beginner archer.

My gear consists of 2 custom long bows, built by Bama Bows. 1 Bamboo "Hunter" model with a 40lb pull @ 29inches & 1 Zebra wood "Elite" model with a 55lb pull @ 29inches.
I chose the traditional style bows because I can build strings myself & string the bow without any special tools. Also, at my age, I didn't think the training wheels were necessary. (poke) Hehe

Damn I need to skin my wrist up!

Im not the only one then :tiphat: I get all of your reasons for shooting trad bows - Ive been eyeing Mongolian, Siberian and Persian horse bows for some time.
Im not about to saddle up but I do want to learn the techniques for fast repeat shooting at moving targets. The compounds are amazingly accurate at long ranges but no fun under 50 yards for me.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My accuracy is ok...
I wouldn't use my skills for hunting as they're not well developed yet. Hehe

Shooting at a box is kinda boring but a must do. Every once in a while I'll go chase chipmunks through the woods. (Aim small, shoot small) It's more of an exercize, for me, in getting used to carrying this 66inch long beast through the woods.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that the 55lber is also a two piece bow. Man is she a beauty!

Spaventa

Veteran
Bush Dr - bare bow compound might indeed be fun. i run a 27" stab on my carbon as it goes. not sure if stabs are allowed on bare bow.

Anyway guys, I had a great result today. I managed to buy what i thin is the last Timberline No-peep.

03-tim10.jpg

Its the 3rd gen one brand new from a shop in MO, U.S.A. Lovely lady that end shipped it to me for pocket money too. Its lie an "Anchor sight" by Archery Innovations but rather than a nasty red crosshair on white background, it has a black dot on green, lie the Retina loc on IQ sights. I wanted it because I had an IQ and got really used to the retina loc. Now i have an Axcel carbon pro and this Timberline is ideal to use with it. I rejected the whole concept of string mounted peep sights as soon as it was explained and shown to me. A RIDICULOUS brain fart that somehow caught on imo.

Olympic recurve archers prove quite conclusively, with no peep, its the indian, not the bow.

Oh anf i thin the saying is "Aim small, miss small" ;)

Edit - I did used to thin about bowhunting and got all set to go on a trip to Northern Spain to arrow a Ibex. I built hunting arrows, bought heads and a target for them and got pretty good with fixed blades at 40 yards. Then I joined Archerytal and it put me off the whole deal. Deer don't die easy. They can tae an arrow in the heart and run till you can't find them. You can double lung them with a two inch head that passes through and they still put a mile between you and them before they drop. Also, deer are smart. You only have a chance if you hide in a tree all day and night and don't move, or fart or nothing. You may still see no deer. From everything I heard, Its 49 percent waiting for it, 2 percent shooting it and 49 percent looking for it.
Its considered unethical to headshot them but if I was going to shoot a deer, that the way i would go. I have more confidence to hit it in the brain at close range than finding it after it runs with arrow in its engine room. I now some guys say all their lunged deer drop within sight but I thin thats bullshit frankly, its lic when it happens because you hit a big artery. These days I could hit a golf ball consistently at 30 yards so that would be my max distance but I have no immediate pans to do it.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I didn't mean bare bow but bowhunter, look it up on the NFAA website, 12" stabiliser, fixed anchor point, finger release

Well done not going bow hunting if you didn't feel confident or comfortable with it, I used to hunt deer around Lassen, donate the meat to local Hunt for The Hungry group

If you can't hit a golf ball at 30 yds every time, don't think about it

Spaventa

Veteran
Maxed my limbolts last night. went to check the weight with my scale and i couldn't draw the bastard lol

Surprising how a few months of not shooting and you lose it. Had shoulder op last year and been shooting the bow backed off. Needs to stay based off for a bit :)

Earlmarne

Heck yeah, I am an archer. I've hit a few 3d shoots but am a hunter.
Currently running a pse decree hd.
If I'm not in my garden I'm screwing around with my archery tackle

Spaventa

Veteran
Why I got both 40 & 55 lb bows. Hehe

Good luck w that shoulder.

Thanks, Im having another surgery on it at some point next year so thats when Ill need all the luck I can get - Im having it because the last surgery failed. Apparently reattaching torn deltoids isn't easy.
My backup bow will be my trainer bow for a year or two yet.

I got an armex 175lb draw crossbow

Nice, my friend has a crossbow. Ive seen the high end crossbows on youtube and they are VERY impressive. The accuracy at 200 yards with these things is surgical. It probably what Id prefer go hunting with to be honest.

Heck yeah, I am an archer. I've hit a few 3d shoots but am a hunter.
Currently running a pse decree hd.
If I'm not in my garden I'm screwing around with my archery tackle

Me too :) Im always finding something to do. Ive got Hoyts but I seriously thought about PSE bows in the past, several of them.
Ive got a 70# Carbon Defiant Turbo and a 60# Turbohawk , both are 30" DL. The Turbohawk was my first compound.

Earlmarne

I've run hoyt, bear, strother, and pse thus far.
Looking hard at the bowtech mag.
I'm a 30" draw also with bad shoulders. Swapped to lh last year to follow eye dominance n dropped to 60 lbs. Best move ever, don't see myself ever shooting 70 again.

Spaventa

Veteran
I've run hoyt, bear, strother, and pse thus far.
Looking hard at the bowtech mag.
I'm a 30" draw also with bad shoulders. Swapped to lh last year to follow eye dominance n dropped to 60 lbs. Best move ever, don't see myself ever shooting 70 again.

If your left eye dominant, theres a good chance your not cross dominant, but naturally left-handed. Some people had it worked out of them by parents, education and living in a world made for right handed.

Ive always been fully left-handed and left eye dominant. Means gear is harder to find, logos are upside down etc but if you look at how overrepresented lefties are in the highest level of sports, you know theres more advantage than disadvantage ;)

marvin_hagler_vs_john_mugabi_2__3__display_image.jpg

Earlmarne

I was raised by a marine. I learned to shoot a rifle with both eyes open n such.
Played hell as a child with sports figuring out what handed I was.
Shot my first 3 years rh with archery gear. Got pretty dang good but couldn't keep up with the pros around here. Freakin expensive move. Archery talk had some bug a year or so back n lost my user info. So now I just buy new, only good thing for us lefties is equipment cheap to buy used. Screwed on resale though. Got to wait 3 months for a new bow too.
Only thing I've found in my life that I could equate to a spiritual connection is when I'm out here chasing elk or in my garden

Spaventa

Veteran
I was raised by a marine. I learned to shoot a rifle with both eyes open n such.
Played hell as a child with sports figuring out what handed I was.
Shot my first 3 years rh with archery gear. Got pretty dang good but couldn't keep up with the pros around here. Freakin expensive move. Archery talk had some bug a year or so back n lost my user info. So now I just buy new, only good thing for us lefties is equipment cheap to buy used. Screwed on resale though. Got to wait 3 months for a new bow too.
Only thing I've found in my life that I could equate to a spiritual connection is when I'm out here chasing elk or in my garden

I never sell anything. I have a left-handed daughter who will takeover my stuff when I'm past it. It will see her through till she finds her dream rig, and can afford it :)

I bought a release from AT classifieds. Went smooth, seller was great guy, thing was perfect and good price. Was pleased because not only is a obsolete, unavailable and rather unusual "relax" thumb trigger release, its anodised blue which is the highlight /detail colour I go for. Its Spot Hogg Cascade.
Id been using a Winn Freeflight relax trigger happily for a few years but wanted something handheld cos the Winn is lie a glove thing and you got to tae it off to pull arrows, piss, anything. Good for a backup though, its bomb proof.

ill say now, i don't and never have had any sort of target panic or anything - i just prefer releasing by letting go, rather than pulling on something that torques the release - when you finger release, you just let go and my releases are the same, effectively.

Spaventa

Veteran
So I got that that Timberline no peep for my main bow but i want to put a single pin slider on my backup bow and ditch the IQ 5 pin - I hate multi pin sights I've decided. So I need the retina lock part, separated from the rest of the IQ sight. I came to the realisation that the only special part was a small magnifying lens. The rest is non specific really so I got the lens and came up with this using a length of blue fibre, a piece of rubber and a couple of inches of arrow shaft.

picture.php
picture.php

Ive figured out how it can attach to the extension part of my sight in just the right place. I can mount it there using lockable ball joint so it can be setup exactly and then locked securely. Ive ordered this one. When it arrives ill work out the rest.

s-l1600.jpg

The trheaded stud can go through one of the holes in the sight extension with nut on the other side and the arrow shaft fits in the nylon female part. just need to work out how the fibre needs to be routed and positioned.
Those joints only way lie 17 grams so very light for somewhat gives complete adjustability.

So now have the lens I can get more of them from a chinese supplier. They won't have the black dot on them but I can add those with transfers probably. Tiny black dot transfers can't be hard to come by. The lens is the special bit really so once I have a bag of them I can make these things for other people, for a small price of course :)

Earlmarne

So I got that that Timberline no peep for my main bow but i want to put a single pin slider on my backup bow and ditch the IQ 5 pin - I hate multi pin sights I've decided. So I need the retina lock part, separated from the rest of the IQ sight. I came to the realisation that the only special part was a small magnifying lens. The rest is non specific really so I got the lens and came up with this using a length of blue fibre, a piece of rubber and a couple of inches of arrow shaft.

View Image View Image

Ive figured out how it can attach to the extension part of my sight in just the right place. I can mount it there using lockable ball joint so it can be setup exactly and then locked securely. Ive ordered this one. When it arrives ill for out the rest.

View Image

That's slick.
I shoot no peep til I got my bow set up.

Spaventa

Veteran
Did you guys ever hear of the rest that uses magnets so the arrow levitates? The guy who came out with it didn't do it right and it failed but I now exactly where he went wrong and how to fix it. He cut corners on the rare earth magnets, used tiny ones so there was only a tiny area where the arrow would levitate. Those Neodymium magnets are cheaper now so I thin its worth a shot. It has the obvious potential to be the ultimate rest.
The guy tried to mae the small magnets for with an insert in the arrow that was meant to extend the area on the arrow that would float. The point, or ferrule of a BH, imo, is the part you need to work with the magnets, not a weight adding steel tube inside the shaft.