What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do I stop my dog from barking at bad people?

starke

I know this is not constructive and for that I apologize, but I hate a fucker that will kick an animal. Regarding the neighbor you witnessed kicking her. I'd turn her loose and let her eat the fucker. Problem solved.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I realized there's no harm in posting a picture of her, so for the person who asked, here she is.
picture.php

Peace & Love,
Tetra
:rasta:

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I know this is not constructive and for that I apologize, but I hate a fucker that will kick an animal. Regarding the neighbor you witnessed kicking her. I'd turn her loose and let her eat the fucker. Problem solved.

Well, I feel the exact same way, except then I'd have to deal with a bunch of legal issues and I hate dealing with legal issues, so that's why I decided to invest in a security camera to catch him in the act and then send the footage to the proper authorities because it's a crime to abuse animals, and he will be fined and/or arrested.

D

DNM1

A female dog tends to be more "over protective" of their owner, plus, dogs can smell "fear",or, what you call "bad people"
The problem is caused sometimes by the owner, by over peting/spoiling the dog,especially when a puppy
:)

Attachments

• 32595092_588589084830185_1269862619284504576_n 2.jpeg
    32595092_588589084830185_1269862619284504576_n 2.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 48

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Beautiful dog. I had one similar looking a long time ago.

Something else worth mentioning. We call it, "passing down the leash".

e.g. You know your dog is unpredictable around certain people or situations. This dwells in your brain. While you are walking her, everything is fine and you are both calm. Then, you see [another dog, a person, whatever] and you tense up. You tighten the leash and perhaps wind it in shorter and tighter.

This results in the dog sensing your tension and then, he/she becomes tense as well. Not because of the person or situation. But, because the handler. Your tension "passes down the leash" to the dog.

So, be aware of that and watch yourself for it.

When your dog is on a leash, the leash should always be loose and hanging halfway to the ground. If your dog is pulling or has you on a tight leash..... you should pop in and see a trainer. Takes almost no time to teach ANY dog to walk on a loose lead. I have trained hundreds of dogs to do exactly that and it never took more than a couple lessons. Like anything else, it's all about knowing the right thing to do and the right way to do it.

Just tossing it out.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
A female dog tends to be more "over protective" of their owner, plus, dogs can smell "fear",or, what you call "bad people"
The problem is caused sometimes by the owner, by over peting/spoiling the dog,especially when a puppy

I think dawgs know what we are thinking, and they know good vs bad people. They are each so different in their personalities, and strays with whatever history they have.

My female tries to train me. Damn little bitch knows she has me wrapped around her tail. Oh well... :biggrin:

You want a smart and loyal dawg, get a wolfdog, preferably a pair. Just be ready for the work and time that relationship requires.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Remote collars work fine IN THE PROPER HANDS. I remember when you could only buy these through a dealer AND IT CAME WITH TRAINING.
I cringed the day I saw them for sale in the big box stores..
I hear you on this one. It was tough to make the decision to use it, but her actions one day convinced us we were fooling ourselves.

15 minutes into a 30 minute walk, the dog encounters a dog behind a fence in a yard. Aggression is triggered, dealt with through proper leash training and the walk continues. A full 15 minutes later, just before entering the house, she slips her leash. Damned if that dog doesn't make a beeline for the dog from 15 minutes earlier. Apparently she was holding a running conversation in her head with total fixation.

Though we'd never run across this before, proper work with the collar fixed it in short order. It still took another 6 months, but progress was significant and no one else was bitten. :)

I guess I am guilty of "over petting" her, but I wouldn't say excessively. I simply give her a back massage, rub her ears, pet her head, scratch underneath her chin, the basics. After she gets done barking at someone, I've then been overly petting her in an attempt to calm her down, but I guess that is not the right method.
Contact is good, 'calming' contact when they're triggered on some one/thing is not. When the dog is breaking the rules, your attempts at calming it are saying "Good Dog, Correct Response, Do the Same Thing Next Time!"

They need the pack nip from the leader when they break the rules. Comfort is for good behaving dogs. :tiphat:

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Contact is good, 'calming' contact when they're triggered on some one/thing is not. When the dog is breaking the rules, your attempts at calming it are saying "Good Dog, Correct Response, Do the Same Thing Next Time!"

They need the pack nip from the leader when they break the rules. Comfort is for good behaving dogs. :tiphat:

Wow. This makes complete sense. Thank you so much. I tried giving you positive Karma, but at the time it said I had to wait 24 hours to spread around Karma, but I did click that it was a helpful answer. Ever since reading that, that is what I've been doing.

Now, a new problem has emerged. She is very friendly to other dogs, and likes to smell them and play, but the majority of the dogs (besides my neighbors dog, who she unfortunately shares her food with, or just let's him eat it while staring at me, like "wtf") are much smaller, and must feel intimidated because they growl and bark at her, and she doesn't understand why.

But apart from all of that, I am about to go take her on at least a 30 minute walk to further get her used to a leash. As I mentioned, I'm not sure of her age, I'll find out when the vet arrives, but she's spent the prior years of her life on the streets, so she's never had a collar or a leash before as far as I know, unless she at one point had a home that was abusive, because when I put her collar on her, she licked my face and was happy as if she finally found "home".

I will keep everyone up to date on her progress, and once again, thank you Douglas. Sometimes I lack common sense, and your statement that I quoted hit me like a ton of bricks and made me realize that you are completely right.

Peace & Love,
Tetra

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Wow. The whole "can't teach an old dog new tricks" is complete BS, because in just two days, she is a completely different dog.

I've taken everyones advice, and now she is at the point, where instead of barking at people or going after them, she just slightly growls, in which I still correct her, via slightly pulling on the leash, so soon hopefully she won't be doing that.

As far as the old drunk man. As much as it pained me, I decided to be the better person in the situation, and since the training was working, I forced myself to be friendly with him as he passed by, and the dog was fine, so I made small talk saying something along the lines of "She's not as agressive towards you anymore. I've been training her, thanks to the internet." and then he proceeded to give me some french bread to give to her. (I know it wasn't poisoned because he had just gotten home from the bakery, and the bread was fresh, and he let me choose one) so I thanked him, and he also let me take a few peaches that he had bought as well, which didn't poison me, so I guess kindness can go a long way, even though I don't like him and I don't like the fact that he was kicking my dog.

But I suppose, giving him the benefit of the doubt, now that my dog won't be chasing him and trying to bite him while barking at him at an insane decibil level, he won't have any reason to kick her.

I also have been taking her for walks around the neighborhood as well as jogs, and she has been doing great. I had to get a metal chain leash, because one time when I was talking to a friendly neighbor, she thought it was a toy and in the span of a few minutes, she ripped it in half. Now, she doesn't mind me putting the leash on her at all, she actually gets excited and happy. She will occasionally try to lead me to her food and/or water, for a quick break, and then we continue our walks and jogs.

Since you all have helped me so much, and clearly there are some professionals in here, I'm wondering if you can give me any advice on how to teach her things such as "sit", and "stay"? The only "trick" she knows, is jumping up on me and standing on her hind legs. I simply pat my hip a few times and she jumps up and let's me hold her front paws while she looks at me happy, but I'd like to teach her more tricks such as "sit" and "stay".

Thank you in advance.

Peace & Love,
Tetra

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Sit and stay are pretty easy to teach but it's tough to explain in writing. Since the dog is responding so well, seek out a private trainer in your area. A 4 to 6 week course will usually be about 100 bux. maybe 150. The knowledge you will gain in those few weeks will be with you and your dog(s) forever. It's well worth the effort and cost.

We taught. Sit, Stay, Come when called. Down, down/stay, wait. And, if we had time and the class was right, we did bed stays and some long line training.

Once you know how to do it, it's with you forever.

Good luck and great that it's working out.

P.S. I don't like chain leads. I like the plain nylon. If the dog puts it in his mouth or chews it, pull the lead INTO his mouth. Again, easy to show you, hard to explain. Think like a bridle in a horse. If you snap the lead INTO his mouth, generally, they spit it out. After a while, the game is no fun.

P.S.S. Jumping up is bad. LOL

Sorry, I can't resist. I loved dog training. When I first started training, I used to see people in the parks with their dogs pulling and tugging on them I would walk up and help out with a little instruction. About 80% just got pissed. Only a very few want to hear it. My mentor used to tell me, "Don't do it for free. It just pisses people off. Once they are paying you for the advice, they open up a lot more. Just like psychiatry.". LOL He was a fucking amazing trainer. He would walk into the training building with 8 or 10 dogs all barking and screaming and all of a sudden.... his presence was noticed. It was like one dog passed it to another. In just a few moments, the room is quiet and all the dogs are looking at him. Fucking spooky, in a way. They KNEW he was the alpha the moment he entered the room. And, it was like that every class, every time. Weird.

Anyway, good luck.

T

TheForgotten

Good job tet

:tiphat:

Yes sir....

I remember seeing a dog training show where the trainer yanked hard on the leash when bad behaviour occurred, then once the behaviour started to subside a light tug had the same effect.

What i like most is that the dog is loved enough to care so much....:tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
That is called a "leash correction". It is a very quick 'snap" of the leash. You don't pull or tug on the dog. It is supposed to simulate the nip on the back of the neck that Mother doggie would give him if he were misbehaving.

A leash correction, followed by the command word (stop, hush, quiet, whatever). After a short while, you switch to the command word first, then the leash correction. Eventually, all you need is the command word.

IME, all dog training prepares for "off leash". All training must be geared towards still being able to give corrections. even without a leash.

And one very important thing to remember during your training sessions.... treats treats treats. Keep treats in your left hand pocket and always let your dog know treats come from your pocket, not a jar in the cupboard or wherever. Always from YOU and your pocket. I never allowed strangers to give treats to my dog.

If you do 'formal' training sessions, don't go longer than a half hour at a time. Especially with puppies. The idea is to make it fun for them and they get bored after a short time.

Wish I could spend a couple hours with you. As I have been told a zillion times, "It changed the relationship between me and my dog". Training is a life changer for you and your dog. Imagine being able to 'talk' to your dog and communicate almost like you can with a human.

OK,enough for now. LOL

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow. The whole "can't teach an old dog new tricks" is complete BS, because in just two days, she is a completely different dog.

I've taken everyones advice, and now she is at the point, where instead of barking at people or going after them, she just slightly growls, in which I still correct her, via slightly pulling on the leash, so soon hopefully she won't be doing that.

As far as the old drunk man. As much as it pained me, I decided to be the better person in the situation, and since the training was working, I forced myself to be friendly with him as he passed by, and the dog was fine, so I made small talk saying something along the lines of "She's not as agressive towards you anymore. I've been training her, thanks to the internet." and then he proceeded to give me some french bread to give to her. (I know it wasn't poisoned because he had just gotten home from the bakery, and the bread was fresh, and he let me choose one) so I thanked him, and he also let me take a few peaches that he had bought as well, which didn't poison me, so I guess kindness can go a long way, even though I don't like him and I don't like the fact that he was kicking my dog.

But I suppose, giving him the benefit of the doubt, now that my dog won't be chasing him and trying to bite him while barking at him at an insane decibil level, he won't have any reason to kick her.

I also have been taking her for walks around the neighborhood as well as jogs, and she has been doing great. I had to get a metal chain leash, because one time when I was talking to a friendly neighbor, she thought it was a toy and in the span of a few minutes, she ripped it in half. Now, she doesn't mind me putting the leash on her at all, she actually gets excited and happy. She will occasionally try to lead me to her food and/or water, for a quick break, and then we continue our walks and jogs.

Since you all have helped me so much, and clearly there are some professionals in here, I'm wondering if you can give me any advice on how to teach her things such as "sit", and "stay"? The only "trick" she knows, is jumping up on me and standing on her hind legs. I simply pat my hip a few times and she jumps up and let's me hold her front paws while she looks at me happy, but I'd like to teach her more tricks such as "sit" and "stay".

Thank you in advance.

Peace & Love,
Tetra

Nice one Dread,,,,,,
We all love a happy ending,,,,,neighbour giving doggie a treat must have felt good,,,,,,
Many happy times to come,,,:dance013:,,,,
Well done mate,,,,,s2:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Good on you, she knows more rules now. :D So glad to hear things are better with you -and- the neighbor. :) Relationships are like a stove... unless you put in fuel you won't get any heat. ;)

Sunshineinabag

HEY TET

HEY TET

now help me figure out how to get him to stop screaming at my dog! rofl lmao just joshin!

these two eagles sit a mile from my house eatin fish

Attachments

• 20170612 185837
    20170612 185837
    44 KB · Views: 66
  • 89603553_10216555010297478_64079103875088384_o.jpg
    89603553_10216555010297478_64079103875088384_o.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 89719084_10216555013737564_4988324344997347328_o.jpg
    89719084_10216555013737564_4988324344997347328_o.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 50

armedoldhippy

Veteran
you WANT your dog to stop barking at "bad people"? hjell, i can't get mine to bark at folks sneaking around. i'd give her a damn doggie treat if she WOULD bark at them! i'm down to one now, dammit. had to have little Peanut put to sleep this morning. bad way to start a day...or year. fuck...

rolandomota

Veteran
Dogs should not eat bread the yeast gives them a stomach ache chocolate and coffee they can't digest it. It will kill their liver and they will die fast garlic and onion destroys their oxygen carrying red blood cells trident chewing gum is bad very bad instant death almost due to xylitol, avocado is poisonous no cheese or dairy products they are lactose intolerant

Be careful what you feed your dog grapes and raisins kill their kidneys salt makes the overly thirsty they can die from drinking too much water yea you can die if you hold your piss long enough or drink too much water at one time before your body can process it your lungs fill with water and you can't absorb oxygen
Careful with antifreeze dogs will lick the ground sometimes and you think o its nothing but it could be antifreeze alcohol will help humans digest antifreeze not sure about dogs, or else crystal build up in kidneys can kill them

Beer is bad very bad can't digest hops you need dog beer its not real beer
Lots of people slowly are harming even killing their pets without knowing