What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II

UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II

• Chris Weidman

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Anderson Silva

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Date: December 28, 2013
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Broadcast: PPV, FOX Sports 1, Facebook

Main card (PPV) (10:00pm EST)
-Chris Weidman (10-0) vs. Anderson Silva (33-5)
-Ronda Rousey (7-0) vs. Miesha Tate (13-4)
-Travis Browne (15-1-1) vs. Josh Barnett (33-6)
-Jim Miller (22-4, 1 NC) vs. Fabricio Camoes (14-7-1)
-Dustin Poirier (14-3) vs. Diego Brandao (18-8)

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1) (8:00pm EST)
-Chris Leben (22-10) vs. Uriah Hall (7-4)
-Gleison Tibau (28-9) vs. Michael Johnson (13-8)
-Dennis Siver (21-9) vs. Manny Gamburyan (13-7)
-John Howard (21-8) vs. Siyar Bahadurzada (21-5-1)

Preliminary Card (UFC.com/Facebook) (7:00pm EST)
-William Macario (6-1) vs. Bobby Voelker (24-10)
-Robbie Peralta (16-4) vs. Estevan Payan (14-4)

Stream info:

Prelim Stream:
http://firstrowus1.eu/sport/boxing-wwe-ufc.html

Event Stream:
http://firstrowus1.eu/watch/229732/1/watch-ufc-168:-chris-weidman-vs-anderson-silva.html

Alternate Stream links:
http://www.nutjob.eu/
http://www.wiziwig.tv
http://www.vipbox.tv/
http://coolsport.tv/
http://tvembed.eu/
http://sportsbun.com/
http://firstrowus1.eu/

UFC_168_event_poster.jpg

jayjayfrank

Veteran
i do not believe there is anything silva can do to psychologically defeat weidman, his resolve is too strong. silva must pull every trick from every hat and be prepaird to commit more than ever before to take this one home.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Gotta go with Silva, even though he is 38 years old. Weidman is a great fighter, but let's face it: that last fight, he got very lucky as Silva's clowning/mugging with his hands down gave Weidman an opening he's not going to get again. It was a grievous mistake by Silva, and I don't think you will see it again. He will be serious and he will come out fighting. I expect him to be using more front kicks to keep Weidman from backing him up, and I expect Silva to use a lot of Muay Thai in this fight. Silva is favored by the oddsmakers, so that tells you something. He is still considered "the greatest" by most experts. Should be a very interesting fight.
Tempted to put $100 on Meisha Tate, just because the odds are so long it's absurd. She could get lucky.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just re-watched the first fight and can't agree that Weidman got lucky. Silva was lucky he kept it on the feet in the end of the first round and into the second with his clowning - had he been more serious, Weidman would have probably pushed harder for the takedown and dominated as he already did in the first.

Even with the striking - I can see that Silva is faster, but because Weidman has similar reach and can launch his strikes from further out than usual, Silva's fast counter-striking couldn't close the distance fast enough to connect. If anything I see Silva catching Weidman on a takedown attempt or something random.

I'm looking for a decision or sub victory for Weidman personally, but a sick KO from Silva would be awesome too.

Bmac1

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Main card (PPV) (10:00pm EST)
-Chris Weidman (10-0) vs. Anderson Silva (33-5) 1st rd KO KOTN
-Ronda Rousey (7-0) vs. Miesha Tate (13-4) 1st rd armbar SOTN
-Travis Browne (15-1-1) vs. Josh Barnett (33-6) 1st round arm triangle
-Jim Miller (22-4, 1 NC) vs. Fabricio Camoes (14-7-1) 2nd rd RNC
-Dustin Poirier (14-3) vs. Diego Brandao (18-8) Poirer by UD and FOTN

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1) (8:00pm EST)
-Chris Leben (22-10) vs. Uriah Hall (7-4) rd 2 TKO
-Gleison Tibau (28-9) vs. Michael Johnson (13-8) Decision
-Dennis Siver (21-9) vs. Manny Gamburyan (13-7) Decision
-John Howard (21-8) vs. Siyar Bahadurzada (21-5-1) Decision

Preliminary Card (UFC.com/Facebook) (7:00pm EST)
-William Macario (6-1) vs. Bobby Voelker (24-10) rd 2 TKO
-Robbie Peralta (16-4) vs. Estevan Payan (14-4) decision
[/FONT]

RetroGrow

Veteran
I just re-watched the first fight and can't agree that Weidman got lucky. Silva was lucky he kept it on the feet in the end of the first round and into the second with his clowning - had he been more serious, Weidman would have probably pushed harder for the takedown and dominated as he already did in the first.

Even with the striking - I can see that Silva is faster, but because Weidman has similar reach and can launch his strikes from further out than usual, Silva's fast counter-striking couldn't close the distance fast enough to connect. If anything I see Silva catching Weidman on a takedown attempt or something random.

I'm looking for a decision or sub victory for Weidman personally, but a sick KO from Silva would be awesome too.

When I said "lucky", I meant that one punch was a lucky punch which clipped Silva right on the button & he went out. Not taking anything away from Weidman. He's solid in every way. But Silva is not going to get caught clowning like that again. I heard an interesting interview with him last night, and he explained that he has his Muay Thai master from Thailand working in his training camp, and he's been working a lot on Muay Thai, so I think we can expect some flying knees/elbows and a lot of Muay Thai strikes. What's interesting is which man is better on the ground and tries to take it to the ground. Going to be a classic matchup for sure.... new kid vs old master......:biggrin:...I'm ready for it to start now....

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Silva always backs straight up when he dodges a punch. I knew he would get clipped on the chin one day. Thats the problem with always pulling straight back. His opponent watches the videos of his fights, steps in alot more and aims for the back of Silvas head when he throws a punch, and that defeats Silvas gay, dodgy, "backing up", show-off shit.
Hes so cocky and arrogant. Im glad he got K.O'ed.
I hope this time Weidman ground and pounds Silva and breaks his will to ever be in the cage again. I hope it haunts Silvas nightmares forever.
I wanna see serious blood, coming from Silva, covering the ring, Weidmans elbows, and gloves. I wanna see Silva tap like a bitch.

The only fight I really wanna see on this card is Uriah Hall knocking around Chris Leben for 2 rounds. Then coming out in the 3'rd, to a bloodied, exhausted Leben, whos heart is only gonna get his own face punched in by Hall for another devastating round.
Leben is just a punching bag for the heavy hitters like Hall.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Right.
Im not betting on Silva or Leben. I think there both gonna get stomped.
Leben has heart and experience, but you see Hall fight during the Ultimate Fighter?
Hes a bad man. Alot of power, speed, and skill.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking for Weidman to ground and pound Silva to a finish. Last fight he was wailing on Silva from the mount postion. Even Silva can only take so much of that. Assuming Weidman has the stamina to do that for 5 rounds.

Weidman will not finish Silva while they are standing, well anything can happen but not likely. If Weidman stands and trades with Silva for too long he will experience what Silva did last fight. He is too smart for that imo.

No more Silva with the hands down and bobbing and weaving. Think he got cured of that game last fight. If he starts connecting with Weidman much, Weidman will take him down and tattoo a message onto his face, 'Silva former middleweight champ'!

I enjoyed Ali clowning in his fights but he clowned after the fights too, all part of his persona. Silva clowns his opponents in the ring and afterwards acts like a humble and respectful man to everyone. Seems fake and comes off bad for me somehow. Glad he got humbled last fight, he needed it.

vapor

Veteran
weidman was starting to gas in the first fight and i think that's what anderson wanted. Watch for it again...//

looking forward to this rematch, and the ladies fighting should be good too..the whole card looks awesome, and a nice finish to the year. dam time difference always leaves me half sleeping when the main fights start. lol, suppose the smoking doesnt help matters either.

Ickis

Veteran
I want to see the Silva/Weidman fight go exactly the way overgrow described it. I disagree with you overgrow about Hall. He was great on The Ultimate Fighter but he has stunk the octagon up in the UFC. Hall might beat on Leben but in the 3rd that bloodied and beaten Leben is going to knock Hall out.

Vapor I totally disagree with you. There was no evidence whatsoever of Weidman gassing.

I also would like to point out that Silva refused to shake hands at the weigh-in. Just like last time right before the fight in the octogon. He didn't shake and then spit on Weidman.

So watch the fight instructions carefully. There isn't going to be a handshake because this time Weidman isn't even going to try and shake hands.

Remember in the movie Raging Bull where he fought Tony "Pretty Boy" Janiro and his wife said Janiro was pretty or good looking? Then Lamotta purposely beat on him more than usual just to mess him up. Then afterwards the announcer said "Janiro isn't pretty anymore".

Well I think that is Weidman's mission tonight. He is going to maul him then do some extra mauling on him just to show all the doubters and Silva that he is just flat out better than Silva

In an attempt to do this he could get the flash kick to the head and be knocked out. It is Anderson Silva after all. However. I am going to be shocked if Weidman does not completely maul, destroy and submit Silva and end any controversy who is better.

Silva isn't going to be pretty anymore after tonight.

Predictions

Weidman wins via submission
Rousey gets disqualified (biting or hair pulling) I am being serious here and Tate wins after beating her face for a round or two.
Browne wins via knockout (knee to the face)
Miller wins via rear naked choke
Brandao wins via knockout
Leben wins by knockout or triangle choke
Tibau wins by KO
Siver wins by TKO spinning leg kick
Howard wins by KO

Bmac1

Veteran
I also would like to point out that Silva refused to shake hands at the weigh-in.

There was hesitation but they shook hands, squared off, then rather than shake again, Silva bowed to Weidman.

Weidman is the real deal, no doubt about it but I think Silva is all business and destroys him early in the first round.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Some of you guys haven't watched the first fight carefully enough. I watched it several times last night. The take down was nothing special. Weidman did no damage to Silva at all. And Weidman was breathing really hard between rounds. That is easy to see. Silva's clowning got the best of him, and I think it was a lesson learned. Silva is a much more skilled fighter, the best of all time, and he will knock Weidman out tonight. He is not going to clown, he is going to fight angry, and he will destroy Weidman, who got lucky in the first fight. The people talking about Silva "spitting" are full of crap. He is and always has been respectful. Bowing is the traditional method of showing respect in martial arts, not shaking hands. Silva is old school, and he bows to the crowd and to his opponent, as it should be. YouTube has a video of predictions from other fighters, and almost all of them pick Silva. I go with them, not some loudmouth talking shit about "spitting". If you watch the fight over a couple of times, you might see the damage that Silva did to Weidman's leg. It was red raw and swollen, and he could not have taken too many more of them. I see Silva leg kicking him 'till he can't walk, and then destroying him with strikes & knees. He will not be clowning, and Weidman will not get lucky again. Silva will destroy him, and he will do it with class, as he always does, unlike the one moron above who is talking a lot of shit about hair pulling and a whole lot of other crapola.

RetroGrow

Veteran
There was hesitation but they shook hands, squared off, then rather than shake again, Silva bowed to Weidman.

Weidman is the real deal, no doubt about it but I think Silva is all business and destroys him early in the first round.

That is correct. Silva has always shown respect. When he comes into the ring, he bows four times to each section of the crowd, and he bows to his opponent, as he did @ the weigh in. That is the proper way of showing respect in martial arts, and has been for thousands of years. Shaking hands is an American deal, and guess what, Americans did not invent martial arts. Silva is a most respectful fighter and person. He is from another culture and English is not his first language. Brazilians are much "sweeter" @ heart than Americans, and they are more soft spoken and respectful, as Silva is. He epitomizes class & respect, unlike the clueless pinheads disrespecting him. You will never hear him talking shit and making a fool of himself. He was very gracious in defeat, and gave Weidman all the respect in the world. Some of you guys need to watch the first fight again a few times, and see who actually did the most damage before the lucky, flash knockout.
And another thing, the one thing I don't like about this sport. When a man is knocked out with one punch, which Silva clearly was, how is it sporting to pounce on an unconscious man and smash him in the face a few more times? This should not be allowed. If a fighter's defenseless and unconscious, why hit him again when he is flat on his back with his arms at his side? Someone is going to get killed some day by these tactics, and I think they need to change the rules to prevent more damage to a fighter who is already knocked out. Dan Henderson punching an unconscious Bisping was a prime example of this cowardly tactic. There should be a penalty for punching an unconscious fighter. I don't see anything sporting about it.

Bmac1

Veteran
It is the referees job to protect the fighter in that instance. The fighters are instructed to go until the bell rings or the ref pulls you off. That being said, I have the utmost respect for the guys that stop before the ref gets there. The walk away KO's are a thing of beauty.

Silva was gracious in defeat for sure but he has been making a fool of himself in the cage for his last couple fights leading up to his loss to Weidman and has been very disrespectful in the cage to a few opponents. Demian Maia for instance. He was talking some serious shit in the ring to him. The general way of treating his last few opponents like they didnt deserve to be in the cage with him rubbed me the wrong way and I had been praying for him to get a slice of humble pie, and he got it.

I think he tears through Weidman fast in the first round and then retires or vacates the belt and moves to 205. Weidman is the real deal though and I will have no problem eating some crow should he blast Silva out again.

Ickis

Veteran
Retro I don't understand why you take every discussion to the name calling level. I am a loudmouth for stating my opinion? I agreed and disagreed respectfully. You need to chill out.

I have more predictions. Retro will never return to this thread after Silva gets brutalized tonight. And if he does it will be with all kind of excuses about how it was another fluke.

One more... If Rousey wins it will be by armbar because that is all she has. I bet she holds it long after the tap just like Palhares. And Dana better ban her for life.

Ickis

Veteran
I just found a whole clip of the weigh in and Sila actually shook his hand right away before they faced off. He didn't afterwards but did bow. I will admit I was wrong. I never saw the whole clip just the highlight where Weidman stuck his hand out and Silva didn't shake it.

Retro when in Rome do what the Romans do. The fights are mostly in America now. American money fuels this sport. If Americans don't care this sport would die. Period! No more maintream mma.