What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone into hummingbirds?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've gotten into watching them the last couple of years. i'm even making my own feeders for the kamikaze flying little fucks. but, i've hit a snag. i'm no longer sure that they are even real! yeah, i see the pictures in magazines, and what LOOKS like them in my yard. but the little bastards seem to be able to teleport themselves from point A to point B without my seeing them. one minute, nothing. blink, and "HOLY SHIT! where did THEY come from? and, i found what looked like a dead one. i picked it up with one hand, and dropped it into the other. NO sensation, lighter than a feather, intangible as a passing thought. utterly weightless i mean. but absolutely beautiful...

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love ‘em … my feeder leaks it’s empty in two days, But they definitely come more in the afternoon then in the morning…. really fleeting

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
.............. i found what looked like a dead one. i picked it up with one hand, and dropped it into the other. NO sensation, lighter than a feather, intangible as a passing thought. utterly weightless i mean. but absolutely beautiful...

....... ever seen a hummingbird skeleton? It will humble you. ;)

Nannymouse

We had hummers in Az. Territorial little dudes. One male will stake out territory, have maybe three wives each in separate tree. They seemed to be mostly interested in the eucalyptus tree blossoms and the Desert Bird of Paradise(which is far different than the usual Bird of Paradise plant).

An old neighbor of ours (you know, within ten miles of each other) has built quite the place for himself, so i hear, have not visited, but supposedly he has great gardening and landscape skills, he says that if you plant right, hummers will show up. Cannot recall ever seeing one, around these parts, myself, though.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I saw a post in facebook mexico expat group, about hummingbirds dying from fungus. Only supposed to use plain sugar and water, and sanitize feeder once a week. Showed hummingbird dying with tongue covered in white fungus, and could not suck it back in.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I saw a post in facebook mexico expat group, about hummingbirds dying from fungus. Only supposed to use plain sugar and water, and sanitize feeder once a week. Showed hummingbird dying with tongue covered in white fungus, and could not suck it back in.

you are (allegedly) supposed to change your nectar every 2 days, more often if it is hot because warm sugar water can ferment and get nasty FAST! i rinse mine every change & take them apart & clean them with bleach etc every week or so.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
i've gotten into watching them the last couple of years. i'm even making my own feeders for the kamikaze flying little fucks. but, i've hit a snag. i'm no longer sure that they are even real! yeah, i see the pictures in magazines, and what LOOKS like them in my yard. but the little bastards seem to be able to teleport themselves from point A to point B without my seeing them. one minute, nothing. blink, and "HOLY SHIT! where did THEY come from? and, i found what looked like a dead one. i picked it up with one hand, and dropped it into the other. NO sensation, lighter than a feather, intangible as a passing thought. utterly weightless i mean. but absolutely beautiful...

Yeah they're real and fast too, they go from zero to mach chicken in an instant.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
most of my local birds have apparently begun the southern trek. figured it would begin in September, but only 1 female seen at my feeders today. she looked lonely. should start seeing other migrators soon. i leave my feeders out until late October/early November for late arrivals/young birds making their first trip.

H G Griffin

....... ever seen a hummingbird skeleton? It will humble you. ;)

I'm missing something. What were you referring to?

xruby-throated-hummingbird-skeleton.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ZGmC26SaSt.jpg

Goodherb

Yeah they're real and fast too, they go from zero to mach chicken in an instant.

They make strange sound ,when they're dotting from one tree/flowers . Something ,it sound more like a hog/pig in these mountains!

When ever (rarely) they rest (on a limb), just watching them bring a sense of peace!

Helicopter birds!

Goodherb

Yesterday , as I was thinking about them (hummingbirds) one came within (6) six feet , Infront of me, just hovering . It was hoping to be photographed ! My phone camera ,best pic !

Attachments

• photo2070796.jpg
    photo2070796.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 105
  • photo2070797.jpg
    photo2070797.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 99
  • photo2070798.jpg
    photo2070798.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 98
  • photo2070799.jpg
    photo2070799.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 93

Goodherb

Sure is !
I must say , since i stop post on this trend , I don't know if one could say so. For instead , take today, while washing up few utensils,one came closer to me than yesterday .

These are moreso ,wilder than those that live in an around civilisation !

Attachments

• photo2070918.jpg
    photo2070918.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 85

Gry

How neat, am in the city myself, and the birds are are very plentiful here.
Often thought that they live almost in a different dimension.
Have many cats here, and they do always watch the birds, but they
seem never ever to even try to go after them.
Almost magical to hear the sound of them as they fly nearby.
Dusk here now, just looked out and they are here feeding.
Guess I should go grab a glass of iced tea, and sit outside to
watch them.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'm jealous of folks with lots of birds, lol. if i have out 7 feeders , one dominant male will set up shop & chase dang near all others away. i wonder if it's only the ruby-throat birds that are that ornery? i see youtube videos of shitpots of hummers buzzing around feeders/bird baths..

Latest posts

Latest posts