What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dobermans

theclearspot

Im interested in getting a Doberman but in Europe so mostly working Euros which are hyper energy. Would like a Show line not easy to find. Anyone had a Dobie?

Nannymouse

Have not owned one, but have been very impressed with Dobies. They seem to be very intelligent and trainable. Love their quiet feet, they are up on the pads, so you don't hear the click click of toenails. Sharp looking, sleek. I might have gotten one, but by the time that i was finacially able, i figured that i was too old to bring in a new pet. Also, they bred them to be giants, which i would have preferred a smaller dog.

If it's the look that you like, the German Pinchers are smaller, but maybe far too high strung...i've not researched them enough to know if there are more mellow lines, but they are known for being rattlesnake killers.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I had one as a kid. Most loyal and protective dog ever. He was super well trained by my dad and was a awesome dog. No problem leaving the 2 kids with him and all would be good. The only problems we ever had were with him being to protective of the family and the 2 kids. We went on a camping trip and the dog and my sister and me went up a trail. After a bit we turned around and headed down. My dad had followed us without us knowing and hid in the trees as we came back down. He started making noises like to scare us as we got close and the dog completely went into protect mode. He got in front of both of us and started growling and going to the tree. He would not let us get in front of him. When my dad stepped from the tree to show himself the dog changed back to normal instantly. The dogs top priority was keeping us safe. I have a Poodle/Doberman mix now as an adult. Very high energy and he is a big boy, about 90 pounds now and just turning 2. Needs a lot of running and work to be happy but they are great. Smart to, very smart.
No reason to dock the ears, they can be problematic. Just go with the natural look. I think they look less threatening with normal ears. Great, great animals.
Here is my big boy. Poodle/Doberman mix at about 1.5 years.
fetch?photoid=17908341.jpg

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im interested in getting a Doberman but in Europe so mostly working Euros which are hyper energy. Would like a Show line not easy to find. Anyone had a Dobie?

Love Doberman’s ,,,,if you go to the owner and breeders club in the country that your in then you should be able to source a puppy but expect to pay much more for a “ show line” pup,,,
All the best and post some pics when ready,,,,
pedigree of both parents is paramount,,,

Montuno

...como el Son...

I see the thread is a year old... But I don't understand (I dont speak English) what you are looking for exactly: "Show" or "Work"? I'm not sure which one you were looking for...
If you dedicate yourself or are a fan of "Show", I have nothing to say. If you don't dedicate yourself to it, but you want a dog of this type (and you are not in Europe), I don't see the point of the enormous expense of importing it. If what you are looking for are Work lines, these are the lines that you describe as "hyperenergetic", not the ones of "Show aka Beauty". And note that if we talk about work and dobes, it is clear what kind of work it is.
Here, since I do not know your skills, allow me to repeat a general warning to the neophyte public on the subject, because both around me and in the time I have been at ICMAG I have read about various experiences of members with dogs of European breeds and lines of work in protection (in my area the most common are with Malis, German Shepherd, Presa Canario, Caucasian Mastiff and even Spanish Mastiff, always talking about lines of work, of course) have ended in disaster, and it is something that I am also seeing in my country . So that the neophyte knows what I am talking about and saves me long explanations, before acquiring any of these puppies, I think it is revealing to visit one of these litters before: we will have a slight idea of what we are going to take home... As an advance, to tell you that as a joke the visitor is challenged to see how many seconds he can stand in shorts and flip-flops without running away; if you go with boots and pants, the best puppy you can take home hanging from the teeth in your pants.. If we don't know how to inhibit a puppy's bite, or practice letting go ("auss"), it is better to learn with other types of dogs, unless we have expert help.
These dobe-type working dogs (Mali, Dutch, Beuceron, German Shepherd) are also very reactive and sensitive, and the errors of treatment/education with them are amplified, apart from the fact that biting is usually the form of expression in the face of these errors.

And of course, remember that for example, a typical Show German Shepherd is more like having a poodle than a Working German Shepherd. Or having a Spanish Beauty Mastiff (MEO) is more like having a St. Bernard than a Spanish Working Mastiff.
A Show Doberman that is unexpectedly tagged by a Judge is expected not to move. Of one of Work, that bites to him.

That said, I'd like to mention that the last dobe I had, "Ras II", a grandson of Indio de Swarland , died a long time ago. My current Working German Shepherd (I don't know if DDR or Czech Line), is an adoption after a double abandonment and someone bitten in the process.

Summarizing:
Of Show or Beauty: I do not think.
Work: check the results of the different National Work Championships for Doberman (in your own country there could be very good ones). But find out what you're getting into first, and more so if you have a family.

Greetings with my best wishes.

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
had ‘em all at one time or another…….but wouldn’t feed show stock …….weak nerved, genetically trashed, good looker….never made sense to me……so much of natural quality working genes has been diluted …..
something for everybody I guess…..
best dobie had was a cross to pit bull…..smaller framed dobie with muscle, but color/marked dobie….”Thrasher”…..dog did it all and was kept garden/me safe…..

Montuno

...como el Son...
A little Civil Defense aka Real Protection training with 2 dobes:

Ricardo Martinez Bocija, professional animal trainer owner of the Animal Training Center "La Fuente" (dogs, horses,etc.) appears in this video appearing with two Dobermann (DANAFOX'S Jazz & Fara) during their training in Mondioring,RCI,IPO, and/or Civil Defense aka Real Protection
Guide and owner: Lorena.

Last edited:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A little Civil Defense aka Real Protection training with 2 dobes:

Ricardo Martinez Bocija, professional animal trainer owner of the Animal Training Center "La Fuente" (dogs, horses,etc.) appears in this video appearing with two Dobermann (DANAFOX'S Jazz & Fara) during their training in Mondioring,RCI,IPO, and/or Civil Defense aka Real Protection
Guide and owner: Lorena.

Interesting,,,,
Montuno ,,you don’t mention that other Great Spanish Mastiff,,
the Presa Canario,,,,
very popular as pets but working dogs really have to be German Shepards or Malnois - Belgian Shepard Dog ,,,,,
Mastiffs or Dobermans make great “ security” dogs but the German and Belgian shepards dogs are the best for this type of work imho,,,
My Labrador is a great working breed but not security more fetching game,
Eid Mubarak Montuno,,,,,s2

Montuno

...como el Son...
I did mention that the Presa Canario is one of the most popularly used breeds here for Protection, especially for Guard-Defense. Most of those considered Presas Canarios that are seen as pets, I believe, are really Dogos Canarios (the "show version"). Here it is not considered to be a "mastiff" type dog, but rather a "presa-dogo-bulldog" type. The 2 proper Spanish mastiffs are the Leonese (and its variant from La Mancha/Extremedure), and the one from the Pyrenees.
To Protection Work we have other breeds, too: Spanish Alano, Mallorca Dogo & Majorero Canario.

I think you identify Work in Protection with exclusively Defense-Attack, and especially in its sports or police/military facets. It is clear that in this section Mali is the current star. But in Guard-Defense, whether civil or even military, they cannot be compared to a Caucasian Mastiff, for example.

And of course, not all Work is Protection. The differences between Show and Work I suppose will also be very evident in the Labrador, too.

Here is a video clarifying the differences between Show and Work, in breeds like the German S, Dobe, Rotti.

Presas Canarios training Protection Work (Sport & Civil)

Pd: Gracias por tus buenos deseos, @944s2 , (supongo te refieres a la Fiesta del Cordero, pues me lo deseas en árabe aljamiado), que te agradezco igualmente como si no fuera atéo, je,je.
Asimismo te la deseo a tí y l@s tuy@s, si la celebrais.
Salud!

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Dutch shepherds have shown some nice examples as well……
‘I’ve always looked for naturals…..dogs that are bred strong and show it at an early stage….so many referred to as great in working events are man made sleeve dogs……and would never breed to or want anything from such a line…….but credit given to trainers that take average dogs and make em look better than the genepool come from….
not sure how many remember Al Banuelos and his dog Predator…..…..

Latest posts

Latest posts