What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do I stop my dog from barking at bad people?

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well, I rescued a dog a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure how old she is, but I'd guess around 3 or 4. Anyway, she is a Chilean street dog, so she had been used to just roaming the streets and being abused.

She magically appeared in front of my house one day, and let me pet her, and then became attatched to me and my family, so I decided I'd take care of her and what not. She is getting spayed next week and I'm also going to get her vacinated as well, and register her with the government.

Anyway, she is fine with most of the neighbors, it seems she can sense good people and bad people. She hates bad people. She is very loud and vicious when it comes to them. Luckily she doesn't bite them, but she scares them, one guy LITERALLY shit his pants, it was fucking hilarious, but at the same time I can't have her going around terrorizing people.

I know I have the internet, and can google it or something, but I don't want to, because the only community I'm apart of is the cannabis community so I'm trying here first. If no one can help, then I'll resort to google and perhaps the dog whisperer.

I need to know how I can train her to stop loudly barking and chasing people without hitting her, and preferably without yelling at her either, as loud noises scare her.

Does anyone have any advice? I usually have to grab her by the collar, pet her, and hold her back, multiple times a day.

As I'm chasing after her while she's chasing after people, I say "shhhh" and "Don't yell at the neighbors". Obviously I don't think she understands english or spanish, or at least those orders, so I think that's futile.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have any suggestions.

QQNPK

I doubt she will calm down until the guys properly greet her and show their not a dabger for her, if she feels them getting annoyed by her barking she will just get worse. And if you do anything forceful to her she will also get worse. Thats what i belive :tiphat:

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well, the main neighbor she hates, I have witnessed him kicking her, and have been informed by other neighbors as well. He hates animals. So, I don't think he will be nice to her. So, he is making it worse.

Should I perhaps force myself to be friendly to said neighbor so she thinks that he's my friend and not a threat?

I've considered beating his drunkin ass, but she would probably just jump in and help me and tear him to shreds, so that's not something I want to have to deal with.

Perhaps I can force him out of the neighborhood by making alcohol rehabilitation posters and taping them to his door every single day? All of the other neighbors hate him as well, so I'm really not sure what to do.

Also, I decided I will need to invest in a security camera, that way I can catch him in the act abusing her when she's outside, and present it to the proper authorities and hopefully he will learn his lesson, but I fear then perhaps he will try to poison my dog.

If only the Dog Whisperer was easy to get ahold of...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Your dog needs trained. That's all. Probably why it ended up abandoned. I trained dogs professionally for over 15 years.

Most any dog can be trained but without being there, I don't want to give wrong advice. Generally, a leash correction and a word command (hush or stop) will normally solve the problem in a very short time.

One thing I can predict and I'll bet I'm right. You say she likes some people and doesn't like the 'bad' ones. That usually developers into the dog simply not liking anyone outside her pack. The dog most likely needs socialized (properly) and trained.

Seek out the assistance of a qualified trainer in your area (stay away from big box trainers like Petsmart or whatever) and take a short 6 week course. In most cases, the issue will be gone or at least, manageable.

Good luck. Got a picture?

Sunshineinabag

trauma takes time to heal

trauma takes time to heal

Well, I rescued a dog a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure how old she is, but I'd guess around 3 or 4. Anyway, she is a Chilean street dog, so she had been used to just roaming the streets and being abused.

She magically appeared in front of my house one day, and let me pet her, and then became attatched to me and my family, so I decided I'd take care of her and what not. She is getting spayed next week and I'm also going to get her vacinated as well, and register her with the government.

Anyway, she is fine with most of the neighbors, it seems she can sense good people and bad people. She hates bad people. She is very loud and vicious when it comes to them. Luckily she doesn't bite them, but she scares them, one guy LITERALLY shit his pants, it was fucking hilarious, but at the same time I can't have her going around terrorizing people.

I know I have the internet, and can google it or something, but I don't want to, because the only community I'm apart of is the cannabis community so I'm trying here first. If no one can help, then I'll resort to google and perhaps the dog whisperer.

I need to know how I can train her to stop loudly barking and chasing people without hitting her, and preferably without yelling at her either, as loud noises scare her.

Does anyone have any advice? I usually have to grab her by the collar, pet her, and hold her back, multiple times a day.

As I'm chasing after her while she's chasing after people, I say "shhhh" and "Don't yell at the neighbors". Obviously I don't think she understands english or spanish, or at least those orders, so I think that's futile.

Been there done that brpther....im here for ya...best thing you can do is be patient,understanding and CALM.....Dogs have been by mans side ofr 100k years .............its possible to heal those wounds with compassion, time ....

Sunshineinabag

Well, the main neighbor she hates, I have witnessed him kicking her, and have been informed by other neighbors as well. He hates animals. So, I don't think he will be nice to her. So, he is making it worse.

Should I perhaps force myself to be friendly to said neighbor so she thinks that he's my friend and not a threat?

I've considered beating his drunkin ass, but she would probably just jump in and help me and tear him to shreds, so that's not something I want to have to deal with.

Perhaps I can force him out of the neighborhood by making alcohol rehabilitation posters and taping them to his door every single day? All of the other neighbors hate him as well, so I'm really not sure what to do.

Also, I decided I will need to invest in a security camera, that way I can catch him in the act abusing her when she's outside, and present it to the proper authorities and hopefully he will learn his lesson, but I fear then perhaps he will try to poison my dog.

If only the Dog Whisperer was easy to get ahold of...

theres peat bogs for those folks that kick dogs, i see someone kicking my dog ........yeah not gonna end well. If you can ove do it, if not......let me stew on thius for a couple days ill figure something out, thankyou for taking her in.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
You can get a collar that reacts to barking by spraying citrus oil which the dog will hate so will stop barking.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I don't actually recommend any kind of anti-bark collar. They generally don't work without the proper training. And, with the proper training, you don't need a collar.

JME

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Helped my wife rehabilitate and re-home 52 dogs over a 7 year period. They ALL responded the same, since none of them had brain damage.

All dogs want the same thing. The want to know who the pack leader is, and what the rules of the pack are. When they don't have a leader or set of rules, the dog will become the leader and make their own rules. Tip: Most dogs suck at leading a pack and making their own rules by instinct. Let's keep that job with the owners, yeah? :)

So, super basics, dogs respond to a 'bite' from the leader when they're doing something wrong. You can simulate this by poking a finger into their ribs, just behind their front foreleg. Not hard, just enough to get their attention away from what they're barking at.

At the same time you poke them, make a tss! or Chh! or other sound. Make this sound every time you correct the dog. Later, you'll be able to use this noise when you're too far away from them to poke them.

Exercise the dog until they are tired, then go to a place where you know LOTS of people the dog barks at will be. Sit with the dog quietly and correct them EVERY time they react in a way you don't want. Repeat this daily, or every few days, until the dog will respond with only the sound. You'll be surprised how quickly even the most stubborn dog will respond. :)

It takes time, it takes dedication and it takes consistency, just like kids. lol When you're done though, the dog will be MUCH happier and healthier due to the reduced stress they have through knowing the rules. :tiphat:

'Boogieman'

I don't know where you live but in Indiana if you have beware of dog and no trespassing signs on your property and somebody gets bitten it's their fault not yours or your dog. I train my dog at a very young age, I imagine training a grown dog will not be easy.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Old dogs train just as well as young dogs. Doug is right. Although, I wouldn't poke a dog (he knows it's you. And, some dogs might respond by trying to nip/bite your hand). I would use a leash correction. It simulates the nip in the neck that Mom would do. And, it doesn't become a contest to make sure you get your hand away from poking him before he nips you. Otherwise, Doug had it pretty much spot on. JME YMMV

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our Labrador has needed a lot of training as we have two indoor cats,,,,,
Just lots of love and positive reinforcement and lots and lots of patience,,,
Ya buddy will come good in the end just walk the opposite way from that animal hating prick of a neighbour,,,,,,all the best,,,,,s2

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Old dogs train just as well as young dogs. Doug is right. Although, I wouldn't poke a dog (he knows it's you. And, some dogs might respond by trying to nip/bite your hand). I would use a leash correction. It simulates the nip in the neck that Mom would do. And, it doesn't become a contest to make sure you get your hand away from poking him before he nips you. Otherwise, Doug had it pretty much spot on. JME YMMV
lol, very important info, yes. lol The leash works very well indeed. Ceasar "The Dog Whisperer" and such shows have a lot of great info on leash training and it's benefits.

Over this time period we had several red-zone cases which were violent toward everyone. Those dogs you did not poke, you are quite correct. :) With cannabis sedation and leash training, it's amazing what you can accomplish, and with one exception they all came around quickly.

We had one dog... didn't understand english, hated kids, people wearing ball caps, anyone with a cane, mothers holding babies, the list of triggers went on and on. This is not a dog you handle without understanding dog training. After 6 months, we finally broke down and ordered a shock collar which is something I ONLY recommend for cases like this. If you're not a professional or very well educated on dogs, please stay away from shock collars.

15 minutes of proper use and that dog was nearly 100% better at listening. Absolutely amazing response, and within weeks she was paying attention, leash training properly, not attacking animals or people, just awesome.

We'd hold up the collar and she would get all excited. lol She loved the thing. She'd go off barking at one of her triggers, we'd give her the Ch! noise and a mild shock, and she'd sit and look up like "Oh! You're talking to me? What do you want?" with a big ole grin on her face. lol

Dogs are simple. Do some research, take your time, be patient and consistent, and they'll love you for it. :)

D

DNM1

A female dog tends to be more "over protective" of their owner, plus, dogs can smell "fear",or, what you call "bad people"
The problem is caused sometimes by the owner, by over peting/spoiling the dog,especially when a puppy

Sunshineinabag

Dogs are the best!

Dogs are the best!

im guilty of such things as spoiling/overfeeding I used to blame it on my butcher giving such great deals on meat bundles .....frozen hamburger balls just seemed appropriate lmao. I digress now that she has a better exercise routine her hips are better. Theres alot to be said about positive interactions with other dogs/owners and just plain being active with the dog. After four years with my current knucklehead i am now allowing her to"navigate" our walks as long as her prey drive does not show up we usually do ok. A well interacted dog gives that satisfied look in their eyes like "this human fuken gets it"......and i love her with all my heart believe that!

Attachments

• 15895984_197997307331640_766092166034755849_o.jpg
    15895984_197997307331640_766092166034755849_o.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 52
T

TheForgotten

serious?
Shock collar....

how's your humor level?
Shotgun....

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Remote collars work fine IN THE PROPER HANDS. I remember when you could only buy these through a dealer AND IT CAME WITH TRAINING.
I cringed the day I saw them for sale in the big box stores.

Also, today's remote collars are not like the old days when the voltage was so high you could see the poor dog jump when the button was pressed. Today's collars present more of a "humm" for most dogs on level 1 or 2. Many have a beep before any static.

I have trained people in how to use remote collars. But, I only taught people who had already been through my training class multiple times and I was sure had a proper understanding of how to train dogs and why the training works.

THEN AND ONLY THEN, do we move onto remote training as the last training aid leading to complete off lease trained. Which, after all, is the ultimate goal. Most people I train all the way to off-leash went from a 6' lead to a 'long line' and then off leash. I only used a remote collar if the customer specifically asked for it. Better to say yes and train them properly than to let them attempt it on their own, I figure.

I had a total ball competing in the AKC obedience ring. I have an entire room full of blue ribbons for my training efforts.

Attachments

• Hackerawardwall.jpg
    Hackerawardwall.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 40

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Thank you all for the great advice. I will be going with the collar training and the "Shhh" noises as well. She is very picky about her leash, as she has never worn one before, sometimes she just refuses to go, and sometimes she thinks it's a chew toy, but I've found that if I keep a tight grip on it, she learns but slowly, but that is my fault, as I need to do it more often. I'm going to go take her for a walk right now, so she gets more used to the leash, and at night when we're outside and I'm on my phone video chatting or playing games, (the time the evil man usually is outside), I will have her leash on her, that way she will not run after the people.

I guess I am guilty of "over petting" her, but I wouldn't say excessively. I simply give her a back massage, rub her ears, pet her head, scratch underneath her chin, the basics. After she gets done barking at someone, I've then been overly petting her in an attempt to calm her down, but I guess that is not the right method.

Thank you once again, I will report updates, and to everyone who I've tried giving positive rep to, it says I need to spread more around, but I still clicked that I found your posts helpful.

And to the person above me, I think the person recommending the shock collar said it's for extreme cases. Don't worry I have no plans to get a shock collar.

That's why I came here for advice, because I assume most of the people here are not just in the cannabis community but love animals, and I don't want to do anything to harm or abuse her, so for now, the leash and making a "Shhhh" sound will have to do, as well as tiring her out.

I welcome additional advice as well, so other people please feel free to chime in with your advice and experiences as well.

As far as the question if I have a picture, yes, I have plenty, I take pictures of her everyday, but I'd rather not share them online, but she's a mutt but clearly has rottweiler in her.

And yes, she is very protective of me and my family, and is great around kids, and most people in general. In fact she is friendly to other dogs, but they aren't friendly to her, they bark at her and attack her, so she gets scared and runs to me for protection.

Peace & Love,
Tetra
:rasta:

P.S. I don't want to sedate or drug my dog either, as one time I had a dog that ate an ounce of weed and he was high as shit for 24 hours, and afterwards he HATED weed. Even just showing him the jar, his eyes would get big, and he'd bark at it. He learned his lesson I guess. However, I have heard that CBD is effective for animals, so perhaps I'll grow a pure CBD strain and make dog treat edibles for her?

D

DNM1

im guilty of such things as spoiling/overfeeding I used to blame it on my butcher giving such great deals on meat bundles .....frozen hamburger balls just seemed appropriate lmao. I digress now that she has a better exercise routine her hips are better. Theres alot to be said about positive interactions with other dogs/owners and just plain being active with the dog. After four years with my current knucklehead i am now allowing her to"navigate" our walks as long as her prey drive does not show up we usually do ok. A well interacted dog gives that satisfied look in their eyes like "this human fuken gets it"......and i love her with all my heart believe that!

Sweet :)

mack 10

Veteran
Its her skill. My boxer could look a person up and down and know
If they where nuts, or a nice person.

Latest posts

Latest posts