What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EVERYTHING BOXING

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
was just in another thread(ali vs tyson) hijacking it with off subject posts about boxing. figured i would start my own boxing thread.

----this is not a boxing vs. mma thread.
----anything boxing goes
----dont forget, im the smartest person in the universe and im never wrong.

--so, what should we talk about first?
greatest boxer?
greatest rivalries?
trilogies?
--lets start with trilogies-what was the best? bowe v holyfield? haugen v pazienza(we will know your an old fuck if ya remember that one!) who were those two fighters from mexico who fought three times in 18 months over last couple years? im havin a brain fart! they were spectacular fights. I might actually have to go with bowe holy. whacha think?

NOKUY

Veteran
i used to watch lots of boxing...didnt watch just to watch tho....i had a few favorites that i wouldnt miss.

my alltime favorite boxer is shannon briggs...and for a while i thought he was seriously gonna win the heavyweight belt...he came close, but never got it.

also always watched holyfield and larry holmes.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Me and boxing go way back. I remember the days when boxing was so exciting... Was doing some work at a youngster at someone's condo. Nobody was home so I turned on ABC Wide World of Sports and happened to catch Tommie Hearns fight Pipino Cueves. I had never heard of The Hitman until that fight. The devastating finale comes at the 5:45 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_AQK2idU8

Another favorite from back in the day was Mathew Saad Muhammad. He had some fantastic fights and often came from behind to score great knockouts. The end of his career more or less came in a couple fights against Dwight Braxton aka Dwight Muhammad Kawi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Saad_Muhammad

I remember Hollyfield in the Olympics, he got robbed. He was clearly the best light heavyweight.

Boxing was the shiznit. I hope it can make a comeback, especially our Olympic boxing program.

ljjr

i'm loving this thread already sub i am also a boxing FANatic and former fighter. are you talking about erik morales vs marco antonio barrera they had 3 marvelous bouts so did juan manuel marquez and manny pacquio. the holyfield bowe fights were great, well at least the 1st one in the 10th round when bowe had holyfield hurt in the beginnig of the round and holyfiel roared back to steal the round. the 2nd one was interrupted by fan-man(boy did he get an ass whopping huh!). i can go on for days talking the "sweet-science"

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Sorry but in his prime, I think Roy Jones would have been a better matchup for Ali than Tyson. Both of them were dancers and I would give my left nut to see that fight. Now Roy fell off. He is a smoker,drinker, etc.

His last fights with Tarver and such have really made me want to slap him for not retiring sooner. But we know how the game works. He likes that money and got paid win or lose.

Anyway, the thing I like about Roy is that he always Reps his hometown. We have Emmitt Smith too. He graduated from my Highschool, but he refuses to claim us as his hometown. Look on old Madden games, it says Irving Texas as his hometown. What a sell out!

But Roy.... Never that.... Pcola baby! He always shouts out to his peeps at home and even has his record label here. Bodyhead. "I smoke, I drank, I want to stop but I cant." LOL! Roy is a trip. Straight country boy.

Anyway, now you know who my boxing hero is. He just won again on Saturday night. Here in town. TKO!

But he is getting old and cant dance like he used to. Trust me, I see him in the club a lot. Should see the Rolls Royce he drives around town. LMAO! It has ten switches on it.

Roy Jones Jr., Eight-Time World Champion, returns to Pensacola to fight for the first time since January, 1999 when he battles Omar Sheika at the Pensacola Civic Center on Saturday, March 21, 2009. The fight card will also feature a bevy of Mixed Martial Arts stars headlined by Seth Petruzelli, who most recently knocked out Internet legend and previously undefeated Kimbo Slice. The event is being promoted by Square Ring Promotions in association with Hirsch Borao Boxing and the Pensacola Civic Center and will be broadcast live on pay-per-view.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found it! it was vasquez-marquez. three fights i think in 18 months, and non stop action the whole way!!!!! been driving me nuts all day!!!!!
---yukon-shannon was always fun to watch. at least till that fight where he got cut real bad and lost it. never seemed to recover after that fight.
--vh-tommy was a bad man! loved watchin his skinny ass knock people the f out!!!
---ljjr-morales barrerra was the shit too. maybe even a better trilogy! but i loved the fact these guys(see first paragraph) did it in less then two years(i think) dont think either fought anyone else in between. very cool.
---swampdank-you bring up a very good point. i love roy. and at one point he was without question best p for p. that being said, he did well against ruiz, but ruiz is no ali. would be very interesting too watch.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
does anyone remember john mccain talking about heading up the federal regulation of boxing? i wish he would get back on that. i love mma as much as i love boxing, but if we dont control all the crooked promoters, boxing will be on the way out. i dont listen to those that say its already gone. mma has not yet even come close in worldwide pay per view excitement and revenue to boxing, but if younger generations dont get to see quality boxing matches, they will not love the sweet science like many of us do!
---i propose one sanctioning body. the usa boxing federation. even money in all weight classes(shit, go ahead and unionize it). that way, all the fighters HAVE to fight the best in order to get the belt. it would instantly provide the best boxing matches, and the matchups the fans wanna see, all the time. they could learn a thing or two from dana.

tenotoge

I don't watch boxing anymore, but I'm big on history. I've been reading about that Sullivan vs Kilrain fight. I guess the fighters, crew, and crowd took a train to the middle of nowhere and built a ring on the spot. There's some info. about it on wiki as well.
"
The Kilrain fight is considered to be a turning point in boxing history because it was the last world title bout fought under the London Prize Ring rules and therefore the last bare-knuckle heavyweight title bout. It was also the first American sporting event to receive national press coverage.
For the first time, newspapers carried extensive pre-fight coverage, reporting on the fighters' training and speculating on where the bout would take place. The center of activity was New Orleans, but the governor of Louisiana had forbidden the fight in that state. Sullivan had trained for months in Belfast, New York under trainer William Muldoon, whose biggest problem had been keeping Sullivan from liquor.
Rochester reporter Arch Merrill commented that occasionally Sullivan would "escape" from his guard, and the cry was heard in the village, "John L. is loose again. Send for Muldoon!" Muldoon would snatch the champ away from the bar and take him back to their training camp.
On July 8 1889 an estimated 3000 spectators boarded special trains for the secret location, which turned out to be Richburg, a town just south of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The fight began at 10:30 the following morning, and it looked as if Sullivan was going to lose, especially after he vomited during the 44th round. But the champion got his second wind after that, and Kilrain's manager finally threw in the towel after the 75th round."
75 rounds???? Bare-knuckle?????

NOKUY

Veteran
I don't watch boxing anymore, but I'm big on history. I've been reading about that Sullivan vs Kilrain fight. I guess the fighters, crew, and crowd took a train to the middle of nowhere and built a ring on the spot. There's some info. about it on wiki as well.
"
The Kilrain fight is considered to be a turning point in boxing history because it was the last world title bout fought under the London Prize Ring rules and therefore the last bare-knuckle heavyweight title bout. It was also the first American sporting event to receive national press coverage.
For the first time, newspapers carried extensive pre-fight coverage, reporting on the fighters' training and speculating on where the bout would take place. The center of activity was New Orleans, but the governor of Louisiana had forbidden the fight in that state. Sullivan had trained for months in Belfast, New York under trainer William Muldoon, whose biggest problem had been keeping Sullivan from liquor.
Rochester reporter Arch Merrill commented that occasionally Sullivan would "escape" from his guard, and the cry was heard in the village, "John L. is loose again. Send for Muldoon!" Muldoon would snatch the champ away from the bar and take him back to their training camp.
On July 8 1889 an estimated 3000 spectators boarded special trains for the secret location, which turned out to be Richburg, a town just south of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The fight began at 10:30 the following morning, and it looked as if Sullivan was going to lose, especially after he vomited during the 44th round. But the champion got his second wind after that, and Kilrain's manager finally threw in the towel after the 75th round."
75 rounds???? Bare-knuckle?????

that is crazy!

ljjr

yeah manny p is a great fighter, his upcoming fight with hatton will be a slugfest for i'll say 10 rounds maximum neither fighter backs up and both throw bombs BUT imo i'll have to say manny p by eith 9th or 10th round stoppage only because he has already proven he can beat a convincingly bigger man by the embarrasing beating he put on the bigger harder hitting dela hoya and hatton imo doesn't punch as hard as dela hoya who has also fought at middle weight. if Hatton is to pull off the win he will need to use a get in and work and get out style and use lots of head movement which i'm sure mayweather is teaching him he is capable of winning. but being the warrior hatton is he will stand and trade with manny p. and manny's powerful straight left hand will take its toll in the middle to late rounds. both are great fighters and it will definitely be worth the money. nigel "the dark destroyer" benn was one of my favorite super middleweights, that fight he had with gerald mcclellan was brutal, i would have loved to have seen nigel and joe calzaghe fight,

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I loved the animal rush of adrenalin punching a guy.....40 years ago, but that memory still makes it fun to watch today. Now tell me, anybody not twitch around when you are into a match?
H

tenotoge

he got lots of his moves watching cock fights, and u sure can tell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWnMXzgeZo

:wave:
I do see some chicken fight-esque style. He's FAST. Jesus. And extremely cocky - he was leaving himself open and egging guys on to hit him. Real showboat. Definitely talented. Look at 1:00 in that clip - the fight with the white guy is actually going pretty well, for the white guy..hanging in there. But then the next shot has him hanging on the ropes. Ugh. Hats off to Roy Jones Jr

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
hearns v. hagler. they came out each looking to take the other guys head off, fast. 3 rounds of great action, and a great ko.

i remember hearing it on the news ... then maybe 10 minutes later saw the burger king commercial ... "i wonder what whats-his-name is having for dinner tonight .... probably soup" LOL

CLDBD

I am in big time. Huge boxing fan here. As of now I am still rooting for Juan Manuel Marquez. I saw his first fight against Manny and was hooked. He got knocked down three times in the first round and fought back to get a draw. That says allot about not only his heart but his skill. Allot of folks have been pegging Juan Diaz to be the guy to fight Manny because of his skill and young age. I just watched Juan Manuel eat him up a couple weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge Juan Manuel and Manny have not had a rematch. That is the fight I want to see. I respect Manny for what he has done. I don't really like his style. He is not that great of a boxer. What makes him so good is his chin. I have never seen hime really hurt. He has a head that is like stone so he can just keep going even when taking allot of punishment. He throws allot and throws hard so it is really just a contest of who has the better chin because most boxers that fight him get drawn into his fight and end up losing because they can't take it like he can. I predict he will KO Hatton because of this. There will be an ugly war and Manny will prevail due to having the better chin. The heavyweight division has been pretty lame as of late so the smaller guys have been the ones to watch. There are allot of good fights on the board for this year and there are allot of great fighters to keep an eye on. That is what I love about boxing is that it can all change with one punch.

southpaw

I am in big time. Huge boxing fan here. As of now I am still rooting for Juan Manuel Marquez. I saw his first fight against Manny and was hooked. He got knocked down three times in the first round and fought back to get a draw. That says allot about not only his heart but his skill. Allot of folks have been pegging Juan Diaz to be the guy to fight Manny because of his skill and young age. I just watched Juan Manuel eat him up a couple weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge Juan Manuel and Manny have not had a rematch. That is the fight I want to see. I respect Manny for what he has done. I don't really like his style. He is not that great of a boxer. What makes him so good is his chin. I have never seen hime really hurt. He has a head that is like stone so he can just keep going even when taking allot of punishment. He throws allot and throws hard so it is really just a contest of who has the better chin because most boxers that fight him get drawn into his fight and end up losing because they can't take it like he can. I predict he will KO Hatton because of this. There will be an ugly war and Manny will prevail due to having the better chin. The heavyweight division has been pretty lame as of late so the smaller guys have been the ones to watch. There are allot of good fights on the board for this year and there are allot of great fighters to keep an eye on. That is what I love about boxing is that it can all change with one punch.

I thought Marquez lost the first fight with Manny but did enough to win or at the very least draw the second. I think those of us who want to see a trilogy better be pulling for Ricky in a few weeks.

Not sure yet exactly how I see Hatton - Pacquiao playing out. Mayweather Sr. training Ricky is a wild card. Hatton has never lost at 140. Manny is a force of nature right now. I think Manny wins, but I don't think it will be a walk in the park.

CLDBD

I thought Marquez lost the first fight with Manny but did enough to win or at the very least draw the second. I think those of us who want to see a trilogy better be pulling for Ricky in a few weeks.

Not sure yet exactly how I see Hatton - Pacquiao playing out. Mayweather Sr. training Ricky is a wild card. Hatton has never lost at 140. Manny is a force of nature right now. I think Manny wins, but I don't think it will be a walk in the park.

You are right they did fight a second time. I am a huge boxing fan but I admit I do miss fights because I have a pretty busy life. I can't believe I missed this one but I have not seen a replay of it. I also see so many fights I forget about some of them. I was right about the first fight though. That one was scored a draw. The second one which I am going to go find some tape of was a very close fight as well with Manny having the lead in the points by 1 after 24 rounds of boxing. I think that deserves another fight to make it a trilogy. Still stunned that I missed the rematch.

I want Ricky to win. I don't like guys that always win because they have an iron chin. I feel if Manny had a slightly weaker chin he would not be the star he is. The problem I see with Hatton is he is going to go in just like he does in every fight and try to brawl with Manny. So it is going to come down to who has the better chin. I think Hattons only chance is to KO Manny but I don't see that happening. I pray it will but I think I will be let down. My heart is with Hatton but my money is with Manny.

Another fight that I can't wait to see is Paul Williams vs Shane Mosely. Did you see him flat out destroy Antonio Margarito? That is what I love about boxing. After what Margarito did to Cotto I had him pegged to win that fight. He was outclassed in a big way. I think this fight will be a good one. I think what the world wants to see is Mayweather vs Manny. I wonder what Mayweather is going to do about Marquez calling him out after schooling Diaz?

southpaw

You are right they did fight a second time. I am a huge boxing fan but I admit I do miss fights because I have a pretty busy life. I can't believe I missed this one but I have not seen a replay of it. I also see so many fights I forget about some of them. I was right about the first fight though. That one was scored a draw. The second one which I am going to go find some tape of was a very close fight as well with Manny having the lead in the points by 1 after 24 rounds of boxing. I think that deserves another fight to make it a trilogy. Still stunned that I missed the rematch.

I miss some fights also. It's easy to do, boxing gets so damn little coverage aside from websites...

You are right, the first fight was a draw. I just had Manny winning on my card. The fight pretty much came down to whether or not you scored that first round blitz 10-7 or 10-6.

Definitely try to watch the rematch on youtube. Marquez fought an excellent fight, but the 3rd round knockdown for Manny was a beauty.

I want Ricky to win. I don't like guys that always win because they have an iron chin. I feel if Manny had a slightly weaker chin he would not be the star he is. The problem I see with Hatton is he is going to go in just like he does in every fight and try to brawl with Manny. So it is going to come down to who has the better chin. I think Hattons only chance is to KO Manny but I don't see that happening. I pray it will but I think I will be let down. My heart is with Hatton but my money is with Manny.

Another fight that I can't wait to see is Paul Williams vs Shane Mosely. Did you see him flat out destroy Antonio Margarito? That is what I love about boxing. After what Margarito did to Cotto I had him pegged to win that fight. He was outclassed in a big way. I think this fight will be a good one. I think what the world wants to see is Mayweather vs Manny. I wonder what Mayweather is going to do about Marquez calling him out after schooling Diaz?

I'd be shocked if Shane fought Williams. Long rangy guys with good technical skills are all wrong for him (Forrest and Winky).

Shane put on a clinic for the ages against Margarito. I've always been a Sugar fan, so that softened the blow a little when I lost my "over" bet. It was amazing seeing him absolutely obliterate the guy who steamrolled Cotto.

Latest posts

Latest posts