What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skateboarding Thread

vinmanr2d2

i used to ride a kevin staab insanity board. i remember jumping over a chevy chevette a few times. also loved BMX. still have a couple hutch pro racers. great thread buddy.

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
I used to skateboard a lot when I was younger, but not being real good at all I sorta gave up. I could ollie, hard flip and pop-shuvit but that's about it as far as that goes. :pointlaug I could attack a curb real well though, any sort of stall you could think of and could flatland decently well. I was better at tricks that were cool in the beginning of skateboarding, not so much the new stuff. I could do a good manual, and one wheel manual. All sorts of combos on them too, madonna manual, blah blah blah. We used to put a skatebaord on theotherside of, oh say a wheelbarrow, and skateup to it, jump off your board and land on the other. Called it a Hippy. Not sure which movie we got the name from, or if it is even correct.
Nothing got me more amped to skate than a joint. Roll one up and crank up the Jimi Hendrix, pull out the funbox, it is time to grind! I still love rolling around on it. Just nowhere near as good as I used to be (and I was never really that good).

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in the day

in the day

we would nail ,or if making the really deluxe model , screw a steel skate to a board and slide around the pavement on it. It was awesome shooting down the big hills and sliding sideways off the pavement or hitting a big crack and stopping. Things really changes when they got nylon wheels and plastic boards......damn!

now i ride www.skyski.com

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
I skated vigorously from when I was 12 to 16... every damn day. Had kickers, boxes, and rails out in my yard and would just skate in the street all day. Started slowing down when I got my license (got lazy!), a girlfriend, and was tired of spraining my ankles. A few of my friends still skate it up everyday and have just gotten rediculous. Here's a pic of a 15 year old hardflip... one of the few pics that were salvaged over time.

Ahh I miss it...

Edit: By the way I could never skate for SHIT when I was stoned :pointlaug

Last edited:

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
I used to skate alot with this guy we called crackhead, he was all into jumping big staircases and shit. One day he jumped off a train and cracked his head..he's still alive!! I'm gona go get woiste with him tonite lol. You'd think weed would make you less scared of trying dangerous tricks and I'm sure for some people that's true but for me it wasn't. When I'm stoned I don't feel like getting hurt or getting into a fight, when I'm not stoned I feel invincible.
peace

G

Beware he's possesed to skate...

Yeah, sick thread, I find it essential to burn and skate. It inspires me and helps me concentrate. Now on the beer issue, hell no, I land on my head every time.LOL!
Skating is like driving, it doesn't mix with alcohol in my case.

The funnest days in my youth were skating and watching my heroes like Jason Lee (Who would have known), Matt Hensley (H-Street!), Natas and crew innovate with amazing tricks. it was like a revolution in the sport, skateboarding changed from vert focused to street. Gator killed his girl, Hosoi got nabbed for dealing speed. That decline in vert fucked with some fools heads. Nowadays things seem way too techy. Shit, kids are trying to do switch 360 flips to darkslide before they can ollie..

I remember the old Del Mar Bowl days when Hosoi and the cool skaters would hide out and smoke joints in between sessions, while others like TH and crew would talk shit about them, and some would go as far as try to persuade them to stop....Funny how some jocks (Andy MAc) still have this anti-cannabis agenda, bunch of hypocrites...
Oh and TH's book about how he was transfered from San Dieguito to Torrey Pines High because SD didn't have Surf P.E. is total BS. Fools at San Dieguito used to clown him for skimboarding while everyone else was in the water catching waves in Surf PE..His dad would make the pricipal change all the rules at school just for sonny. He was the one who made the principal transfer TH from schools because everyone made fun of him, even though that was against the school district rules...lame ass had to lie in the book to make himself look cool...He is a millionaire off his video games tho that's fo sho' , too bad him and Andy Mac love to make their crap and sell it at wall mart and target, talk about fucking the industry.......... :rant: :jerkit:

growmatic

I used to skate a lot--it was a great passtime. Every once in a while I'll jump on the 7-ply and pump the bowls at a local skatepark but I can't say I've done much skateboarding since having to pay for my own health insurance.

Scrappy~ I didn't know people could skate the Glory hole--that's amazing. I just thought it was a straight tube that released somewhere on the other side of barryessa--jeez with all the time I spent in Davis that makes me wish I would have sessioned that up. Do you need a rope to lower yourself down to a flat point somewhere in the tube? Looks pretty gnarly man--how far is the drop to get to a point where it's level enough to skate on? If you bail out on a trick will you lose your board?

CsfRaziel

glad to see whe have some more stoner skaters on the website here!

im about to blaze up and then meet up with some buddies at a local skatepark.... prolly gonna go skate street after a little while at the park :jump:

it sucks now that cold weather is starting to move it... im going to have to pay to skate indoors all winter :badday:

peace

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
ex skater here...

i dont have much time for skating anymore..but when i did skate..i was more drunk than stoned at the time. Growing has always been my #1 hobby..skating a close second.

But i miss the life. The parties..the mad booze drinking..the girls...skaters are always welcome anywhere you know :D..But unless you go pro it's a dead end..at least in this part of the world :)

good times..

G

Hardcore skaters have a very unique lifestyle most people don't even think about: We travel constantly, always making friends along the way, crashing at tons of differnt people pads, always parting, dealing with street people, dealing with constant harrassment with leo, constantly scoping everywhere for spots, the constant injuries.....
could go on and on.

But on thing is for certain, we all have a bond and even still if i see some rats busting i'll go chat with them even if their 14. Show em some old school stuff to broaden their mind and be on my way. Like the say ONE LOVE.

G

[/QUOTE]"..But unless you go pro it's a dead end..at least in this part of the world :)"
The skate industry is a dead end, even in SoCal. The industry got invaded by Nike, Quiksilver and a few other multinational corporations a few years back. They bought some pros and bought many brands and distributors, trying to hide the real owners. The pros still make peanuts unless they sell their soul to hot pockets and 7UP (very few do, ex. Andy MCMAc and Tony Cock).
What's really lame is that *real skater owned companies have a lifespan of 1 to 3 years if that and barely anyone makes money. They can't compete with pricing and cheply made chinese product and in the end 90 percent of professional skaters have to do sidework to survive and the few who ESPN chose to put on TV get the real Dollars and the fame, for what, lurking back and forth on some stupid halfpipe. 99 percent of skaters don't skate vert and wouldn't want to because it's so boring..So that's what skateboarding is now, a spectator sport for the ESPN crowd. There are some cool street skaters and real skaters left, but the industry is super saturated and virtually a dead end because those larger companies will never know what the real meaning of skateboarding is, and it's not to make a quick buck...
The ASR tradeshow is a perfect example of this. A bunch of jocks whonever skated and now own half the brands because he saw it on ESPN and realized finally that this skateboarding thing is a very lucrative business. All the main players both in the skat industry and the distribution both wholesale and retail are all mega corporate bullcrap. Anyone would get dissilusioned and leave that mess. I saw it happen to way too many true skaters who ripped and are great salesmen, managers, employees, etc..
It's not what it used to be - A real industry for the skaters by the skaters...

on the other hand -

It has made for many public skateparks to be built, which I do enjoy..

Last edited:
G

It has definately been whored out in the worst way......it makes me sad. I really got heavy into skating about 96 ish......when it was still dead and i miss those years so damn much. There are a few good companies but it is a sad situation.

I blame it all on Fony Cock and his stupid 900. After that......it was ALL OVER.

Oh.....skateparks in my opinion are means of crowd control. Most parks that go up in small towns SUCK. Then they make it illegal to even step on your board outside of the shitty park. More ways for the government to keep the rifraff off the streets.
I think in a few more years REAL STREET will cease to exist.
SAD

Last edited:
G

Not much skating for my, riding occupies most of my time...but I hope on a board every now and then to mess around.

And I think your right sonshine...real street will be dead soon. Its really too bad because street is so much better than a skatepark. I ride a bike and I'm saying that, and I know skaters like street even more than bikers (most). Something about riding/skating something that wasn't made for that use at all and seeing everyone doing something unique on it. That and the people you meet and things you see riding/skating street make is so much fun. Gonna be a sad day when everything is skatestoped...but hell new stuff pops up everyday.

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Skating is dead if you don't skate. Skating is not about money. Go skate the glory hole on a summer day when it's dry. It has nothing to do with money. It's a huge rush. Cynicism is a cancer. Hating Hawk does nothing. Now go skate. I'm 40 and I still skate.

goldfronts

me and my friends were just talking about skating and about the huge pants we used to wear... New Deals, Basics, etc.

I love skating and especially bombing hills with my crew.....

Latest posts

Latest posts