What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Icmag Cardio Thread

stc9357

Hello, all fellow Icmagers who run for fitness like me. I just wanted to post a thread devoted for us. If you run more than 15+ miles a week you belong here if not and your trying to this is the place for you too!

You can post up your times on various things I'm training for RIP(Ranger Orinetation Training) which means some intense workouts (Have to be able to complete: 5 mile run (under 40 mins.- easy breezy), 8 mile rucksack march, 12 mile rucksack march( marches are more like runs), and various other exercises (with prefect form) and a 15 meter BDU swim (full gear).

So if you have any mile times or fitness tips you want to share go ahead I'm opening up the floor plus I'm about to go do some interval training see you in around 20 mins.

THC123

Veteran
Well if i go running i always carry a heart rate meter , try to stay in diff zones(depending on training)

I think without a heartrate meter it is difficult to overdo it leading to injuries.

Also i only run on the course close to home , it has a special shock absorbing layer , so after your workout your knees are fine.

Running on asfalt is really bad for the knees , even with special shoes.

After my workout , at home , i walk around on my bare feet , shoes make the ankle stiff

Oh yeah , stretchign before and after workout's is very adviseable.

Atm i am training my basic fitness as i haven(t done much sport in the last 2 years. So when i run now , i just run for bout 45 minutes but i stay under 160 hear rate.

After 2 months i will begin interval training , but now i do it easy so my joints and little muscles in the feet can strenghten again:abduct:

stc9357

I heard running is not good for the knees ?

We'll running isn't good for the knees but neither is smoking *anything* good for the lungs. Both my uncles were in the rangers one has bad kness because he's overweight(5'10'' just like me but weighs around 250) whereas my other uncle is till in good shape with nothing wrong with his knees. Its not like I have a choice in the matter of running plus it feels good knowing you could run if a dogs chasing you flat out for 1.3 miles. Don't suggest any other form of service because it would be an insult to my warrior spirit.

NOKUY

Veteran
hard_work_pays_off_later_lazyness_pays_off_now_tshirt-p235413014448794936trlf_400.jpg

devilgoob

Veteran
stc: do all the training you can. the combination of stress and physical pain, determination etc will make you complete those ruck sack marches. Yes and the marches are more like runs.

P

pSi007

in recent days, i have become lazy and lack the enthusiasm to run 15 miles a week. I walk about 20 miles a week and i weigh 230lbs, i`m 5'9", i bench press almost 300 lbs and my blood pressure is 122/72, my resting heart rate is 66 beats per minute and i perfuse 100% blood-oxy..

its all about what you eat, keep it clean!!!!!

stc9357

I'm the eact opposite you seem to be a fairly large guy I'm 5'10'' weight 155 but bench 210 220 max. I lift for endurance of my muscles and strength but not looking to bulk up to much maybe an extra 15.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
its all about what you eat, keep it clean!!!!!

I just read a lengthy report in the medicine journal that found that it's not all about what you eat, it's actually all about how you work out. Food is very important to a healthy diet, but overall exercise and workouts daily are more crucial to a healthy body.
It makes sense, I know a few 300+ pound "vegetarians" yet never met a fat or unhealthy runner...It's all about not being lazy and having a proactive and sweat filled workout!

The thread title has a key word - Cardio

Mr. Burgundy

Duty*Honor*Country

Duty*Honor*Country

I'm in my old ratty BDU's, saluting you young man on your upcoming quest. Go forth and lead the way!!

Make sure you do as much running in boots as you can, to get familiar. And when you are tired of running, run some more!

If I may be allowed to interject-when ya get to Camp Rudder, DRESS WARM!

You will love the mini zoo with the snakes, gators, etc. (I'm being sarcastic.)

Last time I was there two Rangers froze to death during the night!

Yes. Florida, and freeze to death in the same sentence...

Watch your 6 out there...

Stay Classy!

TwoOhSix!

I went on a run last night for the first time in awhile... I used to train Track/XC - 50 mile weeks, ect.
I was feeling good on my little run and became curious about my fitness level since I hadn't raced in so many years. So today I went to the track and had my buddy time me, turns out I can break 5:00 mile and still run 58 second quarters off zero training!

stc9357

I went on a run last night for the first time in awhile... I used to train Track/XC - 50 mile weeks, ect.
I was feeling good on my little run and became curious about my fitness level since I hadn't raced in so many years. So today I went to the track and had my buddy time me, turns out I can break 5:00 mile and still run 58 second quarters off zero training!

Nice fitness level for somebody who hasn't been doing it in a while (how long were you in your peak shape?). To above poster after talking with my parents I've decided to go back to school an finish (two years left ) and embark again after getting my degree since I'll have something to fall back on when I get out. I'll be continuing to do PT until I get that ranger tab.

Mr. Burgundy

Good On Ya!

Good On Ya!

I did the same thing-got my B.A. before I enlisted...You'll be a stronger warrior for it.Keep your "blade" sharp though....

Best of luck with school.

Stay Classy!

TwoOhSix!

Nice fitness level for somebody who hasn't been doing it in a while (how long were you in your peak shape?). To above poster after talking with my parents I've decided to go back to school an finish (two years left ) and embark again after getting my degree since I'll have something to fall back on when I get out. I'll be continuing to do PT until I get that ranger tab.

I ran for 4 years in High School, both track and xc seasons plus offseason training... so basically 4 years of constant running. My last two years I got pretty fast, running around 16:20 for 5k, 4:24 for the mile, 1:59 800m, 53 for 400m. But that was in 2005, so I haven't done shit except smoke weed and play basketball since then. I lifted weights for awhile and got alot bigger but have stopped recently. I attribute my sub 5:00 mile fitness to hours of hooping that I've been doing alot lately.

It's funny you say that you run for "fitness" because that's never what I did it for. You can be plenty fit and not do much running at all. Not to say running won't help your fitness level, but for me running was always about the competition. I love competetion, I love beating people at shit and being better than them. It doesn't matter what it is really. Running was just something I was naturally decent at and so I worked harder than most everyone else to become one of the best.

stc9357

I ran for 4 years in High School, both track and xc seasons plus offseason training... so basically 4 years of constant running. My last two years I got pretty fast, running around 16:20 for 5k, 4:24 for the mile, 1:59 800m, 53 for 400m. But that was in 2005, so I haven't done shit except smoke weed and play basketball since then. I lifted weights for awhile and got alot bigger but have stopped recently. I attribute my sub 5:00 mile fitness to hours of hooping that I've been doing alot lately.

It's funny you say that you run for "fitness" because that's never what I did it for. You can be plenty fit and not do much running at all. Not to say running won't help your fitness level, but for me running was always about the competition. I love competetion, I love beating people at shit and being better than them. It doesn't matter what it is really. Running was just something I was naturally decent at and so I worked harder than most everyone else to become one of the best.

I really run because I just like too its relaxing.